Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IMO this will be a iconic vehicle of the time period. Kinda like how Boomers kids hear about what their old man drove around when he was young and dumb and they go "woooooah cool!"
View Quote

Exactly.  I'm middle aged and remember all the awesome hotrods that I was too young to buy before they got ridiculously expensive.  Late 60s to early 70s Broncos and Blazers have always talked to me in a way that I can't describe.  So did the Plymouth Superbird but that ain't gonna happen in my life so when I saw Ford was bringing these back and I could reasonably afford a base model with a couple of options I FO'd. Hard.  The wife now wants me to reserve one for her.  No shit, she said "get both".  Not sure I want to do that but at least I got prior permission

More like what I am going to order...

page 2 pwn'd!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok. After checking out the specs. I put a deposit down for a Black Diamond.

4 door.
Iconic silver
2.7 EB
Sasquatch.

My uncle is a Ford engineer he will hook me up with the A plan.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok. After checking out the specs. I put a deposit down for a Black Diamond.

4 door.
Iconic silver
2.7 EB
Sasquatch.

My uncle is a Ford engineer he will hook me up with the A plan.
View Quote

Don't let your wife drive it
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't imagine preordering a car.  If people are doing it, I think Ford has a good start.  I'd buy one if I could afford it.  Maybe I'll get a promotion and a pay raise by the time they hit the market
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I've come to the realization that I need one of these.  I've never been this infatuated with a new vehicle launch.  Ever.  I just REALLY wish I could get the 2.7 with the 7 speed.  I probably would have pre-ordered one otherwise, but I can't decide between the 2.7 or 7 speed.  I really want both.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've come to the realization that I need one of these.  I've never been this infatuated with a new vehicle launch.  Ever.  I just REALLY wish I could get the 2.7 with the 7 speed.  I probably would have pre-ordered one otherwise, but I can't decide between the 2.7 or 7 speed.  I really want both.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Exactly.  I'm middle aged and remember all the awesome hotrods that I was too young to buy before they got ridiculously expensive.  Late 60s to early 70s Broncos and Blazers have always talked to me in a way that I can't describe.  So did the Plymouth Superbird but that ain't gonna happen in my life so when I saw Ford was bringing these back and I could reasonably afford a base model with a couple of options I FO'd. Hard.  The wife now wants me to reserve one for her.  No shit, she said "get both".  Not sure I want to do that but at least I got prior permission

page 2 pwn'd!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/454103/Silkys_Bronco_jpg-1504333.JPG
View Quote

Man, that's nice.

My dad had a Bronco II back in the late 80s, he took it to Tunisia and ruled the roads.

I have no idea why I like this thing, but I do. Nostalgia, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 10spd auto is a great trans, I wouldn't have any hesitations about it. Do you just want to row gears for shits and giggles or is the crawl ratio that has you hung up on the manual? Those are the only two reasons I see for getting the manual. And just my personal opinion here, but the way I would use a Bronco doesn't really match up with what makes a manual trans fun to me.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get the 7-spd.  Not many manuals left to choose from these days.  Order one and show Ford that there is demand for them.

I should have bought that 2010 F350 V10 with the ZF6 I had my eye on many years ago. Last year for a manual in a Ford truck...
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Get the 7-spd.  Not many manuals left to choose from these days.  Order one and show Ford that there is demand for them.

I should have bought that 2010 F350 V10 with the ZF6 I had my eye on many years ago. Last year for a manual in a Ford truck...
View Quote

Truth. I would LOVE a 2.7 or larger engine with the 7sp but I will sacrifice displacement for a manual. My last manual was a 2001 4Runner Sport and I regret to this day ever getting rid of it. I'm just stoked to be getting one so will worry about cognitive dissonance later
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Thats a nice lookin blue!

Wonder what lift kits will be available. So much easier to lift solid axles. IFS is doable but I had a shop do my chevy.

Also wonder if bronco will be as prone to rust as jeep is. Ive seen so many jeep rust buckets..... but then again these are the same people that dont spray down their uncarriage after the beach, mud or winter road salt.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

I won't be replacing my 2019 4Runner but a 2 door Sasquatch 7 speed manual might be replacing our 2020 Rav4.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#13]
It's cool how you can order Sasquatch pkg with any trim level, even Base model.

