Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/15/2024 11:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skydivesnake]
Spin-off from the fat fuck thread, no we don't want to see pics of your wife freefallret, we know she's slim and blows you three times a day.

Alright so I'm mid-50's good shape, do a lot of stairmaster/rucking, can walk all day with a decent weight pack, wife is early 50's, a bit chunky but not super fat, BUT her walking range is reducing as she gets older. Right now she can't seem to manage more than 45mins on a trail path, no pack, only slight elevation changes, she used to be fine for 6-7hrs with a light pack.

I'm looking forward to retirement and doing some of the stuff I've been too busy working and raising kids to do the last 15 years, some hiking mixed in with the other things, haven't been to New England, Utah, Montana, Idaho, etc etc, so looking forward to that... BUT... I don't think the wife is gonna be up for any of that by then, or if she is, reluctantly, or wanting to do 30min max walks on flat terrain. I'm not expecting 8hr treks carrying 50lb, BUT would hope she could do 2-3hrs with a daypack.

Any of you have any advice on how to gently get her fitness levels back up ? Right now she is reluctant to even go for a 45mins walk by the creek to stretch her legs.

Gonna be just my luck to work my balls off to provide for the family, retire with $$$ and good health, and be ready to go do stuff, and end up doing it by myself because the wife wants to flub out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: any7ven] [#1]
you are asking for problems

fun activities would be a start - frisbee golf, that pickle ball crap that is hot these days

I certainly wouldn’t give her much shit if she’s a good one

gently or super gently for sure
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Its called a solo hike
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Ooooof
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spiral_Out] [#4]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:48:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: macros73] [#5]
Ask her boyfriend for advice?

More seriously: just talk to her about it like you did in your post. Express your concerns and fears, reinforce that you love her and that you want to do what you can to enjoy quality, active time together during retirement.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tveddy:
Its called a solo hike
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Gift cards for a personal trainer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck OP.

OP:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Threaten to with hold sex?
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Join a Pickleball league.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd just fucking tell her. Yes I'm happily married and yes those conversations at times have to happen
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Bitch gets up at 4:30 several mornings a week to run several miles.  I'm at a loss...
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Call her fat and tell her if she doesn’t lose weight you’ll get a girlfriend
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#14]
In before the funeral?
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish I knew
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:
Spin-off from the fat fuck thread, no we don't want to see pics of your wife freefallret, we know she's slim and blows you three times a day.

Alright so I'm mid-50's good shape, do a lot of stairmaster/rucking, can walk all day with a decent weight pack, wife is early 50's, a bit chunky but not super fat, BUT her walking range is reducing as she gets older. Right now she can't seem to manage more than 45mins on a trail path, no pack, only slight elevation changes, she used to be fine for 6-7hrs with a light pack.

I'm looking forward to retirement and doing some of the stuff I've been too busy working and raising kids to do the last 15 years, some hiking mixed in with the other things, haven't been to New England, Utah, Montana, Idaho, etc etc, so looking forward to that... BUT... I don't think the wife is gonna be up for any of that by then, or if she is, reluctantly, or wanting to do 30min max walks on flat terrain. I'm not expecting 8hr treks carrying 50lb, BUT would hope she could do 2-3hrs with a daypack.

Any of you have any advice on how to gently get her fitness levels back up ? Right now she is reluctant to even go for a 45mins walk by the creek to stretch her legs.

Gonna be just my luck to work my balls off to provide for the family, retire with $$$ and good health, and be ready to go do stuff, and end up doing it by myself because the wife wants to flub out.
View Quote

Be very open and honest and just tell her she's fucking out of shape, and here is what I have planned, either join me of I'm going alone. Offer to help her adjust her diet and get a regular exercise regimen going. Tell her this is important that you both get in shape together because you don't want to be one of those 70 year olds that can't make it to the kitchen without being out of breath and struggling to open a pickle jar. Either she will be receptive or she will resent you. Go places to hike that she might be inters ted in, even if it means walking around a fucking mall for three hours, then try a museum, a park, and then state and national parks. Explain to her that she will need to be in shape to see some of these places and for all we know you only get one shot at it. If you both are out of shape and can't handle a simple incline in Texas, Co, NM, Utah, Wy, MT, will smoke your boots. Also, get her a complete physical, including hormones.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
I'd just fucking tell her. Yes I'm happily married and yes those conversations at times have to happen
View Quote

