BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 2:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So China bad unless it's convenient or saves a couple bucks...

I think if people were more honest about their positions they'd be happier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blame the federal government.

They are the ones who make minimum wages, cost of living, taxes, cost of production, and EPA.  Its all way way way too high.

I'm not spending 4x more for made in america.  That's just stupid.

So China bad unless it's convenient or saves a couple bucks...

I think if people were more honest about their positions they'd be happier.

From a toolbox standpoint, I don't think many people can justify US made prices when compared to the HF options.

I like their toolboxes, some automotive tools, zip ties, gloves, etc. I find myself buying less and less nowadays from them. I outfitted myself with electrician's tools for a project. Only bought Knipex or Klein for my tools. I initially bought a Pittsburgh brand cable cutter but them bought the Knipex version and kept the Pittsburgh just in case I couldn't get enough leverage for cutting size 2 cable. I figure if I dull them out on one project, no biggie.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
After harbor freight had their disastrous Jack stand debacle they recalled all of them and designed new ones. I picked up a couple for the project car. Wow, they are nice.

Nice welds. Like really nice welds.

Nice design. They’re very well supported.

Safe.

Good engagement between the pawl and locking mechanism.

The design of the safety bar is also excellent.

I got 2 sets. They work well. I wanted 12 ton capacity stands but they didn’t have those in yet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:17:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
…near me . What should I avoid at all cost ? Are their tool boxes any good ? Any good or bad experiences appreciated . Thanks in advance
View Quote

Op you happen to be talking about the one in burleson, Texas?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All gone.

In fact in my knife thread we shun BM.

A member of the thread literally put his knife into a belt grinder and turned it to dust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you a Benchmade fanboi?

All gone.

In fact in my knife thread we shun BM.

A member of the thread literally put his knife into a belt grinder and turned it to dust.

That was stupid.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

All of Milwaukee, arfcom's favorite cordless brand, is made in China by a Chinese owned company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.  A lot of Dewalt is made in China ironically.
So is Bosch.

All of Milwaukee, arfcom's favorite cordless brand, is made in China by a Chinese owned company.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What died on it? The angle gearbox, power cord, switch, or brushes?

Oftentimes, the brushes just wear down and stop making contact. New brushes - GTG.

IMHO YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in mourning today. One of my $10 HF angle grinders died this morning. It had a life of HARD use though. The other had another 45 minute continuous session with a wire brush on it for a second day in a row. This one has had many hours cleaning rusty metal. It has been tortured many times and is still going.

What died on it? The angle gearbox, power cord, switch, or brushes?

Oftentimes, the brushes just wear down and stop making contact. New brushes - GTG.

IMHO YMMV

Probably the brushes, it slowed down then stopped. I probably have some brushes somewhere but it had a hard life, I'm not sure it's worth screwing with.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After harbor freight had their disastrous Jack stand debacle they recalled all of them and designed new ones. I picked up a couple for the project car. Wow, they are nice.

Nice welds. Like really nice welds.

Nice design. They’re very well supported.

Safe.

Good engagement between the pawl and locking mechanism.

The design of the safety bar is also excellent.

https://i.postimg.cc/4d2g8LYs/12-C3051-D-5-E6-F-41-DE-92-BF-DCF40-C9-D1-F18.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/26SY7R80/5-EF1-BB52-A762-4-F52-8-C0-A-4-C6309-D407-D2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/y807Vyby/027-AF5-D2-7-AE5-4-F5-F-B8-C2-D70-D58-EEB36-A.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/nrLLr9Dc/57-EAA4-C3-F4-C8-4973-95-F6-26-A6-A1-C75908.jpg

I got 2 sets. They work well. I wanted 12 ton capacity stands but they didn’t have those in yet.
View Quote

It's your funeral!  

We got a member here who thinks that if you make a batch of defective jack stands, that all jack stands for eternity are bad.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything from HF is good for a year or two.  If you want a tool/tool box/etc to last for 10 years look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anything from HF is good for a year or two.  If you want a tool/tool box/etc to last for 10 years look elsewhere.
View Quote

Did you take pics of your US General tool box that wore out after 10 years?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard good things about their US General toolboxes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Honestly a lot of their hand tools are as good as name brand. I bought a pair of 9” linesman pliers on sale for like $12. They look identical to my cousins (electrician) Kleins and lifetime warranty. I’m not a tradesman. I personally don’t give a shit about country of origin at this point because it’s unavoidable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
All my firearms have Apache cases as homes.
They are a pretty good value.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Everything in harbor freight can be ok if you consider what you are buying. Think of everything in there being disposable. If it works more than one time, then you got your moneys worth. But also dont be upset when it doesnt work that one time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
HF is great for specialty tools you will only need once or occasionally and consumables such as nitrile gloves and grinding discs. My favorite is the Earthquake 20v 1/2" drive impact wrench. I've beat the shit out of it for several years and it is still going strong. My neighbor probably gives the Snap-On guy half his paycheck each week, but sometimes borrows it when his impact won't break something loose, LOL.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We might be neighbors, one just opened in town around here in a used to be grocery store.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Op you happen to be talking about the one in burleson, Texas?
View Quote

No sir I’m south of houston
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
…near me . What should I avoid at all cost ? Are their tool boxes any good ? Any good or bad experiences appreciated . Thanks in advance
View Quote

Rolling tool boxes are good for the price, torque wrenches punch above their weight class.  Their "super duty" floor jacks are also quite good for the price.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought one of these lights at HF.  I like that it's rechargeable so I don't have to keep a stock of batteries on hand, and the magnetic base doesn't let go just by looking at it.  I use it under the hood of my vehicles and the swivel head allows me to aim it where I need it.  Alot better than many other POS lights I've used in the past.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Other stuff?  Meh.   They're probably ok for consumables like sandpaper and nitrile gloves.  
View Quote

I specifically going to say do not waste your money on their sandpaper.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other stuff?  Meh.   They're probably ok for consumables like sandpaper and nitrile gloves.  

