User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rust and patina are two different things.

Rust is actually destroying the metal itself and pitting it. Making it weaker.

Patina is more a surface discoloration.

Rust is destroying the metal, patina is not.

Rust = neglect
Patina = well loved

Now fake patina is lame. Just like buying pre ripped jeans.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's not so much patina as it is wear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Real patina is the result of age and can't be replicated well. Artificial aging can be attempted but it's never quite the same.

https://www.snipercountry.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/The-4-Best-AR-15-Carry-Handles.jpg

https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_5589/gi_100885564/DPMS-Iraqi-Contractor-Rifles-Bring-Back_100885564_5589_571B25A3AE64C6A9.JPG

Which one looks more interesting, new or an Iraq war contractor bring back.

Sure you can throw the new one down the driveway a few times, but it'll never quite look right if you're trying to replicate the patina that comes from actual use.

Wear is patina.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get the rotary polisher out and clean op that mess

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/211087/1200px-Ancient_Greek_helmets-2100505.jpg
View Quote

Just scrap em and make new ones, even chrome em, would look good
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I drive a "patina" truck. Its wear is all honest to goodness use. I purposefully bought the roughest running and driving FJ40 I could find.  I actually wanted to keep using it as intended, and not some coffee grabbing status symbol.

It was a GA farm truck for years, and it now sports a 5.3 LS and is my DD. Love it every day honestly. I intend to do a full resto at some point, but I honestly beat the snot out of it on the weekends and it just keeps on ticking. I leave the "patina" because I've only been adding to it and I don't care to restore it just to not be able to use it.

I admit I'm probably the minority in that regard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227817/FB_IMG_1632325894865_jpg-2100503.JPG
View Quote

Yep, it makes a lot of sense to me on a vehicle that is for use rather than show.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Patina has value to me when it proves something's age and/or its originality.  

Patina can be very-very valuable.  

My cousin has a '62 Dodge Dart Wagon.  Impossibly ugly car.  But, he sprayed over the 'patina' and I think it actually enhances the car's coolness.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting.  I've heard of patina being mentioned in regards to copper art colors.  Never heard it applied to cars.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I've heard of patina being mentioned in regards to copper art colors.  Never heard it applied to cars.
View Quote

Big,big money if original , even classes for it at big car shows
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I drive a "patina" truck. Its wear is all honest to goodness use. I purposefully bought the roughest running and driving FJ40 I could find.  I actually wanted to keep using it as intended, and not some coffee grabbing status symbol.

It was a GA farm truck for years, and it now sports a 5.3 LS and is my DD. Love it every day honestly. I intend to do a full resto at some point, but I honestly beat the snot out of it on the weekends and it just keeps on ticking. I leave the "patina" because I've only been adding to it and I don't care to restore it just to not be able to use it.

I admit I'm probably the minority in that regard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227817/FB_IMG_1632325894865_jpg-2100503.JPG

ETA: see that bent in radiator? That's from a full rollover, it doesn't even leak.. Replaced the roll bar and windshield and kept driving.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227817/FB_IMG_1632326518167_jpg-2100509.JPG
View Quote

This shitbox is an original paint truck (I think the bottom rear part of the bed may have been reshot at one time but am not 100% sure).
Is it worth more/less that way? Don't know, don't care. I keep what is left shiny and don't cry if it gets another scratch.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
When I helped restore this, it took a lot of time, example of original patina when cleaned correctly, was in an old storage basement for 60 years and looked like a piece of junk before cleaning, was missing parts as well
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.

Of course, the cost of a really good paint job and the underlying bodywork to support it might have something to do with it.
View Quote

Who the fuck is gonna dump 20k into body work and paint for a car that wouldn't even sell completely restored for 30k...

