Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
With centerfire ammo so expensive and retirement around the corner I asked the RO if I could shoot the CMP course of fire with a .22 because...because 6 cents a round is why. He said it was fine by him.

Before the rest of you hotshots jump in and tell me my scores are going to tank, so what? Like a lot of us I've been holed up too much because of this damned Covid and I want to get out and socialize and have some fun. I have beaucoup .223 stashed and want to sit on it. I'm am only going to compete against myself and my last score. What counts here is getting out and just shooting for the hell of it.

That being said, I am reasonably certain there are a crackpot or two that shoot a .22 at 200 yards.

Any advice on come-ups for 200 yards from a 50 yard zero would be appreciated

If you are too embarrassed to admit you shoot a 22 at 200 yards that's OK. Just put on one of those Groucho Marx glasses before you type and I won't tell anybody who you are.

ETA while you're at it, what's a good set of 200 yard come-ups for a Ruger MKIV 22/45, 5.5 inch barrel zeroed at 2 yards? WTF. Why not?
View Quote

Over in Britastan they do .22lr at much, *much* longer ranges because they don't have much choice.

What is possible if you try is usually far more than what is possible if you don't try, which is usually far more than what is possible if you just mouth off on the intertubez.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
With centerfire ammo so expensive and retirement around the corner I asked the RO if I could shoot the CMP course of fire with a .22 because...because 6 cents a round is why. He said it was fine by him.

Before the rest of you hotshots jump in and tell me my scores are going to tank, so what? Like a lot of us I've been holed up too much because of this damned Covid and I want to get out and socialize and have some fun. I have beaucoup .223 stashed and want to sit on it. I'm am only going to compete against myself and my last score. What counts here is getting out and just shooting for the hell of it.

That being said, I am reasonably certain there are a crackpot or two that shoot a .22 at 200 yards.

If you are too embarrassed to admit you shoot a 22 at 200 yards that's OK. Just put on one of those Groucho Marx glasses before you type and I won't tell anybody who you are.

ETA while you're at it, what's a good set of 200 yard come-ups for a Ruger MKIV 22/45, 5.5 inch barrel zeroed at 2 yards? WTF. Why not?
View Quote

I can’t remember the exact target layout of the range I was on. But aiming at 400yd steel I was hitting the 200yd steel.

BallistIc AE is showing roughly 40” of drop at 200 for a 50yd zero.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Some months ago I came across a huge thread of people talking about doing this with Vudoo rifles.  Either here in the precision rifle forum or over at the 'Hide.

Luckily I was on the road for work or that thread might have cost me a few grand.  I'm not convinced it won't yet still.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I belonged to a gun club, we had a group of retired marines who would meet every thursday.  They would set up boards of asprin glued to target boards at 200yds.  They were using match grade .22s like Rem 40x or Win 52d with diopter sites. One shot per pill.  Whoever had the least # of hits paid for lunch. Those guys were fantastic shots.
View Quote

I think I would have to get shorter front sight bases for my old 40x’s and 52c.  

That sounds like fun though!

I got out of that kind of accuracy shooting when my Wolf Extra went from $30 a brick to $100 a brick then disappeared altogether.  SK is good but it priced me out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some months ago I came across a huge thread of people talking about doing this with Vudoo rifles.  Either here in the precision rifle forum or over at the 'Hide.

Luckily I was on the road for work or that thread might have cost me a few grand.  I'm not convinced it won't yet still.
View Quote

Vudoos are awesome, but you’re obviously paying for it. I ended up going with a Bergara B14R, similar feed mechanism and the accuracy and reliability are close to a Vudoo except I paid $900 for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't read all the posts.

1. Get a real target rifle with target ammo.

2. Shoot at the 100 yard NRA rimfire target.

3. After you master that go to the 200 meter international UIT target.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shooting 22lr at extended range is a wonderful training tool.  

