BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a lot more creepy crawly shit in Kansas than one might think. Tarantulas, brown recluses, black widows, scorpions, lizards, 87 different kinds of wasps, copperheads, timber, prairie, and diamondback rattlesnakes...among other things.
View Quote
I think the answer to OPs question is: Columbia Missouri. North of there things drop off, Recluses, etc. I grew up in SWMo and we had all that shit. Scorps, recluses, widows, copperheads, rattlers and moccasins. I was bitten by a recluse and copperhead in the same summer on different Boy Scout camp outs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hahaha

OK can sell real beer outside liquor stores now. It was game changing Circle K put up big ass billboards on the side of 40 to celebrate
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ones in OK only drink 3.2 beer though. The ones in Texas are hard core. They like fortified wine.

Hahaha

OK can sell real beer outside liquor stores now. It was game changing Circle K put up big ass billboards on the side of 40 to celebrate
How did they get a billboard away from the pot vendors?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Fire ants aren't big, but they're major asshoe. I wonder how far north those have gotten.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was never my experience. Goddamn mosquitos down here are brutal. I spent some time in Washington and Oregon and never really had any issues with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Far as I can tell, the "Giant bugs there" thing is mostly mythological. The insect world isn't all that different place to place in the US.

In SC we have big orb weaver spiders but they're not dangerous at all. Tarantulas aren't either.

Mosquitos are worse in the PNW than in the south.

That was never my experience. Goddamn mosquitos down here are brutal. I spent some time in Washington and Oregon and never really had any issues with them.

Seems to me NE and PNW have it pretty easy regarding bugs. I saw my first cockroaches in Iowa City then Honolulu. But I also saw my first firefly—pretty damn cool. We have some mosquitos but they are fairly limited an small. No big ass insects and very rare poisonous ones (recluse). Bald face murder hornets are the bitch but easy to locate and eradicate.

The rain and cold discourage most of those vermin it seems.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Big cockroaches are bad pretty much over the south, I would imagine.  One plus of living in an area with fire ants is a drastic reduction of tick populations compared to the north.
View Quote

Hmmmm, some of the nastiest tick infestations I’ve seen were in Belize, right alongside fire ants.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
VA/KY. Thereabouts
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If they're like the ones in Canada, they're huge! Look like fucking pterodactyls flying around. It must be the moose blood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
can anyone recall the story that was posted here from the guy that was airforce(?) working in alaska conveying the size of the mosquitoes there. something about how one landed on the runway and they pumped x amount of jp1 in it before they realized it wasnt a friendly craft.

i still remember somewhat the story. had me cracking up with the mental picture!

ETA:  it was in a thread about mosquitoes. probably archived

If they're like the ones in Canada, they're huge! Look like fucking pterodactyls flying around. It must be the moose blood.

Mosquitoes are the unofficial state bird up here.  

What's weird is it seems like the areas with the coldest winters have it the worst.  I remember growing up (Ohio) everyone wanted a good hard freeze to kill as many off as possible.  Up here they survive -60 or worse in the interior.  We get them here in the valley and down in Anchorage but not near as bad as it is up in the interior.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I love catching all the big insects and spiders in Texas!

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

whats the larvae of the last pic?
View Quote

That’s a grub
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:52:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not putting up with baldfaced aholes this year.  A plan is being developed.
View Quote

Ground applied Imadaclorpid is your friend.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Bullet ants are said to have the world's most painful sting. Some say the pain is like getting shot with a bullet!

"Like walking over flaming charcoal with three inches of nails embedded in your heel."
View Quote
The immense pain comes from Poneratoxin, a paralyzing neurotoxic peptide that inactivates sodium ion channels in your body, affecting the central nervous system; this venom is considered a neurotoxin.

What Happens When You're Stung by Bullet Ants? | Deadly 60 | Earth Unplugged

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:09:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

whats the larvae of the last pic?
View Quote

Pretty sure that is the larva of a rhino beetle.

The Dobson fly posted will freak you out if they land near you and you have never seen one.  Like a small bird!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Chiggers are tiny, but they are the spawn of the devil
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:19:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I've lived in the deep south all of my life.

