Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
This is depressing.  I am guilty.  I don't calculate my tax return every quarter, so I tend to do it once a year and pay with my extension.  At 3%, I wrote it off as cheap financing.  At 8%, I guess I will be paying a LARGE 4th Q payment, so I can limit it to 1/2 of a year of penalty (I generally get the first quarter covered with over payment (it makes sense, given the estimate and the first quarter payment are due about at the same time).

No way in hell I am going to pay 100% of previous year this time - last year was my most tax ever.  I guess I could always call the bank and figure out if I could do it, but shit - it would be paying my 2024 taxes in advance.  Pretty sure 2023 will be about 1/2 of 2022.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The left hates the self-empmoyed.
View Quote

The government does for sure as they can not control them as well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They want you to hire a CPA to give you an EXACT number each quarter.  CPAs are in cahoots with the IRS to keep them all employed.

Flat tax is best tax.  Of course, 87% of all CPAs would lose their jobs.
View Quote

A flat tax really wouldn't solve this issue if the base problem is people not making quarterly payments.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Dear ATF agent assigned to me,

Please tell your IRS agent friends they can all suck a bag of dicks.

Regards,
              Midyew5959
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I never found the old penalty for underpayment of estimated tax to be anything worth worrying about.  At 8% I might reconsider that.

View Quote

Agreed, I've paid maybe a couple quarters' worth over the years because it wasn't worth the hassle versus what it cost (and an argument could be made paying estimates costs you money if you are getting a return on the money, basically a low interest short term loan that you can invest). But this does probably change that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I never found the old penalty for underpayment of estimated tax to be anything worth worrying about.  At 8% I might reconsider that.

It's very hard for my wife and me to estimate our tax liability for 2023.  Her medical expenses for this year are insane, much higher than 2022 for which we ended up having to fork over a little over $7K to the feds, while inexplicably getting about a $400 refund from the state.  
View Quote

I make sure my quarterly payments exceed my prior year’s taxes. Since I am retired and my income can vary based on investments, I feel it is less hassle to get a small amount back.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's almost like elections have consequences.
View Quote

I like to blame Biden for just about everything. While he is to blame for the high rate of inflation, he did not change how underpayment penalties are computed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's very hard for my wife and me to estimate our tax liability for 2023.  Her medical expenses for this year are insane, much higher than 2022 for which we ended up having to fork over a little over $7K to the feds, while inexplicably getting about a $400 refund from the state.  
View Quote

With the SALT deduction limited on the Federal level, I often pay owed federal taxes on the 15th and receive a refund from the state of California.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#9]
More financial illiteracy.  That isn’t the “fine” that is the interest in addition to any fines/penalties they assess.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Great.  There is no way in hell I can accurately estimate my income for the year.
View Quote

I wonder what year it takes effect in. I'm guessing it probably applies and takes effects for this tax year but I hope not.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FUCK the irs
View Quote

He's right you know.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Self employed here.  My income and expenses are vairable.  It is very difficult to estimate taxes.  I shoot for the 100% of the previous year.

Sometimes I feel like all I am doing is work to pay taxes, especially with the self employment tax.
View Quote

Don't worry, one day you will get some of that back when you collect Social Security and many here will bash you as a welfare mooch.

When you write that big check to the tax man it sure feels different than it does for the W-2 people who never get to hold that money in their hands.

Everyone should have to pay a quarterly estimated income tax.  Might help end the income tax right quick.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are doing the kind of business that generates 100k in taxes per quarter, you'd be crazy not to have a cpa.

He'd save you more money than he'd cost you with volume like that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I thought if you paid as an estimate 100% of last years tax payments you were okay as predicting future income can be difficult.

I use a CPA and let him figure it out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your estimates are 110% of prior year tax payments

I thought if you paid as an estimate 100% of last years tax payments you were okay as predicting future income can be difficult.

I use a CPA and let him figure it out.

110% is the rule if you have a higher AGI.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, they do need to scrounge up around $32 trillion dollars, so every little bit helps.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#16]
And just think, some retards probably believed them when they said the 87,000 new agents were for the billionaires and millionaires.    Bidenomics at work...
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#17]
educate yourself and set yourself free, and quit being brainwashed.

https://awakenednexus.com/

https://losthorizons.com/
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FIRS.

In 2022, FIRS levied a $140 underpayment penalty against me EVEN THOUGH I RECEIVED A REFUND.  Just a letter, no explanation, no nothing.

FIRS.

Don't get me wrong, if I had underpaid or had an incorrect deduction, whatever, OK.  Then I owed it.  But how does one receive a penalty for underpaying when one gets a refund?

FIRS
View Quote

thats your problem right there...

No.. you didn't owe it.

The mafia said you owed them, and didn't pay it quick enough, so now you owe them more. Based on a rate a non government entity with unelected power over all of us decided is the "rate" we owe?
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This problem will be solved by the new 87,000 IRS agents Brandon wants.

