Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You're not supposed to use deadly force to defend chattle, but an argument may be made that it's life or death if you don't have it.  Kinda like horse thief in the old days.  No horse, no work equals no money and you die.  That's why horse thieves were hung.

I don't want to be the one to be tried on that though.

None of this is legal advice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hypothetical- it's hour 49 of no power. It hasn't been above freezing in 3 days. You live in a warm gulf coast climate, so obviously neither your house nor any public infrastructure is handling it well. You have a 1 year old at home you're struggling to keep warm by using the generator to heat your house.

You live in a suburban neighborhood that is at the edge of one of the largest metropolitan areas in North America.

It's 1am. Your generator goes off. You walk outside and see two people disconnecting it with hand tools. It isn't clear if they're armed or not, other than the tools they brought. You call 911 but due to extended power outages there is no cell service so you can't get through.

View Quote

Disparity of numbers with weapons

"DROP THE WEAPON, DROP THE WEAPON" while taking a step or two back.
Mozambique drill x 2

Thieves are a virus, especially in a crisis.

To a normal person if you wave a gun at them they think "oh shit time to go"
To a thief they think "We should come back later and get his generator AND his gun"

when the chips are down and your family is at risk you have to solve the problem permanently
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread reminds me.

A friend of mine lives in a large metropolitan area and just invested 3k in honda generators.

I told him he better build a cage around it and / or get some batteries so he only has to run it during the day while supervised.

He says he will get around to it...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Generator theft is a thing. My electrician told me a story of going out on a call for generator running but no power. He checked out a shed where the generator was supposed to be and found the guy’s lawnmower running and no generator. It had been stolen and the thieves started the lawnmower as cover. Homeowner never went outside to check the genny for themselves...
View Quote

Damn, pretty smart.

Fuck thieves but maybe that homeowner learned something about situational awareness
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, what is your question?  I don't see a single question mark in your post.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hypothetical- it's hour 49 of no power. It hasn't been above freezing in 3 days. You live in a warm gulf coast climate, so obviously neither your house nor any public infrastructure is handling it well. You have a 1 year old at home you're struggling to keep warm by using the generator to heat your house.

You live in a suburban neighborhood that is at the edge of one of the largest metropolitan areas in North America.

It's 1am. Your generator goes off. You walk outside and see two people disconnecting it with hand tools. It isn't clear if they're armed or not, other than the tools they brought. You call 911 but due to extended power outages there is no cell service so you can't get through.

View Quote
SSS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.  Reload.
View Quote

Needs moar D-60
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
They'd be dead as last year's leaves.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the question?    They would be dead.   Is Texas not under a state of emergency?   Looters shot on sight.    Done.   Your life and your kids life is threatened, enough justification right there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s Mischeif at night in the state of Texas shoot them and let them lie it’s cold and frozen out so they’ll be plenty of time for the cops to get there before the body starts to decay. Texas dude come on
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The color of the thieves would get me Zim Zammed.
View Quote

Not in Texas.

Even Joe Horn, in Harris County, was no-billed.

And he did everything wrong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I respect all the limitations put on my use of lethal force, at my age, "life in prison" isn't the deterrent you think it is....
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is gonna suck that the ground is froze......
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those 2 men thought that generator was worth more than there own life.
View Quote
This.
It's all about perspective and sadly spin.  They were willing to steal that generator thereby depriving my wife of her CPAP, and my family of heat, thereby risking our deaths........  In other words, FUCK THEM.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FNY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now run this scenario in a state like NY.
FNY.
This, who other than a penguin would live in such a shithole.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

So let me get this straight: there are two people on my property, at night, putting my family’s lives in danger and stealing my shit?

There is no way to contact law enforcement and there is no reasonable expectation of police response even if there was?

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#17]
If they're disconnecting with hand tools leads me to believe it's a whole house permanent install. That's pretty brazen...

They wouldn't be leaving with it en tow that's for damned sure.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's another hypothetical:

You shoot them. Police demand you turn in the firearm used for "ballistic tests". Do you give it to them, given the extreme cost and difficulty in acquiring a replacement firearm now?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Taking actions that are endangering my family.

