BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Another good suggestion although not that many animals to see unless the manatees are around. We didn’t see a one.
View Quote

@sebastion inlet

there is a tide pond in the park

But osprey is right,  it could be blowing balls,  and water temp is prolly 65
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the suggestions. we are going next month, and its kind of a power trip, just flying down thursday, and back sunday so we only need to take one day off and its before spring break when prices for flights nearly tripled.

we do the zoo and aquarium thing too, we took him to the shedd right before covid crap began, but he seems to have more excitement just flipping over logs in the woods looking for snakes and salamanders, so seeing any ocean life will be fun. watching him discover something is what i get the most enjoyment out of and i just want to reinforce his current interests. so gatorland is taking care of the zoo type thing, and we like the airboats on the way to cape canaveral area for "exploring".
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was in Crystal River a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Its usually a very busy time of year because it is manatee season, but covid has resulted in many fewer visitors. I'm not sure when the season ends, but the inside is 72 degrees, year round and the manatees come in in mass.

I think your little buddy would get a kick out that.

https://www.kingsbaylodge.com/images/manatees/Kayak-With-Manatees-Crystal-River.jpg
https://www.floridasmart.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/manatee-crystalriver-ig-jborum321.jpg
View Quote

thanks, that does look cool
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Lucky for you that you are escaping MI snow and not TX snow or you would be getting hammered.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in Crystal River a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Its usually a very busy time of year because it is manatee season, but covid has resulted in many fewer visitors. I'm not sure when the season ends, but the inside is 72 degrees, year round and the manatees come in in mass.

I think your little buddy would get a kick out that.

https://www.kingsbaylodge.com/images/manatees/Kayak-With-Manatees-Crystal-River.jpg
https://www.floridasmart.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/manatee-crystalriver-ig-jborum321.jpg

https://www.gomanateefest.com/ Crystal River Manatee Festival March 27 and 28 if your dates work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Playa Linda beach at the national seashore in Titusville. Lots of nature stuff there. Can see manatees and dolphins at the inlet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't send people to my fishing spot
View Quote

Or swipe the GPS off your boat.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/shells_jpg-1830732.JPG

Another vote for Sanibel Island - Lighthouse Beach. The beach is made out of seashells. I was down there last month and found the above. Also found a couple of conchs in the water that still had crabs in them. Turned those loose.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Sanibel_Lighthouse_Beach_JPG-1830707.JPG

View Quote

I read that Sanibel was also ranked in top 10 sunsets fir Florida
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Playa Linda beach at the national seashore in Titusville. Lots of nature stuff there. Can see manatees and dolphins at the inlet.
View Quote

Just stay away from the nude beach , it's freaking nasty !
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a sales pitch Sunsets can be good as long as you can see it. This is from our hotel on Lido Beach. The clouds can make or break a sunset. They were pretty close to perfect this evening.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds like a sales pitch Sunsets can be good as long as you can see it. This is from our hotel on Lido Beach. The clouds can make or break a sunset. They were pretty close to perfect this evening.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126641/20201019_185645_jpg-1830779.JPG
View Quote

Just looked up Lido beach nearest big town is Saint Petersburg. From my tourist reading all top 10 Subsets were gulf side or Key West. Destin, Clearwater, another island I forgot the name of but none for the Atlantic side
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe not exactly what you were asking for but Tampa has an excellent, albeit expensive Aquarium downtown. Also there's  a gigantic dinosaur park in Plant City. We took our little boy there around Christmas time and he loved it. It was literally like going back in time to the dinosaur age. The habitat there is perfectly fitting for how you would imagine dinosaurs would have lived and the dinosaurs are very well done and realistic. Like a zoo for dinosaurs. Really cool honestly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take a day and drive down and spend a night in or around Siesta Key.

https://www.evergladesoutpost.org/
View Quote

Never been to Siesta Key but have heard great things about it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#14]
The breakwater and beach at Ponce Inlet can be interesting. There is a wildlife center there that is kid friendly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take a day and drive down and spend a night in or around Siesta Key.

https://www.evergladesoutpost.org/

I like Lido far better than Siesta. St Armando is right there. Easy walk from the Holliday in. The other hotel have shuttle vans. There are some great restaurants there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
This place is closed right now, and I wouldn't drive to Tampa Bay just to visit this site, but the Manatee Viewing Area in Apollo Beach is great for kids.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sea World Discovery Cove is the answer.
View Quote
Definitely. He can snorkel with all sorts of salt water fish, rays, sharks, etc. I don't know anywhere else you could be guaranteed of having that experience in Florida.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Definitely. He can snorkel with all sorts of salt water fish, rays, sharks, etc. I don't know anywhere else you could be guaranteed of having that experience in Florida.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sea World Discovery Cove is the answer.

looks like you are supposed to be 6 to feed rays, swim with dolphins etc. he's 4, so he hasnt snorkled either, he will jump in where he cant touch though with his swim wing things
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
If you go anywhere near Daytona march 5-14, it is bike week, just a warning.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/shells_jpg-1830732.JPG

Another vote for Sanibel Island - Lighthouse Beach. The beach is made out of seashells. I was down there last month and found the above. Also found a couple of conchs in the water that still had crabs in them. Turned those loose.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Sanibel_Lighthouse_Beach_JPG-1830707.JPG

View Quote

Be aware that sand dollars are protected in FL. I've never seen anyone arrested but I have seen some serious ass chewing on the beach where I live when tourists swim out to the sand bar and bring back some live ones.  The same for the little conchs. Whe they breed there's thousands of them close to shore and you can get fined for messing with them as well.

