Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/16/2024 2:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rattlehead34]
Post it up.

Building my stash, a few every month to maintain that glorious soft glow.

5 3-ways 150W max
20 25W
20 60W

Fuck LEDs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:42:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crownvic96] [#1]
Why? lol I want my backup power to last longer not shorter. I never understood the incandescent hoarding.

Another new account.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
LEDs are better in every way. Why?

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice
Variety of shades and colors

Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
Fine, fine, fine....I'll bite.

Tell the class why you would hoard incandescent light bulbs.
View Quote
Literally it is mentioned, the soft glow.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice

View Quote
Eyes are sensitive like my feelings and they blind me like your fucking truck headlights.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimEb] [#6]
Nostalgia

Incandescent were desirable back when all the LED bulbs sucked.  They wouldn’t work if cold (like outdoor lighting), emitted EMF that would interfere with radio signals like garage door openers, etc.

But now LEDs rock.  OP is welcome to have at all the old bulbs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty sure the only incandescent bulbs in my house are for a work bench light I use when carving/sanding muzzleloader stocks.  LED all the things.  Except for that work bench light.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice

View Quote

Don't forget they last a lot longer, even the cheaper ones will last years and they've come down in price quite a bit. I agree, I have no clue as to why someone would argue incandescent bulbs are superior.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Being terribly edgy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
Eyes are sensitive like my feelings and they blind me like your fucking truck headlights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice

Buy the soft white LED bulbs and avoid the daylight bulbs. It is not hard.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#11]
...maintain that glorious soft glow...
View Quote

Buy the ~2500* Kelvin bulbs, not the ~4500* Kevin ones.
It's stated right on the package.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck incandescent. LED FTMFW
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually the only reason LED bulbs fail is if companies use crappy electrolytic caps.  If they don't, you can expect a massive service life.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:

Buy the ~2500* Kelvin bulbs, not the ~4500* Kevin ones.
View Quote

The OP is having to reboot his Tandy 1000 after he blew a fuse at home. Yeah OP, they make LED's in a myriad of temperatures to match whatever look you're trying to achieve. Outside of using way more electricity, LED's are all around superior.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Those cookies ain't going to EZ Bake themselves, you know.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:

The OP is having to reboot his Tandy 1000 after he blew a fuse at home. Yeah OP, they make LED's in a myriad of temperatures to match whatever look you're trying to achieve. Outside of using way more electricity, LED's are all around superior.
View Quote
LEDs make your house look like a operating room.  Being a arfcom member, electricity cost is not a concern.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes

I disliked the 1st generation of LED bulbs/fixtures but they've come along way.  There's plenty of options out there that are very similar to incandescent both in terms of color temperature, color rendition, and the color temperature profile while dimming.  Incandescent light is dead at this point for all but specific aesthetic applications like "vintage" edison bulbs used to effect in design.

In terms of just general lighting though?  Entirely pointless.

Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:06:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#19]
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

I disliked the 1st generation of LED bulbs/fixtures but they've come along way.  There's plenty of options out there that are very similar to incandescent both in terms of color temperature, color rendition, and the color temperature profile while dimming.  Incandescent light is dead at this point for all but specific aesthetic applications like "vintage" edison bulbs used to effect in design.

View Quote
You should see my Stickley furniture in the glorious glow of incandescent light.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
What brand has a long life?
I haven't had any LED bulbs last longer than a year.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:11:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#22]
There are very few circumstances where an incandescent bulb is preferred over an LED one.  I have a few that I replaced with LEDs that I kept “just in case,” but so far none has been needed.

Made sense back when CFLs were being pushed.  Those things sucked compared to modern LEDs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:13:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#23]
Originally Posted By mouthpiece:
What brand has a long life?
I haven't had any LED bulbs last longer than a year.
View Quote

You most likely have a power issue that is killing them.  I’ve had three houses worth of LED bulbs over the years, and I’ve lost maybe two bulbs in all that time.  And several were in enclosed fixtures that weren’t recommended.  Still worked just fine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
You should see my Stickley furniture in the glorious glow of incandescent light.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By woodsie:

Ok i'm just going to go ahead and mark this one troll.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
Fuck incandescent. LED FTMFW
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I have two. One in each attic entrance.  IMO it's the only good place for incandescent bulbs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Why? lol I want my backup power to last longer not shorter. I never understood the incandescent hoarding.

Another new account.
View Quote

I used them.last year to keep my engine warm when it had straight water in it. I also put one or near my well head in cold weather.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#29]
LEDs do put out a lot of blue light in almost all temperatures. This impacts your sleep and eyes whether you fully realize it or not.

I have no interest in my position as I don't have any old bulbs but I'd do them if I could still get them and eat the cost for. Most lights I use regularly
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
LEDs do put out a lot of blue light in almost all temperatures. This impacts your sleep and eyes whether you fully realize it or not.