I went to Canada for a fishing trip once,  let me tell you, Florida mosquitos aint got shit on Canadian mosquitos!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Once you get in areas that get hard, and lengthy, freezes, the big bugs start to go away
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:46:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember riding my motorcycle on a back road in FL and a big tortoise was sitting in road. So I picked him up and walked into this orange grove. Must have walked 50 yards and I just happened to look up and there right in front of my face was the biggest spider I’d ever seen spread out on web. It was as big as my hand. It was black & white,basically looked like a giant widow.  The hair on my neck stood up,dropped turtle and got the F’ outta there!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The biggest spiders we have up here are the wolf spider, grass spider, barn spider.

I hate them enough.

What states do the really big nasty ones start?
View Quote

The 49th Parallel.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:19:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That’s a grub
View Quote

yep but was asking for more. im a very amateur entomologist
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:26:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Rhino beetle, they get a lot bigger, some are the size of smoked sausage links lol
View Quote

Quoted:

Pretty sure that is the larva of a rhino beetle.

The Dobson fly posted will freak you out if they land near you and you have never seen one.  Like a small bird!
View Quote

thank you to the both of you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#22]
https://texashillcountry.com/3-facts-texas-centipedes/

Came across a few of these working in Texas earlier this year..
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#23]
We just have mosquitos here. What they lack in size they make up for in quantity and sheer perseverance of the will.

Also some rattlesnakes, copperhead, and cottonmouth snakes and some brown recluse and black widow spiders but the spiders never really get that big which is where they getcha when you're doing yard work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#24]
We have black widows and brown recluses here, but they're not common.  I have quite a few walking sticks by me and I've seen a few praying mantis as well.  Mosquitos might as well be the state bird, but Chicago tourists are pretty much the nastiest bugs to be found here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The southwest has a wasp that's big enough to kill and drag tarantulas to their nest.
View Quote

Tarantula hawks are nasty on paper - their sting is the second most painful of any insect. But, they're actually very docile. I ran into a group of about a dozen outside Bakersfield, within a foot or two of them, and they just ignored me.

On the other hand,

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's just the baby cockroaches in Texas, like this one...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50575/D34F2BEC-EC12-421B-BAF7-F0A97D3B3A1F_jpe-1844439.JPG
View Quote

Had a realtor in Texas tell me those are “water bugs” and “welcome to Texas” as I surveyed a few thousand of them dead littering the floor.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://media.wired.com/photos/5954a1c78e8cc150fa8ec717/master/w_1600%2Cc_limit/GettyImages-139289963.jpg

Tarantula hawks are nasty on paper - their sting is the second most painful of any insect. But, they're actually very docile. I ran into a group of about a dozen outside Bakersfield, within a foot or two of them, and they just ignored me.

On the other hand,

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/e/e4/Cazador.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/800?cb=20101111122125
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The southwest has a wasp that's big enough to kill and drag tarantulas to their nest.

https://media.wired.com/photos/5954a1c78e8cc150fa8ec717/master/w_1600%2Cc_limit/GettyImages-139289963.jpg

On the other hand,

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/e/e4/Cazador.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/800?cb=20101111122125
I actually got into a gun fight with the one I posted above. They normally are pretty chill, but I spend a lot of time in their territory, so I run into some assholes sometimes. I was out alone that day, middle of nowhere on a huge ranch I lease. That one started making strafing runs at my face, so in my infinite wisdom, I started shooting at it with my Taurus judge with #6 shot. BAD idea, as it is a lot harder to hit a 3" flying object than I expected. I probably looked like a crazy man from a distance, blasting away at an invisible enemy, emptying my firearm, then using it as a shitty club to swing at it, but you gotta do what you gotta do when you're about to be stung by one of satans minions. Turns out, catching them by swinging your hat, then throwing your hat on the ground and jumping up and down on it with both feet works better than trying to shoot them (they're tough as fuck, one stomp just pisses them off, you gotta really get after it).

I've swung and hit them with shovels, with an audible "ping", using a swing that John Mackinroe would be proud of too, only to have them stop mid air after they bleed off some air speed, and reverse direction to make another run at me. That particular one I felt like I was playing the most high stakes game of winged-death tetherball ever, because no matter how hard I hit that fucker, it shrugged it off and came back more pissed every time. Finally got a good smack that scrambled it's cpu, and it hit the ground so I clubbed it with the shovel a few times like an angry caveman, then used the tried and true double foot stomp method to finally end its reign of terror.

Man fuck those things!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top