What a great option,, that would be like Jeep offering Rubicon pkg with a Base jeep
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

why the black diamond?  I was looking at the badlands.  They seem pretty close.
View Quote

With the Badlands package, you pick up a nicer transfer case,( Auto 4x4 ) and a Standard 7 speed manual with crawler gear. Also you pickup 2 more GOAT modes Baja and RockCrawl with Badlands.
From what I read Badlands is the off road model and its standard with 33's
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I really like what I see. But I’m a big guy. One of the best things about trading a Taco in for a Tundra was the comfort and room of the Tundra. The hip and shoulder space of the Bronco might feel a little tight. I’ll have to sit in one before I decide.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

With the Badlands package, you pick up a nicer transfer case,( Auto 4x4 ) and a Standard 7 speed manual with crawler gear. Also you pickup 2 more GOAT modes Baja and RockCrawl with Badlands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

why the black diamond?  I was looking at the badlands.  They seem pretty close.

Just FYI - if you're going to get the Sasquatch package, most of the advantage the Badlands has over the Black Diamond disappears. From what I can see, the only real difference between the two is the electronic disconnect sway bar that the Black Diamond can't get.

Even the On-Demand 4x4 transfer case is available in the Black Diamond. It's optional in the Black Diamond versus standard in the Badlands, but I'm sure that upcharge is much less than the $6k difference in base prices between those 2 models.

Assuming the towing numbers come up to 5,000# (standard or with available options), I'd probably go with a Black Diamond, 2.7L + 10-speed, possibly with the On-Demand 4x4. If I get to be permanent work-from-home, I'd opt for the Sasquatch package, but if I'm commuting into the office, I will not want to ride on 35" mud tires, so I'd opt out of Sasquatch.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Agree,, personally I'll order the BlackDiamond
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Black Diamond is the only way to get vinyl/rubber interior correct?

I'd rather buy a Base w/Sasquatch and 2.7/10 but not if it means cloth seats.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know the first edition color options yet?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hope that slate blue grey they're teasing is a real option, that's sharp.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Black Diamond is the only way to get vinyl/rubber interior correct?

I'd rather buy a Base w/Sasquatch and 2.7/10 but not if it means cloth seats.
View Quote

Correct, at least how they have it listed, Black Diamond is lowest package with the hose out interior, base is carpet floors and cloth seats.

No idea if they'll allow special ordering of options outside packages once initial demand settles down.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

According to this link:

Ford Media

• Rapid Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
• Area 51
• Cactus Gray
• Cyber Orange Metallic Tri-Coat
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

According to this link:

Ford Media

• Area 51
• Cactus Gray
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to this link:

Ford Media

• Area 51
• Cactus Gray

Between Area 51 and Cactus Gray.

Leaning towards Area 51
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Leaning towards Area 51
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to this link:

Ford Media

• Area 51
• Cactus Gray

Leaning towards Area 51

Area 51 is a great color.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to this link:

Ford Media

• Area 51
• Cactus Gray

Leaning towards Area 51

x2

Cactus Gray looks awesome from some angles, but way too light from others. If I get one - I'll opt for Area 51.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Goddam it.

10 speed is a requirement with the sasquatch package as well.  The package can't be paired with the manual.

I want a 4 door, 2.7, manual trans sasquatch, but you can't get either the 2.7 or the sasquatch package with the manual trans.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

x2

Cactus Gray looks awesome from some angles, but way too light from others. If I get one - I'll opt for Area 51.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to this link:

Ford Media

• Area 51
• Cactus Gray

Leaning towards Area 51

x2

I would have to see Cactus Grey IRL before I would choose it. It looks like a pretty good mixture of grey and Land Rover's old pastel green.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#28]
If this thread is any indication, they're going to sell a shitload of these things.

Can't remember the last thread I saw of a new vehicle with people posting their reservations.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Goddam it.

10 speed is a requirement with the sasquatch package as well.  The package can't be paired with the manual.

I want a 4 door, 2.7, manual trans sasquatch, but you can't get either the 2.7 or the sasquatch package with the manual trans.
View Quote

I’m guessing the 4.70s are too low for highway speeds with the 6 speed manual vs the 10 speed auto.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

x2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to this link:

Ford Media

• Area 51
• Cactus Gray

Leaning towards Area 51

x2

If I get a first edition as ordered, Area 51.

If I get a Wildtrak or bad lands - Anti matter blue, probably. Or area 51.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I’m guessing the 4.70s are too low for highway speeds with the 6 speed manual vs the 10 speed auto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Goddam it.

I think that's a good assumption.