Some cars are literally not worth a full up restoration.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I've spent enough time driving around in ragged out bullshit, I don't know why I'd want it to even look like I still do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I helped restore this, it took a lot of time, example of original patina when cleaned correctly, was in an old storage basement for 60 years and looked like a piece of junk before cleaning, was missing parts as well
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/image-2100545.jpg
View Quote

When you go that far back, you ain't finding one with an original drivetrain.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Its a great way to claim more value and do less work for sellers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When you go that far back, you ain't finding one with an original drivetrain.
View Quote

Yes unfortunately horses don't live very long( 1872)
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Patina matters if the item is significant.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Cars aren't supposed to have patina.

Only buildings and statues are supposed to have patina.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Patina has an interesting history.

How it sort of started was Southern CA beach/surfer cars and "Garage/Shop" Trucks.  It became cool to have a first a "sun faded" look, then a sort of "matte paint" look, then wear on the paint that replicates a look like the car was parked at the beach for 20 years or that the shop truck was used by monkeys for 20 years.  That's sort of when the look stops being organic and it bleeds into "Rat Rod" or "Rust bucket".

The vast majority of Patina cars are intended to resemble organic wear on a paint surface.  

The "Rust Bucket" look is basically paint representing a "wrecking yard" look (some look like a car that was dumped in a river).  

It doesn't make a lot of sense on a modern car - of course neither does matte paint or flames.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Wood = patina
Metal = rustina
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Let me step out back and take some pictures.

Lets start with this van.

Now lets apply a few of the value enhancing buzz words of the day.

Its rare: Yes it is rare you can probably find more 66 mustangs for sale than this van.
Is it a survivor: yes, Its just like it was when it left the Air Force
Patina yes, just look at it.

So with all of that the price of this van should be double what a normal one should be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390973/20210922_113610-2100558.jpg

Its rare: Yes it is rare you can probably find more 66 mustangs for sale than this van.

So with all of that the price of this van should be double what a normal one should be.
View Quote

In about 100 years it might be quite valuable
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Because rat rods are badass, that’s why
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
But it has patina now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Muh brakes have a patina...
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Rat rods are awesome.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
But it has patina now.
View Quote

How many made, condition, time, history(who or what was connected to it) gets complicated
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How many made, condition, time, history(who or what was connected to it) gets complicated
View Quote
I agree but many times buzz words get used by people that don't understand that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wear is patina.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Real patina is the result of age and can't be replicated well. Artificial aging can be attempted but it's never quite the same.

https://www.snipercountry.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/The-4-Best-AR-15-Carry-Handles.jpg

https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_5589/gi_100885564/DPMS-Iraqi-Contractor-Rifles-Bring-Back_100885564_5589_571B25A3AE64C6A9.JPG

Which one looks more interesting, new or an Iraq war contractor bring back.

Sure you can throw the new one down the driveway a few times, but it'll never quite look right if you're trying to replicate the patina that comes from actual use.

Wear is patina.

being on an eventual historic firearm battle wear does add to the provenance but rubbing clean through an anodized finish is wear and tear not patina. It doesn't really do anything to show the age, just use.

if the anodized finish had some areas that were a little different color or simply smoother from light wear it would be considered patina.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I agree but many times buzz words get used by people that don't understand that.
View Quote

Yup, I kinda hate to see some very valuable cars that are over-restored or modified sometimes
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#32]
As others have said, patina is normal wear.  Patina is the daily driver that hasn't been repainted.  The rest of the vehicle outside of the patina has many levels.  You have full chassis upgrades, LS or Coyote swaps, bags, etc or you can leave it stock.  It's all about what you like.  The other plus is you don't worry if it rains and the thought of a door ding doesn't scare you like it would with a $20k paint job.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Patina is an over used word.  Mostly used as an excuse to leave a car shitty looking.

Not patina

Forced patina is shit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
You might be surprised what those vans are bringing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
People that dont get it hate it.  I guess if it not their car why should the care.

I guess they are the oppinionated karens of the car world.  