Its like a big boi rifle at 3x the range but cheaper and sometimes more challenging.
View Quote

True, you are at the mercy of the wind to a degree and totally helpless with an off spec flier .22 cartridge.   At least with buying CF match or rolling your own you pretty much don’t get cartridge induced fliers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I've taken prairie dogs at that distance with 22lr but I got a 22mag when I turned 18 so I could get further out. I remember having to walk it in a bit...
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Copy made, printed and off to Kinkos to have it laminated.
View Quote
Keep in mind that was a scoped 40x shooting Wolf Match, probably much higher sight over bore dimension.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I was honestly surprised how possible it was to shoot a .22 at distance.

I started shooting NRL and a .22 prs league.  I think the longest shot I've taken in a match was 380yds.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#13]
GSG5 .22 200 Yards Off-hand

It's pretty easy once you know the hold. If you're shooting a pimped VQ 10/22 you'll be more accurate than me, and I had no problem drilling the 200 yard IPSC with a GSG5 .22 with factory irons. Go get em tiger
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I found the Nikon Spot-on Ballistic calculator to quite accurate out to 600 yards.  The key to long range with a 22 is finding ammunition your rifle likes that has very low SD.  Mine likes Eley Match.

ETA- rimfire ELR starts at 200 yards and goes to max of 600.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#15]
With SK match I dial 7.2mills for 200yds.

This is my Bergara B14r with an 18 inch barrel zeroed at 50 yds.

At 235 yet I dial 9.5 mil and 4x6 inch plates don’t stand a chance.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Did this yesterday.

50 YD zero. CCI Std velocity and Eley club
Eley runs about 1 MOA higher than CCI
150 Yds 15 moa
200 yds 24 MOA
200 Meters 27.5 Moa
300 yds. 41 Moa.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Another note about ammo. Match ammo is more accurate at long range, also, because it is subsonic from the barrel.

If using supersonic 22lr ammo, it will transition to trans-sonic quickly which will result in the projectile destabilizing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another note about ammo. Match ammo is more accurate at long range, also, because it is subsonic from the barrel.

If using supersonic 22lr ammo, it will transition to trans-sonic quickly which will result in the projectile destabilizing.
View Quote

Subsonic bullets are also much less affected by wind
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#19]
My cz 455 will hit steel at 340. 200 is def doable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Mini-Palma matches are shot with .22s at 200-yards using the standard .mil/NRA highpower file target.  

As stated above, at that distance a .22 LR performs like a .308 at 1,000-yards, irons OR scope.

Murphy Precision can make you a sloped scope base -- he made me a 20-MOA rail for a Remington 40X.  Here's a list of the guns he can make Picatinny rails for:  Murphy rails

Standard NRA 200-yard bullseye:

The Army "A" target (doesn't hurt your feelings so much):

GI Pistol target (a fair choice):

GI EIC target (the X and 5-rings are a bitch):

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I've not shot paper at 200 with 22, but I shoot steel every now and again. Was just recently doing so with a Ruger American Rimfire and a S&W M&P15-22. It's a fun time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did this yesterday.

50 YD zero. CCI Std velocity and Eley club
Eley runs about 1 MOA higher than CCI
150 Yds 15 moa
200 yds 24 MOA
200 Meters 2705 Moa
300 yds. 41 Moa.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure rocks have better ballistic coefficients than that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#23]
My Savage MKII TRR-SR would hit a 12" gong consistently at 250yds, IIRC the holdover was about 6 feet. Tons of fun
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You’re going to love watching the bullet arc in on target through your scope when the sun is just right. It’s a good time.
View Quote

This, I thought I was seeing things until we realized it was the bullet dropping.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like shooting distance with shit you shouldn’t use to shoot distance with. It’s a lot of fun since it’s a challenge

You just gotta pop a few and Kentucky windage from there. I shoot the small (12x12 ?) 300yd steels at the Rio Salado range with a browning buck mark 6.875 slab side barrel pistol with stock iron sights. Elbows on bench but no other rest and no bags

I don’t adjust the sight though. What I do is lower the ass end of the gun while keeping the rear sight centered on front sight base. Winds up with top of rear sight leaf being almost at the back bottom of front sight base. Target still sits on the clear tip of front sight post the way I do it

Works damn good unless the winds blowing much then it a bitch to wing elevation and windage but can’t be done
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#26]
i shoot 4" plates at 150 all day long with my FV-SR suppressed, holdover is 1/2 scope using CCI subs, zeroed at 50 yds

my boy's remington 597 has a different scope and we use cci SV's supressed, holdover is more repeatable at 150 yds.. more hash marks on the reticle

if the light is right, it's pretty easy to watch the subs through the scope lob their way down range
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know about clicks or elevations.  

