Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

I ran what I needed in a 3200sqft house for 12 hours on under two gallons of gas with a pair of 2kW inverter gennys, some of time parllelled, some of the time single genny ops.
I only pull out the 7kW 240V unit to run the water heater, well pump or shop.

Standard stuff; internet, TV, DVR, a few lights, refrigerator, septic pump and occaisionally the microwave.

Don't burn gas you don't need to if you can help it.
View Quote
I agree with don't burn it if you don't need to. But, I have 14 days worth of fuel capacity without rationing. I can spread that out to 4 weeks if necessary (4weeks without power during Wilma). But, every hurricane I have been through and it's been plenty, a simple 4 hours drive away and there is ample supplies within a week.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

I don't understand the point of powering a house with anything else. It doesn't seem worth the effort to go to all that trouble when you can't run 240 volts.

I could have gotten by with a 2000 watt but I didn't want to run the gen right up to the capacity. Plus a neighbor can plug in.

I just want my food storage, TV cable modem and fans. Light I guess is nice but truth be told I don't turn on a lot of lights anyway because a headlamp is easier and I already do that.

A few cords in the house will be almost what I have now. I cook with gas, have a gas grill, plus have my camping backpacking shit.
View Quote
Being able to flick a light switch, or do anything in the house that requires electricity brings an immense amount of sanity to the entire household.  It also makes everyone feel secure. Being without normality is stressful. A hurricane and every thing that goes with it is stressful. I do everything short of a whole house generator to make life as normal as possible.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By orion251:
Just ordered one for $297.49

Pulsar

1 hour left on 15% off
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:

Code is "picksoon"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-2000-Watt-Portable-Gasoline-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-PG2000IS/262485617488?epid=24019360096&hash=item3d1d5cab50

Eta not sure of that will work for you but it works for me

Pulsar

1 hour left on 15% off
I ordered a 2nd one
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
3500watt on sale for $699 with coupon

Link here

Sale $699.99 with coupon 30728319
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]
FUCK, I missed the PICKSOON coupon
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Engineer:
For those of you that have the Quipall 2200I generators, are you noticing an oscillation/shake present that's above the normal vibration in these generators?  I'm noticing that in mine as shown in the video below. Just curious if that's normal or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Kdwt54vMU
View Quote
Might anyone have a list of generators that are compatible with the Quipall 2200I for a parallel connection?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I ordered a 2nd one
View All Quotes

Code is "picksoon"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-2000-Watt-Portable-Gasoline-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-PG2000IS/262485617488?epid=24019360096&hash=item3d1d5cab50

Eta not sure of that will work for you but it works for me

Pulsar

1 hour left on 15% off
I ordered a 2nd one
I would have picked up a second one at that price.   My Pulsar 2000 has been great, over 30 hours on it so far.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:10:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sdailey5] [#8]
So what's the verdict on the extended warranty from Harbor Freight for the Predator inverters? Do you feel it's necessary or have they been reliable enough to make it 2 years?

ETA: just picked up an HFP 3500 from local store. 2 year warranty was $140 something and the one year warranty was $87.99. I took that as a good omen and purchased the 1 year warranty. Got the generator itself for $689 with a previously posted coupon. Thanks!

Planning to get the generator broke in over the next 7-10 days, then it goes to deer camp and I expect to have about 150 hrs on it by the end of December, maybe more, so I figured that's some decent hours to determine whether on not the 1 yr vs 2 year warranty is worth it. Who knows. I'll report back and let y'all know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 3:46:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin] [#9]
Extremely irritated with my pulsar at the moment. I was admiring it in the garage when I noticed the pull string was frayed and nearly about to snap. It has 1 hour on it. If you dont pull in the perfect direction the cord runs against the guide which has a sharp edge on the inside. Not excited to tear this thing apart to replace the string
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Broken or frayed starter pull ropes are a very common complaint on Chinese gensets.

Champion even made a video about how to replace them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Extremely irritated with my pulsar at the moment. I was admiring it in the garage when I noticed the pull string was frayed and nearly about to snap. It has 1 hour on it. If you dont pull in the perfect direction the cord runs against the guide which has a sharp edge on the inside. Not excited to tear this thing apart to replace the string
View Quote
I’d be pissed too, but I would also be smoothing out that sharp edge.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Sale coming up on predator inverters at HF soon.  60 off the 2kw model.  Think it’s the weekend after next
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:11:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sdailey5:
So what's the verdict on the extended warranty from Harbor Freight for the Predator inverters? Do you feel it's necessary or have they been reliable enough to make it 2 years?

ETA: just picked up an HFP 3500 from local store. 2 year warranty was $140 something and the one year warranty was $87.99. I took that as a good omen and purchased the 1 year warranty. Got the generator itself for $689 with a previously posted coupon. Thanks!

