BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In the F-117s defense, they were restricted to the same egress if I recall and the enemy missile commander was a righteous stud as well.
View Quote

Zoltan Dani. Became a baker after the war.

In most Eastern Bloc armies, ADA is an elite arm.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We won't give real allies F22 but sure let's give some corrupt commies F35. You're a real patriot.
View Quote
He actually said right there not in the hands of Ukrainians.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. Read further
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Who’s flying the F-35s?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You’re assuming there wasn’t other issues in play that might have degraded that system.
View Quote

Like being operated by Syrians?

They have a long and not so great track record with air defense.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Like being operated by Syrians?
View Quote

That could be that simple. Or it was degraded intentionally
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope. Read further
View Quote
Ah I see. Comprehension I guess wasn't there. I'll blame it on the fog brain I have right now due to my sickness.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ah I see. Comprehension I guess wasn't there. I'll blame it on the fog brain I have right now due to my sickness.
View Quote

Sorry you’re sick. Hope you get better
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who’s flying the F-35s?
View Quote

Deleted. No idea why I thought that would be funny.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Real air superiority isn’t won by aircraft technology. It’s won by a host of synergies coming together before the battle, during the battle and after the battle. Shaping the battle space, ISR, suppression of enemy air defenses, etc. A high tech jet can only survive with tons of support from other units, maybe a high speed low altitude pass would work. A couple of times.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure they'd do very well, the problem is that there would be a lot of shortcomings in other areas due to so many resources being put into the F-35 program.

Ground based air defenses being a major one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A range of possibilities:

They could all get shot down if they go over heavily contested areas with lots of Sukhoi jets and S400 sites.  

If used appropriately, meaning at a distance flinging AMRAAM missiles to first suppress the Russian airforce then HARM missiles to take out S400 sites.....fairly well.

View Quote

Amelia can’t carry HARM, actually. AFAIK no plans to integrate it. F-35 would likely use SDB’s for SEAD.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#14]
It’s part of a System, which could jam, overwhelm and destroy Russian defenses in short order.   But you wouldn’t want to just throw a handful into the current mix, and expect great things.     The enemy always gets a vote.   And they are always learning.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes let’s hit bases inside Russia with F35. No mission creep there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If F35s are in Ukraine, why not? Do you plan on vietnam'ing the conflict?

Striking the source of the problems will save lives.

Quoted:

Fly_sovietnavy75 generally projects when he sees things he doesn't like.

Quoted:

Nope. Read further

You'll have to keep reading to page 3.

F16s are not f35s.

Where did I say F35s for Ukraine?

Please, be specific.

And one of the greatest failures was not opening up the f22 line for international orders to keep it going. Had we done so the line could have still been producing planes by the time we realized "Hey, we might need more".
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That could be that simple. Or it was degraded intentionally
View Quote

Or both most likely.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://blogmedia.wideners.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/DSC5231-Web.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsRnahH6-5JBpXxPSXaiPiCrWvFKP6uvKEVw&usqp=CAU

F16s are not f35s.

Please, be specific.

And one of the greatest failures was not opening up the f22 line for international orders to keep it going. Had we done so the line could have still been producing planes by the time we realized "Hey, we might need more".
View Quote

You sure do have a habit of labeling people who disagrees with you as Russian agents or traitors. Which is ironic given you intentionally replaced an American flag with a Ukrainian flag in your profile. It’s pretty gross for an AD Marine to do that. I hope you aren’t in a leadership position.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Too many variables to consider before you even scratch the surface on actual 5th gen capes.  Who is flying them? Who is providing planning info? How many are available? What restrictions (ROE) are there?

How successful was the F-117 in Kosovo?  Low observable is not invisible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t know much about fighter technology so please educate me.  Since it’s a 5th Gen fighter, as Maverick would say, does that mean that missiles couldn’t even lock onto them?  So, Fat Amy would basically have free reign over any battle space?