Yup. Cheap abrasives are a false economy. Never buy cheap abrasives.

Their nitrile gloves are just decent. For $7 a box on sale they're a good value, but not for the normal $10. This is the 5mil glove. Their work gloves are great, I wear out a couple pair a year working around my house. Great to buy with the 30% off 5 items under $10 coupon.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Forgot to say, the trailer hitch I bought at HF has never failed, despite punishing use towing our travel trailer through the Rockies many times.

Yeah their moving blankets are crap. Along with a lot of other stuff, like the diamond coated bits I bought for my Dremel tool that shed all the diamond dust on the first spin. But there is solid stuff too, at good prices. Also bought a tumbler unit for cleaning fired brass that never failed. Forgot about that too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yup. Cheap abrasives are a false economy. Never buy cheap abrasives.

Their nitrile gloves are just decent. For $7 a box on sale they're a good value, but not for the normal $10. This is the 5mil glove. Their work gloves are great, I wear out a couple pair a year working around my house. Great to buy with the 30% off 5 items under $10 coupon.
View Quote

Just by trial and error, ive used HF abrasives, and I've used more name brand abrasives.  I think personally its a wash.  Name brand stuff lasts longer and performs better.  I'm not sure HF at half the cost is a bargain.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had good experiences with their tire changers, especially for J Deere gators and golf carts.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Buy a knock off pliers wrench and still pay $40 for pliers, lol.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've heard good things about their US General toolboxes.
View Quote

Must be named after General Milley, another Chinese sellout.

They are pretty nice though

I was there today and bought some alligator clips, a 3 dollar electric fly swatter/zapper, and a 6 volt circuit tester light thingy.  For my made in Japan 1981 Honda c70.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Must be named after General Milley, another Chinese sellout.

They are pretty nice though

I was there today and bought some alligator clips, a 3 dollar electric fly swatter/zapper, and a 6 volt circuit tester light thingy.  For my made in Japan 1981 Honda c70.
View Quote

Chicom parts for a jap bike?

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I just bought the Bauer portable bandsaw for $89 with a coupon. My first weekend using it was great. I cut up a bunch of old rusted steel pipe and tubing and it never skipped a beat. I suppose I could have bought the $320 Dewalt from Lowes or the $349 Milwaukee from Home Depot, but they're both made in China too so why pay over triple?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Their sawzall is worth the $25 or whatever they charge now. Mine is 10 years old now. I have their sockets at home and the work well. I still have not broken one. I've broken every other brand. Snap On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell and Craftsman. Their impact sockets are way better than Cornwell. I've broken 3 of theirs already.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#31]
The Daytona jack is incredible. We have one at work. I will buy one for home when my Craftsman one dies.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nothing like the pungent smell of Chinese rubber products wafting across the land  when they have a parking lot sale.
View Quote

30 years ago I bought multiple 20 packs of rubber bungees on an Inside Track sale.
Yep, they stunk, literally and figuratively.
Tarped an old appliance on the porch for a couple weeks, and the bungees started cracking.
Couple years later, the box of bungees in a cool dark basement were to the point that they'd break while trying to hook them up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

POLAND!  Who has anything made in Poland?
View Quote

https://www.insidehook.com/article/vehicles/bare-metal-kirkham-shelby-cobras-sale
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I would love to buy the 18V cordless hammer, just for the lols.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I can’t imagine muddling through life with this much static in my head, somehow tying every move I make to the gun control boogeyman. Unreal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do more research, Walmart as a company gives money to Dems and Michael Bloomberg/ Everytown. Why do you like gun control so much?

I can’t imagine muddling through life with this much static in my head, somehow tying every move I make to the gun control boogeyman. Unreal.

Attachment Attached File

Not to say I don't minimize contributing where I can but it's not make or break for me. It's just not efficient for my life.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Bought a few 3/8 and 1/2 socket sets there and they have held up for what I need.  My father used to work on a lot of stuff when he was younger.  He had some Snap on ratchets and sockets everything else was different.  Thorsen, Proto, Craftsman, Blackhawk,  Bluepoint, Crescent, Chicago Tool.  He used it all and still has everything that didn’t  break, which is probably over 95% of it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I have their standing tool box. It was cheap as shit but it holds my tools fine. Sockets, hex keys, hand tools, hell even their grinders and shit have all been fine. And cheap as fuck.

Avoid their C Pillar bearing removal tool. Thing will bend looking at it. Went through 3 returns before I got one to push out a bearing in a JK that was torched hot to aid in removal. Piece. Of. Fucking. Shit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:46:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Got their cheapest handheld power wood planer today..the Drillmaster planer for $44. Used it this afternoon to take the warp out of some fencing slats. Worked fine.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top