BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Usually years, lawyers cost money. IF they decide to sue then you would need a lawyer asap. A lot of times the judgment is less then what the collector would have gotten if they would have played ball with the OP.
View Quote

Good deal. The more time, the better.

Again I appreciate you hanging out in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Juan Valdez pays nothing for the same.  Probably got a free cell phone too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The price you're quoting is likely for the drug alone. That doesn't count the labor costs, overhead and other supplies. The debt collection likely bought that debt for pennies on the dollar and the longer it goes they will likely be willing to accept less. Why not offer to settle for $10,000? Did you not qualify for Medicaid since you didn't have health insurance?

View Quote

I faxed them over an offer of $15,000 to settle the debt back in November. They just acknowledged that fax a week ago when they reached out to me to discuss a settlement.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Collection agency can do that?  OP didn't do business with them
View Quote
I didn't do business with the student loan lender whom I now owe money.  I did business with the original lender and then they sold my debt to a new lender.  That doesn't mean I suddenly don't owe the money I borrowed or the terms don't apply.

I am not comparing my student loans to OP's hospital bill in terms of right and wrong, I am saying selling debt to a new entity is very much a thing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]
See if your current insurance can help you negotiate the usual rates for the services you received.  This is a closely guarded secret of the hospital and it is difficult to negotiate with the hospital as an individual.  They are too powerful and they know it.

I was recently hospitalized for one night.  The bill was $54K.  That is the hospital’s dream payment and it rarely materializes.  My health share plan knows the going-rates and cut them a check for $14K.  They snatched it up and my bill was adjusted to $0.

Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good evening all. One of my first threads after discovering the GD section, if not THE first thread I made in here, was a thread discussing how I got treated for rabies and was hit with an astronomical bill by the hospital. Since that was around September of last year I will just cliff note what transpired, and where things are at now.

-September or so of 2022 I am bit by dog.
-Unware of status of dog or owner
-For my well being I elect to get rabies vaccines
-Only place I am aware of who administers rabies treatment is hosptail
-Go to ER day after bite occurred
-I did not have health insurance
-Doctor administers rabies immunoglobulin around bite area
-Nurse administers rabies shot and tetanus shot
-Process takes about 45 minutes (Wait in ER room was probably 3 hours)
-Over course of next few weeks I am given 3 additional shots by nurses via outpatient center in different part of hospital (takes about 20 minutes per visit)
-Month or so after all of this, bill arives in the amount of 1000 and some change, they reduce it to 900 and change since I paid in full via credit card
-Several months later out of the blue I am floored when a second bill arrives, totaling $34,000
- I immediately contact billing department, talk to employee, they tell me all they can do is offer me monthly payments of $1200 per month
-I ask about settling for a lump sum, she gives me fax number, I fax over an offer
-Hospital never replies regarding offer
-I contact billing department, ask them for itemized bill, and later ask them to audit bills to confirm amounts
-I inform billing department that average cost for this treatment is $3000-$7000 , why TF are they charging me so much
-Second bill eventually arrives, for additional $10,000
-Billing department says bill is correct, "thats how much they charge."
-I file complaint with Illinois Surgeon General Office
-I create thread in GD asking for help
-Overwhelming number of members here advise not paying them a cent, they cannot collect on anything, I am being ripped off, etc.
-3 months go by and I hear nothing from hospital , or Surgeon General Office
-Get random email from woman at hospital stating she wanted to discuss settling my accounts last week (3/23)
-I call and talk to her, they would accept $25,0000 to settle my $43,000 in debt
-I explain to lady average cost for this treatment is $3000-$7000, and ill " think about it."
-Today (3/21/2023) I receive a random unmarked letter, inside is a letter from a debt collection agency, claiming my balance is $49,000 , but I owe them $34,000

So that is where I am currently at. It is my understanding, based on the good people of this forum, as well as a friend, that they cannot do anything to steal my money or take the house I am a co-signee on. It is also my understanding that per Illinois law, it is no longer legal to damage a persons credit if they have medical debt.

With all of that said, what say you?
-
View Quote

Tell them to fuck off.

