User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Idiot
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL....Fast forward to when the grinding starts then read the thread......It's like a a million "purists" cried out in agony with the noise in the background.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
There are so many videos regarding Japanese sword polishing,  and some are worth seeing and some are not.

I think this is a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x5WzIu5iXU
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I use one of those old Japanese swords to trim bushes in the garden. It works great better than the new stuff
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If watching Antiques Roadshow on PBS taught me anything, it is not to try to restore old stuff you think may be valuable.
View Quote
Nowhere did he say it was an old sword.
Why is everyone assuming it had any collectors’ value?

He restored a rusty sword. How do you folks treat your rusty
tools?

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I knew a guy (just acquaintance) who gambled on a rusty old blade in a barrel of junk at a knife and gun show. Paid I think $300 for it. He photographed the maker mark which was still semi-legible and inquired about it. Long story short it was sent to Japan where it was fully restored at no cost to him and is now an exhibit in a museum. It is appraised at over $30,000. Before restoration you could hardly tell it was a sword blade. After restoration it looked like it was made yesterday.*

That's what he was supposed to do.

*Not a made up story. I've seen it before and after, as well as the official documents from Japan. The Japanese knew the maker, when it was made (over 1,000 years ago) and even the name of the sword. Yes, the sword had a name.
View Quote
Link? Fascinating as hell
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Lol at sword snobs, first they berate you for not signing up for their hand polished hob nobbery then immediately tell you your sword isn't worth what it is going to cost for the prescribed polishing.

If you generate enough heat grinding on that fucker to effect the heat treat it wasn't worth a fuck to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Zero fucks given.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Um, excuse me - I am NOT a sword snob.  I am a sword nerd and/or dork.  

It’s an important distinction.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The vinegar part was bad, but I almost threw up when he brought out the power tools.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol at sword snobs, ...

LOL @ sword snobs, nerds, and/or dorks however they identify.

FTR, I understand the valuable nature of antiquities and recognize the connection to finely crafted artifacts, but folks go waaaaaay over the top on these things.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#14]
So a guy takes a $50 garbage sword and turns it into a $40 nice look sword.  And people freak out. 

Who cares.  To each their own.  Just think, in 500 years, it may be worth something and no one will ever know it was "restored". 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Apparently he doesn't own a wire wheel on a grinder.  Hmmph!
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are so many videos regarding Japanese sword polishing,  and some are worth seeing and some are not.

I think this is a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x5WzIu5iXU
View Quote
That was good, thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#18]
His blade to do with as he pleases, right. That's what GD says when someone chops up a Win 97, Ithica or A5 Browning to replicate a trench gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess there’s lots of different flavors of sword snobs/nerds/dorks etc.

I personally don’t get the people who collect fictional swords, like Klingon sword, or sword from movies, and stuff like that.

I am also confused by people who pay thousands of dollars for newly made “Japanese” swords (made in China) when they could probably have found an actual Japanese sword from the 1600s for the amount of money they spent.  

But, I also accept that others might not understand why I would spend lots of money getting old swords - that were already in perfect condition - re-polished in a different visual style.  

To each their own, I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol at sword snobs, ...

LOL @ sword snobs, nerds, and/or dorks however they identify.

FTR, I understand the valuable nature of antiquities and recognize the connection to finely crafted artifacts, but folks go waaaaaay over the top on these things.
I guess there’s lots of different flavors of sword snobs/nerds/dorks etc.

I personally don’t get the people who collect fictional swords, like Klingon sword, or sword from movies, and stuff like that.

I am also confused by people who pay thousands of dollars for newly made “Japanese” swords (made in China) when they could probably have found an actual Japanese sword from the 1600s for the amount of money they spent.  

But, I also accept that others might not understand why I would spend lots of money getting old swords - that were already in perfect condition - re-polished in a different visual style.  

To each their own, I guess.
I'm not in any way questioning how people spend their money or what they collect, more power to you.

A $10k sword that is 500 years old makes more sense to me than a $3500 Glick built this year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I knew a guy (just acquaintance) who gambled on a rusty old blade in a barrel of junk at a knife and gun show. Paid I think $300 for it. He photographed the maker mark which was still semi-legible and inquired about it. Long story short it was sent to Japan where it was fully restored at no cost to him and is now an exhibit in a museum. It is appraised at over $30,000. Before restoration you could hardly tell it was a sword blade. After restoration it looked like it was made yesterday.*

That's what he was supposed to do.

*Not a made up story. I've seen it before and after, as well as the official documents from Japan. The Japanese knew the maker, when it was made (over 1,000 years ago) and even the name of the sword. Yes, the sword had a name.
View Quote
So... He gave it way or is it on loan?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had Paul Chen/Hanwei swords rust on me in one afternoon, so it's no surprise that one would be covered in rust after being buried in the dirt for 10 years.

