BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice looking OP. If you're not already signed up over at Backyardchickens.com go ahead and do that. There's a wealth of knowledge there.

I decided to build ours from scratch 3yrs ago. We only have 6 hens.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/524356/1000001599_jpg-3296137.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/524356/1000001477_jpg-3296139.JPG
View Quote

Looks super good! I’ve seen my wife scrolling over there. I’ll have to sign up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What stain did you use?
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.

Chickens are fun

Also they will spread those rocks everywhere and make a huge mess of it. Chickens don't know organization

Mine for some reason like to hang out with the local deer. I don't get it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Make sure your chickens are fully cooked!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64530/IMG_1955_jpeg-3296123.JPG
View Quote

I had Easter Eggers that laid green eggs but never that big!
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What stain did you use?
View Quote

I used a semi solid Cabot stain and sealer from depot. Literally black is what the color is called. Sprayed it with my small Wagner sprayer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Most expensive free eggs ever!

We had 21 including the rooster but the damn foxes have been hell this summer. Down to 11 birds.

In the past 3 years I've reluctantly killed 5-6 foxes but I've been unable to catch this one or get him to the call.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Say Car RamRod, Chicken F**ker! - Super Troopers 1
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Gorgeous OP!

We do the "tractor" thing with ours.  Helps out our pastures and passes as exercise.

Wrapping up two new ones... took a break to build a new range bench.

Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to chicken addiction. I have 42 myself.

Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I had chickens for four years. Had 21 at one time but the neighbors huskies have thinned them out. Had to restock recently and should be back in the eggs next month.  Dogs are my worst enemy. Hawks around my AO are small and only go after the chicks.  Once they are grow they are not an issue.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife decided we needed chickens so I looked into getting chickens and the stuff we would need.
She then asked how we keep the chickens warm in winter.  I told we don't, we eat them.  That was the end of wanting chickens.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife decided we needed chickens so I looked into getting chickens and the stuff we would need.
She then asked how we keep the chickens warm in winter.  I told we don't, we eat them.  That was the end of wanting chickens.
View Quote

They don't need to be kept warm, they have feathers. You just keep them dry and a place to shelter from wind. That's your only end of the bargain
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice.

We started our yard bird life three years ago, with a tractor. Decided we wanted a coop instead. $1200 later, we are getting 5-9 eggs a day from 4 Rhode Island Reds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice setup, OP. If you do allow them to free range, you will have to fence off any gardens or mulched areas, they love to dig. We have 16 right now, lost several to foxes and raccoons this year. Pretty sure a really big rat snake killed one, too. The eggs are good, too, better tasting. Raising meat birds is also  an option, free range chicken tastes very different than store bought.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I used a semi solid Cabot stain and sealer from depot. Literally black is what the color is called. Sprayed it with my small Wagner sprayer.
View Quote

Thanks, the coop has a Japanese architectural look stained that way.  

Chickens are fun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#17]

I just shot a raccoon today that was fucking around at my place.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm going down this road myself.

I started building a coop of my own design, which is dangerous as I've never raised birds before. I've got about 64 sq ft of coop with some nesting boxes built on the side.

The plan was for 12-15 birds. My wife ordered 20 expecting us to lose some. The nursery threw in 5 more for free. So now we have 25 birds. lol

I still need to figure out the run. I figure I have 3-5 weeks to make a decision and build it.
View Quote
Get some electric poultry netting and a solar fence charger and you are all set.

Just remember, that first egg is REALLLLY expensive. Don't drop it. After that first one they are almost free.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Think of it more like building a koi pond - you get to watch your birds wander around and do funny stuff and it lowers your stress.  The eggs are just a bonus.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm good plan...

- Buy 15 chickens for $150
- Buy a custom coop kit for $3500
- Buy materials for a run, $1200
- Spend 35 hours of your time putting stuff together
- ?
- ??
- Save $1.50 per dozen eggs.  Profit!!!!

Think of it more like building a koi pond - you get to watch your birds wander around and do funny stuff and it lowers your stress.  The eggs are just a bonus.

Yeah, but if you build a koi pond, the fish will stay in it.

If you spend $5k on a fancy egg production facility, rest assured that your hens will go lay their eggs in a pile of dead leaves or something...

Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Chickens are the best! I will never be without a flock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I always recommend getting as many different breeds as you can, so that they all look different. This way, you can name them. When named, individuals can be discussed, e.g., "Blackie likes to go over to that one tree and dig", "Princess seems to have a limp" etc.

It is a great late afternoon entertainment to sit out back not far from the coop and watch the birds go about their business. They each have a different personality, and can be very amusing to have a drink and watch their antics. We'd let them free range when we were around.

ETA: You should find a packaged treat (like dried mealworms) that they like. This is useful, because if you go outside and shake the container at them, they will all come running.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn, that is really nice OP. Great work!
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Make sure your chickens are fully cooked!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64530/IMG_1955_jpeg-3296123.JPG
View Quote

Needs another ten minutes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I always recommend getting as many different breeds as you can, so that they all look different. This way, you can name them. When named, individuals can be discussed, e.g., "Blackie likes to go over to that one tree and dig", "Princess seems to have a limp" etc.

It is a great late afternoon entertainment to sit out back not far from the coop and watch the birds go about their business. They each have a different personality, and can be very amusing to have a drink and watch their antics. We'd let them free range when we were around.
View Quote

true, we have Nugget, Potato, Windy, Midnight, the rooster is Mork, we lost Mindy to a fox.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ETA: You should find a packaged treat (like dried mealworms) that they like. This is useful, because if you go outside and shake the container at them, they will all come running.
View Quote

Yeah I think we have 7 different breeds among them. We already have nicknames for the goofy ones so far.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn, that is really nice OP. Great work!
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#27]

This.. sadly.