My old win 52 like this one, with the flip up Enfield sights, is graduated to ~300 yards.  With standard speed ammo, it puts them in the middle of the black during summer weather out to about 275 yards when groups go all to hell.

I learned to be really picky with ammo.  Ely in the purple and black box was really good stuff, along with vertigris coated T-22, and the Remington Ely in the yellow box was almost as good with more fliers.  Remington cheap stuff was terrible, but I had a case of it I bought on sale at Boondocks.  Down range it looks like a huge distance between those tiny holes, but measure them out and find you did a nice bit of shooting.

I loved shooting prone at 200 yards with standard speed ammo in a 28" barrel.... pop..........whack.  Only downside was the 200 yard range was used by guys shooting 30-378's and the like.  That concussion with muzzle brakes made me call it a day a few times.  No ear plugs needed shooting alone.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You’re going to love watching the bullet arc in on target through your scope when the sun is just right. It’s a good time.
View Quote

Was going to post something similar. When I was a kid with even with a cheap airgun type scope, I could see the sunflash off my bullets if the angle was right.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have 150 yards at home & hung a few golf balls like this.
It's basically a 1 MOA shot every time.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/381345/20210102_105257-2202422.jpg
Even in a lite breeze with match ammo, best I did was 2 hits out of 10.
Good luck.

ETA, I can hit a 4" plate every time at 150yds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have 150 yards at home & hung a few golf balls like this.
It's basically a 1 MOA shot every time.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/381345/20210102_105257-2202422.jpg
Even in a lite breeze with match ammo, best I did was 2 hits out of 10.
Good luck.

ETA, I can hit a 4" plate every time at 150yds.

@Plank_Spanker what hardware did you use there? I’m gonna have to make a couple of those of those.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Was going to post something similar. When I was a kid with even with a cheap airgun type scope, I could see the sunflash off my bullets if the angle was right.

Last time I was at the range I could see the back end of the CCI SV I was shooting at 50 yards. It was pretty cool. That stuff is so much slower than the SK I usually shoot, gotta dial an extra mil at 200. But it’s almost as accurate.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:03:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I shoot my 22LR more than centerfire as the margin for error on it at 200+ is small and its extremely unforgiving.

I use a CZ455 with a Manners stock, Lilja barrel, Vortex 4-16FFP and Lapua Center X ammo.

Even with a Trimble, Field Firing Solutions, Vectronix Rangefinder, etc its tricky as at 200+, even being off 1-2 yards on the range will make a difference. It gets to the point to where you have to take cosign angles into consideration. It will also teach you how to read wind and really pay attention to it as even a few mph will screw you quickly.

Had a first round hit at 280 on a clay 2 weekends ago.

The limiting factor is really the ammo. Even with high end Lapua (or whatever your 22LR seems to like) the ES from shot to shot makes shooting at 200 a bit frustrating as you will get elevation spread on it regardless if its bolted down to something or not. We've tested this multiple times by putting cardboard behind a target and any misses were literally drawing a vertical line above/below the target. An ideal target at range is something only 1MOA wide, buy 2-3 MOA tall; something we like is the orange diamond pop up 22 targets.

I'm going to say that if you're shooting bulk box 22LR at .06 a round, there will be a lot of shots you would have hit, that the ammo screwed you out of.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My old win 52 like this one, with the flip up Enfield sights, is graduated to ~300 yards.  With standard speed ammo, it puts them in the middle of the black during summer weather out to about 275 yards when groups go all to hell.

I loved shooting prone at 200 yards with standard speed ammo in a 28" barrel.... pop..........whack.
View Quote
That's really cool!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Just go for it.