Hope her boyfriend is a nice guy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:18:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10mmManiac] [#18]
Originally Posted By any7ven:
you are asking for problems

fun activities would be a start - frisbee golf, that pickle ball crap that is hot these days

I certainly wouldn’t give her much shit if she’s a good one

gently or super gently for sure
View Quote

This is what they expect, fuck being "gentle". Tell her how it is and be very honest without being ignorant. Express your concerns. If she gets mad, tough shit, she let herself get out of shape. People need to be held accountable and not have everything sugar coated especially when it comes to their health.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Nah, part of being on the team is motivating your partner to keep going.

My wife wouldn't tolerate me throwing in the towel and vice versa.  

Early 50s is way too early to hang up your hiking shoes and get fat.  One of the most depressing things is watching people put their best days behind them prematurely and just turn into eaters.

I totally understand OP.  I'm very much looking forward to hitting retirement here in the next 10 years and having the time to hike, bike, surf, and snowboard with my wife anytime we want.  I'd be devastated if she bailed on me just prior to our moment of financial triumph.

Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm 87 percent sure that 87 percent of ARF members are wealthy chiseled gods that expect the same of their partners. It's the only reasonable conclusion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Tell her she's fat.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to worry about the exact same thing, but my wife solved the problem for me by divorcing me this year.

Now I have have a thin, fit girlfriend. We're planning our first camping trip for early next year.

I took a lot of solo camping/hiking trips while married, and while I enjoyed them, I never envisioned myself doing that forever. I wanted a partner, but there was no way I was ever going to motivate my ex-wife to lose weight and hit the trail with me.

Sorry I can't offer any advice outside of getting with someone who takes her fitness seriously and shares your interests.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Tell her she’s fat. Might benefit her next husband.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#24]
When I was 7 years old and my dad yelling at me:

“Son leave that fucking wasp nest alone, you are going to get your ass stung”. “OK dad, good advice”

I have a lot of friends at church and we go out for coffee after morning mass.  90% of the group are women, we are all in the 58-70 year old range.  My wife never goes with us even when I ask her.   I quit asking her and now she is going with us
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

That's like winning the God damn lottery.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:29:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DukeFan23] [#26]
Wife and I play pickle ball.  Pickle ball I know.  My buddy finally convinced me to play with him after about a year of consistently making fun of him, and I had a blast.  Me and my wife now play since I got her into it.

It’s actually a good time and can be as low or high intensity as you want it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Try telling her how good her best friend, that is 20 pounds lighter than her, looks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Offer to participate in a 5k for a charity she is interested in and ask her to join you. There are run-walk to run programs out there if she's interested, but building her confidence with the first one at a brisk walk can help you get to the next phase. If she's walking that's better than no activity so make sure she knows that's fine. Before you know it you'll go from 5k to half marathon in a year. I know Disney isn't viewed in the best light for many good reasons, but the Run Disney events at Disney World are pretty darn impressive for even people who aren't "Disney" people. If there even the slightest interest on her part and you can scrounge the coin up, get the first 5k knocked out and then suggest you both go to a Disney World 5k, if she enjoys that, propose you all book a trip and prep for the half marathon the following year.

If you have a decent pace during the events you have time to hop on a few of the high demand rides while running through the otherwise empty parks and stop to do meet a greets with photos with several of the notable characters from the various Disney/MGM catalog of films.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:41:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GDaawg] [#29]
Do like my dad did. Tell her if she doesn't lose at least 50 lbs you will divorce her ass.  After my mom cried in a bed a week straight after being told this she finally woke up and started dieting and using a treadmill. Got down to 120lbs again.