I’ve lost 4 in the past ~2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#28]
We had a blast doing ours last year.  After years of my wife bugging me to get chickens, she caught me in a weakened drunk state and during a week of eggs shortages and got me to agree.  

My son does 90% of the upkeep like check for eggs before and after school and keeps them watered and fed. It's been really good for him.

We put cameras in the coop and run to keep an eye on things, and sometimes we get little sawet owl visitors.

Link Posted: 8/16/2024 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#29]
We have chickens. They are amazingly engaging critters.
Here are 2 resources for you: Chewy.com and mypetchicken.com are GTG for supplies.
Have fun!

BTW homegrown egg are out of this world!
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We had a blast doing ours last year.  After years of my wife bugging me to get chickens, she caught me in a weakened drunk state and during a week of eggs shortages and got me to agree.  

My son does 90% of the upkeep like check for eggs before and after school and keeps them watered and fed. It's been really good for him.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144404/1000019649-3111721.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144404/1000012025-3111728.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lqGVIhih.jpg

We put cameras in the coop and run to keep an eye on things, and sometimes we get little sawet owl visitors.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144404/nzlpfmn4-3296293.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144404/1000020205-3114250.jpg
View Quote

Amazing! I do have a ring camera facing the coop but my wifi will only reach about a 1/4 of the way out there. I think as my son grows up it’s going to be really good for him as well.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We have chickens. They are amazingly engaging critters.
Here are 2 resources for you: Chewy.com and mypetchicken.com are GTG for supplies.
Have fun!

BTW homegrown egg are out of this world!
View Quote

Awesome thank you. Yeah there’s no contest to store bought industrial farm eggs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They don't need to be kept warm, they have feathers. You just keep them dry and a place to shelter from wind. That's your only end of the bargain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah they're weird animals. Ours were still laying below zero with no heat in the coop or run. Just up the protein intake and they keep themselves warm.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Very nice. I am planning on getting chickens soon. I want to free-range them during the day. I love the sound of a rooster in the morning, it brings back lots of memories.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah they're weird animals. Ours were still laying below zero with no heat in the coop or run. Just up the protein intake and they keep themselves warm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be 10 below and my chickens will be out rooting around in the snow.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#35]
let em out, no ticks anymore. plus, those Polish are dumb as hell and they attract hawks like a sumbitch.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#36]
let'em out, no ticks anymore. plus, those Polish are dumb as hell and they attract hawks like a sumbitch.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Man, you got some ugly chickens.

Great looking coop though!

View Quote

I LOLd.  And I agree.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 2:04:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nice looking OP. If you're not already signed up over at Backyardchickens.com go ahead and do that. There's a wealth of knowledge there.

I decided to build ours from scratch 3yrs ago. We only have 6 hens.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/524356/1000001599_jpg-3296137.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/524356/1000001477_jpg-3296139.JPG
View Quote

Jesus.  All you need is guard towers and "Erika" playing in the background....
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Very nice. I am planning on getting chickens soon. I want to free-range them during the day. I love the sound of a rooster in the morning, it brings back lots of memories.
View Quote
My daughter got chickens and I built an enclosure.

Cannot free range out here, the owls and raptors love chicken.  I had thought the coyote would be the worst, but they never apparently got in.  There was bird netting over the top of the enclosure and it came loose . . . she didn't mention it to me. lost 5 chickens and two ducks.  Now that she moved out the enclosure is empty and my wife is not interested in chickens so I am going to expand it and turn it into garden.  Have to enclose the garden out here since the dear will eat everything and the quail will nest in the garden beds.  That was a surprise when I went to pick tomatoes and I heard the chicks.  Apparently the momma quail had been very quiet until the chicks were born and she tried to draw me off when I came near, confused me badly as it seemed like she was attacking and then she landed and faked a broken wing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Awesome

Link to coop kit?

Also, replace the chicken wire on the coop windows with hardware cloth.
View Quote

And all around the run.

Chicken wire is to keep chickens in, not keep out predators.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Except I would add that you need to heat and/or give them fresh water each day when it's below freezing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Nice setup
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#43]

You must show diversity and have at least one black chick

Link Posted: 8/18/2024 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You must show diversity and have at least one black chick

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20856/81C3C698-FCF2-4091-9CCC-1FB0EC0E60F7-3293925.jpg
View Quote

I got 2 all black silkies
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Tell me about that white fencing in the background, if you would, 2nd pic.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/19/2024 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Tell me about that white fencing in the background, if you would, 2nd pic.  Thanks!

View Quote

Just look up electric poultry netting.  Pretty common.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/19/2024 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm interested in the ROE

I can run to Costco and get 2 dozen eggs for $4.19.

All said and done, what does a dozen eggs cost with chickens?
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm interested in the ROE

I can run to Costco and get 2 dozen eggs for $4.19.

All said and done, what does a dozen eggs cost with chickens?
View Quote

There are many parts and pieces to this.

If you buy/build an expensive coop, get a small number of birds, and keep the eggs for your own consumption, the break even point is probably never.

But even at that point, you're getting better eggs than you get from the grocery store, and you have a small protein source that isn't reliant on the grocery stores.

But if you get a larger number of birds, the math changes. Some people will spend $4+ a dozen for home grown/farm fresh eggs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This.  Except I would add that you need to heat and/or give them fresh water each day when it's below freezing.
View Quote

I use a watering container that plugs in and has a heating element to prevent the water from freezing.  Otherwise just keep the coop dry, do not add heaters.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top