I got bored in WY after tagging out on an antelope hunt so I bought a normal Ruger American Rimfire, a Nikon scope, and bunch of CCI SV. Went out to some BLM, sighted it in quick, then went and found a prarie dog town. They refused to exit their holes any closer than 170ish yards from me, so I pulled out my phone, got a rough idea from Strelok, and got to work. The furthest hit I got was like 270ish yards.

The wind was way harder to deal with than the drop. Probably should get a 20 or 30 MOA base if you're planning to just have a long range .22lr
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I run PRS 22 matches at my club.  We go out to 300 and it's an absolute blast.

Im a centerfire competitor as well, but the 22 atmosphere is fun and more casual.  We have a blast.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@Plank_Spanker what hardware did you use there? I’m gonna have to make a couple of those of those.

Last time I was at the range I could see the back end of the CCI SV I was shooting at 50 yards. It was pretty cool. That stuff is so much slower than the SK I usually shoot, gotta dial an extra mil at 200. But it’s almost as accurate.
View Quote

@thezentree
The wire is SS picture hanger wire.
The crimps are Aluminum from the electrical isle. Look for little packages, steel crimps slip so avoid those. Smash them down with a hammer.
The 1/2" eyelets in the hardware isle all found at Homey Depot.
I predrill the golf ball so its easier to screw in the eyelet.
I hang all my steel on #11 rebar which is why my loop is so big.
They last a good long time at 50 yards with subsonic ammo, super sonic will tear them up pretty quick but you just screw on a new target, center fire no knows where it goes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@thezentree
The crimps are Aluminum from the electrical isle. Look for little packages, steel crimps slip so avoid those. Smash them down with a hammer.
They last a good long time at 50 yards with subsonic ammo, super sonic will tear them up pretty quick but you just screw on a new target, center fire no knows where it goes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@thezentree

Thanks. Sounds like the hardest part is gonna be keeping the yokels from trying with their .243s
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Sort your 22lr out by weight. Plenty of people shooting 300yd  buffalo league at the range use cheap bulk ammo sorted by tenth gr.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#39]
blasting turtles in a swamp at 200 yards with a 10/22 is a blast
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#40]
My oldest ringing steel at 200 yards a few minutes ago:

Attachment Attached File

The middle child:

Attachment Attached File

Both made first round hits. Thanks for the reminder, OP.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Old skunked beers that have been baking in the Texas sun for a while make good 200 yard 22 targets.

25.6 MOA with CCI standard in my rig.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Good luck with it OP.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
No help from me, but take pics, if nothing else you will be out shooting, and a bad day shooting is still better than most good days not.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's pretty common practice these days to shoot .22 at 200. I think the nrl guys do it every weekend. I don't have the specifics you are asking for, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly. I'm sure they are going to ask you what rifle and ammo you intend on using.

I've read about plenty of people successfully going out past 400 with .22 as well.

View Quote

There are some “ELR” 22 videos on youtube in calm conditions that lob them out to 1000yd i believe.

I shoot it for ballistic experiments beyond 200 a lot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think I would have to get shorter front sight bases for my old 40x's and 52c.  

That sounds like fun though!

I got out of that kind of accuracy shooting when my Wolf Extra went from $30 a brick to $100 a brick then disappeared altogether.  SK is good but it priced me out.
View Quote
I only found out about the wolf about the time it turned into either unobtanium  or gold ...  If I had knows sooner I would have bought a ton of it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

center fire no knows where it goes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks. Sounds like the hardest part is gonna be keeping the yokels from trying with their .243s
View Quote
Just accept its going to happen, and charge them a dollar a ball while buying recycled golf balls for less than 50 cents per.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I've taken my CZ457 to 404 yards on an 8 inch plate.  20 MOA rail, 21 mils of elevation(dialed 15 held 6 in reticle) from 50 yard zero shooting CCI standard velocity.

Your plan at 200 is totally doable.  Wind is the limiting factor.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I shoot a 6-8" steel plate at 200yards with my ruger american rimfire with a 1-7x BDC scope that only goes to 125yds. It's a blast
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top