Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@dbrad197

Feel free!
We don't live there, but we've spent 2-4 weeks a year there for about 10 years now. I can probably give you at least some useful info.
View Quote

Thank you brother!
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Am I really the first one in to tell you to have @Fluffythecat to send you Crabby and her shovel?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Stay in CA when it snows.
I would love to have a summer house in NH. But it would only be livable between May and Oct.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just contract with someone to do plow for a year or two until you can get a feel for what you really need.
View Quote

This is the right answer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My wife and I are most likely moving to the Jackson area, or within maybe a 40 mile radius. Would you mind if I DM’d you some questions at some point about living in the area?
View Quote
A 40 mile radius from Jackson kind of spans from Canada to the ocean.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Pick one.
Kubota BX2380, LX3310 Tractors with Front Mount Blowers!

Or hire it done:
PLOWING 4 FEET OF FRESH SNOW AND IT JUST KEEPS COMING! - Lake Tahoe - California - CAT 938M
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Growing up on a farm in N.IL, we would have to clear the drive pretty much no matter what to keep hauling corn to the ethanol plant. I had access to pretty much anything. Plows, blowers, loaders, etc.

By far I'd rather be in a 3/4 ton truck. Preferably with a v plade or wings but wasn't required.

Remote start, radio, rides nice, warms up quick. The blade trips if you hit something.

Tractors have a much higher probability of breaking stuff or itself.

Don't get me wrong, once in awhile a tractor was required during context events, but not often.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#8]
It will work fine if you install a plow on it.

Not every snow storm dumps feet

Key to any big storm is not waiting until it's over to plow your driveway
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s really sensible. I say he does the mig engine flame thrower thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just contract with someone to do plow for a year or two until you can get a feel for what you really need.

That’s really sensible. I say he does the mig engine flame thrower thing.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:10:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:35:39 AM EDT
[#11]
this?

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I came here expecting to find your solution for this problem.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#13]
A Wheel Horse, of course.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Solar powered heated driveway
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.

Figure out what you need before you spend.

Me personally, I would just use my snowblower.  Had a 300' driveway at my last place and it would only take me an hour to clear the drive and the pad around the house.

Note that with a contracted plow guy, you're sort of at their mercy for when they come.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#18]
If you are not going to be there for each storm then hire a plow guy.  Snow in NH can be all sorts and having a heavy wet snow that then freezes solid is common.  If you are not there to move it you then have an ice pack.

If you are there all the time then either a plow guy or a tractor with blower like I have.  If lots of side room, a 3/4 ton truck with a plow during the winter isn't a bad idea as you can use it for other things too.

Figure out which path most fits your current reality and adjust fire from there over time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At $10k, you could likely get seasonal snow plow service for the next 40 years and not have to worry about it.
View Quote

I don't think so...  we paid $40 a push when I was out of town for work.  In two weeks we needed 6 if I remember right.  This is for our ~100ft driveway.  I'm sure the OP would be paying more.

Anyone with real world costs to contract it all season out in the area for a driveway as big as OP?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Plow on the Sequia would work if you keep up on it each snow fall. If its a weekend home you will wont a tractor with loader and snow blower probably in the future. It can be a big pita if you don't keep up on it I frequently have 18 inches of snow fall on the driveway don't drive in even with a 4x4 or you eventually will get stuck. A tractor will help recovery and maintaining the property if nothing else. Jodan1776 has a nice setup!
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife and I are most likely moving to the Jackson area, or within maybe a 40 mile radius. Would you mind if I DM’d you some questions at some point about living in the area?

lulz

Good point.  I'm on the VT border north of Littleton and only 33 miles away.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I do 3 80-100 foot driveways and a 60 foot cul de sac at the end of my street. My 7 foot plow on the B2650 is the fastest to get the job done.
Snow blowers take to long! If it's 4 inches or 24 they only go 1 speed. If you have lot's of time then it doesn't matter. My neighbor has a front mount on his tractor and has me plow.
I only use my blower when the plow can't push no more or to cut down the banking.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We bought a second house in New Hampshire and are going to leave a 2002 Toyota Sequoia there. It has 4wd and a rear locking differential so It should do well I the snow with the right tires.

is this too much driveway for this SUV or should I look at a dedicated tractor of some kind to plow the driveway?

