Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I leave em both be. Let nature sort itself out.

Watching Blue Jay's protect fledglings with multiple over watch shifts is cool.
View Quote

I would just like to mention blue jays are assholes…..
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Well…. it certainly “sounds” like it does…

Here’s Wiki’s explanation….  
View Quote
Sounds like it does?

A supersonic hummingbird would knock you off your ass.  Not from the impulse of the shock wave, but certainly by your reaction to it.  Think about the sound of a bullet passing overhead while sitting in target pits.  And a hummingbird is way bigger than that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad I’m not the only one fascinated by them.

Last year, my wife and I were walking on the sidewalk and found two baby hummingbirds that had fallen out of their nest on a windy day. We put them in a shoebox but soon found out that they needed to eat really frequently. My wife found an empty Starbucks cup, filled it with grass, lashed it to the tree branch above where we found the baby hummingbirds, and put the birds inside. Sure enough, mother hummingbird came around a couple minutes later and began feeding them. We came back the next day and they were still in the cup.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They even have a cool chirp
View Quote

Yeah, they seem to have an attitude when they chirp
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live in central Wa. state; what is the best feeder and feed to buy?
 Thank you.
View Quote

something with lots of red, just boil 4 parts water to 1 part sugar.......no dyes, dyes are not good for them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They don't sit for long.  Fuckers burn some energy that's for sure.
View Quote

LOL, I should have said "I would sit." Yeah, I haven't seen one sit for very long. When they do, they go over to a big oak tree that is very close by, I suppose they like the cover.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I waited patiently to try and catch one in flight but the rain this morning has them a little less active, so this is what you get.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, they are fun to watch.
My feeder not only attracts Hummingbirds, but it also seems to attract Ladderback Woodpeckers...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Hummingbird_jpg-2877408.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Ladderback_2022-02-26_0011_jpg-2877409.JPG
View Quote

Mine as well. In fact I’ve had to reinforce the feeder on the hook with wire because they keep getting knocked and fall off because of the birds. Fortunately they’ve fallen into the soft landscaping and don’t break.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#9]
We get two different migration flights thru here,  Ruby Throats early in the year and the fall and black chins  year round.  There can be hundreds at a time.

The feeder or food does not have to be red  by the way, we get just as many at the yellow and purple  feeders as we do the red ones.

It helps to have a yard full of Esperanza and various other trumpet style plants.  They pretty much set up a permanent home.

When I gather the feeders for cleaning/refill they'll follow me to the door and wait till I come back out with a new feeder. The sugar water never lasts long enough to get old.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeap I add a bit of Potassium Sorbate to stop the liquid fermenting and going cloudy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only feed them white sugar.  1 part sugar to 4 parts water.  Boil to dissolve the sugar.

Yeap I add a bit of Potassium Sorbate to stop the liquid fermenting and going cloudy.

@Skydivesnake. I learned something new. Thanks. I’m going to start using this. What’s the mix ratio for a regular sized feeder? Teaspoon?

This is a great thread. Both my feeders are empty. Mixing up some fresh nectar while i peruse the comments.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Not my thread, but it’s a classic hummingbird tale..

UGH!!! HUMMINGBIRD VIOLATED MY MANHOOD!!! UPDATE: Now With 0% Diabeetus!

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Skydivesnake. I learned something new. Thanks. I’m going to start using this. What’s the mix ratio for a regular sized feeder? Teaspoon?

This is a great thread. Both my feeders are empty. Mixing up some fresh nectar while i peruse the comments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only feed them white sugar.  1 part sugar to 4 parts water.  Boil to dissolve the sugar.

@RustyKnifeUSMC
I use 2grams per 2 litres of solution, which I guess is about 1/4 teaspoon a quart.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like it does?

A supersonic hummingbird would knock you off your ass.  Not from the impulse of the shock wave, but certainly by your reaction to it.  Think about the sound of a bullet passing overhead while sitting in target pits.  And a hummingbird is way bigger than that.
View Quote

Thanks, I learn something new every day….Never thought of that….
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like it does?

I bet a bullet weighs much more than a humming bird.