We even have some IRS people in GD who support that.  
View Quote

You forgot armed and jackbooted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They really hate small business owners or LLCs, or even people just selling used crap on ebay.
View Quote

And notice that small business owners were the ones bankrupted permanently by the covi(D) plan(D)emic.  Mega corps got Federal bailouts (thanks to our tax dollars) and are just fine.  Probably some record bonuses for execs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

hush peasant

you dare question the King...
View Quote

Render unto Caesar.....
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The online whores who make money showing skin, how would they even know how much to estimate?
View Quote

You think the whores are paying their share?

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#23]
But yes the quarterly payment fines are bullshit. I make some guesses while still trying to avoid giving government interest free loans.

Our general tax structure is bull shit and needs a giant overhaul. Also government needs to quit spending all my money.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#24]
87,000 New IRS Tax Examiners to go after Billionaires "not paying their share" ...  

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#25]
87,000 new agents to go after billionaires
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

They absolutely do.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Big Gov, like Big Pharma, Big Tech, Big Media, and Big Business hates the little guy.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
More financial illiteracy.  That isn’t the “fine” that is the interest in addition to any fines/penalties they assess.

View Quote

Which is even worse because I don't get interest if they owe me money at the end of the year. But i owe them interest on a fine even if I pay it the same day the fine is assessed.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
87,000 New IRS Tax Examiners to go after Billionaires "not paying their share" ...  

Bigger_Hammer

Quoted:
87,000 new agents to go after billionaires
View Quote

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Meanwhile the ass gaskets are sending all this money offshore.

merica.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Hunter Biden is already having trouble paying his child support, no way he is going to be able to pay the massive IRS fines he is about to receive.  (sarcasm)
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hunter Biden is already having trouble paying his child support, no way he is going to be able to pay the massive IRS fines he is about to receive.  (sarcasm)
View Quote

He will likely get a tax refund.  Bribes aren't taxable income, nor are luxury cars, hookers and blow.  Last 3 are legitimate expenses for Hunter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#33]
So they are going to pay me 8% on my overpayments on quarterlies in years that aren’t good?

Fuck the IRS
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Just be Hunter Biden, then you don't have to pay jack shit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's almost like elections have consequences.
View Quote

Stolen elections sure do.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I got hit with a 30k penalty last year. Don't feel like explaining but, it was bullshit. Assholes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#38]
So will I get 8% tacked on my refund?
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I hate the irs so fucking bad. we run two small businesses plus personal, I spend SO MUCH FUCKING TIME trying to keep our taxes straight. it's 100000 percent designed to be confusing and fuck you over by making it easy to make mistakes.

fuck the irs, liberals and all these cunts that think they own every cent you make to spend on fucking social shit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The online whores who make money showing skin, how would they even know how much to estimate?

That would be very easy to track their income, but say the whore gets bolt ons in the second quarter, and their income goes up 300% in the third quarter.   The whore must pay.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Was lucky? When I worked for myself for a few years I just ignored the quarterly thing and payed all my taxes in full at the end of the year.  I refused to do taxes four times a year. Fucking waste of time
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just be Hunter Biden, then you don't have to pay jack shit.
View Quote

Inside Hunter Biden’s tax crimes: How the president’s son blew off the IRS while making millions
The lawyer and businessman repeatedly admitted in court that he broke the law while ignoring request after request by associates to pay tax debts.

By Cris Barrish, whyy.org, July 31, 2023

The stage was set, the players in place in Wilmington’s federal courthouse for the long-awaited denouement in the Hunter Biden tax saga.

Prosecutors would detail the full scope of the “willful failure” by President Joe Biden’s son to pay his federal income taxes for 2017 and 2018.

The 53-year-old Biden would admit his misdemeanor offenses and put this chapter of his high-flying yet erratic life behind him.

But last week’s hearing went off the rails, with the judge raising dozens of questions about the plea deal’s appropriateness, enforceability, and clarity during a contentious three-hour session. The hearing ended with the judge deferring action in the case and Biden entering a “not guilty” plea.

Biden repeatedly acknowledged blowing off significant income tax obligations while ignoring pleas by his accountant and other business associates to file his returns and pay up, even though he had the money.

Biden had an income of $4.4 million those two years and owed between $1.2 million and $1.6 million in income taxes to the Internal Revenue Service.

His exact tax bill for those two years remains uncertain, however, because the IRS is reviewing what Assistant U.S. Attorney Leo Wise called “improper” business deductions Biden claimed. Biden’s attorney, Christopher Clark, said his client made mistakes in identifying personal expenses as business expenses.

Biden also admitted to being delinquent on his tax obligations in 2016 and 2019, although prosecutors did not charge him for those offenses.