This is why we will end up with a socialized medical system.  People are getting ripped off by hospitals.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
See if your current insurance can help you negotiate the usual rates for the services you received.  This is a closely guarded secret of the hospital and it is difficult to negotiate with the hospital as an individual.  They are too powerful and they know it.

I was recently hospitalized for one night.  The bill was $54K.  That is the hospital’s dream payment and it rarely materializes.  My health share plan knows the going-rates and cut them a check for $14K.  They snatched it up and my bill was adjusted to $0.

View Quote

This is an interesting idea. Would they do that?
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was recently hospitalized for one night.  The bill was $54K.  That is the hospital's dream payment and it rarely materializes.  My health share plan knows the going-rates and cut them a check for $14K.  They snatched it up and my bill was adjusted to $0.

View Quote
The hospital already sold the debt.  They have been paid that debt amount is $0.

OP now owes a collector who purchased the debt.  Insurance has left the building.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually years, lawyers cost money. IF they decide to sue then you would need a lawyer asap. A lot of times the judgment is less then what the collector would have gotten if they would have played ball with the OP.

Anytime! I wouldn’t be worried about getting sued right now. If this debt gets bounced around a bunch of collection companies that’s a sign you won’t get sued. They are just buying it, selling it, buying it and etc. if it stays with one collector for 3-4 years then your risk of lawsuit goes up.

This is medical debt, NOT credit card debt. Don’t let them make you feel like a deadbeat. You NEEDED to go to the hospital. Always be polite to them, that helps if they break the law and you sue them.

Everyone views medical debt way differently than consumer debt.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Hospital billing is absolutely insane.

EDs, ambulances, Medflights, and any "emergency" medical care is cripplingly expensive without healthcare.

I am not an expert in billing/law, but I was always under the impression that delinquency on medical bills cannot legally affect credit score.  Unpaid debts may be leveraged against your "estate."  Again, IANAL and I am not an expert in this area.

Healthcare is extraordinarily expensive to offset the overwhelming number of people without insurance and/or who do not pay their bills.  Despite being "not-for-profit" entities, hospitals are there to profit, make more money every year, and pay a select (small) group of people huge sums of money (salaries).

Unfortunately, you electively visited an ED and had services rendered.  Now the hospital is looking for payment, albeit an extraordinary amount, for their rendered services.

I wish you the best of luck.  Talk to a lawyer, a local news outlet, whoever you need to.  The hospital ain't going bankrupt due to one patient's (your) bill.  Lord knows hospitals are full of free-care FSA-types who are there for some Dilaudid, Ginger ale, and a stale turkey sandwich.  It's an unfortunate circumstance, but that's American healthcare.  For better or worse.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep the whole situation is a cluster fuk. Essentially the hospital will let you walk in, run up an enormous bill, not divulge any pricing, then slap you with the bill.
View Quote

The hospital would be sued into oblivion and have the full force of CMS.gov come down on them if they tried to discuss pricing to a patient in the Emergency Department. There's a lot of folks in the ED, physicians included, who want to tell you, but can't.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Correct. You want some screwed up advice? If you ever go to the ER, give them fake information. I have customers who did this. Guy was a gang banger in chicago when he was a teen, got shot in leg, went to hospital and gave them fake info...... never paid a cent.
View Quote

Giving them false information is, assuming it reaches the dollar threshold for your state,  felony fraud. I wouldn't suggest that unless you have no other option.  Yah, a gang banger with no career or family doesn't care, but I suspect OP might not want to (among other things) lose his 2A rights on the admittedly slim chance he's prosecuted.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The hospital already sold the debt.  They have been paid that debt amount is $0.

OP now owes a collector who purchased the debt.  Insurance has left the building.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was recently hospitalized for one night.  The bill was $54K.  That is the hospital's dream payment and it rarely materializes.  My health share plan knows the going-rates and cut them a check for $14K.  They snatched it up and my bill was adjusted to $0.

