Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, do you still use dial up for your internet service too?
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone ought to make a 2700 degree LED bulb so it glows yellow-orange.

(They do).
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a large box of them and one day I hope to run into a person like the OP to buy them all.

I was thinking of using them for a heater. Light bulbs are cheaper than heater elements and I would drive them with a solar panel array to heat the house.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Waste of time and money. LEDs last longer. Even after they engineered the life span down to a year or two. The new flouresant curly Q bulbs suck though. Not as good as LEDs anymore. They used to be good for 5 years or more.
Incandescent makes better lighting in 12v for your vintage travel trailer. It’s hard to find a soft white bulb in 12v LED that gives the same aesthetic look. The Bright white gives lots more light than old ones and looks better in modern trailers. But you get the hospital bright feeling over the warm at home feeling a good soft white light gives you.

To each his own.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cmw:

Tell me more about long-lasting LED bulbs -seriously.

Our 3 bulb kitchen fixture burns one out at least once a month.
View Quote

You’ve got a problem with your electrical panel in your house. Seriously, you have a bigger problem you should have an electrician look at.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bunn19:
OP, do you still use dial up for your internet service too?
View Quote

Fiber.  

Are you a follower and cant handle that my soft white incandescent bulb energy usage cost doesn't matter but only to poors?
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:17:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InflectionPoint] [#8]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
LEDs are better in every way. Why?

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice
Variety of shades and colors

View Quote

They’re pretty crappy at keeping your well house from freezing.

Edit: beat.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

If you are going to use "myriad" like the boss you are, you should know that there is no "of" after myriad. It's just myriad then the noun. That is a fact.

Also, LEDs suck ass. But that's opinion.
View Quote

Sure bud, enjoy your Luddite status for being a Luddite just because. Seriously dude, it’s ok to change every once in a while.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
There are very few circumstances where an incandescent bulb is preferred over an LED one.  I have a few that I replaced with LEDs that I kept “just in case,” but so far none has been needed.

Made sense back when CFLs were being pushed.  Those things sucked compared to modern LEDs.
View Quote

I’ll challenge you on the old CFLs. Yeah some did blow early. But I’m still finding CFLs I replaced in 2015 going bad now. The new CFLs I’m finding going bad in less than 6 months. So I’ll agree with you on the new CFLs. But the old ones. I wish they would reproduce them.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a hoard of typewriters
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I seriously took every LED bulb with me when I moved and replaced them with cheap incandescents.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mouthpiece:
What brand has a long life?
I haven't had any LED bulbs last longer than a year.
View Quote

Same.

My rural electric grid isn’t kind to those LEDs.  Too much variation and surge.  I’m the second to last house on my line.

A bad transformer down the road nearly killed every bulb in my house earlier this spring.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
The old LED's sucked bigly and I didn't like the .gov mandating the change over.

But, the newer LED's rock!
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
Actually the only reason LED bulbs fail is if companies use crappy electrolytic caps.  If they don't, you can expect a massive service life.
View Quote

I've only encountered some GE 40w LED bulbs (forget the model) that have lasted forever.  The 60w version dead in a year or two.

Phillips 60 or 100w LEDs, dead in a couple years.  Yeah, if you leave the light on all the time and hardly ever turn it off, then it might last longer, but that's not how we roll around here.  

I doubt we are actually saving any money having to replace them every couple years at best.

I did hoard some incandescant bulbs for certain ceiling fixtures that I absolutely refuse to try and replace with LED compatible versions.  No way its worth the hassle and expense to convert.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Look at that majestic soft white incandescent.  Cue more "muhh energy and bulbs get hot".

I opened a Shitty Lyte Beer for the poors too.

Link Posted: Yesterday 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of weird threads today. First a girl who doesn't like to use a laptop to process her 401k. Now, a guy who chooses bulbs over LEDs...
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gtdhw:
Do they make any LEDs that can correctly function on a dimmer switch yet?
View Quote

Link Posted: Yesterday 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#19]
LED has hit price parity. They put out a lot less heat which is important in the summers here.

I never was gonna hoard Edison bulbs. The tech has improved.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By John91498:
Lots of weird threads today. First a girl who doesn't like to use a laptop to process her 401k. Now, a guy who chooses bulbs over LEDs...
View Quote

The horror.  Thank you for your great insight and please go to the LED thread.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Not everyone is poor though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobalt135:
Warm color temperature LED's inside and a little whiter in the fixtures for the deck/porch.