I have no interest in my position as I don't have any old bulbs but I'd do them if I could still get them and eat the cost for. Most lights I use regularly
View Quote
Full spectrum LED's baby!
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FunnyStar] [#31]
Back when CFLs and early LED were all we had, I stocked up on incandescent with all the talk of banning them. With today's LED technology I have replaced as many incandescent as I can and only keep a couple around cause I don't want to throw them away since I already have them.

One of the learning curves with LEDs is getting the right light color temperature and Kelvin for each room and outside.

Forgot to add, the incandescent I keep are for the garage door openers. LEDs cause problems with them. They can interfere with the signal from the remote and I experienced this.

Also, and incandescent can't so all the cool stuff like fire flames and changing colors like an LED. I have an LED Bluetooth bulb I can make any color I want with my phone. For the Holidays it is fun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Because anyone with properly functioning vision knows that LED lights are UGLY no matter what the manufacturer/contractor/decorator/salesman tries to push.

LED's are about as visually appealing as the interior lighting of a strip mall Chinese restaurant.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:18:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#33]
As far as radio interference, I have a 3-way LED bulb in the lamp beside my recliner and often listen to AM stations hundreds or even over a thousand miles away using a small portable radio. To hear any interference I have to hold the radio within a few inches of the bulb. The remote for my TV creates much more interference than the bulb.

Where I do use incandescent bulbs is in the various night lights I have scattered around the house to keep from bumping into things at night. These are the little 4-Watt C7-1/2 candelabra-base bulbs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Post it up.

Building my stash, a few every month to maintain that glorious soft glow.

5 3-ways 150W max
20 25W
20 60W

Fuck LEDs.
View Quote

I was doing that for a while, but then I found LEDs I like better with the same soft glow.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By hatidua:

Because anyone with properly functioning vision knows that LED lights are UGLY no matter what the manufacturer/contractor/decorator/salesman tries to push.

LED's are about as visually appealing as the interior lighting of a strip mall Chinese restaurant.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hatidua:

You know you can get them in different, even adjustable temp ranges right?

I think some of you people are getting temu knockoff bulbs from some dude at a fleamarket next to a dollar general or some shit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Don't forget they last a lot longer, even the cheaper ones will last years and they've come down in price quite a bit. I agree, I have no clue as to why someone would argue incandescent bulbs are superior.
View Quote

I have 40 year old incandescent bulbs. Don't have any LEDs that have lasted 10.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Btw if you run a slow motion camera you will see most LED are actually flickering
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes

You know they make them in different temperatures right?

They are even dimmable.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#39]
There is a use for incandescent bulbs.  Many older homes lack a neutral wire in wall switch boxes.  If you want to use home automation devices (smart switches, dimmers, etc) in that scenario, you're going to have an issue due to the lack of neutral. Most smart devices require power to operate and hence need both line and neutral connections.  

There are smart devices available that can work without neutral, as long as the impedance of the load is low enough to allow them to steal some power. If your lamp is populated only with LED bulbs, it's unlikely these no-neutral devices will work (i.e. the impedance is too high), so the manufacturers supply a "bypass cap" to place across the lamp fixture. It works but it's tedious to install.  However, if your lamp contains at least one incandescent, things will likely work fine and no bypass is required.

Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I swear some people would rub shit on their faces if they thought liberals would have to smell it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#42]
LEDs make your house look like a operating room.  Being a arfcom member, electricity cost is not a concern.
View All Quotes

Lol, keep clutching your incandescent pearls instead of taking 10 minutes and reading up on lamp color temperature.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#43]
Nothing like that warm soft amber color glow though. I really can't stand bright white light, it lights my home like a department store and I hate it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice

Stop buying cheap shit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#45]
OP is hoarding incandescent bulbs to keep his Easy Bake Oven working.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I put incandescents in my outdoor well pump house. They generate just enough heat in there to keep the pipes from freezing. There's two 150w so it's 300w of heat which is just enough for our weather
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Some day, my slide rule stash gonna make me rich.
When the lights go out, so does math. Rich, I say.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

They make LEDs in every color temp and brightness.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
There are very few circumstances where an incandescent bulb is preferred over an LED one.  I have a few that I replaced with LEDs that I kept “just in case,” but so far none has been needed.

Made sense back when CFLs were being pushed.  Those things sucked compared to modern LEDs.
View Quote

True.  Couple things that come to mind are oven lights or other high temp areas, and lights that dim.  LEDs don't actually dim for those that don't know, they pulse slower.  You can see them at really dimmed brightness levels.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a ton of 100W
Wish I didn't.  Taking up room.  
Thinking of tossing them in the trash.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top