I suspect that this was probably a Paul Chen or from one of the other Chinese forges.  If it was old or worth anything to begin with, I find it unlikely that they would have buried it in a time capsule.  No one could possibly be that stupid.

This is mine, not particularly old, but made in the traditional way:

Appears to be the same smith:

https://www.touken-sato.com/event/katana/2015/01/K-sou_tsutomu-01.html
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
His blade to do with as he pleases, right. That's what GD says when someone chops up a Win 97, Ithica or A5 Browning to replicate a trench gun.
View Quote
LOL....I'm still on the look-out for a "meh" 20s era Rem. Model 11 to make into a Whippet.....Friction tape and all. I have a roll of tape just waiting.

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Why is he an idiot before storing, it was garbage.  After restoring it was good enough to hang on a wall.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Not on my wall!

Maybe the wall at the local metal recycler's.   But that was TERRIBLE.  

I have a lot of respect for Japanese sword polishers.   The amount of patience it takes to keep rubbing a piece of
steel over a rock for weeks on end is an effort I would not be able to sustain.   I'm just too ADD-ish.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I doubt they buried a valuable blade in a 10yr time capsule to rust
View Quote
I'm going with this.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, so he cleaned up a 10 year old sword and some of you guys are getting your panties in a wad...lol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I am not a sword person whatsoever.  

Having said that, after watching that video it appears "Bubba's" have infected Asia.

I sure hope that sword was not a quality sword to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL....I'm still on the look-out for a "meh" 20s era Rem. Model 11 to make into a Whippet.....Friction tape and all. I have a roll of tape just waiting.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc387/Glockmonger_/gunsmithing/glockmonger_bonnieparker_clydebarrow_11a5.jpg~original
View Quote
I actually have one I picked up with a silly poly choke on it waiting to become one of these.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Them's fighting words.

I'll pit my bat'leth against one of your puny Jap blades any day.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did you guys miss the part where he said "He" buried it in his back yard for the last ten years?

View Quote
timestamp for him saying that he did it?  all i heard was that "this sword was buried in my backyard".

i mean, the 'sword' kanji in the habaki is a pretty good indicator that it's crap, but nonetheless, he's claiming that he 'restored' it.  that's a joke.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For those that don’t know anything about knives how was he supposed to do it right?
View Quote
Have it appraised first. If valuable, send to a professional sword polisher. If not valuable, proceed with belt sander. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It looks pretty nice after his work.  Yes, I know the original patina is lost...
View Quote
On Japanese swords the only place you want "patina" is on the nakago (the tang that goes in the handle).  Anywhere else is bad.

That sword was junk.  Unless it had been made my some rare/amazing smith.  Any run of the mill smith and it was worthless to start with.

A good sword polisher could still restore that sword amusing it's value would make it worth a $3,000 sword polishing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The one closeup they showed of the blade afterwards looked like hammered shit.
I doubt it was worth much to begin with but he did not do a very good job at all.
View Quote
I could not get a good look in the video.  But the sword didn't look like the geometry was quite right.  Probably crap knock off to start with.  Also couldn't see any evidence of a Hamon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a 10 year old sword he buried in the back yard. You guys are acting like he found a buried ancient Samurai sword found next to the dead remains of a great warrior and took a grinder to it. Geez.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I polished a new blade that I ordered and it came to me rough ground.  I had better results than him just using the sandpaper method.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I doubt they buried a valuable blade in a 10yr time capsule to rust
Why bury it to begin with?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why bury it to begin with?
View Quote
Probably realized what an inferior design it was after buying a proper western sword, tried to put it in the trashcan with the AKs but nerds kept seeing it there and having nerdgasms over it so he buried it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Them's fighting swords.

View Quote
FIFY

Also I hope you realize challenging bros to sword fights on the internet is kinda gay.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Also I hope you realize challenging bros to sword fights on the internet is kinda gay.
View Quote
It's only queer if we look each other in the eyes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#41]
LoL at some of you that think he dug up 500 year old Excalibur and ruined it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Them's fighting words.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them's fighting words.

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
LoL at some of you that think he dug up 500 year old Excalibur and ruined it.
View Quote
all you guys saying stuff like this are missing the point completely.  the issue is his use of the word "restore".  whether the gun is a noveske or a hi-point, this...

Attachment Attached File

...is not 'gunsmithing".
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread made me look into my email and see that I have been on David Hofhine's waiting list for 3 years...a year over his estimated time...
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Really?

I would contact him.

My last two waits with him were about 2 years (one of those pretty recently).
View Quote
I got married this spring, so I'm not exactly upset about it.... I would like to get it done though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top