Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Ron de Medellin 12 anos for sipping.  Ron de Caldas for slamming shots.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't claim to be a rum expert, but I do keep Kraken in my bar for people who have the palate of 12 year olds, and some some Bumbo for those not as bad and who love the taste of banana. However, my poison of choice is Cruzan single barrel.

Because Rum is almost entirely unregulated and undefined, it's not exactly one type of flavor. It's effectively like buying pre-mixed drinks in many cases.
View Quote
There several rum distilling traditions.

Every place it is distilled it is slightly differently due to water, soil the cane is grown in, etc.  Nicaraguan and Costa Rican are similarish.  Jamaican different.  Martinique different.   Bahama different.  Venezuelan different.  Puerto Rican tries to be Cuban because the big distillers were Cuban emigres.

For me, Cuban Havana Club 7 is what I'd drink every day.  I can't get it any more so Flora de Cana 7.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#3]
A good spiced or golden rum in apple juice with a dash of lemon juice is a delicious summer evening drink.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
We toured the Appleton facility not long ago. I brought a nice bottle home with us. It's truly a "sipping" rum. A small piece of 80% cacao chocolate and a bit of this rum is a real treat.
https://appletonestate.com/en-us/the-selection/21-yo-nassau-valley-casks/
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a bottle of this while vacationing in Florida. It was very good.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I like this, as something a little different. The pineapple is subtle. It's only around $30 so nothing special.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Typically have a glass or two of bourbon, scotch or Irish whiskey on the back porch but tonight I opened a bottle of Appleton 12 year and hot damn it’s good. Maybe it’s the soupy tropical weather but it’s a tasty drink.
That is all.
View Quote

I LOVE Rum straight & neat. Why is it always gone Occasionally I will drop a single ice cube into the glass. Just enough to serve it below Havana room temperature but not drowned it.

Appleton Signature blend is my daily goto. The Appleton 12 year is really good.

Zacapa 23 for special occasions.

If you are the type who mixes Coke or other sugary shit with Rum then maybe go ask your Husband to buy you something in a plastic bottle.

ETA- “spiced rum” is code for artificial flavors added to low-grade rubbing alcohol. Generally, the more “bad ass” the label art, the worse the contents. That shit is made for frat-boys and drunken bachelorette parties.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IDK know what Appleton is but unless its a dark spiced Rum its gross.

Can't stand that clear stuff.
View Quote

I like spiced rum and for mixing drinks I like Myers.

Any of the Bacardi type clear rums,....no thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The woman bought a bottle of Malibu awhile back. Not even full rum. But I’ll be damned. Mixed with pineapple juice I’ll temporarily hand my man card over because that might be the most refreshing alcoholic drink I’ve ever had.
View Quote

Drinkable in the right context.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I LOVE Rum straight & neat. Why is it always gone Occasionally I will drop a single ice cube into the glass. Just enough to serve it below Havana room temperature but not drowned it.

If you are the type who mixes Coke or other sugary shit with Rum then maybe go ask your Husband to buy you something in a plastic bottle.

ETA- “spiced rum” is code for artificial flavors added to low-grade rubbing alcohol. Generally, the more “bad ass” the label art, the worse the contents. That shit is made for frat-boys and drunken bachelorette parties.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Typically have a glass or two of bourbon, scotch or Irish whiskey on the back porch but tonight I opened a bottle of Appleton 12 year and hot damn it’s good. Maybe it’s the soupy tropical weather but it’s a tasty drink.
That is all.

Not always but, yes, usually. And, you don't always know if a Rum is a "spiced rum" with U.S.-bottling, apparently.

One wake up call I experienced in the UK is seeing how a product sold as "Rum" in the United States was not legally able to even be sold as "Rum." Bottles of Captain Morgan gold, sold as "spiced rum" in the United States, were just "spirit drink." How it was explained to me, is there was a defined standard for "Rum," and also "Spiced Rum." Then were is a third category that is too adulterated to be either, hence "spirit drink."

Any attempt to find regulation in Rum definitions leads me to European or UK sites, so they seem to be the only people who care... and I suppose the EU's care was derivative of the UK's care. I did find a great article just now, though. https://www.satedonline.com/drink/what-is-rum-a-beginners-guide-to-the-category/
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rum is incredible. It is the last hard liquor group that has not undergone a trend renaissance driving up prices and hurting availability. For comparison, you can get rum that rivals $200 bottle bourbon in quality that is still $30 bottle.
View Quote

Please name them so I can check them out.