This is correct, there is NO negotiating with the hospital or insurance anymore. It’s now between the OP and the collector.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would have had no issue paying a reasonable amount. Based on this whole debacle, the hosptial could charge someone 200k for giving them an aspirin then drag them through all of the bullshit hoping you fold and just pay them. This is absurd.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure I posted about it before but I went through exactly the same shots you had with the first visit being a ER visit because that's
where my primary care doctor told me to go . Total bill was 14 k

Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I faxed them over an offer of $15,000 to settle the debt back in November. They just acknowledged that fax a week ago when they reached out to me to discuss a settlement.
View Quote

I think your offer has a pretty good chance of being accepted.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did a google search of the company who sent me a letter. A bunch of negative reviews about them being scammers. Do you think the hospital would have sold the debt a mere week after offering me 25k to settle the debt? Would my 15k offer have been a better deal than selling the debt?

I honestly think something fishy is going on. The debt people claimed I owe 49k, I only owe 43k..... Seems weird.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I did a google search of the company who sent me a letter. A bunch of negative reviews about them being scammers. Do you think the hospital would have sold the debt a mere week after offering me 25k to settle the debt? Would my 15k offer have been a better deal than selling the debt?

I honestly think something fishy is going on. The debt people claimed I owe 49k, I only owe 43k..... Seems weird.
View Quote
Send the debt collector a request of verification of debt (I didn't look but I am betting it's in the link that BabaYaga22 provided earlier).  They must send verifiable documentation that proves the debit that they are trying to collect is legitimate.  

I am just a guy who has been through it once, yaga seems like he knows his shit well. If I was going to take internet advice on this matter, I would do what he says.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hospital billing is absolutely insane.

EDs, ambulances, Medflights, and any "emergency" medical care is cripplingly expensive without healthcare.

I am not an expert in billing/law, but I was always under the impression that delinquency on medical bills cannot legally affect credit score.  Unpaid debts may be leveraged against your "estate."  Again, IANAL and I am not an expert in this area.

Healthcare is extraordinarily expensive to offset the overwhelming number of people without insurance and/or who do not pay their bills.  Despite being "not-for-profit" entities, hospitals are there to profit, make more money every year, and pay a select (small) group of people huge sums of money (salaries).

Unfortunately, you electively visited an ED and had services rendered.  Now the hospital is looking for payment, albeit an extraordinary amount, for their rendered services.

I wish you the best of luck.  Talk to a lawyer, a local news outlet, whoever you need to.  The hospital ain't going bankrupt due to one patient's (your) bill.  Lord knows hospitals are full of free-care FSA-types who are there for some Dilaudid, Ginger ale, and a stale turkey sandwich.  It's an unfortunate circumstance, but that's American healthcare.  For better or worse.
View Quote

Unpaid medical debt can affect OPs credit but not as bad as a consumer debt for the same amount. In a lot of cases it’s not factored in when buying a home or car. Also God forbid should OP die, no one would be going after his estate for a medical bill. The courts frown upon collectors calling the dead OPs next of kin. Where I work we don’t even THINK about touching that or medical debt for that matter it’s too emotional and messy. It’s a lot easier to collect on someone who has 10k in credit card debt so he could get fancy clothes and BS.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I posted about it before but I went through exactly the same shots you had with the first visit being a ER visit because that's
where my primary care doctor told me to go . Total bill was 14 k

View Quote

I had a gentleman from a different forum tell me his bill totaled a little over 1k. It is blatantly obvious they are ripping me off. The vaccines and immunoglobulin are both old technology, and they were administered by a run of the mill nurse in my shoulder, like any other shot. Funny how the COVID shot is free, considering it just came out and was done so under emergency circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Send the debt collector a request of verification of debt (I didn't look but I am betting it's in the link that BabaYaga22 provided earlier).  They must send verifiable documentation that proves the debit that they are trying to collect is legitimate.  