Too many variables to consider before you even scratch the surface on actual 5th gen capes.  Who is flying them? Who is providing planning info? How many are available? What restrictions (ROE) are there?

How successful was the F-117 in Kosovo?  Low observable is not invisible.

that fuckin plane flew the same damn route at the same damn time every run because fuck NATO

thats how they got it

If we had some F35s out there they would push Russia's shit in
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You sure do have a habit of labeling people who disagrees with you as Russian agents or traitors. Which is ironic given you intentionally replaced an American flag with a Ukrainian flag in your profile. It’s pretty gross for an AD Marine to do that. I hope you aren’t in a leadership position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://blogmedia.wideners.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/DSC5231-Web.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsRnahH6-5JBpXxPSXaiPiCrWvFKP6uvKEVw&usqp=CAU

F16s are not f35s.

Please, be specific.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you read to page 3 yet to find where I support giving the "f35 to commies"?

I am in a leadership billet.

But, by the way, not a Marine anymore. Got out with the Obama purges in 2015. Switched branches

If I say I don't support Biden, but support his lack of enforcement on the southern border, support his gun control agenda, and support tax cuts...am I really a "not biden" guy and a conservative?

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

So how much deployed time do you have OCONUS?

I don't think you're the guy to cast such aspersions.

Let's get a mod to do a call in the field, shall we?

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's not an AD Marine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He's not an AD Marine.
View Quote

I forgot he’s Guard.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Have you read to page 3 yet to find where I support giving the "f35 to commies"?

I am in a leadership billet.

But, by the way, not a Marine anymore. Got out with the Obama purges in 2015. Switched branches

If I say I don't support Biden, but support his lack of enforcement on the southern border, support his gun control agenda, and support tax cuts...am I really a "not biden" guy and a conservative?

View Quote

I thought once a Marine, always a Marine? You get better and better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Call a mod. Or @ them.

Quoted:

I thought once a Marine, always a Marine? You get better and better.

Always a Marine but not always AD Marine.

Sometimes the best soldier for the job..is a Marine

Have you figured out where the call for free f35s to Ukraine is? Should be easy to find
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Call a mod. Or @ them.

Always a Marine but not always AD Marine.

Sometimes the best soldier for the job..is a Marine

Have you figured out where the call for free f35s to Ukraine is? Should be easy to find
View Quote

I really hope you don’t feed your junior enlisted the bullshit you spew here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I really hope you don’t feed your junior enlisted the bullshit you spew here.
View Quote

I generally bring them MREs, Monsters, Little Ceasar's pizza, and working parties

I did get legendary status the one time I borrowed a hmmwv and went to the PX and got everyone stuff off their list, so I'm pretty sure they like ol' Sa'rgent fadedsun
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#28]
After watching that Mig31 crash in Murmansk I believe that given enough time, the mighty Russian AF can self-destruct on its own.

Wait for them to dust off the Polikarpov I-16 Ratas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
After watching that Mig31 crash in Murmansk I believe that given enough time, the mighty Russian AF can self-destruct on its own.

Wait for them to dust off the Polikarpov I-16 Ratas.
View Quote

It's a case of writing big checks the maintenance boys and air frames can't cash.

Those 31s are some really, really cool planes.

Just like the original Hornets the USMC is phasing out they both have the same problem: Ridden hard and put away wet.

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I generally bring them MREs, Monsters, Little Ceasar's pizza, and working parties

I did get legendary status the one time I borrowed a hmmwv and went to the PX and got everyone stuff off their list, so I'm pretty sure they like ol' Sa'rgent fadedsun
View Quote

Green Monster no doubt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's a case of writing big checks the maintenance boys and air frames can't cash.

Those 31s are some really, really cool planes.

Just like the original Hornets the USMC is phasing out they both have the same problem: Ridden hard and put away wet.

View Quote

At the Reno Air Races you see all kinds of wacky, high maintenance toys. But the hardest working mechanics I ever saw were the guys making sure that the Harrier demo was going to work. It looked like they were doing everything short of sacrificing a chicken to the machine spirit.