@HappyCamel
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sailor Jerry will make college girls and 50 year old divorced moms equally wild and crazy.
View Quote

Can confirm
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It has been years since I had Pampero Aniversario, not available here, but it was delicious.
Others I've enjoyed over the years are Ron Anejo Aniversario, Rhum Barbancourt 21, Matusalem Gran Reserva and Diplomatico Mantuano.
View Quote

Quoted:
I’m partial to Ron zacapa 23 myself.  I can put back wayyyy to much in any one sitting.  Price has risen a bit in the last couple of years but it drinks like a good bourbon that would be significantly more expensive.
View Quote

I've had the Matusalen and Ron Zacapa, and they are very good indeed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Meyers dark is what I sneaked /was given by my uncle so I like that as my emergency bottle.
View Quote

Myers is my go-to rum.

Attachment Attached File

I agree the white/clear rums aren't good for sipping.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IDK know what Appleton is but unless its a dark spiced Rum its gross.

Can't stand that clear stuff.
View Quote

Ignore this philistine. Spiced rum is for poor chicks and Bud Light fanboys. Try some Diplomatico, Ron Zacapa, or the Flor de Cana 12-yr old.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Picked up a few of these my last visit to Canada.
Mild and makes a good mixer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47594/DSCN2571_JPG-1117956.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Love HC7. I need to get some more.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I love rum now. Making mango pina coladas this weekend topped with 151 rum. But for years I would not touch it. Got wasted in Grenada years ago October 83 drank that crappy rock gut island rum But 2 years ago tried a mango pina colada and now I'm making them.   But it's gotta have the 151 topper. I do like though hopping in my kayak and paddling over to the tiki bar at Little Harbor Resort. Getting one and then another to go. Fishing and sipping on a pina colada

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#20]
This stuff is pretty damn tasty.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Please name them so I can check them out.

@HappyCamel
View Quote

@USPguy  I’m no rum expert by a long shot, but give ron zacapa 23 a shot.  I used to be able to find it for under 30$ a bottle here.  Now the going rate seems to be upper 30s.  Every once in a while Costco here will have it for 33$.  I’m a huge bourbon guy, and honestly if I had a choice of only drinking one specific liquor for the rest of my life it would probably be zacapa23.  Drink it neat.  Flor de caña is another good choice as mentioned in this thread, mount gay, and Appleton as well.  Just like any other spirit you will need to find one that fits your palette.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not always but, yes, usually. And, you don't always know if a Rum is a "spiced rum" with U.S.-bottling, apparently.

One wake up call I experienced in the UK is seeing how a product sold as "Rum" in the United States was not legally able to even be sold as "Rum." Bottles of Captain Morgan gold, sold as "spiced rum" in the United States, were just "spirit drink." How it was explained to me, is there was a defined standard for "Rum," and also "Spiced Rum." Then were is a third category that is too adulterated to be either, hence "spirit drink."

Any attempt to find regulation in Rum definitions leads me to European or UK sites, so they seem to be the only people who care... and I suppose the EU's care was derivative of the UK's care. I did find a great article just now, though. https://www.satedonline.com/drink/what-is-rum-a-beginners-guide-to-the-category/
View Quote
Good article, except the Spanish tradition rums...  Only Cuba & Venezuela get any love?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

On a perfect day, you can tie all three together.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I freaking love rum...like I love the smell, the taste, the look, everything about it. If I could wear it as cologne I would. If I could drink it 24.7 I would.

3 things I love in life.

Boats
Big Asses
Rum

On a perfect day, you can tie all three together.  

damn right man.....there's nothing that makes me happier in the world than being able to look at clear beautiful water, white sand and some palm trees while on a boat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Bumbu is delicious. Tastes like bananas. Captain Morgan private stock is pretty good too
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Been loving rum the last few years...  I only drink them straight or with a couple cubes of ice,  I don't like mixed drinks with rum,  caccaca is for mixing.

I'm going to pick up some of the recommendations from here.