Planning to get the generator broke in over the next 7-10 days, then it goes to deer camp and I expect to have about 150 hrs on it by the end of December, maybe more, so I figured that's some decent hours to determine whether on not the 1 yr vs 2 year warranty is worth it. Who knows. I'll report back and let y'all know how it goes.
View Quote
I got the 1 year too. So far so good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BigJayA:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigJayA:

I got the one year warranty,  mine has been solid,  almost 100 hours on it.  I'm saving to get one of the predator 2K units to keep at my moms for any issues with the power.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#15]
This may have been covered in this thread, but I can't remember now if or where.

Does anyone use semi or synthetic 10w30 in theirs, or is it best just to use regular dino oil?

My manual says 10w30, but is there any other viscocity that works?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
This may have been covered in this thread, but I can't remember now if or where.

Does anyone use semi or synthetic 10w30 in theirs, or is it best just to use regular dino oil?

View Quote
Mobil1 Full synthetic, in the weight the manual states.  One jug should last basically forever.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm breaking mine in as we speak. The display defaults back to volts, I wish it would stay where I put it.

Also cumulative hour meter does not seem to work. It stays on zero. Then if I stop it they both go to zero.

Can I fiddle with the spark plug? Is this worth the bother of taking it back? I thought about getting a backup hour meter anyway.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Never mind. I think the cumulative is in whole hours and the session is in minutes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Found a new Pulsar PG2200 on CL for $270, gonna look at it tonight and pick that up.

Hive approved?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:

View Quote
My understanding is break in with Dino oil, preferably with a magnetic dipstick and then change it out with synthetic.  The premise being that Dino oil is preferred for seating the rings. Not sure if that's accurate or not but it's how I've done it and everything seems to work out fine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:42:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amped] [#21]
Just picked up a "used" Pulsar 2000 off craigslist for $200. PO got it for camping to power his RV but it wouldn't run th AC so he was unloading it. Not a horrible deal I felt and the SOB looks almost new. Hell it even came full of gas Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm breaking mine in as we speak. The display defaults back to volts, I wish it would stay where I put it.

Also cumulative hour meter does not seem to work. It stays on zero. Then if I stop it they both go to zero.

Can I fiddle with the spark plug? Is this worth the bother of taking it back? I thought about getting a backup hour meter anyway.
View Quote
If it were me, id take it back. If for no other reason than i paid for something that is supposed to work and it doesnt.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#23]
It works. The cumulative meter seems to be in whole numbers or something. I was curious if others even looked at theirs.

I hope to have at least 20 hours or so this week, by the time I really need it I'll know all the ins and outs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 6:32:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#24]
Originally Posted By Amped:
Just picked up a "used" Pulsar 2000 off craigslist for $200. PO got it for camping to power his RV but it wouldn't run th AC so he was unloading it. Not a horrible deal I felt and the SOB looks almost new. Hell it even game full of gas https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179056/56013573713__D8FCAC18-16FF-4041-B2E3-3250E244181C-690041.JPG
View Quote
@Amped
Can you post a close up pic of the parallel kit connection points? I'm trying to figure out what generators might connect with the Quipall 2200 and I believe the Pulsar might. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#25]
It works. The cumulative meter seems to be in whole numbers or something. I was curious if others even looked at theirs.

I hope to have at least 20 hours or so this week, by the time I really need it I'll know all the ins and outs.
View Quote

If I remember correctly on my 3500, it works just as you say - whole hours on the cumulative meter and hours and minutes on the running meter.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#26]
So, I picked up my HFP 3500 on Sunday.  Unboxed it last night.  Taking it back today.

The entire front panel, including the instrument/plug panel, was loose and had shifted out of place.  Upon closer inspection, 2 of the screws on the left side of the panel were gone and I found them at the bottom of the box.  Apparently, the little ears with the threaded inserts on the inside of the housing were completely broken off.  That whole panel is out of position and really bugs me, so back it goes.  I didn't even take the tags off.

Hopefully I have better luck with #2, but I bought the last one at the store on Sunday, so I'll have to call first and see if they have a replacement before I make the drive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#27]
So, I picked up my HFP 3500 on Sunday.  Unboxed it last night.  Taking it back today.

The entire front panel, including the instrument/plug panel, was loose and had shifted out of place.  Upon closer inspection, 2 of the screws on the left side of the panel were gone and I found them at the bottom of the box.  Apparently, the little ears with the threaded inserts on the inside of the housing were completely broken off.  That whole panel is out of position and really bugs me, so back it goes.  I didn't even take the tags off.

