Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
6'2", 225lbs - My dog and I walk 5 miles a day (And those are hard miles these days), jsut had spinal surgery due to severe compression of the spine.  Right leg is still - not weak per se, but the nerves are still fucked up and it goes weak, unexpectedly.

My dog is 7 years old and she is kind of ready to not do a full 5 miles and I am prone to go along with her on that.

No 6-pack, no interest in a 6 pack.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I run the obstacle course races and usually finish top ten.
5'10" about 170lbs trying to bulk up a few lbs so I'm lifting more than running right now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
5/11 at 220
Attachment Attached File

Im as soft as I like to get right now. I only lift like 3 days a week and run 1-2 days/week.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you logging all of your calories? To make that work long term you should have at least one replenishment day per week. You can still eat clean, just try to take in 3-400 calories over your maintenance.

I’m on a similar cut. 5’11” started the summer at 210 (fuckin fatty). This morning I weighed in at 178, abs are starting to show.

Been rucking a lot because our summers are super short. Running 3 miles 1-2x a week. Calisthenics.

The best part of this lifestyle is I’ve been able to stop taking my blood pressure meds and maintain a healthy blood pressure.
View Quote

I cook from scratch. I weigh all my food raw and log it in grams or ounces.

My diet is pretty plain. In the morning I have my Men's health vitamins, 140 g blueberries, and between 17 and 18 oz of boneless/skinless chicken breast (I trim off any visible fat before I weigh it), cooked plain with no oil, just a dash of garlic salt, onion powder, and Montreal chicken seasoning. Then I do my AM workout.

A couple hours after my first workout, I take in about 62 g of protein powder. I workout again and hike. Then take in another 32 g of protein powder in the evening. Every Sunday I'll have some micronutrient dense foods: Beef liver, chicken eggs, and salmon eggs.

I'm hitting my daily protein minimums of atleast 175g protein per day, and keeping it at right around 1k cals. Severe cut, but it's working and I'm not losing muscle or strength.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
enough to be tied.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I’m  pretty good at 47 and 175lb

Ran 5mi last week @7:09 avg/mi

In the weight room:

I’m doing 5sets x 6 @260 on bench

5sets x 6 @ 310 on squat
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

Body type is a thing.

Though op, i question your body fat percentage numbers. I dont see how they could be that high with your height weight intake and regimen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5'9" and 147 lbs is emaciated.

I'm the same height and 165 right now, probably 12% BF......and I'm too small.

Eat and lift.

Body type is a thing.

Though op, i question your body fat percentage numbers. I dont see how they could be that high with your height weight intake and regimen

Frame size has a minimal effect on ideal lean body mass when under 6' tall.

You want as much muscle as genetically possible.

If you're a natty then there's really no such thing as "too much muscle".

Using a few different calculators based on my wrist circumference, the absolute maximum weight I could be as a natural with 10% bodyfat is around 195 lbs. At this point in my life, that would be pretty much impossible to achieve.

Sub 150 lbs at that height is a distance runner's build, and most people would agree they don't want that physique.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I fit in my clothes.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here's a 5'9" guy at 125/160/150.  Certainly not emaciated.  I'd guess 95% of men would love to look like the 150lb shot.

https://i.redd.it/7sqv5jn73ra31.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat and lift.
Here's a 5'9" guy at 125/160/150.  Certainly not emaciated.  I'd guess 95% of men would love to look like the 150lb shot.

I doubt OP is sub 10% bodyfat like that guy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Idk....

I'm incorporating more weight lifting - while trying to keep cardio in the picture.

Issue is, physical stuff keeps coming up (i.e. tree branches falling) where my physical limits are pushed and I have to take a step back cuz my back and arms and stuff hurt...

So, my test is how my clothes fit - where yea, the scale shows I'm going down by almost 10 pounds and pants feeling a bit looser, but I am not consistent in my workouts cuz I have to keep stepping back to heal from pain from the unexpected shit.

Also, looks like on the Xth month of perimenopause, my dear hormones are gifting me with the rapid regrowth of fibroids - where it's hard to tell if I'm getting fat or its the fibroids. I need to get that checked, but again, shit has come out where if I have to have a procedure done, I can't do it right now because the damage to my body, hormones and psyche is too much for me right now. I need to be at 100% to deal with some shit I'm working on personally, professionally, etc.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm 5'3'' and 300lbs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat and lift.