And that was many years ago. I shudder to think how much work it takes to keep those things in the air these days.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Green Monster no doubt.
View Quote

Yes. Those were all the jam when I first started. It was a ritual.

I remember trying them and almost gagging. It's like electrified horse piss stirred with antifreeze.

I'm a man of quality and breeding so I prefer the fruity tropical punch flavored ones
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

At the Reno Air Races you see all kinds of wacky, high maintenance toys. But the hardest working mechanics I ever saw were the guys making sure that the Harrier demo was going to work. It looked like they were doing everything short of sacrificing a chicken to the machine spirit.

And that was many years ago. I shudder to think how much work it takes to keep those things in the air these days.
View Quote

Owned by the retired Marine aviator/real estate investor guy?

My FIL tried to fly those but he ended up going to c130s instead.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes. Those were all the jam when I first started. It was a ritual.

I remember trying them and almost gagging. It's like electrified horse piss stirred with antifreeze.

I'm a man of quality and breeding so I prefer the fruity tropical punch flavored ones
View Quote

No surprise.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Owned by the retired Marine aviator/real estate investor guy?

My FIL tried to fly those but he ended up going to c130s instead.
View Quote

These were standard issue USMC Harriers, not privately owned.

I would have really liked to have seen an F-14 demo. I did get to see a B-1 flying last weekend. Pulled into the parking lot at the show just as it was taking off. “Is THIS what you came here for!?”
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Israel bombed Syria unopposed using them and Syria had S400s. Lol
View Quote

There was heavy coordination with Russia and/or by proxy Syria, whoever was actually running the air defenses. Obviously only a few people probably know the full extent of the cooperation. There was a miscom with an F16I getting shot down, but I don't think any air defense systems were ever taken out.

Not to muddy the thread, but that's a big reason why Israel doesn't want to touch the UA v RU situation. Their immediate concern is taking out existential threats, and UA doesn't help them one way or another, while having a basic carte blanche in Syria does.

@Harlikwin @flynavy75 (since you both were responding to that same post).
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#37]
F-35B's are already deployed in masses.  all those hovering vertical vids of them dropping pocket grenades in trenches are done by US F-35's
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#38]

These threads always end up like this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#39]
would destroy any Russian air or ground targets
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Launchers are a legitimate target - they're firing across a border.

It would be Ukraine doing the shooting, not the US. We are talking about what the aircraft could do with good pilots, not who the pilots are. Handicapping Ukraine to targets inside their borders is stupid - this is what you would do if you want to prolong the war, not end it.

And nobody is giving the 35 to Ukraine, or plans to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Aviation Week Answer:

The F-35 will be completely mission ineffective against 8th gen Sukhoi fighters.  We read the ROSOBORONEXPORT sales brouchure and are 300% convinced that the vaporware Neosov threat will completely invalidate any Western fighter and that (Pierre Sprey authoring) only F-16's setup for daylight ops will solve the problem.  It's Aviation Week's estimation that the F-35 will be the next Vought Cutlass!

Real World:
F-35 would embarass the VVS in 12 hours.  There would probably be multiple Ace-in-a-days. The myth of Russian air power would be crushed in multiple smouldering wreckage piles as exposed-rivet/inlet "5th Gen" NeoSov S$%t falls to a AIM-120 bukkake they didn't see until it was too late.
View Quote
You had me at "AIM-120 bukkake".
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#42]
The F35 is mostly a SEAD platform.  I'll leave it at that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That scene left me thinking WTF?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With US pilots that 40 mile convoy and everything  at the staging area would have never left Russian. And just about everyone there would be dead.

I'm just here to comment on your avatar.   That's a rather obscure screenshot but I get it.    I liked that movie but as a young kid watching it the first time that was quite the surprising moment.

That scene left me thinking WTF?

I had that movie poster as a kid
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm sure we'll be finding out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top