Some of my favorites:
Bacardi 10yr
Zacappa
Plantation 20yr

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I like some good dark spiced rum... but next time I go to Brazil, I've got to try some different cachaça. I brought a bottle of cheap stuff home to make caipirinhas with, and it's fine for that. Probably not that sippable, though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bumbu is delicious. Tastes like bananas. Captain Morgan private stock is pretty good too
View Quote

Bumbu is my jam too!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#28]
The higher end Ron Zacapa and Don Q are decent

Papas Pilar neat with a Flor De Las Antillas is a nice diversion.  

A buddy brings Richland Rum when he hits his house in Georgia.  The Single Estate Old Stout Georgia Rum is tasty and decently complex to me.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#30]
got this as a bday gift recently..was very good...and cheap
beat - but i swear it was more vanilla, i don't remember banana taste....reminded me of sailor jerrys but...good

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I want to get a bottle of the rum like the Royal Navy used to issue. It would be a good pairing with Master and Commander.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I really like the Appleton Estate 12 year.

I had Papa’s Pilar once and I really liked it, haven’t bought any since though.

I also like Ron de Barrilita.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Add some 151 to it. Caribou Lou. Also refreshing, more manly, and fast acting
View Quote

They make a stronger Malibu black now - good for cocktails
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Add some 151 to it. Caribou Lou. Also refreshing, more manly, and fast acting
View Quote

They make a stronger Malibu black now - good for cocktails
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
got this as a bday gift recently..was very good...and cheap
beat - but i swear it was more vanilla, i don't remember banana taste....reminded me of sailor jerrys but...good

https://products0.imgix.drizly.com/ci-bumbu-original-rum-cb6bd438aa5e66ca.jpeg
View Quote

Bumbu is awesome
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Ron Zacapa No 23 is a very good rum over ice for sipping. It is from Guatemala and is very smooth.  It is too good to use as a mixer.  Was introduced to it by my neighbors; it is now the neighborhood drink of choice.

Foursquare from Barbados is another rum we like.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#40]
This is clearly going to be another one of those threads that cost me money.

I hate all of you. And, my bar has no more room.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Rhum is what you seek.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I freaking love rum...like I love the smell, the taste, the look, everything about it. If I could wear it as cologne I would. If I could drink it 24.7 I would.

3 things I love in life.

Boats
Big Asses
Rum
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

3 things I love in life.

Boats
Big Asses
Rum
View Quote

You were a Pirate in your last life.      You instinctually seek “Great Piles of Booty…-Aaarghhh!”.    

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Yaaarrrrr.

My daughter visited the distillery in Puerto Rico and brought me back this bottle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Went to the distillery there. Good shit. Checking in at the hotel they gave me a bottle of the aged variety. My friend didnt get one with his room lol.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I absolutely love Koloa rum from Kauai.  When my wife and I visit Kauai we usually stay a few miles from Koloa, and so we have a lot of great memories from there - including making mai tais and fruit cocktails with Koloa rum.  My wife also loves the coffee rum.  They were one of the very first companies to make a coffee rum, and it is amazing with ice cubes and milk.  

The also sell an absolutely amazing rum cake at the gift shop, and have a hilarious (and delicious) "rum safari"
View Quote

Yeah, they have a great variety, too.  The rum safari was booked for months out when we were there last month, but we did visit the rum room and had lunch at Gaylord’s.  If you haven’t, try their new Koloa Cacao Rum.  They use Lydgate Farms, also a Kauai company, cacao nibs for the process.  When done, they return the nibs back to Lydgate who turns them into chocolate bars.  They are expensive, like $20 a bar, but excellent.

The Koloa Mai Tai recipe is really good.  This is the one I use.  The orgeat plays a key role, so use good or homemade stuff.  On a side note, I’ve tried store bought orgeat and homemade the hard way by blanching almonds, but find the almond milk method used by Anders Erickson to be easiest and best tasting.

.75 oz Koloa White Rum
.75 oz Koloa Gold Rum
.75 oz Koloa Dark Rum
.5 oz Clement Creole Shrubb Liqueur d’Orange, Grand Marnier or Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao
1 oz Lime Juice
.25 oz Pineapple Juice
.25 oz Orange Juice
.75 oz Orgeat

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This be it. Got it as a gift for Christmas. Probably going to end up buying another bottle.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486084/IMG_1722_jpeg-2862978.JPG
View Quote
This is my go to rum.

Also, I've never had anything from Foursquare that wasn't fantastic.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top