Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Truman_Sparks:

I just looked on the NGK website cross reference, and it said to use their CR5HS (stock number 2874). Used the plug number (Torch brand A5RTC) from the HF manual.
View Quote
Thank you! For anyone watching, I called and spoke to a rep.  He said confirmed CR5HSA and CR5HSB cross.  One is the threaded post,one is regular post style.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Paralleling is a function of the inverter circuitry, can't readily be done with the traditional "smoke and noise" types.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
Man it would be awesome if you could parallel these. I would buy three.
Paralleling is a function of the inverter circuitry, can't readily be done with the traditional "smoke and noise" types.
I know, but it's so cheap
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#3]
View All Quotes
Man it would be awesome if you could parallel these. I would buy three.
And MUCH easier to troubleshoot and repair in the field.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I finally found this to find what would work on the predator 3500.

F7RTC  substitutes
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:36:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DAIVIPAI2K5] [#5]
I put the NGk BPR7ES in mine that someone mention. I compared it to the stock bosch plug. They appeared the same. It runs the same as the bosch in my predator 3500 inverter.

Anyone have a link to a spare carb. for them
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I searched eBay and several came up. They span the price range and the appearance is a little different.

I'm going to wait until my gen comes in before I decide to roll the dice on a spare carb.

Plus, how should it be tested? If you test it to make sure it performs then it's going to have gas in it while stored. Is that OK? I guess you could run some high stabile solution through it then box it back up until needed.

They seem cheap so at least you aren't out much if it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:32:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#7]
Just got back from 4 weeks of archery elk, took my 20’ camper and the Pulsar 2000/1600 watt.   That was a good genny for that app.

Used a 100’ 12ga extension cord to get power to the camper, the generator could barely be heard 75’ away.  With a strong pull, it started first pull every time.   I used it mainly at night, when the heater and TV was being run.  Very little fuel was used, about three gallons.

It would struggle with the fridge on electric, as the fridge heating element draws 9 amps alone. Figured that out quick and l left the fridge on propane.    Max output appears spot on, about 13 amps.

Overall happy with that genset.  Light, quiet and sips fuel.  Only gripe is refueling from a 5 gal can pretty much guaranteed I would overfill and spill fuel.   The fuel tank design gives you about a second from full to overflowing, and using a 1 gallon can let’s a guy control the flow much better.   Still a great little generator, even better at the 279.00 I paid on the ebay sale this winter.

That’s my power plant way back in the trees, and I keep it fueled with ethanol free fuel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:10:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#8]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

Plus, how should it be tested? If you test it to make sure it performs then it's going to have gas in it while stored. Is that OK? I guess you could run some high stabile solution through it then box it back up until needed.
View Quote
Most carbs have a drain plug (or screw) in the bottom of the bowl.

You can also remove the bowl completely to wipe it dry.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Engineer:
Sam's Club has the A-iPower AP4000-A on sale. (Home Depot has the same model for around $260)

https://i.imgur.com/udUJrf3.jpg

EDIT: Fat fingered the Home Depot price.
View Quote
I bet the shipping cost is brutal
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Stoop:
I bet the shipping cost is brutal
View Quote

It did say that there was free shipping, so there should be only tax on the genny.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Just got back from 4 weeks of archery elk, took my 20’ camper and the Pulsar 2000/1600 watt.   That was a good genny for that app.

Used a 100’ 12ga extension cord to get power to the camper, the generator could barely be heard 75’ away.  With a strong pull, it started first pull every time.   I used it mainly at night, when the heater and TV was being run.  Very little fuel was used, about three gallons.

It would struggle with the fridge on electric, as the fridge heating element draws 9 amps alone. Figured that out quick and l left the fridge on propane.    Max output appears spot on, about 13 amps.

Overall happy with that genset.  Light, quiet and sips fuel.  Only gripe is refueling from a 5 gal can pretty much guaranteed I would overfill and spill fuel.   The fuel tank design gives you about a second from full to overflowing, and using a 1 gallon can let’s a guy control the flow much better.   Still a great little generator, even better at the 279.00 I paid on the ebay sale this winter.

That’s my power plant way back in the trees, and I keep it fueled with ethanol free fuel.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/87A48C1B-6E56-4313-A82B-A077BACD4E82-678236.JPG
View Quote
Looks like a good time and that fridge will run a long time on one tank of propane.

As for filling the genny I found out that it was easy to overfill my honda's, but I started using
a bigger funnel and a head lamp I could see the fuel level better and did a better job of not
over filling.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I searched eBay and several came up. They span the price range and the appearance is a little different.