The parties also revealed in the plea agreement that an unidentified “third party” paid $2.6 million in October 2021 in an attempt to settle Biden’s tax debts, including penalties and interest, for 2016-2019. Biden told the judge the money was a loan, but he is “not currently” making payments.

Biden admitted, time and time again, to breaking the law.

U.S. District Judge Maryellen Norieka asked Biden: “Are you pleading guilty of your own free will because you are, in fact, guilty?”

“Yes, your honor,’’ Biden replied.

Biden’s earnings came from several sources, including the prominent Washington, D.C., law firm Boies Schiller Flexner, outside legal work, his own businesses, Rosemont Seneca investment management firm, and Owasco holding company. He also earned money from Ukrainian energy giant Burisma, Chinese investment and energy companies, and an unidentified “Romanian” business.

‘I handled my affairs legally,’ Biden said of taxes in 2020.

Prior to Wednesday’s hearing, all that had been disclosed publicly about the scope of Biden’s crimes was a two-page criminal “information” filed June 20 in U.S. District Court in Delaware. The document charged Biden with “willful failure” to pay more than $200,000 in taxes on income of more than $3 million for 2017 and 2018.

David Weiss, the U.S. attorney for Delaware who has overseen the five-year investigation, also filed a letter with the court clerk that day, writing that Biden has “agreed to plead guilty to both” tax charges.

The crime of willful failure to pay federal taxes is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine for each count, yet prosecutors agreed to recommend probation to the judge.

Though he still had a massive unpaid tax debt for the previous four years, Biden said he was “confident that a professional and objective review of these matters will demonstrate that I handled my affairs legally and appropriately.”

Biden was not charged with the more serious crime of tax evasion, a felony that carries a maximum penalty of five years behind bars. That crime requires someone to take affirmative steps to evade taxes such as falsifying financial records.

The decision to charge Biden with misdemeanor offenses has led many to question whether Weiss gave a “sweetheart deal” to the hometown guy whose dad is commander in chief.

Two IRS agents involved in the case have testified before Congress that they urged Weiss to file felony charges but were rebuffed. Republicans in Congress have charged that the Democratic president’s administration interfered in the investigation and have pledged to keep digging.

Weiss has publicly said that he worked without interference from the U.S. Department of Justice, and has agreed to testify before Congress about the case.

Two-year income of $4.4M while strung out on crack cocaine

While Hunter Biden predicted in 2020 that he would not face tax charges, a far different and more troubling tale unfolded last week in the J. Caleb Boggs Federal Building, named for the U.S. senator whom upstart politician Joe Biden defeated in 1972.

A few floors below where his father had maintained a U.S. Senate office, Biden sat quietly in the defendant’s chair, flanked by a team of attorneys while his misdeeds and chaotic lifestyle took center stage.

When Judge Norieka asked him on several occasions whether the government’s assertions were true, Biden responded, “Yes, your honor,’’ in a quiet voice.

On Noreika’s orders, Wise read and summarized from an exhibit to the plea agreement, describing “Robert Hunter Biden” as an “attorney and businessman with lucrative domestic and international business interests.”

In total, Biden was paid $2.3 million in 2017 and $2.1 million in 2018, Wise said.

Wise said Biden continued to be paid huge sums those years even though he had relapsed into substance abuse — a descent that began after his older brother Beau, Delaware’s former attorney general, died in May 2015.

By 2016, Biden had begun to abuse crack cocaine, the plea agreement said. That same year, he also began a nearly three-year affair with Beau’s widow Hallie Biden.

Biden’s addictions and lifestyle contributed to the collapse of his marriage and his divorce in 2017, as well as the disintegration of most of his business relationships.

“Virtually everything collapsed,” Biden told Noreika.

Biden also said he’d gone to inpatient treatment facilities “close to six times” from 2003 to 2018 but had been clean since June 1, 2019, shortly after he remarried. Yet when Noreika asked Biden if there were any particular drugs he abused, the defendant didn’t specify crack cocaine.

Instead, he muttered, “Everything, your honor.”
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#43]
This is why I began employing an accountant again this year.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Great.  There is no way in hell I can accurately estimate my income for the year.
View Quote

But the IRS can.

My accountant just gave me the IRS estimate for next year and a payment schedule so I can pay early.

Lol, OK.  I'll get right on that for you boys.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They absolutely do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They absolutely do.

Almost like it's less about money and more about control.
Every branch of the Gov is trying to figure out how to control more.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Increasing penalty still won't generate enough revenue.  Next will be a penalty for over-paying. Hey, it cost money to return all that money!
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#47]
what percent interest to we get if we overestimate?

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Except for Sovereign Citizens and Al Sharpton.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm astonished at the self employed who vote Democrat.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm astonished at the self employed who vote Democrat.
View Quote

They're self-loathing shitheads.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top