Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you were seeing rotary-wing aircraft anywhere near the front lines in a Cold War-era WW3, it means that an armistice was signed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They had Hinds in the simulator at Knox back in the day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was always pissed off that they didn't trust us DATs with Stingers.  

They trust Afghani tribesmen, but not your typical American g i joe. The average tank gunner could probably hit a HindD though.  Probably.
They had Hinds in the simulator at Knox back in the day.

I got to be in an experiment where one side had GPS and one side didn't.  Guess who won every time?      

They called it Simnet or something right?    Awesome futuristic stuff for 1989.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]

They are mocked up French Puma helicopters.  Used in Red Dawn and Rambo II/III, other movies and I also believe as OPFOR for training our armed forces in the late 80's.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This. The MI-24 is more of a Jack of all trades, but it does every trade pretty damn well. For being such a fat bitch, it can haul ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Different mission.
This. The MI-24 is more of a Jack of all trades, but it does every trade pretty damn well. For being such a fat bitch, it can haul ass.

Rotorcraft are not limited by parasitic drag (fatness), but by the speed of the advancing rotor.   Therefore, the bigger the rotor, the faster the top speed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?
View Quote

Snake, what's going on?  Snake, SNAKE!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The soviets did seem to love them some greenhouse canopies for a long time.
View Quote

It was an interim version. The hind was developed from the mi8. And big parts of the weapons system weren't ready, so the A was built.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

so? They don't trust Stinger ADA guys with M1 Abrams either, do they?  

"Hey, duck-hunter, have a tank.  No, don't sign for it.  Just take it! I'm sure you'll figure it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was always pissed off that they didn’t trust us DATs with Stingers.  

They trust Afghani tribesmen, but not your typical American g i joe. The average tank gunner could probably hit a HindD though.  Probably.

"Hey, duck-hunter, have a tank.  No, don't sign for it.  Just take it! I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Well, you can’t strap a case of Tanks onto a Hmmv.  
I understand why they didn’t, but always thought it was a shame.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The soviets did seem to love them some greenhouse canopies for a long time.
View Quote

I’d just like to see the factory where they made all of that puke-sea foam green paint that they used for the interior of EVERYTHING.

That must have made 87 billions gallons of that hideous shit.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Hind MI-24 Helicopter Walkaround Tour
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’d just like to see the factory where they made all of that puke-sea foam green paint that they used for the interior of EVERYTHING.

That must have made 87 billions gallons of that hideous shit.  
View Quote

It was supposedly calming
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I got to be in an experiment where one side had GPS and one side didn't.  Guess who won every time?      

View Quote

SIMulationNETworking.. and yes they did...Gunner....SABOT.....CHOPPER....
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why do people feel compelled to put a shitty music track to military equipment and firearms videos?

I have no idea what a Hind sounds like from this vid. I prefer to hear turbines and rotor noise.
View Quote

For you, Komrade.
Russian Airborne Troops (VDV) Music Video
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#15]
If I saw that coming I'd probably shit in my bloomers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It was designed to work totally different than the Apache. And overall Soviet era Air Assault tactics were rather different than NATO stuff.

The literal best way to think about what the Hind was supposed to do is to think of it as an A-10 with a Rotor. It was never gonna do the sneaky popup type stuff the apache was built to do. It was basically come in low, fast, hose the fuck out of a target with rockets/guns/ATGM's and haul ass back to rearm at a closeby FARP. In fact alot of the weapon systems between the hind and the SU-25 are very very similar down to the actual weapons/sighting systems. The main plus of the hind was that it could rapidly land right behind the front line. The SU-25 could land on a dirt strip, but the hind didn't even need that.

Some smart guy will point out that the hind could carry troops, and that's true, but they basically never did unless it was exceptional circumstances, thats what Mi8's were for. A hind could basically either carry "troops" or "weapons"...

If no one beats me to it (please feel free) there is awesome south african mercenary hind video out of Sierra Leone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question for those in the know. While the Hind looks badass, just how great of an helo was it?  And what did it do better than Apaches, if anything?  Genuinely curious.

It was designed to work totally different than the Apache. And overall Soviet era Air Assault tactics were rather different than NATO stuff.

The literal best way to think about what the Hind was supposed to do is to think of it as an A-10 with a Rotor. It was never gonna do the sneaky popup type stuff the apache was built to do. It was basically come in low, fast, hose the fuck out of a target with rockets/guns/ATGM's and haul ass back to rearm at a closeby FARP. In fact alot of the weapon systems between the hind and the SU-25 are very very similar down to the actual weapons/sighting systems. The main plus of the hind was that it could rapidly land right behind the front line. The SU-25 could land on a dirt strip, but the hind didn't even need that.