I'm going to wait until my gen comes in before I decide to roll the dice on a spare carb.

They seem cheap so at least you aren't out much if it doesn't work.
View Quote
Just start it once a month or so.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

Just start it once a month or so.
View Quote
I ditched some of my gas lawn equip and bought corded stuff. I use the generator
to power it. I get to use shorter cords and the generator gets exercised as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:
I think my Predator needs some Wheelz.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79948/wagon-326945.JPG
View Quote
I'm planning on getting the flatbed wagon for mine. Everything will be in one place. Plus I could really use a flat one for the yard. There is a parking lot sale coming up, I'll probably use my coupon to get it.

I know, I know, I'm quoting an old post. I want to be able to easily move mine across the yard if I want, by myself, and those little castors won't cut it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm planning on getting the flatbed wagon for mine. Everything will be in one place. Plus I could really use a flat one for the yard. There is a parking lot sale coming up, I'll probably use my coupon to get it.

I know, I know, I'm quoting an old post. I want to be able to easily move mine across the yard if I want, by myself, and those little castors won't cut it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GLHX2112:
I think my Predator needs some Wheelz.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79948/wagon-326945.JPG

That's a great idea kitting it all on a cart.

Does that yard cart have solid tires? I have the worst luck with pneumatic tires always going flat or really low.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
The one I'm looking at says 10 inch pneumatic tires. I would prefer not pneumatic ones as sometimes they are installed such that the valve is not straight and the rim cuts it. At least that's how my gorilla carts are.

Oh well, I'll just replace them with what I want if they go bad.

But I have a different question. Can I get a long ground wire and connect it to the ground rod to my home service or would it be better to get it's own rod.

Its supposed to be "portable" and there is a limit to how long of a rod I can pound in the ground, then pull up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
The HF flat bed wagon does list pneumatic tires.

Looks like a pretty good deal:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-mesh-deck-steel-wagon-62576.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

I ditched some of my gas lawn equip and bought corded stuff. I use the generator
to power it. I get to use shorter cords and the generator gets exercised as well.
View Quote
That's a great idea. I've been meaning to get a electric trimmer. I've already got the electric hedger. And I confirm generation at the same time
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By danpass:

View Quote
THAT will be my next hf purchase! I was wondering how they would get me next.

Ive been kicking around the idea of buying up various generators new during the off season, lovingly breaking them in, and selling for appropriate markup ahead of storms when local stores run out from panic buys. Not talking about gouging, just a cost increase of fuel and parts used during the break in plus a bit for labor. Id keep meticulous records of the break in for each unit in its manual, use only quality parts and fuel, oil, etc. Think theres enough of a market for that sort of thing to make it worth the effort? Worst case I end up stuck with a dozen or so generators of various sizes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:47:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CVO] [#20]
Originally Posted By danpass:

View Quote
Just buy a extra set of wheels when you purchase the cart, because the may only last one year.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Personally never used a predator “hf” generator.  Buddy that I camp with regularly bought a ~7000w predator generator.  Runs his camper fine.  About 11 months after purchase the on off switch broke.  Went to harbor freight.  Gave him a new one off the shelf no questions asked.   He regularly draws about 30amps in his camper.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#22]
$399 Champion

New model.  Trying to decide on this or older square stackable 2000w one for $50 more.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ffemt596:
$399 Champion

New model.  Trying to decide on this or older square stackable 2000w one for $50 more.
View Quote
I just saw that one at TSC a few days ago. It's not even on Champion's website yet. Looks interesting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ffemt596:
$399 Champion

View Quote
And yet another new Champion model (thanks to Popov for the find)
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

And yet another new Champion model (thanks to Popov for the find)
View Quote
Save 50 bucks and get better features + 200 more running watts with AiPower SUA2300i
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I love generators.  Good thread and I actually read all 37 pages.
So I have a question - I have a Briggs and Stratton 5550 / 8550 that I bought after Hurricane Charley in 2004 and it works great.  The day before Irma I hooked up this transfer switch:

Amazon Product
  • For use with any portable generator that has up to 30-amp output, nema L1430
  • Double throw rocker switches absolutely eliminate the possibility of power back feeding to the utility line or to your generator when power is restored
  • 2 pole circuits allows 240-volt circuits - perfect for well or sump pump applications, if a two pole circuit is not needed, the tie bar can be removed to allow for two single pole circuits

I love it and it works great.  Powers everything I need in my house minus central air and other large 240V items.  I do have it hooked up via the L14-30 240V plug.  Sadly it is loud and likes gas so this thread got me thinking.  If I buy one of these 2000 watt miracles will:

1.  I be able to power two small (5000-6000 btu) window units ACs and nothing else?  I figure at night I don't need anything else.  Not to mention it'll be quiet and save gas.