I am just a guy who has been through it once, yaga seems like he knows his shit well. If I was going to take internet advice on this matter, I would do what he says.
View Quote

I have the document saved on my desk top. I need to go to sleep soon. I will digest all of this for a bit and decide a course of action.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check your state laws for when a hospital can sell your debt. Again ask them for validation via the link I have provided. That will explain the 6k difference. Every debt collector has been accused of scamming and SOME do. A lot of times it’s some asshole in India pretending to be a collector. That’s why you send a validation letter to get key information regarding their license to collect in your state and etc.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like you have no idea what's going on.

You aren't taking the advice given to you or asking the right questions.

You should get off GD and call a civil attorney tomorrow. He/she could save your ass from making a life altering mistake here.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is an interesting idea. Would they do that?
View Quote

I’m not sure.  They are certainly not going to pay.  But it is possible you could get information on what they would pay and what the hospital would accept for the procedures you received.

If your account is already a collection agency, then the time for haggling with the hospital has passed.  Many businesses have a template letter that appears to be a collection agency before they release the account to an agency.  That is an easy scare tactic that will work on customers unaccustomed to these matters.  Professional deadbeats will laugh at it.  It may still be possible to negotiate with the hospital.

It is also possible to negotiate with a collection agency as they prefer quick cash as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You should get off GD and call a civil attorney tomorrow. He/she could save your ass from making a life altering mistake here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talking to a lawyer is ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I was escorted out of a Algebra 2 Class in High School by Sheriffs Deputies to be taken against my will for Rabies shots at my local hospital in 1986.

it sucked.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I had a gentleman from a different forum tell me his bill totaled a little over 1k. It is blatantly obvious they are ripping me off. The vaccines and immunoglobulin are both old technology, and they were administered by a run of the mill nurse in my shoulder, like any other shot. Funny how the COVID shot is free, considering it just came out and was done so under emergency circumstances.
View Quote

It's the ER visit that ran the bill up .
At least for mine it was but that's the way the hospital does it in a bite case .

Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Roger that
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Just sent an email to surgeon generals office inquiring as to why no one got back to me.

On that note, I am gong to bed. Thank you everyone for the advice.

Special thanks to Baba for the professional input.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I have subbed to this thread, and will check it again in the morning. My wife and I are praying for you OP.

I want to tell you do not be scared and do not allow them to intimidate you. No one is coming to take you house, car, job, or food from your mouth. No one will be going after your estate over this should you pass. Do not allow this to stress you out and affect your happiness with your family. You are alive and you are not alone.

I’ll be back in the morning, God Bless OP.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just sent an email to surgeon generals office inquiring as to why no one got back to me.

On that note, I am gong to bed. Thank you everyone for the advice.

Special thanks to Baba for the professional input.
View Quote

No problem, God Bless
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#31]
PM me the name of the hospital and I’ll see if I can look up their chargemaster.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Already sent to collections, dont talk to the debt collector at all. If they try to contact you tell them not to.

Might be some exception to the above if you need to buy a house but let the lender tell you you need to first.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#33]
One of the largest things that needs to change in the medical industry is this bill you post treatment practice.  

How the hell can a patient negotiate any services if they have no idea what the cost of treatment is?

Its not just hospitals either.  I go to the dentist, I have to demand to know the pricing because they just want to whip out the tools and drill baby drill.  How exactly is it good faith to force someone needing treatment to sign accepting all liability for payments when you have not given them any guidance on payments?  They could send you a bill for anything and have a good chance at winning in court.  Hell they have a good chance if a patient came in unconscious unable to sign and gets slammed with a bill even if they didnt want treatment.

A visit to the ER for my Son had an itemized bill part of which was 800 dollars for a single 5mg dose of children's Tylenol.  I saw BS coming at the time when this was the only treatment they were offering beside ER room time, and had a FAK from my vehicle with us and was going to treat him with our meds myself, hospital was like fine but we will bill you anyway.  This is the type of stuff killing peoples faith in the medical industry.  How the hell is that legal if I treat my kid with my medicine based only on their recommendation that I get stuck with a full bill?

I've hit a point I want the insurance market destroyed.  Let the free market reign as hospitals and patients decide the cost of things.  Until patients are the sole source of payment the medical industry will continue to not give a shit about patients besides how many they can ram through the factory each day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt anyone has anything nice to say about debt collection agencies.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It’s all facts, I have used the attached template successfully before. Please bookmark, being in collections is a normal life thing to experience. My goal here to to demystify it and give everyone some basic advice and options.