My budget is $10,000 for dedicated machine.

What do you recommend?
View Quote

$10k isn't much of a budget these days, but since that's what you're working with, I'm going to say "lawn tractor with a snow blower."
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Honda's largest tracked snowblower is what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Then again, I'm a Floridian....
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We bought a second house in New Hampshire and are going to leave a 2002 Toyota Sequoia there. It has 4wd and a rear locking differential so It should do well I the snow with the right tires.

is this too much driveway for this SUV or should I look at a dedicated tractor of some kind to plow the driveway?

My budget is $10,000 for dedicated machine.

What do you recommend?
View Quote

Buy a Honda HSS1332 ATD snow blower with a cab.  That’s all the machine you will need in central NH.  Ask me how I know.  Save your money for NFA things and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Arizona?
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Lol @ the very GD answers

You can buy plow trucks all day for half your budget.  You could get a decent tractor and plow for a few grand too.  A rotted old truck or old tractor with a plow is the way if you're on a budget.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Second home? Hire a plow guy and don't look back. If you aren't there full time, how are you going to get to the equipment to then turn around and plow it out? Pay a reliable guy to do it and be done.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lol @ the very GD answers

You can buy plow trucks all day for half your budget.  You could get a decent tractor and plow for a few grand too.  A rotted old truck or old tractor with a plow is the way if you're on a budget.
View Quote
I mean, I do hope OP gets the tank/jet engine thing.  

I'm unclear if OP intends to just leave the 2002 Sequoia plow truck there with a snow blade/snow tires/chains, and visit occasionally, live there all winter, or what.  

Pay for snow removal when you're going to be there this winter OP.   Don't pay for the entire season if you're only going to be there half of the time.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#32]
The best setup I've ever seen or used for semi-serious snow removal is at our fire station. It's a cabbed 50hp Massey Ferguson 4x4 tractor with snow tires all loaded with foam and has a 7' snow plow on the front and a 7' snow blower on the back. The plow trips if you hit something, so that saves the loader, but there really isn't much to hit unless you are being really careless. The blower chucks that snow a good 50-60 feet. It's actually a pleasure doing snow removal in it.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This ^^^ is actually the best approach.

150 yards is a looooooong driveway.  The first things I considered when buying a house in NH were:

1) Length of driveway

2) Steepness of driveway

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you recommend?

This ^^^ is actually the best approach.

150 yards is a looooooong driveway.  The first things I considered when buying a house in NH were:

1) Length of driveway

2) Steepness of driveway

I usually shovel mine the first couple months. I eventually start paying someone to plow

Id probably just shovel all winter if it wasn't for the hill. On the plus side it's a great sledding hill

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Jesus y’all are slipping badly.
There is only one way:
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I use a Kubota BX23S to clear a 750’ driveway. It’s fairly easy but if we got snow more regularly I’d buy a front mount snowblower.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#37]
This is what we used when I was a kid.  Then we said fuck that, this is cold and bought beater trucks.

Not my pic
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Buy a Honda HSS1332 ATD snow blower with a cab.  That's all the machine you will need in central NH.  Ask me how I know.  Save your money for NFA things and ammo.
View Quote
One thing about a snowblower is that you get full width blowing on the first pass.  On subsequent passes, you can only put about half the blower into the snow without having spillage out the "done" side.   A 32" snowblower will certainly do the job, especially if you don't have a lot of area to do, but it'll sure take a long time with narrow little passes, compared to something about 5' wide.  OTOH, the cost is a fraction of what a tractor-mounted blower in the 50-65" range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
My brother had one of these in upstate NY and liked it, driveway was a couple of hundred feet long.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/snowblowers/models/hss1332at-hss1332atd
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#40]
A shit ton of det cord and det cord accessories.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Jeremy Renner can give you a recommendation on a snowplow.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top