I have a hard time believing he's 125 in that first picture unless he had his legs cut off in an industrial accident.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is simply not true at all. I'm 5'11"ish and weighed 149# this morning. I'm an avid endurance/ mountain athlete who engages in a lot of cardio. I did a 9 mile hike yesterday with ~40# on my back and 2,200' of vertical gain in a few hours and it was a casual outing. I'm definitely not a meat head and I'm sure many people can lift more than me. However, they aren't keeping up with me in the mountains. Which is my main priority for overall fitness.

I climbed the Grand Teton a few weeks ago in 11 hours car to car. Which entailed ~16 miles round trip and 7,700' of gain per my watch. My pack was likely around 30#.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95497/IMG_2639_jpeg-2933880.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat and lift.
This is simply not true at all. I'm 5'11"ish and weighed 149# this morning. I'm an avid endurance/ mountain athlete who engages in a lot of cardio. I did a 9 mile hike yesterday with ~40# on my back and 2,200' of vertical gain in a few hours and it was a casual outing. I'm definitely not a meat head and I'm sure many people can lift more than me. However, they aren't keeping up with me in the mountains. Which is my main priority for overall fitness.

I climbed the Grand Teton a few weeks ago in 11 hours car to car. Which entailed ~16 miles round trip and 7,700' of gain per my watch. My pack was likely around 30#.

I know nothing about that sport, but do you think having a higher relative bodyweight to your pack would be more helpful in some instances? Assuming the extra weight was all muscle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Using a few different calculators based on my wrist circumference, the absolute maximum weight I could be as a natural with 10% bodyfat is around 195 lbs. At this point in my life, that would be pretty much impossible to achieve.

Sub 150 lbs at that height is a distance runner's build, and most people would agree they don't want that physique.
View Quote
Where might someone find a calculator like that? I'm too old to reach my natural potential but I'm curious what could have been.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I cook from scratch. I weigh all my food raw and log it in grams or ounces.

My diet is pretty plain. In the morning I have my Men's health vitamins, 140 g blueberries, and between 17 and 18 oz of boneless/skinless chicken breast (I trim off any visible fat before I weigh it), cooked plain with no oil, just a dash of garlic salt, onion powder, and Montreal chicken seasoning. Then I do my AM workout.

A couple hours after my first workout, I take in about 62 g of protein powder. I workout again and hike. Then take in another 32 g of protein powder in the evening. Every Sunday I'll have some micronutrient dense foods: Beef liver, chicken eggs, and salmon eggs.

I'm hitting my daily protein minimums of atleast 175g protein per day, and keeping it at right around 1k cals. Severe cut, but it's working and I'm not losing muscle or strength.
View Quote

Right on! I hope you meet your goal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think I’m  pretty good at 47 and 175lb

Ran 5mi last week @7:09 avg/mi

In the weight room:

I’m doing 5sets x 6 @260 on bench

5sets x 6 @ 310 on squat
View Quote

I don't believe you, sorry.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I weigh less now than what I weighed when I graduated from High school and that's been over forty years ago.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol. Well if most people agree then certainly the rest of us are wrong. Most people are overweight, sedentary and eat crap all day
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Where might someone find a calculator like that? I'm too old to reach my natural potential but I'm curious what could have been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's two different formulas to try.

https://dioxyme.com/pages/maximum-muscular-potential-calculator
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol. Well if most people agree then certainly the rest of us are wrong. Most people are overweight, sedentary and eat crap all day
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said want, not have. Big difference.

Most people want things, but are too lazy to get them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]
At 5'9" you should be shooting for 170 ish at 10% body fat.

Down in the 140 range you'll look more like concentration camp than fit.

I'm 5'9 and hit 9% body fat at about 165lbs at end of 2017 for a men's physique competition.

To be competitive I needed to be at 6% and about 175 lbs.

My goal is walking around at 12% or so and weighing around 175-180lbs.

51 years old.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I know nothing about that sport, but do you think having a higher relative bodyweight to your pack would be more helpful in some instances? Assuming the extra weight was all muscle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat and lift.

I think if the goal was only to carry a super heavy pack then more muscle mass is maybe helpful. The extra mass does mean more weight you're having to move and consequently more calories you have to consume. There is a reason why most endurance athletes do not look like meat heads. From a practical perspective, I don't think being a muscle bound giant would help me in my endurance activities.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

Haven't stepped on in a little bit. I'm probably at 8% now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's a job to get it done brother.
I'm 5'10" 130lbs with 3.8% body fat. I have a physically intense job that involves either being in the sun or an attic most of the time.
I'm trying eat close to 3 to 4k calories a day and still have trouble adding a pound a week reliably. For me the problem is being all cut and not being able to add muscle mass
I don't have any good advice other than hang in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat and lift.

Body type is a thing.