Not saying my dad wasn't an asshole but his method worked! Temporarily at least. She eventually gained it back a couple years later. And yes they ended up divorced anyway.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 762AP:
Try telling her how good her best friend, that is 20 pounds lighter than her, looks.
View Quote

That is actually a possibility, she does have a same-age but slimmer friend that hikes... hmmm...
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Tough one op. If she hasn't bee into physical fitness up into her 40's, tough to make her do so. Often takes a "wake up call" to get people moving...i.e., cancer scare, bad cholesterol, bad BP or something along those lines.

For clients I've worked with, it's about setting goals.

Vacation coming up....hey, lets loose 10 lbs together! Or perhaps like the poster said above, charity 5k. Maybe some of her friends are into Spartan runs etc.

Maybe find an exercise she likes, paddle board, kayak?

But sometimes, yeah, tell her the truth that you want her to start moving more and it's even MORE important when going into retirement.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

Nah, part of being on the team is motivating your partner to keep going.

My wife wouldn't tolerate me throwing in the towel and vice versa.  

Early 50s is way too early to hang up your hiking shoes and get fat.  One of the most depressing things is watching people put their best days behind them prematurely and just turn into eaters.

I totally understand OP.  I'm very much looking forward to hitting retirement here in the next 10 years and having the time to hike, bike, surf, and snowboard with my wife anytime we want.  I'd be devastated if she bailed on me just prior to our moment of financial triumph.

View Quote

Right. I've got 20 years minimum of fun shit queued up.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Did I miss what physical activity she actually enjoys?  Maybe she doesn’t like hiking.  There are many more.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#34]
It’s definitely the semen from the three blow jobs a day. It’s like a natural diet pill.
Works for my wife too and I haven’t been in a bad mood for 14 years.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 1:17:41 AM EDT
[#35]
If you figure it out let me know. My wife has given me a pile of children, but this one in May was our last. I’m waiting for her to start trying to cut the weight but instead she’s just piling it on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 1:48:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Just tell her she's fat and it's going to lower her life span and that would break your fucking heart.

You won't get what you won't ask for.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:23:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#37]
Drag her ass over the finish line with you. Note that it's not a her thing,  but a you thing. You need her help and encouragement.  I don't give a flying fig, get you and her a pedometer and measure  your walking space.  Grocery store, mall, Wal-Mart what ever climate controlled space that you prefer,  cut the calories and get at leat 5000 steps per day to start out. You get to count them all from get out of the bed to retirement  in the evening. That kind of plants a kernel in your head about how much you really need to move in a day.

As you get into it you keep going for that highscore advertisement.

Otherwise ask her other boyfriend to get off of her! That's too much bulk for her to contain.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:24:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Step 1: Invite her to a nice long drive.
Step 2: Offer to hold onto her phone and wallet.
Step 3: Kick her out of the car. Without a phone or money she will have no choice but to walk home.

Thank me later
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:35:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#39]

no we don't want to see pics of your wife freefallret, we know she's slim and blows you three times a day.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:42:54 AM EDT
[#40]
My girlfriend is pretty good at it. She's an OR nurse and constantly mentiones the out of shape fat asses they work on. The one before my current girlfriend owned a yoga studio and had at one time been a pro beach volleyball player. She took it to the next level.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:43:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Get her a horse. Then she will be active, and you’ll never retire. Win win…
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:47:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#42]
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:
My girlfriend is pretty good at it. She's an OR nurse and constantly mentiones the out of shape fat asses they work on. The one before my current girlfriend owned a yoga studio and had at one time been a pro beach volleyball player. She took it to the next level.
View Quote

You'll also be dead broke with a horse barn some acreage,  a dually and a feather weight or better trailer.

Hat trick, she's a red head and loves the show circuit! and either has or is on her way to her Nursing degree.  

The more mellow one is the large or small veterinary assistants, always compassionate and caring but still warped but in a "good: way, they are open to new ideas.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:52:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By bgrhammer:
Drag her ass over the finish line with you. Note that it's not a her thing,  but a you thing. You need her help and encouragement.  I don't give a flying fig, get you and her a pedometer and measure  your walking space.  Grocery store, mall, Wal-Mart what ever climate controlled space that you prefer,  cut the calories and get at leat 5000 steps per day to start out. You get to count them all from get out of the bed to retirement  in the evening. That kind of plants a kernel in your head about how much you really need to move in a day.