Normal house lighting here after sunset would typically use 700-900w of incandescent power.  Same lighting loads now uses 95-120w with LED's

Also that is a signifigant reduction for people that have a 2000 to 3000w backup power source, especially for keeping loads lower to account for furnace or refrig/freezer compressor startups, without having to worry about how many light are burning.  Not to mention increased run time.

Also at 900w vs 120w useage at 0.11 per kWh for 4 hours a day x 365 is a yearly cost of $150 vs $19 ish.

Not everyone is poor though.

Not many wealthy that passed up a buck.

Link Posted: Yesterday 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#22]
nothing horrible, you're a free man who has free choice. If you want to hoard bulbs, well, that's up to you. I still think it's weird...
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The only time I want incandescents is if I am curing epoxy. A bulb or two lasts a long time.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
Fine, fine, fine....I'll bite.

Tell the class why you would hoard incandescent light bulbs.
View Quote

To stick it to the man.  It's purely American.  Offer us a choice, but don't tell us what to do.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Boomer thread!

Why hoard incandescent bulbs when LED is far superior.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Heat.

I have a decent stash but I have very little into them, got well over 100 of them for a few bucks at a garage sale.

I know LED's have a come a long way and I do use some, especially the bigger ones, in my workshop but there are a couple places I like the old gals.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By glock27bill:

To stick it to the man.  It's purely American.  Offer us a choice, but don't tell us what to do.
View Quote
Not everything the government says is good. Not everything the government says is bad. I could argue the money you'd save buy running CFL's or LED's could be spent on more guns and ammo. Think for yourself.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
Boomer thread!

Why hoard incandescent bulbs when LED is far superior.
View Quote

It is only superior to those that care about electricity usage.  

Nothing beats a 3 way 150W max soft incandescent glowing in the night.  It beats an antiseptic lighted room that can second as a doctors office.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#29]
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:

It is only superior to those that care about electricity usage.  

Nothing beats a 3 way 150W max soft incandescent glowing in the night.  It beats an antiseptic lighted room that can second as a doctors office.
View Quote
They make different temperature CFL and LED bulbs. I tend to like the sterile light except for very late at night book reading. Everything else is 3500/4000k and up.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Better than a political thread.

Link Posted: Yesterday 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Post it up.

Building my stash, a few every month to maintain that glorious soft glow.

5 3-ways 150W max
20 25W
20 60W

Fuck LEDs.
View Quote

Pretty sure I have a couple cases of 60, 75 and 100w he reveals.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JVD:
Hating LEDs is dumb. Hating those goddamn bastard piece of shit CFLs is righteous.
I still have some incandescent bulbs stashed in the basement, but IDK if I will ever use them up. I suppose if heat is a desirable byproduct.
View Quote

I don't hate any of the three, I hate the government for trying to remove my choice.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a stash of 40 watt incandescent bulbs for the kitchen appliances, and a bunch of 60 watters for my lava lamp.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:46:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John44] [#35]
Ah I see the modernist midwits are out in force to take op down a notch.
It’s year zero comrade! Nothing that came before was good and must be destroyed for the glory of gay butt sex in space! Your not a Luddite are you are you? You don’t use measurements that correspond to the human body’s ability to travel on earth, do you? This represents a serious threat to being the first to suck alien cock on Mars. Don’t you understand this is treason!

The truth is yes but actually no.

Modernist are almost as bad as their cousins, the everything old is gooder because it’s old crowd!
Why? Because they are the same people, just separated by 40 years.

Led bulbs with porcelain bases are problematic, or can be. The base holds heat meaning you shouldn’t use them in can lights or enclosed fixtures m. The “bulb” it’s plastic which also doesn’t transfer heat away from the base as well. When used in upright bed side lamps for example all the glorious leds are pointed to the sky. Meaning they shed less light down at the base of lamp. The plastic bulb is “sealed” to the porcelain base with the smallest amount of Chinese caulk making them unsuitable for damp locations, like the shower room. Nor are most dimmable.

Op should look for the full glass led bulbs in 2700k range. More expensive but with non of the down side’s. They are sealed with inert gas meaning they will transfer the heat generated out from the bulb more efficiently. They allow more lite at the base of the lamp.

They aren’t affected by the damp conditions in the shower room. Better for use outside in the cold. Can be used in enclosed fixtures. Most are dimmable by nature.
All the upsides of a incandescent and a led in one. A incandescent with a led bar instead of a filament. Just like gram gram used to bake.

