Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Just seen on the official livestream that this lander is only active for about 7 days.  Will see what they show us I guess....

1:46:59 here

Intuitive Machines - NOVA-C (IM-1) - Moon Landing Malapert A Crater Moon - February 23, 2024

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Lunar Surface Day One Update  (23FEB2024 0818 CST)
Odysseus is alive and well. Flight controllers are communicating and commanding the vehicle to download science data. The lander has good telemetry and solar charging.

We continue to learn more about the vehicle’s specific information (Lat/Lon), overall health, and attitude (orientation). Intuitive Machines CEO Steve Altemus will participate in a press conference later today to discuss this historic moment. Press conference information will be coordinated with NASA and published shortly.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Dupe of Chokey post.

If it is upright, what more do they need to learn about it.   Where are the pictures?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dupe of Chokey post.

If it is upright, what more do they need to learn about it.   Where are the pictures?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Dupe of Chokey post.

Eagle Cam was not deployed during the landing.

https://news.erau.edu/headlines/eaglecam-updates-embry-riddle-device-lands-on-moon

Due to complications with Odysseus’ internal navigation system — specifically concerning the software patch to navigation data to include NASA’s NDL (Navigation Doppler Lidar) payload, which is meant to ensure a soft landing — the decision was made to power down EagleCam during landing and not deploy the device during Odysseus’ final descent.

However, both the Intuitive Machines and EagleCam teams still plan to deploy EagleCam and capture images of the lander on the lunar surface as the mission continues.

The time of deployment is currently unknown.

Stay tuned! More information will be released as soon as it becomes available.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
NASA News Conference on Intuitive Machines' First Lunar Landing
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Should have had a lower center of gravity.  Short and squat with wide legs would have given it a better chance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Darn, I was going to say that no news/pictures probably means that it is not upright.  Mission failure.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The laser range finders (LIDAR?) have a physical safety switch that was not deactivated on the ground prior to launch.  Thus that system was not operable when it was needed and that is why they had to use the NASA LIDAR.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The landing wasn’t the success they hoped for, but it was still a soft landing.  The miracle on the Hudson wasn’t an ideal landing, either, but I think we’d all agree that something good came of it.

Sure, the lander is on its side, but that doesn’t mean it can’t carry out some missions and provide useful data.  

Space flight is hard.  It’s even harder when you have no reference frame, like WGS84 here on earth, to work with.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone put the penguin in there.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The laser range finders (LIDAR?) has a physical safety switch that was not deactivated on the ground prior to launch.  Thus that system was not operable when it was needed and that is why they had to use the NASA LIDAR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

Thanks to TheAlmightyYak
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#16]
As the unit gets close to end of life, does it still have enough maneuvering thruster/lander propellent to attempt to right the unit and shift it's location at all?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Darn, I was going to say that no news/pictures probably means that it is not upright. Mission failure.
View Quote

Well, I, uh, don't it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess Coke machines are harder to land than washing machines.
If a woman can't spread her legs wider than she is tall, you're not going to land her either.

Must be a CoG thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The laser range finders (LIDAR?) has a physical safety switch that was not deactivated on the ground prior to launch.  Thus that system was not operable when it was needed and that is why they had to use the NASA LIDAR.
View Quote
Checklist?

Lame.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well, I, uh, don't it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.
View Quote

I only meant this flight.  There will be others.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If a woman can't spread her legs wider than she is tall, you're not going to land her either.
View Quote

Challenge accepted...
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Challenge accepted...
View Quote

His name was AnalogKid.

Godspeed buddy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]
The Nova-C lander is 14 feet tall. Those legs look woefully inadequate for uneven, rocky terrain. At the velocity and slightly horizontal trajectory it probably bounced in 1/6 gravity and tripped. Not surprising as the engineers I work with in the industry lack any modicum of common sense when it comes to design.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#24]
so dumb.  whole thing was a shit show
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Nova-C lander is 14 feet tall. Those legs look woefully inadequate for uneven, rocky terrain. At the velocity and slightly horizontal trajectory it probably bounced in 1/6 gravity and tripped. Not surprising as the engineers I work with in the industry lack any modicum of common sense when it comes to design.
View Quote

The lander was supposed to land at about 1 MPH vertical speed and no lateral motion....straight down.  Their best guess now is that it contacted the moon at 6 MPH vertical speed and 2 MPH lateral speed and that a leg/circular landing pad caught something causing it to tip over.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The lander was supposed to land at about 1 MPH vertical speed and no lateral motion....straight down. Their best guess now is that it contacted the moon at 6 MPH vertical speed and 2 MPH lateral speed and that a leg/circular landing pad caught something causing it to tip over.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lander was supposed to land at about 1 MPH vertical speed and no lateral motion....straight down. Their best guess now is that it contacted the moon at 6 MPH vertical speed and 2 MPH lateral speed and that a leg/circular landing pad caught something causing it to tip over.