Cool that your hummers don’t mind being around you. Mine are VERY skittish. If more my hand a few inches they’re gone from the feeder 10 feet away.

Oh, and I call it helicopter wars. Because that’s what it looks like.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@RustyKnifeUSMC
I use 2grams per 2 litres of solution, which I guess is about 1/4 teaspoon a quart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@RustyKnifeUSMC

How do you know that this isn't bad for the birds?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice to see this thread resurrected .  Spent an hour this evening entertained by my little friends.  
Interesting fact, they can beat their wings 20 to 200 times a second and fly up to 60mph.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice to see this thread resurrected .  Spent an hour this evening entertained by my little friends.  
Interesting fact, they can beat their wings 20 to 200 times a second and fly up to 60mph.
View Quote

https://youtube.com/shorts/GagyI5lFoAk?feature=share
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Sitting on my back porch drinking a beer, it's a 100+ here.  There is a hummingbird guard that sits up on a branch in the tree
and as soon as another bird approaches the feeder,  he/she swoops down, chases it away and returns to the guard tower.  Funny as fuck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Also this guy likes watching them even more than I do

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]
As soon as these plants start to bud its a humming bird thunder dome death match all day.

I don't know what it is but these plants just set these guys off.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Seen one chasing a bug.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As soon as these plants start to bud its a humming bird thunder dome death match all day.

I don't know what it is but these plants just set these guys off.

https://i.imgur.com/2I0SO5g.jpeg
View Quote

We now know what the feeders were emulated after.  Those flowers are identical to the
plastic ones on feeders.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Was able to capture a hummingbird fight in slowmo
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried putting out the Perky Pet or whatever hummingbird food, and the hummingbirds ignored it. This year tried again with 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup filtered water, and they're all over it. A Broad Tailed found it first, but was bullied off by 2-3 Anna's Hummingbirds. A Rufus will come around, but will ignore the hummingbird feeder if any real flowers are blooming in the yard
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#27]
My buddies are back. They had to wait an entire hour for me to mow the grass before they could come back to the feeder.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#28]
What make/model hummingbird is this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

the two in the first picture are trying to hug eachother. such friendly birds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's Ze Frank's video on the hummingbird. Always worth a watch.

Cue it up to about 8:54 for section about the mating dives.

True Facts: The Hummingbird Warrior

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Had 3 feeders going in Texas. Was like O'Hare or LaGuardia. Not unusual to have a dozen or more at the same time. Funny watching one chase another one away while 3 more would come in to feed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I enjoy the shit out of watching those little fuckers. I wish mine didn’t fight so damn much. I have more “food” for them
In my fridge than they could possibly imagine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I enjoy the shit out of watching those little fuckers. I wish mine didn’t fight so damn much. I have more “food” for them
View Quote

They’re territorial buggers. Multiple feeders spaced apart can help.

Then again I like the helicopter wars. May the best copter win. There can be only one.

You coming to MY feeder?  Oh hell naw!  It’s on!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My neighbor had one in his garage he couldn't coax out a week or 2 ago and he called me over to help.  He ended up so tired he was hanging upside down from the garage opener hardware.   I cupped my hands around him and he let me carry him outside where he immediately flew to the top of the nearest oak tree to rest.  That to me was a very cool opportunity.   I hope he hangs around a while.

A pic from a few years ago of the most territorial one we had that year.  

DSC_7709tightcrop by Flcrutch, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I bet a bullet weighs much more than a humming bird.

Cool that your hummers don’t mind being around you. Mine are VERY skittish. If more my hand a few inches they’re gone from the feeder 10 feet away.

Oh, and I call it helicopter wars. Because that’s what it looks like.
View Quote

My in-laws have a couple feeders at their cottage on the lake.  Occasionally the birds will come up and feed but it's the same thing, if you move at all they fly off immediately.