It actually could be alot lower than that. I can see my top two abs and a bit of my 3rd and 4th abs below that. But I also tend to bloat alot around my midsection, so it's often hard to tell (I look leanest first thing in the AM). I plan on getting a Dexa scan soon so I can know for sure.

It's a job to get it done brother.
I'm 5'10" 130lbs with 3.8% body fat. I have a physically intense job that involves either being in the sun or an attic most of the time.
I'm trying eat close to 3 to 4k calories a day and still have trouble adding a pound a week reliably. For me the problem is being all cut and not being able to add muscle mass
I don't have any good advice other than hang in there.

3.8%?

Are you prepping for a show or something?

That's what most pros shoot for when getting stage ready, and it's extremely unhealthy. Most men have an essential body fat percentage of about 5%, meaning that when you drop below that, things stop working.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#25]
5'9"  162 pounds. I have lost 40 pounds since February.

Most of my clothes are a little too big, but I think I could stand to loose a little more.

This was me yesterday -

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Eat and lift.
View Quote
yep.  Start a new thread.  

How far can you throw 147lbs?
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At 5'9" you should be shooting for 170 ish at 10% body fat.

Down in the 140 range you'll look more like concentration camp than fit.

I'm 5'9 and hit 9% body fat at about 165lbs at end of 2017 for a men's physique competition.

To be competitive I needed to be at 6% and about 175 lbs.

My goal is walking around at 12% or so and weighing around 175-180lbs.

51 years old.
View Quote

This right here.

I'm 5'9" and sitting right at 179. It's fairly easy for me to maintain and I still have a "okayish" six pack. If I want to look really good I cut 10-15 lbs, but I don't feel good at that weight.

I got down to 159 lbs three years ago and people thought I was sick. I can't imagine that OP looks good at 147, but who knows. I question his body fat numbers...should be much lower than he is calculating.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm benching above my body weight. I'm small framed though, so if I do crack 200, I don't expect to ever make it too much higher than that. I don't have any desire to be an Olympic power lifer though, so that doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Eat and lift.
View Quote
My height and 142! I do a pretty good job on a 53' flat bad when it comes to load securement and tarpping. At 65, emaciated or not, I'm fit!
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#30]
6' on the thinner side. 160+

Can walk from sun up to sun down and have never even felt any foot pain ever.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Planks. But I already have abs, they are just hidden behind a layer of fat. I'm dropping my calories so I can finally strip off the layer of fat so my abs can show.
View Quote
Try decline bench crunches with a dumbell for weight. Keep it slow and controlled. It's a simple exercise, but man is it lethal on your abs if you do it right.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
5/11 at 220
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20230704_112718_jpg-2933892.JPG

Im as soft as I like to get right now. I only lift like 3 days a week and run 1-2 days/week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HUz70sBGuA
View Quote

I am about the same size/weight as you.  Pretty impressive deadlift sets man.  405x12 is no joke.  I am doing sets of 275x8, working my way up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Add weights and calories - holy fucking shit 1000 calories a day? Fuck me silly.

Download Mike Thurstons app and do that. Increase calories to 2200 to 2500.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Go on YouTube and search for Renaissance Periodization. Ingest everything he’s posted.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Go back 50 or more years guys with the same height weighed a lot less than they do now and worked harder, longer, and in non AC.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.

We have been visually conditioned over time to associate more weight with the same height than in years past thus the normalization of fatties.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Here's two different formulas to try.

https://dioxyme.com/pages/maximum-muscular-potential-calculator
View Quote

Using the CaseyButts formula, results were spot on with where I maxed out back in college at just under 10%bf
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#37]
5’ 10 3/4”..182lb 51yo

I’m not a jogger(hate it) but i have been doing it Saturday and sunday. I did it with the dog today, he did 2 miles and slowed me down to 9:58/mile. He has to smell and pee, and i have to get off the road and hold him by his harness wile cars go by as he acts like cujo. Only 2 cars passed tho. Put him up and did another mile. Did some curls. My job is construction so I’ve always been in a little bit of shape.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#38]
OP is on a non-sustainable, starvation diet with only 1,000 calories/day and working out.

You are actually hurting yourself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m 6’2” and right at 200 pounds. I’m also 48 years old. I have always been fairly fit, I ran sub 4-hour  marathons back in my 20’s and regularly trained with some triathlon groups but only did a sprint. I have never really lifted until Covid lockdowns and I bought a squat rack, bench, Olympic bar and 300 pounds of bumper weights.