Some smart guy will point out that the hind could carry troops, and that's true, but they basically never did unless it was exceptional circumstances, thats what Mi8's were for. A hind could basically either carry "troops" or "weapons"...

If no one beats me to it (please feel free) there is awesome south african mercenary hind video out of Sierra Leone.

Thanks.  Very interesting.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Came to post this.
You’re the man!
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#18]
WW3?

Fucking retard....
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope I’ve got these guys attached to my PLT. Plus manpads/stingers.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Documentary posted here few months ago, the cockpit isn't bullet proof. Some private owner bought one and gave a tour, anyone has the hour long video?
Video stated cyan cockpit for eye relief natural colors.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hope I’ve got these guys attached to my PLT. Plus manpads/stingers.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/FA6C06DB-6505-4C78-AC2C-D568803DA7F5_jpe-1879831.JPG
View Quote

Pro tip: if you shoot from that position, but at a slightly higher angle, the backblast will blow that little stub door behind the cab clean off the hinges.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That was the fakest looking Hind ever.
View Quote

Meh, it was a passible Hind-A.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everything on the battlefield can kill a tank, and a tank can kill everything on the battlefield.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, we had choppers on our base, we practiced all the time. This was 77
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#26]
-e-
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The one that flies out of here rattled the roof of the shop when it would go over
View Quote

There is one that flies over my house on occasion too.
Big SOB for an attack helicopter.
Same guy has a Cobra, it is quite a bit louder.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#28]
A chance to smoke a Hind-D...fucking 18B dream that!
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah that's why they didnt hover and their atgms were long range.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Documentary posted here few months ago, the cockpit isn't bullet proof. Some private owner bought one and gave a tour, anyone has the hour long video?
Video stated cyan cockpit for eye relief natural colors.
View Quote

You are a few posts late.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah Stingers and other MANPADS made short work of them in Afghanistan. With that said, they are tough as nails with regards to taking hits from small arms fire and crew served weapons. Their ability to carry/drop off something like 8 troops into battle is also unique in that regard for an attack helicopter.
View Quote

Its like a Bradley that flies.  Only experience with them was JRTC around 2000-2001, the Avenger saw it and started shooting before it came into view over the treetops.  Nobody else shot at it, we were too busy taking pictures.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#32]

LOFL in the 80s? Haha Haha.

You might be so lucky to have a crapperal guarding you... Or if you were lucky some germans with a gepard.

But apropos to the conversation,  the hind was no AH64, it was flying a decade before apaches did. A cobra is a better comparison tech wise, and in some ways the 80's versions were better than the hind and in some ways the hind was better than the Cobra. But the soviet military procurement system was as fucked up as the west (or more), so in alot of ways the hind can be thought of as a flying Bradley program. And doctrinally it ended up being used in way different ways than western attack choppers. Frankly its really hard to compare it anything in the west since the use cases were so different.

Was the Hind some super helo? Nope... Far from it. Was it an interesting and pretty multirole chopper? As it turns out yes...

Also, JFC, here is an actual cool vid.. Mercenary hind. Complete with "gentlemen" on "vacation".

MI 24 Hind - Mercenaries Attacking rebels in Sierra Leone - Executive Outcomes - Sandline
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It was super frelon IIRC, and it did kind of look like a hind-A, which at the time was relevant in afghanistan.
View Quote

Mocked up Puma. Which, ironically, a Warsaw Pact country did attempt to make a gunship out of.

Romanian IAR 330L SOCAT

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It was a mock up of a Hind A. IMO they did a pretty good job. This movie scared the hell out of me. The quietness of the paratroopers landing by that school stuck with me.

Hind A
Attachment Attached File

Edit, late reply.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#35]
The Hind is just a mean looking helicopter. Kind of like how the F-4 Phantom was a mean looking jet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:48:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

There isn't any reason the weapon's squad of a light infantry platoon can't be issued stingers. They are easier to use than Javelins, which isn't exactly rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#37]
What's the effective range of canister rounds out of an abrams?  Could it be like skeet shooting?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, like Airwolf/Blue Thunder fake....but my teenage self still thought it was cool as hell.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Russia has the ugliest helicopters, except the mi28
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why do people feel compelled to put a shitty music track to military equipment and firearms videos?