@SquatchAv8
View Quote

No, it's not.

OP, why didn't you have insurance?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The price you're quoting is likely for the drug alone. That doesn't count the labor costs, overhead and other supplies. The debt collection likely bought that debt for pennies on the dollar and the longer it goes they will likely be willing to accept less. Why not offer to settle for $10,000? Did you not qualify for Medicaid since you didn't have health insurance?

View Quote

He has a house. He won't get medicaid. If he has any savings, even 500.00, he won't get it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No useful suggestions.

My first thought is to pay up, get a lawyer, or enjoy a 580 fico for the next 8 years, but I don't know.

I've been through the ER ringer.

Unless I'm literally dying or bleeding out,  I'll wait to contact my PCP on monday....
View Quote

I may be wrong but I thought I heard medical debt doesn't hit your credit like just ditching credit card bills or a car loan. Maybe it is different from state to state.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:09:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, it's not.

OP, why didn't you have insurance?
View Quote
It sure can be.  As I said above, I was in collections and I had no idea I even owed money.  I pay my bills most of the time not on time, but well before the actual due date.  My finances are important to me and I take them seriously.  I ended up in collections because of a series of clerical errors (starting with the billing office erroneously trying to bounce it off an insurance company that I haven't had in over 5 years) and I didn't know about any of it until I got a call one day from a person with an accent that I could barely understand, making not nice threats. I had no fucking clue what they were talking about.

After I verified that I did in fact owe the medical bill and I unraveled what had actually happened, there wasn't anything I could do about it since it had already been sold off.  The people who I actually originally owed the money to, would no longer even speak to me about it.  I never got a call from them saying I was late or that I ever owed in the first place. The only thing I could do was pay it off in collections before they reported to my credit, so I did.  I would have gladly paid the bill long before it went to collections....if I had actually received it.

You know what I do to avoid it happening again the future?  When I visit a doctor now, I setup alarms on my phone for every 30 days after the visit.  If I don't have a bill in the mail I start proactively calling the billing office myself, asking where my bill is.  It's fucking ridiculous....but it absolutely can happen to a "normal" person...and I don't want it to happen again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:37:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Sorry this happened OP-Wish you the best.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:12:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No health insurance at the time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you have health insurance? If so, was this not covered by insurance? What’s your out of pocket maximum?

No health insurance at the time

So this is the provider's fault.

Fuck that. You presented for care and signed the form taking responsibility.

ETA: too late for that advice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:33:39 AM EDT
[#43]
What a shit storm. Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Collection agency can do that?  OP didn’t do business with them
View Quote

Exactly, and they bought that debt for pennies on the dollar. You technically don't owe a debt collector jack squat. You haven't entered into a business transaction with them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I doubt anyone has anything nice to say about debt collection agencies.
View Quote

They are scum.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I got a call one day from a person with an accent that I could barely understand, making not nice threats. I had no fucking clue what they were talking about.

View Quote

It is a violation of the FDCPA for a debt collector to make threats or pretend to be a law enforcement agency, threaten you with jail time or arrest etc.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#47]
You got bit by someones little dog and went to the hospital.

Hospital is to get your heart pumping again.

It's not like it was a racoon stumbling around, missing half it's hair and frothing from the mouth.

I got bit all the time riding my bike as a kid from neighborhood dogs.

Hospitals suck, sorry you couldn't pass the ridiculous bill on to the dog owner.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You got bit by someones little dog and went to the hospital.

Hospital is to get your heart pumping again.

It's not like it was a racoon stumbling around, missing half it's hair and frothing from the mouth.

I got bit all the time riding my bike as a kid from neighborhood dogs.

Hospitals suck, sorry you couldn't pass the ridiculous bill on to the dog owner.
View Quote

The consequences if the dog was rabid = death
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I did not have health insurance
View Quote

Ouch.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Another reason you don't give a hospital or healthcare provider your SS#
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top