As you get into it you keep going for that highscore advertisement.

Otherwise ask her other boyfriend to get off of her! That's too much bulk for her to contain.
View Quote

Yeah actually using the mall is not a bad idea...
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:52:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#44]

You'll also be dead broke with a horse barn some acreage,  a dually and a feather weight or better trailer.

Hat trick, she's a red head and loves the show circuit!
View Quote

I'm retired at 53 and she works part time now semi retired. She did not take the vacfcine so they shuffled her off to  a general practicioner isntead of the OR and now only does it part time. She's is very based and doesn't do horses either but whatever. I have a few cows. But she still mentions the incrediably out of shape and fat people that couldn't understand why needed surgery at only 50.

I would never say it, but she might go for ponies. She's only 4'-11 so not sure how that would work with a horse
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I got on shape .

I don’t mean I lost a few lbs, didn’t so some weird bullshit. I really got in shape.

I became the guy who at 41 years old ran a 1:50 half marathon and 22:00 min 5k and deadlifts 400+lb and ran a triathlon for fun and shit like that.

She eventually caved, and now gives me a run for my money.

It took her long enough, but she figured it out.

I still can’t get her to run a half with me, but she can kick my ass at 5k on the rower.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:07:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#46]
You haven't mentioned what health issues she might be dealing with that might be responsible for her diminished physical abilities
You might have twenty years of fun stuff lined up in your mind, but you might be surprised at how fast those plans get altered once the OEM equipment starts to wear out and doesn't work like it used to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Yeah actually using the mall is not a bad idea...
View Quote

Last one I lived  near had 1/8th and 1/4 mile markers in the floor for distances,then ecouraged the old folk to come in the morning. They filled it up to make it look more busy and hit the coffee kiosk, IHOP and a few other chains. They offered discounts and age discounts store wide during senior hours.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:24:30 AM EDT
[#48]

I'm retired at 53 and she works part time now semi retired. She did not take the vacfcine so they shuffled her off to  a general practicioner isntead of the OR and now only does it part time. She's is very based and doesn't do horses either but whatever. I have a few cows. But she still mentions the incrediably out of shape and fat people that couldn't understand why needed surgery at only 50.

I would never say it, but she might go for ponies. She's only 4'-11 so not sure how that would work with a horse
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hat trick, she's a red head and loves the show circuit!

No offense, give her the challenge where when you get close to your 30's fitness level/bodystyle  as a goal for a blow out night on the town with a litte bump and grind at the end.  

PLAYAH!
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:48:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Just tell her that she is starting to look like your ex-wife.
When she says "but you were never married before".
Just smile at her.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:55:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#50]
Originally Posted By southeast_scrounger:
I'm 87 percent sure that 87 percent of ARF members are wealthy chiseled gods that expect the same of their partners. It's the only reasonable conclusion.
View Quote

Not really,  but truth be told, at least 98% of us wish to be in that position even if we are comfortable in our current position in life.
To have 8 or 9 digits behind your name.  That could remove a lot anxiety and free some minds. I'm not saying blow that money  on cars and other frivolous expenses.  But set yourself up with a revolving income. That way you deny yourself now for a Better pay off tomorrow.

I relish the thought of being a kept man. Outside of the one in a million debutant, it's  not in the stars for me.  My Cinderella story is a hot wife that bank roll's me into about 6-10 mixed income properties and we have a portfolio of Properties that out perrform by 10-14 % y.o.y.

I'm just East of Dallas ladies, I might be simple, I might be poor but I've got drive. And experience in housing management.
Just saying. I'm also tall, pasty and have a unique attractiveness, so basically I'm unfuckable unless  that's your  jam. Bad thing is that puts us at odds.

I have unrealistic standards for my mate, I'm not looking for a  classical beauty,  but I've put  in the work in to drop my weight.  IF  you're actively working on that and need a pa9rtner, I can work with you and see if we match up as freinds, Aquantances or companions and possibly lovers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top