Ford doesn't exactly have a reputation for sourcing the best manual transmissions, so this could be a blessing in disguise.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Goddam it.

View Quote

If that's true then you can't get the manual transmission with 35" tires, those tires only come on Sasquatch.

So for me the Badlands is the best I can see, but I still want the 4.7 gears, 35" tires and the suspension tweaks with a manual.  Looks like I'm out, at least until 2022.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Any guesses on what Sasquatch package may cost?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Reserved one. Dealership seems to think these will get here alot faster than most people think. Well see.
View Quote

Maybe they are like my dealer and keep sending me shit about the sport.  Emailed me a dealer guide for the sport yesterday.  I replied that I reserved the black diamond.  OK, I'll update it he says.  Same guy calls me this morning to tell me I could start my order for the sport.

No.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

35" tires
Front locker
Specialty shocks
Advanced transfer case w/ selectable on-demand auto 4hi
Fender flares

I'm gonna guess $5-6k
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anyone know what the "position sensitive" shocks are? Is that the Bilstein zone control? The performance of those compared to aftermarket stuff, and wheel options, could make a big difference in whether someone chooses to squatch or not to squatch.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

The wildtrack is what, $8k more than the badlands? About the only real difference seems to be that the badlands has the sway bar disconnect, while the wildtrack has the Sasquatch package as standard.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what the "position sensitive" shocks are? Is that the Bilstein zone control? The performance of those compared to aftermarket stuff, and wheel options, could make a big difference in whether someone chooses to squatch or not to squatch.
View Quote

The Fox shocks I know that have that, are kind of smart shocks.

Smoother surfaces, they become softer and smoother riding.

As terrain gets more aggressive and they flex more, they get stiffer, so they don’t bottom out as hard and such.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Goddam it.

The 10 speed and the manual have nearly identical ratios in top gear (see Ford link below). It actually looks like the problem is in the lower gears, the 10 speed has a much taller 1st and 2nd gear.

The problem might be getting the big 35's moving with the manual and the 4 cylinder at lower speeds.

Ford Specs Link

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Why so many gears on the manual?  Even my 80hp Samurai gets by with 4.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The 10 speed and the manual have nearly identical ratios in top gear (see Ford link below). It actually looks like the problem is in the lower gears, the 10 speed has a much taller 1st and 2nd gear.

The problem might be getting the big 35's moving with the manual and the 4 cylinder at lower speeds.

Ford Specs Link

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333913/Annotation_2020-07-15_134143_png-1505078.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Goddam it.

Ford Specs Link

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333913/Annotation_2020-07-15_134143_png-1505078.JPG

Good points. My other guess is that they’re afraid the crawl gear with 4.70s and 35s are going to break axles, especially with the extra hundred lb/ft of torque from the 2.7. Better to limit it to only the 2.3 and 33” and under tire size/diff gearing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Leaning towards Area 51
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to this link:

Ford Media

• Area 51
• Cactus Gray

Leaning towards Area 51

Same here reserved a Black Diamond 4Runner owner
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I finally realized what the Bronco Sport styling reminded me of...

Just with a more LR-ish front fascia.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's essentially a 6 speed with a super low "C" crawling gear.  The "C" gear is outside of the normal shift pattern and would not be used in daily driving.  6 gears are pretty standard for manual transmissions now, if you can find one.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I finally realized what the Bronco Sport styling reminded me of...

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2020/07/2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-exterior-4.jpg

https://www.cstatic-images.com/car-pictures/xl/cab80fos332a0101.png

Just with a more LR-ish front fascia.
View Quote

How dare you
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How dare you
View Quote

lol Hey, it doesn't look bad. The Taurus X does though.

If I was never going to touch anything but pavement and a graded gravel road I think the Bronco Sport would be a great option. Stylish, some neat features baked in, etc. Seems like a better looking and more thought out version of my wife's old gen 1 Escape. And yes I'm aware it's built on the Escape chassis. Which is good, because I didn't like the direction they went with the Escape styling.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This thing will likely want to be able to go 80 mph without doing 6000 rpm....
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah I think I'd be pretty happy with the 2 dr base sasquatch and 2.7L. I don't need all the gizmos and fancy radio options. Just give me the lockers, big tires, and suspension toys.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

page 2 pwn'd!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/454103/Silkys_Bronco_jpg-1504333.JPG
View Quote

Where did you find that pic and what package is that?

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Wildtrak reserved!
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top