I have no idea what a Hind sounds like from this vid. I prefer to hear turbines and rotor noise.
View Quote

I don’t know, but I’d be profoundly grateful if they’d stop.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Do I have a Rambo II RPG or a Red Dawn RPG?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Pretty much.... between being slimed or irradiated within the first few minutes, nothing was going to fly anywhere, anytime anyways.
View Quote
There have been a lot of possible scenarios where nukes wouldn't be immediately deployed.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pretty much.... between being slimed or irradiated within the first few minutes, nothing was going to fly anywhere, anytime anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you were seeing rotary-wing aircraft anywhere near the front lines in a Cold War-era WW3, it means that an armistice was signed.

The Russians planned on fighting on a contaminated battlefield,it’s why the BMP was invented and ubiquitous. The Hind,just like armored vehicles,has an over pressure system. There is an NBC reconnaissance version even,which is why there are Hinds seemingly out of place in Chernobyl vehicle graveyards. They used other platforms as well but the Hind was a faster much more survivable way to go sniffing.

There would have been helicopters everywhere in WW3. “F-15s would have just shot them all down” is simply unrealistic,fighters would have been way too busy doing other things than to be down in the weeds looking for helicopters. This is why the Germans specifically dual tasked their Alpha Jet trainers for anti-helicopter fighting if war broke out. Conversely the US wouldn’t have spent so much time and money developing the Apache if it thought it would have been useless on a Cold War battlefield.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Planner thought WWIII would be like WWII with NBC. Just like planners thought that WWI would be over by Christmas. WWIII was going Chemical by Ivan as a first strike and that would have meant a Nuclear response by NATO. No ifs, ands, or buts. The ideas of a non-nuclear WWIII is laughable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Russians planned on fighting on a contaminated battlefield,it's why the BMP was invented and ubiquitous. The Hind,just like armored vehicles,has an over pressure system. There is an NBC reconnaissance version even,which is why there are Hinds seemingly out of place in Chernobyl vehicle graveyards. They used other platforms as well but the Hind was a faster much more survivable way to go sniffing.

There would have been helicopters everywhere in WW3. "F-15s would have just shot them all down" is simply unrealistic,fighters would have been way too busy doing other things than to be down in the weeds looking for helicopters. This is why the Germans specifically dual tasked their Alpha Jet trainers for anti-helicopter fighting if war broke out. Conversely the US wouldn't have spent so much time and money developing the Apache if it thought it would have been useless on a Cold War battlefield.
Planner thought WWIII would be like WWII with NBC. Just like planners thought that WWI would be over by Christmas. WWIII was going Chemical by Ivan as a first strike and that would have meant a Nuclear response by NATO. No ifs, ands, or buts. The ideas of a non-nuclear WWIII is laughable.

I'm sure you are basing this on hours of research of US and Soviet era documents.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There isn't any reason the weapon's squad of a light infantry platoon can't be issued stingers. They are easier to use than Javelins, which isn't exactly rocket surgery.
View Quote

Honestly for the weight I’d want more missiles.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I have to choose between your assessment and that of General was de Czege, well...
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It was supposedly calming
View Quote
It was a little bit of that, but mostly because blue colors had a "stay awake" effect. It's like looking at a computer monitor at night. The blue emitted will keep you awake and give you problems with trying to sleep.

Soviets, again their research and their results, found that Grey or black cockpits led to pilots having an easier time falling asleep. Rumors were that they had rooms painted in different colors with a day/night cycle and normal lighting. People working in the rooms were given tasks and told to complete them, filling out forms, monitoring screens, etc. The Turquois room led to an increase in productivity, attentiveness, and/or mental endurance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah Stingers and other MANPADS made short work of them in Afghanistan. With that said, they are tough as nails with regards to taking hits from small arms fire and crew served weapons. Their ability to carry/drop off something like 8 troops into battle is also unique in that regard for an attack helicopter.
View Quote
The Stinger in Afghanistan and it's effectiveness has basically been turned into myth.

I had a declassified CIA report on an old computer that outlined it.

It was a shock to the Soviets at first, but they quickly adapted with countermeasures and more defensive flying techniques pretty much immediately.

The Muj cell were completely unreliable. A bunch of untrained goat farmers don't make the best MANPAD crews ya know? They we're wildly over-stating kill amounts because they figured they'd get more support from the west.

For example, one ISI backed cell was claiming 1-2 kills a day over a period of months, which obviously had no basis in reality.

The report found that HMGs were the biggest killers of Soviet helicopters, far more than anything else.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top