Tools can be weapons too.

Since we are adding cinema quotes.  I bury you in the hills and tell the sheriff a month or two later and he understands.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You shoot them. Police demand you turn in the firearm used for "ballistic tests". Do you give it to them, given the extreme cost and difficulty in acquiring a replacement firearm now?
View Quote
Sure, I have plenty of Glocks and ARs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Give them the generator, pay restitution for their ancestors not being fleet of foot in Africa, pay them a living wage of $15 bucks an hour, free college, and free phone.  Hope the judge only gives you time served and a 5 year probation for your nasty thoughts of using your illegal firearm to eliminate these 2 fine upstanding young men who obviously came from the Dindo-Nunen tribe...
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#23]
You didn't invite them in for coffee and a chat? That's raysis

It's sad that the legal system is in a state where you could end up getting burned in the run around from what sounds like a clean shoot.

It's below freezing, spray them with the hose and let nature fix it
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't, they're probably banned becuase of pollution or something.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's below freezing, spray them with the hose and let nature fix it
View Quote

Assuming the outside pipes haven't frozen up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would announce my presence and make it clear I was armed and have no desire to lose my generator or life... the choice is theirs how it goes from there.

I honestly don't want to think about killing anyone over a generator for the rest of my days.
View Quote

Would not bother me one bit.  Most counties in West Texas the DA would not even present it to the grand jury.  The only problem I see is the massive paperwork that some poor bastard on night shift is going to have to do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a 1 year old I'm trying to keep warm?

In that situation you bet yer ass I'm armed so the generator's not leaving as long as I'm drawing breath.

If they choose to debate that fact....oh well.

Fuckin thieves anyway.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who on this board only owns one gun?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Even good people can do bad things when desperate. So I secure any generator during use. But I also believe in backups. I keep 4 generators prepped and ready to go. The loss of a single unit will not put me in the dark.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
First, I'd acknowledge the ground I stood on was indigenous/aboriginal/first nations land in the past and thank them, without giving the land back.

Second, I'd check my privilege and technological appropriation as I benefited from the un-recompensed inventor of the generator (most likely a non-binary POC slave forced to give zer master credit).

Third, I'd question my decision to purchase a generator made by Chinese labor, under poor working conditions and long hours. Even though they are already communist, I'd encourage their efforts to become even more communist and unite with the workers of the world in a huge labor union that would ensure a 15 Kopek per hour minimum wage.

Fourth, darn, the generator is gone! I'd protest the Police and criminal justice system for using patriarchy to selectively enforce laws created by a dominance hierarchy, instead of just giving everyone free generators, or forgiving generator loans.
View Quote

Yep, I’m not clever or educated enough to write what you wrote, but I agree wholeheartedly. I would NEVER use icky guns or stabby, scary knives to hurt anyone who wanted to kill me. I’d just try to talk to them and find out where society wronged them, then call my congress-person and ask for reparations for them. Assuming I survive, of course...
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#31]
When I lived in NH two generator thieves got shot when we had a weeklong power outage. Homeowner wasn’t arrested, but NH is a notoriously gun friendly state.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Why the fork would it not be chained down too a fence post or other solidly placed object?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh is this when we are supposed to call a counselor instead of the police???

DROP THE WEAPON NOW!!!!pew pew pew pew pew (its suppressed)

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Elvis is your dad?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
no thats me
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol

who has 1?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why the fork would it not be chained down too a fence post or other solidly placed object?
View Quote

A bolt cutter is a hand tool that will make short work of most chains.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I invested good money in NODs, LAMs, thermal, suppressors, and shovels for a reason.

That reason doesn't involve me sitting around with my thumb up my ass while vermin steal my property.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So let me get this straight: there are two people on my property, at night, putting my family's lives in danger and stealing my shit?

There is no way to contact law enforcement and there is no reasonable expectation of police response even if there was?

https://img.ifunny.co/images/4f6e5773616217cb9c1f9d5a448ee2052718c2310715865969abf3fc30a39114_1.jpg
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top