Most of them dont have the creativity to build a car.. Much less a rat rod or a resto mod.
View Quote

You n me can be pals, I reckon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its been for sale for over 10 years. The owner is dead now. Nobody ever asked to even look at it so I doubt there is much money there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#37]
What about patina after restoration?

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

What I see when I look at that van.
Straight, presumably rust free (because TX, not rust belt or northeast).

Clean all the shmoo off of it.
Stock 6.0 and 4L80 out of a newer van, bigger brakes, rebuild suspension.
Exhaust with a little bit of noise to it. Not dumb loud, just enough to let you know a V8 lives in there.
Slight lowering job, appropriate modern set of wheels/tires. Maybe a set of 16-18" steelies
Front part of the interior redone with comfortable seats, working AC and a good stereo.
Work van partition and racks/cabinets in the back.
Redo bumpers, grille and trim (maybe chrome but more likely black).
Lettered with my company name/contact info in an era appropriate font.

Maybe I am weird but I find myself more interested in what is in the parking lot at car shows then the cars on display sometimes. I enjoy seeing more in progress, not quite show worthy, survivor and obviously home built cars then I do seeing checkbook builds.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This.

Of course, the cost of a really good paint job and the underlying bodywork to support it might have something to do with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are lots of trends in car culture that are retared, "patina" and rat rods are just another example.

This.

I always thought that was the real reason.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

So - in the right context - if the mechanicals were perfect, the van was cleaned off (patina does not include tree sap), and the finish was stabilized - it probably would be worth double the KBB.  In fact there is a whole group of patina van enthusiasts out there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Actually has some value, if it was restored 50 or 60 years ago ,they are starting to have value because of time or who restored it
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its been for sale for over 10 years. The owner is dead now. Nobody ever asked to even look at it so I doubt there is much money there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It must be a regional thing   I'd expect $3k for that being a long one.  If it was short then it would probably be double.

I like patina myself.  If you go to a cruise in, every one has a shiney car.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What I see when I look at that van.
Straight, presumably rust free (because TX, not rust belt or northeast).

Clean all the shmoo off of it.
Stock 6.0 and 4L80 out of a newer van, bigger brakes, rebuild suspension.
Exhaust with a little bit of noise to it. Not dumb loud, just enough to let you know a V8 lives in there.
Slight lowering job, appropriate modern set of wheels/tires. Maybe a set of 16-18" steelies
Front part of the interior redone with comfortable seats, working AC and a good stereo.
Work van partition and racks/cabinets in the back.
Redo bumpers, grille and trim (maybe chrome but more likely black).
Lettered with my company name/contact info in an era appropriate font.

Maybe I am weird but I find myself more interested in what is in the parking lot at car shows then the cars on display sometimes. I enjoy seeing more in progress, not quite show worthy, survivor and obviously home built cars then I do seeing checkbook builds.

View Quote
But does anything I typed out actually add any resale value to it. Of course it doesn't because in the end its still a shit van.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Actually has some value, if it was restored 50 or 60 years ago ,they are starting to have value because of time or who restored it
View Quote
I think it was done in the 80's
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It must be a regional thing   I'd expect $3k for that being a long one.  If it was short then it would probably be double.

I like patina myself.  If you go to a cruise in, every one has a shiney car.
View Quote
More like its a panel van and all vans suck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
But does anything I typed out actually add any resale value to it. Of course it doesn't because in the end its still a shit van.
View Quote

History, you need to come up with a story like Ozzie Osborne got laid in it or something
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Yep - they call that "an older restoration" and they can be more valuable then a fresh restoration if certain "totally unavailable OEM parts" are in place.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Patina is usually from a combination of alternating neglect and care.

Get yer tetanus shots though…
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

History, you need to come up with a story like Ozzie Osborne got laid in it or something
View Quote
It was in the Air Force so it had to be hauling around nukes and SR 71 pilots right?
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#50]

I have a C3…not looking forward to brake time.  Sigh.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top