My week normally goes like this:

-Max-Out Monday: I have a whiteboard in my home workout area that has my max lifts or times for about 25 different exercises. On Monday I’ll pick a few and do my best to get a new personal best. For example, last week I tried to break max hanging pull-ups, max full dips and max reps bench at 135. I marked off the board the dips (26) and the bench (28) but tied the 14 hanging pull-ups that have been in the board for a couple weeks now. Once I mark off at least one number I then focus on doing sets of whatever exercise I didn’t beat.  Since this past Monday was upper body exercises, tomorrow will be lower body exercises.

-Top Tuesday: Freeweights that focus on upper body. I follow the 5x5 system with this. If I’m not reaching failure on the fifth set it’s not enough weight. This tends to be one of the longer workouts of the week.

-Body weight Wednesday: Any and all body weight exercises. Push-ups, air squats, pull-ups dips. It’s also when I’ll put on a plate carrier and grab my carbine and do drills using my bar racked on the bench to practice squatting and dry firing under it then over it and so on. My legs got fried once during a carbine class doing position drills and I realized how deficient I was there.

Thigh Thursday: A little back story here.  I grew up on a farm and lived a life that was probably a lot closer to the kids on farms 100 years ago. Lots of manual labor specifically shoveling and bending over lifting. At about 13 I apparently blew 3 discs in my lower back that kind of fused back together as I grew and have caused me some significant pain over the years. Because of this deadlifts and normal squats are pretty painful. I’ve been pretty light in this department as far as lifting. It’s my weakest area.  I recently bought a Trap Bar and it’s helped immensely. It’s not quite the same as a normal squat but if you really focus on form it’s pretty close.  I hate this day most of all.

-Free Friday: this is a free day that I get to workout whatever I feel like working out unless I missed one of the previous workouts and then I have to make it up.

One thing that I have found that helps is to write the next day’s workout on the board. That way you aren’t making up a workout as you go. It helps me push that much harder.

I also play basketball with my son, do a lot of walks on the beach and for about eight months out of the year spend a significant amount of time surfing. For example I spent over four hours paddling in the water yesterday catching a wave on average about every 5 minutes. It’s a good cardio exercise. When the water gets cold I’ll switch over to some distance running, but not the distances I used to.

I also cut out almost all sugar, I don’t drink alcohol, I eat mostly lean meat like chicken and fish and doubled my vegetable intake. I also started eating Greek yogurt with granola for breakfast. My younger self would be so disappointed.

I don’t have a scale in my house so I don’t track weight. I do have a 44” chest and a 32” waist and I can see most of my abs but I’m not particularly concerned with aesthetic. I just like to be lean so I can still be active and the health benefits.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#40]
You might wanna put on a little weight for the winter, just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Holy cow that 1000 calories seems like a bad idea.  That’s gotta be doing serious damage to your metabolism from my understanding of these things.  

I’m 5’7”, 147# and I’m eating 2400 calories a day and losing fat doing it.  I lift weights and work construction so I’m pretty active throughout the day, and the fat loss is slow but steady, but I can’t imagine a 1000 cal diet.  

Fitness level is pretty good for an early 40s dude I think.  8 mile, 50# ruck at 4mph average on flat ground.  I’m working on bodyweight overhead press, 1.5xBW bench, 2x squat, and 2.5x deadlift.  I’m currently about 10-15% down on all of them but I’m getting stronger.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#43]
183- hair under 6'
15% but thanks to genetics and an obsession with abdominal work outs in my youth, still have a visible 6-pack.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I need to lay off of the fermented grape soda.

Cyclocross season starts soon. No way am I racing. Next year, possibly.

Relearning to use downtube shifters and toe clips/straps is my goal.

I have become what I always feared. A washed up Masters racer.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Try decline bench crunches with a dumbell for weight. Keep it slow and controlled. It's a simple exercise, but man is it lethal on your abs if you do it right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Planks. But I already have abs, they are just hidden behind a layer of fat. I'm dropping my calories so I can finally strip off the layer of fat so my abs can show.

Just do L-sit pullups. A few sets of 10 and you won't need to plank or crunch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Let's see his legs
View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#47]
As a broken and out of tune fiddle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP didn’t mention an ab workout

Work your core now or hurt it later
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP is on a non-sustainable, starvation diet with only 1,000 calories/day and working out.

You are actually hurting yourself.
View Quote

Only until I drop 5% body fat, if that. Then I hit maintenance for a while.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Heading into a cut for ice climbing season right now. 5'9 178lbs right now, generally would like to be around 160ish at the peak of ice season. Trying to push my grade this season. WI5+ would be ideal, but my god WI5 feels scary.

I want to experiment with lower weight heading into next spring's rock season, too. I didn't hit my goal of climbing 5.12 this spring, though we are heading into Sendtember and Rocktober, so there is still a bit of time.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top