Hopefully I have better luck with #2, but I bought the last one at the store on Sunday, so I'll have to call first and see if they have a replacement before I make the drive.
View Quote
Probably got dropped,  there is another post on here where it shows a picture of the front broken up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Well they swapped out my generator with no problem.  Got the new one home and it looks fine.  Oiled and gassed it up, put in an NGK plug right away and going through some break in time now.  It has the rattling wheel lock, which I temporarily fixed by stuffing a little cardboard in there.  I also seem to have the air starvation issue due to the oil fill door.  At idle it will stumble and sputter a little with the oil door closed.  If I take it off, it smoothes right out.  With the door on though, it seem to run smoother with a load on it.  We'll see how this all goes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:56:39 AM EDT
[#29]
old school tag
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Is there a seller online that sells parts that are known to fit the Predator 2000?

I might be picking up another one from a coworker who bought it during a power outage in the spring of 17. He ran it for about 2 days until the power came back on and it's been sitting since. He says it won't start so im thinking a carb rebuild and it should be good but my internet searches are coming up short on parts. I haven't looked at it yet but he only wants $100 so if anything I'll just keep it for spare part for mine since it's such low hours.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#31]
2nd Pulsar came in today and got the 1st one buttoned back up. Instead of regular pull cord I sprung for Cobra Cord. It's nice stuff, I'll probably pick some up for #2. Would suck to have a pull cord failure when you really need the generator. I "fixed" the sharp edges of the cord guide with a lot of JB Weld PlasticWeld. Hopefully it holds up
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By pdm:

@Amped
Can you post a close up pic of the parallel kit connection points? I'm trying to figure out what generators might connect with the Quipall 2200 and I believe the Pulsar might. Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Sent you a DM.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#33]
OST
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#34]
If you have an Aldi they have their “work zone” Attachment Attached File
generators going for $249.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#35]
If you have an Aldi they have their "work zone" https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179056/80F84EBE-9B85-4A28-B56A-66F6B508C5EE-693181.JPGgenerators going for $249.
View Quote
Looks like it is the same as the Pulsar 2000 gensets based on the video below.  I haven't finished the crazy cat lady review vid yet though.....

Aldi Workzone 2000w Portable Inverter Generator Review Unboxing Setup
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder who is making that 2k gen, that everyone else seems to be slapping on their labels
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By danpass:
I wonder who is making that 2k gen, that everyone else seems to be slapping on their labels
View Quote
Not sure but the notes to the video says it is the same as the Pulsar and the first comment says some Aldi stores are selling it for $172...  I'll be stopping by my local Aldi stores tomorrow.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Other than the expensive Honda eu7000i, are there any inverter generators that have a 240v output?  I have a private well that runs on 240.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By back40:
Other than the expensive Honda eu7000i, are there any inverter generators that have a 240v output?  I have a private well that runs on 240.
View Quote
240V inverter generators are spendy.

Get a separate cheap 240V generator for the well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Not sure but the notes to the video says it is the same as the Pulsar and the first comment says some Aldi stores are selling it for $172...  I'll be stopping by my local Aldi stores tomorrow.....
View Quote
I was just there and it was $249. $172 would make me FO on another one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#41]

I was just there and it was $249. $172 would make me FO on another one.
View Quote
Sigh. Visiting family in Northern Virginia. No go on $172,
let alone $249. Still priced at $349.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#42]
The Aldi house brand "Work Zone" generators have Pulsar's website address on them, so no doubt what they are.

They're still $349 here
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Aldi WORKZONE 2000W marked down from $349 to $329 in metro MN.

4 Sitting at the end of the west checkout, maybe more in back.

I will probably check weekly to see if it falls to the magic $249.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I went out to HF earlier in the week to see if they had re-stocked after the hurricane.  They did.

The wife and I went back on Saturday and bought one.  I'm going to leave it in the box until I need it, which might be years.

Our greatest chance of power failure come from ice storms.  We haven't had a good one in several years.

The Predator 2000 will keep us going until I can get the bigger LOUDER genny up and running.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#45]
In my opinion you should not wait until you need to use it to crack the box open. It needs broken in. It could have issues and you wouldn't be able to take it back.

And you need to have used it while your not under pressure. It's not that hard to set it up then run once every two months.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Success! Back in Ohio and found one on clearance locally. Alas it was the only one left:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I initially posted that these were going to be in an aldi ad, a while back.

I'm in florida and only 1 of the two stores near me, had ONE
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I got one of the aldi pulsar 2k gens for 195 in okc Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:47:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#49]
I panic-bought an Echo Bearcat IG2000  from a local lawn and garden place, for $900 right before Hurricane Florence. It was the only place around that had a generator. After seeing some of the deals in this thread I am pretty upset with the price I paid, especially considering that this place does not take returns.

I have not turned on yet. Maybe I can sell it to someone on craigslist and recoup some of the wasted money.

Seriously, $170 – $250 for a 2000W inverter generator? That's a damn steal if they work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Always check Arfcom.   And waiting to unbox the genset till you need it is a crapshoot.
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top