2.  Can I use an L5-30 to L14-30 adapter and everything will work the same (minus the capacity of course)?  I'm looking at this adapter:

Amazon Product
  • 1 piece AC Power Adapter L5-30P to L14-30R 125V/3750W
  • Generator L5 30 AMP 3-prong locking male plug
  • Generator L14 30 AMP 4-prong locking female connector (X-pole connected to Y-pole ,two hots bridged)

As far as generators go I like them all but would lean towards the Ai from Costco with the Yamaha engine and the L5-30 plug.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I got my predator 3500 yesterday. The battery was already fully charged. I'm going to wait till I'm off to start it and break it in, which will be this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I got my predator 3500 yesterday. The battery was already fully charged. I'm going to wait till I'm off to start it and break it in, which will be this weekend.
View Quote
I can't recall, did you get a battery tender?  I have one on my big generator.

Battery tender
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a couple of battery chargers. The battery should stay charged from my monthly runs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
The consensus on this topic is to switch to a better spark plug and run your unit for 1/2 hour or so every month under a moderate load.  I've been doing this on my HF 3500 since April and the battery really cranks it, so I suspect a tender is not needed except for long term storage, which requires some other steps regarding fuel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I already have my spark plugs.

I want a ground wire and spare air filter. I'm also planning on a flatbed wagon so one person can haul it across the yard if need be.

It should fit nicely in my mud room, and it will be easy to roll it out onto the patio away from anything that could burn. The patio only has an umbrella which would be taken down in a weather event.

I can run a cord through a window to supply the bedrooms at one end of the house, and another through the mudroom doggie door to supply the den and kitchen.

There is a ground rod for the cable there but I'm thinking it should have it's own ground rod.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#32]

I want a ground wire and spare air filter.
View Quote

Spare air filters can be had from a third-party seller on eBay:

https://ebay.us/VgCvUo
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm planning installing a 30amp L5-30 inlet box for my house to use 2 2kw generators in parallel. If I dont need the power of parallel gennies at a given time, can I power the house breaker with 1 2kw generator using a 110v to L5-30 adapter into the inlet box?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#34]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
I'm planning installing a 30amp L5-30 inlet box for my house to use 2 2kw generators in parallel. If I dont need the power of parallel gennies at a given time, can I power the house breaker with 1 2kw generator using a 110v to L5-30 adapter into the inlet box?
View Quote
Just to make sure you understand, that using 2 120v generators in parallel does not give you 240v service....

That said, yes, you can use a cordset made with the two hots shorted together as previously discussed in detail for either a single or paralleled 120v generators. If you put together a cordset with two regular household type plugs on it, you could use it either with two inverter generators in parallel, or if you only have one generator running, just plug both plugs into the same generator.

I would strongly advise not attempting to connect separate 120v generators to the two sides of 240v service. Such an arrangement would provide a random voltage somewhere between 0 and 240v to any 240v connected devices.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Just to make sure you understand, that using 2 120v generators in parallel does not give you 240v service....

That said, yes, you can use a cordset made with the two hots shorted together as previously discussed in detail for either a single or paralleled 120v generators. If you put together a cordset with two regular household type plugs on it, you could use it either with two inverter generators in parallel, or if you only have one generator running, just plug both plugs into the same generator.

I would strongly advise not attempting to connect separate 120v generators to the two sides of 240v service. Such an arrangement would provide a random voltage somewhere between 0 and 240v to any 240v connected devices.
View All Quotes

Exactly.
There should be no difference in hooking up a single or a paralleled pair of 120V generators to that panel.  
The cord leading to the panel inlet is identical.
The only difference is if you have 2000W or 4000W available for loads.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
If you plan to power a house get a smoke and noise genny and a long cord and build a box to reduce noise.  My 8k/5k Genny will run my entire house 1200sqft minus AC for 24hrs on 5 gallons. I can switch everything off and run the AC if needed, but have a window shaker for sleeping.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#37]

If you plan to power a house get a smoke and noise genny and a long cord and build a box to reduce noise.  My 8k/5k Genny will run my entire house 1200sqft minus AC for 24hrs on 5 gallons. I can switch everything off and run the AC if needed, but have a window shaker for sleeping.
View Quote
I ran what I needed in a 3200sqft house for 12 hours on under two gallons of gas with a pair of 2kW inverter gennys, some of time parllelled, some of the time single genny ops.
I only pull out the 7kW 240V unit to run the water heater, well pump or shop.

