BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’ll reiterate as a land owner myself...I do not feel I’m owed anything by anyone. I’ve spent thousands of my own dollars helping a few stand up guys kill hundreds of yotes on their ranches to preserve both their cattle and their antelope herds. But a growing problem of many ranchers in TX (note I didn’t say ALL in my original post) is their desire to make money off of everything...regardless of whether it is folks dedicating time/resources/money to help them out or not. I get it....capitalism...money...  But a few short years ago all we heard about was the exploding hog population and the impending doom. Ranchers were paying folks to come with helicopters to shoot hogs on their land. Then they realized the profit potential, and then people started paying thousands of dollars to do so. Again...good on the land owners in the area. I don’t fault them. But when the hog population explodes and you can’t get enough people to pay you to come take care of your rodent problem, don’t resort to vague and shady tactics to get people onto your land.

I let folks shoot groundhogs on my place so the guy I lease to doesn’t break wagon axles when he is cutting corn. I don’t charge them to take care of my problems. It’s a mutually benificial relationship. The mentality is VERY different in TX than AZ and NM. Seems like many ranchers don’t want anything to do with you unless they can make a buck off of you, even if you’re willing to spend your money and time to help them. Hence the greedy comment.
View Quote
What people don’t understand is that they aren’t going to slow the hogs down enough to matter unless they hunt every single night, and for hours on end. And even then you better be using thermal and NV. You showing up two weekends a month to come kill 6-8 hogs isn’t going to amount to shit unfortunately. We hunt some places hard. 3-4 nights a week with thermals. It doesn’t make a bit of difference in the damage they do. They just change up their tactics and come out at different times trying to be less predictable, which makes out hunting less effective.

What you call a rancher being greedy is him trying to salavage what little bit of money he can out of the hundreds of thousands he’s going to lose to them regardless of how useful you think you’ll be. We’ve lost over a quarter million dollars to hogs in less than 2 weeks. Think about that! Your $200-300 is the least of our worries. It does give you some financial commitment to at least pretend to care about our place. We’ve had gates left open with cattle getting out, cattle shot, roads tore up, fences driven through, and poaching. When you have a little investment you’ll treat things better than if it’s free.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not me, but my sister and her son.

About two years ago, my sister and my nephew went to a paid dove hunt on opening day somewhere in North Mississippi.

Everything was going good and all of a sudden Fed game wardens descended on the place, seizing firearms.  Turns out that the feds said that the owners of the field had baited the field too soon before opening day.

My sister was actually handcuffed because she had 3 doves that she didn't want to keep up with and put in her son's bag.  She told the gamewarden (when asked) that her birds were in her son's bag.  They told her that she was "comingling birds.  Thing is, even with the comingling, the bag did not enough birds it it at that time to reach bag limit for ONE person, let alone the two of them.

This went on for about 3 hours.  My sister was lectured and ended up not being charged with anything.  However, she and my son spent 3 hours of a paid hunt ruined sitting in a field.

I don't know if the land owners were in the wrong or right, but I know that we'll never be back on that hunt!
View Quote
The FEDs are the law enforcement for dove hunting in MS???
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The FEDs are the law enforcement for dove hunting in MS???
View Quote
In the US.

https://www.fws.gov/le/dove-hunting-and-baiting.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’m about to have one tomorrow.

Somebody put up a really nice metal blind on my rice field...brushed it...fields flooded.

Nobody has leased it from me...for hunting rights

I’m thinking it’s going to be interesting when I’m sitting there this weekend and hunters show up...likely having paid the guy who leases farming rights, but whose contract specifically states NO HUNTING and no subleases ever...

Splainin to do....
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Two co-workers spent thousands of dollars on a guided wilderness bow hunting trip for Elk.....I'm talking pack animals and the whole ten yards. Years in the making.

One of them thought it would be a great idea to drink out of one of the streams on the way to camp.

By the time they set-up camp the guy that drank from the stream was very ill. They stayed over-night then packed-up and took sick guy out and he spent 10 days in the hospital. Whatever it was damn near killed him.

End of hunt.
View Quote
Beaver fever, aka giardia.
Probably.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Beaver fever, aka giardia.
Probably.
View Quote
Never had it (thank God), but probably should have.  Thankfully those mountain streams in MT were clean.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Never had it (thank God), but probably should have.  Thankfully those mountain streams in MT were clean.
View Quote
If you absolutely have to drink unprocessed water, make sure it's not taken from a still pool. Smart people use the swiftest running water. Not perfect, but makes it a better chance.
My mom got it once, but from a Chinese restaurant. Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you absolutely have to drink unprocessed water, make sure it's not taken from a still pool. Smart people use the swiftest running water. Not perfect, but makes it a better chance.
My mom got it once, but from a Chinese restaurant. Go figure.
View Quote
That's exactly what I did.  We were invited for a 4 day black bear hunt by a family friend who had a vacation home there.  We were going to ride pack horses up to a higher elevation that had a mountain lake.  Never knew the family friend as much of an outdoorsman but i was young and dumb so my dad and I figured he knew what he was doing.  Terrible assumption.  Was told there would be enough horses to lug gear up the mountain so we could pack heavy.  Get to the trailhead to meet the horse guy...
Short 3 horses.  I carried an ungodly heavy pack 15 miles up a mountain.  Thankfully I was a youngster that played, and was in football shape so I was able to handle the climb fairly well.  On the way up one of the horses stepped on a ground hive of wasps unleashing lots of pissed off flying assholes that stung the shit out of the horses and me.  Horses went everywhere and I ended up getting popped a dozen times in the face and neck.  Oh well, kept going.  Was told to expect Michigan type early October weather.  Nope.  Rain and snow the ENTIRE time.  Temps well below freezing at night.  All gear soaked.  Threw a few Kmart type tents (read as cheap garbage) that we brought and tried to make the best of it.  Family friend starts trying to make a fire with a waterlogged green log with his nifty new fire starting paste...in a downpour.  That's when it really set home to 16 year old me that we're kind of screwed and hypothermia is a very real possibility.  My Dad and I took over fire duty and got a reasonable fire going, considering the conditions.

Not one guy out all six of us really knew what the hell we were doing in regards to camping in those conditions, let alone bear hunting.  Needless to say, not one of us even saw a bear.  Spent more time tending to the fire than hunting.

I learned a lot from that trip.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I learned a lot from that trip.
View Quote
Ouch. Yeah, that's one way to learn a lesson you'll never forget.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm about to have one tomorrow.
Somebody put up a really nice metal blind on my rice field...brushed it...fields flooded.
Nobody has leased it from me...for hunting rights
I'm thinking it's going to be interesting when I'm sitting there this weekend and hunters show up...likely having paid the guy who leases farming rights, but whose contract specifically states NO HUNTING and no subleases ever...
Splainin to do....
https://i.imgur.com/jg0Apj1.gif
it's been a couple days... what happened?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]
one more bumparoo.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top