OP, if you make over to Tampa area I'd highly recommend canoeing the Hillsborough river. it's an unmolested streach of old FL river that is crstal clear and full of gators, birds, turtles, etc...I've done it maybe a dozen times with firends and family when they visit and I never get tired of it. Really something to see.

As mentioned any of the springs are nice to visit as well as rainbow river to swim with the Manatees. The Manatee viewing center in Apollo beach is also a nice stop especially this time of year.

It's been chilly here, in the 60's and 70's, so you may also want to take a drive down south through Alligator alley and visit the Seminole reservatio tourist stuff or even the keys. No nee to go to key west. Big pine, islamorado, etc...are nice.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Marineland in Flagler.
https://marineland.net/

Ormond is a nice beach, not too crowded.  Some shells to pick up.
View Quote

that is a neat place - I took my mom to see the Dolphins when she came to visit from Germany
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Rock springs run is a spring fed river close to Orlando. At kings landing they rent canoes and kayaks.
It is about a 2 hour or so paddle. The water moves good so it is little work. Lots of wildlife to see there.
You pull out at Wekiva Island, they have a bar and food truck there (but I have not been in while and not
sure if covid changed it). Kings landing will pick you up there and bring you to your vehicle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Be aware that sand dollars are protected in FL. I've never seen anyone arrested but I have seen some serious ass chewing on the beach where I live when tourists swim out to the sand bar and bring back some live ones.  The same for the little conchs. Whe they breed there's thousands of them close to shore and you can get fined for messing with them as well.

OP, if you make over to Tampa area I'd highly recommend canoeing the Hillsborough river. it's an unmolested streach of old FL river that is crstal clear and full of gators, birds, turtles, etc...I've done it maybe a dozen times with firends and family when they visit and I never get tired of it. Really something to see.

As mentioned any of the springs are nice to visit as well as rainbow river to swim with the Manatees. The Manatee viewing center in Apollo beach is also a nice stop especially this time of year.

It's been chilly here, in the 60's and 70's, so you may also want to take a drive down south through Alligator alley and visit the Seminole reservatio tourist stuff or even the keys. No nee to go to key west. Big pine, islamorado, etc...are nice.
View Quote

Doesn't surprise me. Guess I shouldn't mention that starfish I found...
Didn't keep it as it was still moving around.

We also drove down to Key West passing through what I think was Alligator Alley.

Took the Loop Road Cypress National Preserve off of 90 and saw Alligators right off the dirt road in almost every pool near a culvert. Pretty cool that you can get that close to them (for free).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sanibel/Siesta Have the cleanest, white sand beaches in the world.

I have family with a 2nd home on Siesta Key that I go down there a few times a year.

Siesta Beach is worth a trip to Florida just for the beach.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sanibel/Siesta Have the cleanest, white sand beaches in the world.

I have family with a 2nd home on Siesta Key that I go down there a few times a year.

Siesta Beach is worth a trip to Florida just for the beach.
View Quote

Respectfully Sanibel is not close to Siesta. Sanibel sand is not that great. Lido and Siesta have
great sand.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Respectfully Sanibel is not close to Siesta. Sanibel sand is not that great. Lido and Siesta have
great sand.
View Quote

Been awhile since I have made the drive between the two. I don't remember it being almost a 2 hour drive.

When I go down to Siesta I usually stick close to the area or out on the water in a boat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#27]
@apierce918
I don't know, but he is one cute kid. He could be on commercials!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@apierce918
I don't know, but he is one cute kid. He could be on commercials!
View Quote

Thanks, he’s a ton of fun
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

great sand.
View Quote

I'd have to agree. My understanding is that Siesta's sand is a result of erosion quartz in the Rockies that drains down the Mississippi and is deposited on that beach by the currents in the Gulf. It is spectacular.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#30]
In the 90s when I would go visit Sanibel you could hear the cigarette boats at night full throttle trying to out run whoever... Cant see shit looking out over the water, just the engines roaring...
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Been awhile since I have made the drive between the two. I don't remember it being almost a 2 hour drive.

When I go down to Siesta I usually stick close to the area or out on the water in a boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

great sand.

Sanibel's pluses are you are able to walk miles on the beach and much less crowding. There is great shelling
there as well. Nice restaurants too but they are spread out quite a bit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#32]
What part of Orlando are you staying in OP ?

If you are time compressed you may want to factor how long it's going to take to get out of town.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What part of Orlando are you staying in OP ?

If you are time compressed you may want to factor how long it's going to take to get out of town.
View Quote

Near Lake Buena Vista
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#34]
You tourists should feel safe in Florida because the tourist lobby pays our elected assholes (of both parties) to prevent Florida from being an open carry state.   They don't want a tourist to be scared of being shot when they come to Florida.  They may not get enough money if the tourists are scared.

Your tourist money working hard keeping Florida safe.

Have fun in that Orlando shithole.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You tourists should feel safe in Florida because the tourist lobby pays our elected assholes (of both parties) to prevent Florida from being an open carry state.   They don't want a tourist to be scared of being shot when they come to Florida.  They may not get enough money if the tourists are scared.

Your tourist money working hard keeping Florida safe.

Have fun in that Orlando shithole.
View Quote

We voted those assholes into office in your state too
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Near Lake Buena Vista
View Quote

Fairly easy access to both coasts but beware that Tampa is easily 10 times busier than anything due East of Wally World.
You could be having lunch at Port Canaveral inside an hour of where you will be staying.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I haven't been here, but have heard good things about this place. It is not too far from Orlando.

https://wildfloridairboats.com/?utm_source=redirects&utm_medium=wildfl.com&utm_campaign=301_Redirects
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top