I'm guessing the guys that get the cool pictures either have a really long lens or the birds have seen enough humans that it doesn't bother them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I love the hummingbirds that hang around my feeders.
There's one that will sometimes perch on my shoulder while I'm watering down my trees.
The coolest creatures in back yard are these guys.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/hummingbird-moth-AdobeStock_271173842-944x630.jpeg
View Quote
Death to these things, preferably before they reproduce.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool thread
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Youtube.com/@livehummingbirds
instagram.com/hummingbirdssky

the wifes hobby
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My neighbor had one in his garage he couldn't coax out a week or 2 ago and he called me over to help.  He ended up so tired he was hanging upside down from the garage opener hardware.   I cupped my hands around him and he let me carry him outside where he immediately flew to the top of the nearest oak tree to rest.  That to me was a very cool opportunity.   I hope he hangs around a while.

A pic from a few years ago of the most territorial one we had that year.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49852821141_af9a3f9ff4_h.jpgDSC_7709tightcrop by Flcrutch, on Flickr" target="_blank">https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49852821141_af9a3f9ff4_h.jpgDSC_7709tightcrop by Flcrutch, on Flickr
View Quote

Awesome photo.  

In the summer ours are skittish and won’t get too close.  Winter time however, they will mob me the moment I walk out the door with a refilled feeder, and start feeding off it while I am trying to walk with it…. Then they will guard it closely…basically sitting on top of it if they can.  The colder it gets, the more ornery they get to each other, and the less they care about people.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#40]
They're the military's drones too.

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Then again I like the helicopter wars. May the best copter win. There can be only one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per @John-In-Austin, and he's absolutely right, in E Texas, you need to distinguish between Ruby-Throated "Die!Die!DIEIFUCKINGHATEYOU!!!  Starve!!!, and Black-chinned.  I've video of swarms of 8 patiently waiting their turn on our 4 spout feeder (with 5 birds on it.  The flowers will, ahem, accommodate two shafts....)

Ruby's, and I understand Rufous's are worse, don't do that as much.

We had a dying basil plant, with woody stem, immediately below our feeder.  Ruby-throat male perched on it, like a Patriot battery, to absolutely ruin the day of any other bird---including females!!!---that tried to feed.

Live action Joust! the video game.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#42]
My parents used to keep several feeders up but stopped after dad retired. I remember they had swarms of the little guys.

I put my first one up this year, I only have three or four birds and they absolutely will not share it. Do they ever stop fighting over it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

During mating season, they actually fly up extremely high, then, swoop straight down to the ground, breaking the sound barrier, with a high pitch chirp.  Amazing to watch.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif

No shit I believe the peregrine is the fastest bird in a dive and nowhere near the speed of sound.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#44]
One hovered in front of my deck in late June, I thought it was cool, so I bought a feeder. He now comes regularly, and perches in a tree about 20 feet away. Whenever another comes by he flys up and runs them off.

I sit about 5 feet away and watch them all the time. Sometimes they zip right over my head dog fighting.

Last week I was talking to a colleague on the phone and walked out on the deck. I left the sliding door wide open because it was cool out. Sat down and was watching him at the feeder. Next thing I know another one shows up and it’s game on. But instead of flying off the little fucker flew right into my dining room. Hovered for a second and then wriggled in between the blinds trying to get out the closed window.

I raised the blinds and stuck my hand under him. He landed on my hand but then when I moved he flew off again. Took me three tries, but by that time he just sat there on my hand with his beak open panting. Must have been tired. I waited a minute and slowly walked to the door. He saw the feeder and  flew to it. I tried to get a picture but couldn’t open the camera on my phone with my left hand… lol
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They are great fun, aggressive too. My bottle brush tree is dying, shame because they loved it and it was a great place to sit.

It’s funny when the tough ones will square off against you.
View Quote

My bottle brush isn't consistent. I have a firebush that is!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#46]
We've got a couple feeders off the back porch. They're aggressive as heck towards each other. Fun to watch.

Strangely I've never heard one hum.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#47]
You live near Tahlequah?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Hummingbirds are awesome.  Dad used to sit motionless in the backyard and feed them while holding the feeder. He taught me and my siblings the technique, and we had them sitting on our fingers while feeding.  They generate an incredible amount of heat!

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#50]
This camera work is incredible.

See Hummingbirds Fly, Shake, Drink in Amazing Slow Motion | National Geographic
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top