Standard stuff; internet, TV, DVR, a few lights, refrigerator, septic pump and occaisionally the microwave.

Don't burn gas you don't need to if you can help it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#38]
I know most of the time people are looking for more watts... but this looks pretty neat actually, for outdoor work or light duty needs. The fuel would be easy to handle.

900 watts, fueled by small disposable propane cylinders.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-Recreation-Oil-Funnel/263858750127

Attachment Attached File

2/3 the price would be more palatable though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I know most of the time people are looking for more watts... but this looks pretty neat actually, for outdoor work or light duty needs. The fuel would be easy to handle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-Recreation-Oil-Funnel/263858750127

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58237/s-l1600-684391.JPG

View Quote
I did a quick cost analysis.  For equal runtime, the cost of gas vs. propane is roughly equal, except the gas generator is a 2000/1800.

The gas generator is slightly quieter, at least on paper.

If you don't need all the watts, this is 52 db, vs the 61 db of the Ryobi and is slightly more efficient than the 2000w.

1200w gas Gen for 380

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
I don't understand the point of powering a house with anything else. It doesn't seem worth the effort to go to all that trouble when you can't run 240 volts.

I could have gotten by with a 2000 watt but I didn't want to run the gen right up to the capacity. Plus a neighbor can plug in.

I just want my food storage, TV cable modem and fans. Light I guess is nice but truth be told I don't turn on a lot of lights anyway because a headlamp is easier and I already do that.

A few cords in the house will be almost what I have now. I cook with gas, have a gas grill, plus have my camping backpacking shit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:37:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#41]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58237/s-l1600-684391.JPG

View Quote
I got one of those last year with a 30% of coupon for soething like $269.
It's a cleaner, easier operating one of these, with better output.
Its good for remote tool use and battery charging.
700W is a bit low though.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Review-of-the-79-Harbor-Freight-Generator-with-pics-56k-noway-update-page-14/18-632490/
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

I got one of those last year with a 30% of coupon for soething like $169.
It's a cleaner, easier operating one of these, with better output.
Its good for remote tool use and battery charging.
700W is a bit low though.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Review-of-the-79-Harbor-Freight-Generator-with-pics-56k-noway-update-page-14/18-632490/
View Quote

That's a nice price. I picked one up on sale, but it was not nearly as low as $169.

I also have a Buffalo Tools Sportsman 1000 when Sam's Club had them on sale for $148.64. It's an 800/1000 watt inverter generator and very easy to drag around the property for small things. There's something nice about the portability of the 1000 watt-sized inverter generators. I'd love to have an EU1000i if they didn't cost so much.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Engineer:

That's a nice price. I picked one up on sale, but it was not nearly as low as $169.

I also have a Buffalo Tools Sportsman 1000 when Sam's Club had them on sale for $148.64. It's an 800/1000 watt inverter generator and very easy to drag around the property for small things. There's something nice about the portability of the 1000 watt-sized inverter generators. I'd love to have an EU1000i if they didn't cost so much.
View Quote
Whoops, Just checked my ebay account.  $269.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#44]
A 'pocket' inverter generator does look interesting.

Just to have one, if nothing else.  Yeah, I'm like that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Champion had a 1KW inverter model for a while - Not sure why they discontinued it.

If they did something with noise specs comparable to Honda's EU1000i (42 dB!!! ), I'd be all over that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ffemt596] [#46]
Ebay has 15% off with "picksoon" code, up to $100 off.  Got a great deal on a champion dual fuel 3400 watt inverter gennie.

ETA:  It ends at 8pm 9/27.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#47]
You can get the pulsar 2k for 297 shipped right now on ebay with today's code
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#48]
You can get the pulsar 2k for 297 shipped right now on ebay with today's code
View Quote
Would you mind posting a bit more info. Every Pulsar 2K I'm seeing is about $500. What code? Link or item #?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:09:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin] [#49]
Originally Posted By pdm:

Would you mind posting a bit more info. Every Pulsar 2K I'm seeing is about $500. What code? Link
View Quote
Code is "picksoon"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-2000-Watt-Portable-Gasoline-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-PG2000IS/262485617488?epid=24019360096&hash=item3d1d5cab50

Eta not sure of that will work for you but it works for me
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Code is "picksoon"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-2000-Watt-Portable-Gasoline-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-PG2000IS/262485617488?epid=24019360096&hash=item3d1d5cab50

Eta not sure of that will work for you but it works for me
View Quote
Just ordered one for $297.49

Pulsar

1 hour left on 15% off
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top