Sadly most of the people reeeing at the op don’t even know why they are.
They probably derive most of their led bulb use screwing them up their bung holes rather than into light sockets.
Forwarded comrades! Gay space sex utopia awaits! All hail the metric system!
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

They make dimmers that correctly function with an LED.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JVD:
Hating LEDs is dumb. Hating those goddamn bastard piece of shit CFLs is righteous.
I still have some incandescent bulbs stashed in the basement, but IDK if I will ever use them up. I suppose if heat is a desirable byproduct.
View Quote

That is one area incandescent bulbs excel. Like keeping baby chicks warm or in the pump shed.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
I have a hoard of typewriters
View Quote

I'll take VCRs.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
Fine, fine, fine....I'll bite.

Tell the class why you would hoard incandescent light bulbs.

Ok that's a solid reason.
Link Posted: Today 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#40]
You DO realize you can buy LED lights in any color temperature you want, right?   Right?
Except perhaps for rare specialized uses, I can't imagine anyone wanting incandescent (other than .gov saying we can't have them).
Link Posted: Today 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I use a 100 watt in the pump house when it gets somewhat cold. It doesn't get that cold here but it keeps the very small pump house above freezing.
Link Posted: Today 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Eyes are sensitive like my feelings and they blind me like your fucking truck headlights.
View Quote

You haven't figured out yet they come in different shades huh?  Incandescents are trash.
Link Posted: Today 12:43:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#43]
Originally Posted By hatidua:

Because anyone with properly functioning vision knows that LED lights are UGLY no matter what the manufacturer/contractor/decorator/salesman tries to push.

LED's are about as visually appealing as the interior lighting of a strip mall Chinese restaurant.
View Quote

You, nor anyone else here, could tell the difference between a quality LED and gayer than a bag of dicks incandescents.   You're the type of people who stocked up on wagon wheels when the car was introduced.
Link Posted: Today 1:08:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gtdhw] [#44]
Originally Posted By Paul:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paul:

So change every dimmer light switch in my house that I would put an led (roughly 18 off the top of my head)?

That’s a lot of work for zero gain.
Link Posted: Today 1:29:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaddyShark] [#45]
When Obama wanted everyone to switch to those curly cfl bulbs, yeah I was hoarding incandescents at that time because those lightbulbs were complete garbage. But fast forward to today and I have no idea why anyone would hate the current led light bulbs. If you get "soft white", I don't know how you could tell the diffrence enough from an incandescent that it would bother you. With the way electricity rates have skyrocketed, I wouldn't want any incandescent bulbs in my home. OP must just like paying higher electric bills and changing light bulbs more often.
Link Posted: Today 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
LEDs do put out a lot of blue light in almost all temperatures. This impacts your sleep and eyes whether you fully realize it or not.
View Quote

Why do you sleep with the lights on?  What are you scared of?
Link Posted: Today 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#47]
I was making custom LED flashlights back in the day before you could just run out and buy them. I remember when bright white LEDs were something that had to be special ordered at high cost from certain suppliers. I learned a lot from making large LED arrays from scratch and learning how to build circuits and controllers and manage them.

I slowly replaced most incandescents with LED's long ago around my home. I prefer the look of incandescent in lamps, but the energy savings with LED's just cant be ignored. However, certain architectural outdoor fixtures at my home still get candelabra style incandescent bulbs because of the aesthetics. They don't get turned on that frequently, and they just look great with incandescents as intended. I tried several LED options in them, but none looked as nice. (Yeah, I'm an outdoor lighting weirdo).

I also hoard higher wattage incandescent bulbs to use in electronics repair as a 'dim bulb tester' current limiter when repairing old amplifiers and such. It's the right tool for the job. I find most examples here and there at flea markets/garage sales.

Otherwise, LED options these days are pretty decent light and color-wise.

It's a choice that should be up to the individual.
Link Posted: Today 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#48]
In this thread we learn that boomers dont know anything about light temperature or led dimmer switches.  

Link Posted: Today 5:29:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pioneer1] [#49]
My mother passed in 2014 and I still own her property and home. She did NOT care for LED's.

When I go there to maintain and check on her old 'time capsule' of a house the incandescent bulbs are the first thing I notice when I turn on the lights. (Along with the nostalgia as I grew up there).

GE Soft white or Reveal 100W bulbs in everything for the most part. So warm and welcoming. Quality and quantity of light that you have to spend a lot to get with LEDs.

Yes, you can get acceptable lighting/color temperature with LEDs but the really good ones are still pretty darn expensive.
Link Posted: Today 6:18:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#50]
Attachment Attached File

Large print because OP obviously missed it the first time.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top