I agree with that.
It is the same thing that I thought.  
The loss of the primary laser input was probably a huge part of that.
The fact that they even got it on the surface without auguring in was a huge success imo.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, in 1/6g there is not much going to keep it planted and prevent a tip over if they could not arrest all the lateral movement.  Which you would think they had to consider, but who knows.  They were stuck with the fairing diameter for the Falcon9 when they signed the contract with SpaceX.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As the unit gets close to end of life, does it still have enough maneuvering thruster/lander propellent to attempt to right the unit and shift it's location at all?
View Quote

From what I read it only had 7-8 days until end of life to gather data if the landing was upright.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah, in 1/6g there is not much going to keep it planted and prevent a tip over if they could not arrest all the lateral movement.  Which you would think they had to consider, but who knows.  They were stuck with the fairing diameter for the Falcon9 when they signed the contract with SpaceX.

https://i.imgur.com/5OZivsU.jpg
View Quote

That doesn't mean they couldn't launch it on its side, then they land it with the long axis parallel with the ground instead of perpendicular.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah they manage the standard kerbal space program landing. Had they actually learned from jebidiah kerman, they would have known to add some "pushers" to right the final landing configuration.

Rokit scientist don't think KSP be like it is, but it do...
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That doesn't mean they couldn't launch it on its side, then they land it with the long axis parallel with the ground instead of perpendicular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not going to argue that.  F9 fairing diameter is 15.1 Ft it seems.  But Boeing Starliner could not even make it to the Space Station a few years ago due to a software glitch that made them deplete all the fuel and unable to reach the station because a clock failure due to a software issue.  A place we have been going to for years.  And Boeing started building the Starliner at least 3 years before Intuitive Machines decided to go to the Moon which is a greater challenge than ISS.

Did Intuitive Machines fail the primary mission to land on the moon proper, yes it seems.  But what they did sure looks like more than Boeing engineers accomplished trying to go somewhere we have been numerous times (ISS) on the maiden flight with likely much less funding?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:25:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:38:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

From what I read it only had 7-8 days until end of life to gather data if the landing was upright.
View Quote

In some period like you mentioned that landing spot will enter nighttime.  The spacecraft was not built to survive two weeks of no sun on the solar arrays.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#36]

That is hilarious.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree with that.
The fact that they even got it on the surface without auguring in was a huge success imo.
View Quote

The lunar orbit insertion burn left the perilune (low point) too low.  They may have raised that orbit...not positive.   But because of that orbit, they tried to activate the lander LIDAR and found out that the safety switch was never deactivated.  Originally, the LIDAR would not come on until they were in the actual descent to the landing area.  I don't know what would have happened but they would not have had the NASA LIDAR system helping with the descent so maybe it would have augered in.

I don't know what system would detect lateral movement or why it was not detected or cancelled.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Maybe NASA can get the Lizard people to stand it back up straight.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:48:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Better luck next time.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder if the cube sat that got ejected caught pics of the Coke dispenser tipping over.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know how hard that is in Kerbal Space Program?  I always fuck it up and set the wrong axis up so it goes splat into the Mun.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The lunar orbit insertion burn left the perilune (low point) too low.  They may have raised that orbit...not positive.   But because of that orbit, they tried to activate the lander LIDAR and found out that the safety switch was never deactivated.  Originally, the LIDAR would not come on until they were in the actual descent to the landing area.  I don't know what would have happened but they would not have had the NASA LIDAR system helping with the descent so maybe it would have augered in.

I don't know what system would detect lateral movement or why it was not detected or cancelled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with that.

Someone in GD mocked me saying "Remove before flight" was the men's equivalent of "Live laugh love."

Who is laughing now?

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is an interesting phenomenon. They can be so smart in some ways and....not so smart in other ways. When there are groups, it is easy to get focused into a certain channel of thought and miss some obvious shortcoming.

I'm sure there were reasons for the lander to be so tall and unstable. Line of sight? Maybe they believed the landing system would overcome the unsteady design.

Weight considerations are high priority. Battle Bots robots have evolved certain features over the years of combat. A big one is the ability to right themselves or, a design that works equally right side up or upside down. Perhaps features like this were impractical or too heavy to include on the lander.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
so dumb.  whole thing was a shit show
View Quote

They sent a vehicle to the moon. One glitch and "The whole thing is a shit show"

I'm not seeing that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

They can unfold, a la Mars rover.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Should have had a lower center of gravity.  Short and squat with wide legs would have given it a better chance.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#48]
While it’s cool they made it to the moon and had a somewhat survivable landing, as a whole it’s a failure. Would it be a success if a military operation was summed up as “Well we made it to the LZ, but no other mission objectives were completed and everyone was killed”?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What a time. Space travel and events live streamed
View Quote

Just like in 1969.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Since it still has gas in the tanks and comms, why not fire up the RCS thrusters that are pointing at the surface and stand that bitch back up ???

If it blows up, well it just blows up.
Nothing to lose if it does.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top