User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They should run the machine at 150% duty cycle. When headcrabs materialize out of the walls, and a small portion of the facility vaporizes, scale it down 25%. Not going to see antimatter 9mm in my lifetime by being a pussy behind the controls.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How do you contain anitmater?
And how is it used?
View Quote

PET scans are an example of practical antimatter usage.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

it's much muuuuuch worse than that!  I don't remember the actual numbers but numbers like million and billion pop up when you start talking about the process.  Very very very hard to make antimatter.
View Quote

@LowBeta

Some hospitals have cyclotrons to make fluoride-18, which produces a positron when it decays.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They're making microscopic quantities.  Don't shit your pants.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Alpha (one of the CERN experiments) is capturing on the order of 50~100 at a time.

When Fermilab was at peak antimatter production, it was making about 25x1010 (25E10) antiprotons/hour, 24/7/365. The largest quantity of antiprotons Fermilab stored was something like ~450E10. It took 6 particle accelerators to make and store the antiprotons, and a 7th (Tevatron) to use them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CERN is the research wing of the Committee of 300, and their goal is to create a reliable means of time travel, with which to establish full global control.
View Quote

Reliable time travel exists, which is the explanation of various UAP and biologics therein.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's not even the kookiest conspiracy theory I've seen about CERN here.
View Quote

The interesting thing I learned about CERN here is that it was the Euro Manhattan Project for a brief period of time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
In HS physics long ago we calculated how much energy would be released converting 5 grams of matter (a US  five cent piece, IIRC).  It was equivalent to a good sized nuclear explosion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like everything is under control.

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
@MrHiggs

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In high energy physics mode, antiprotons are relativistic, traveling at .999+ the speed of light. 8 to 980 GeV.  Not really set up to measure something like gravity.

The CERN antimatter has been cooled down to .012 degrees above absolute zero and is held in position with a laser.
View Quote

How can that low of a temperature be achieved?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
A dumb jarhead found this interesting.

What if Earth Dropped to Absolute Zero for 5 Seconds?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, just a rough guess, but if they were making a ton of the stuff it could potentially end modern civilization.

If they were making a kilogram of the stuff it could end a large city.

If they were making a gram of the stuff it could take out CERN and leave a big crater.

If they were making a milligram of the stuff it could do a lot of damage to CERN and kill some scientists.

If they were making a microgram of the stuff it could maybe kill everyone in a room.

How much are they making?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Antimatter? meh, what could possibly go wrong?

Well, just a rough guess, but if they were making a ton of the stuff it could potentially end modern civilization.

If they were making a kilogram of the stuff it could end a large city.

If they were making a gram of the stuff it could take out CERN and leave a big crater.

If they were making a milligram of the stuff it could do a lot of damage to CERN and kill some scientists.

If they were making a microgram of the stuff it could maybe kill everyone in a room.

How much are they making?

The dose is the poison, but that just means we should be making it in orbit.  The orbit of Mercury...  You want rocket fuel? You got rocket fuel.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I still don’t get the creepy dance, but why the transvestites?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/181560/4F1B2BA5-C2B4-432D-85C0-C1854DBDD504_png-2913013.JPG

Are the dancers playing dead or is this symbolic of what will happen to the unsaved.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/181560/E87E50A0-1FAC-465C-9FC9-004FC5D3A653_png-2913014.JPG
View Quote

They have to contend with my ex-wife, pissed off I didn't put the seat back down??
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I want to know if LowBeta is Mr.Higgs after a name change.
View Quote

No, and I hope not.  I wouldn't wish what happened to Higgs on anyone.

Damn it, now I'm crying again.  Poor guy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The dose is the poison, but that just means we should be making it in orbit.  The orbit of Mercury...  You want rocket fuel? You got rocket fuel.
View Quote

How about we start with an Orion Drive? Probably going to need that to get to Mercury with a decent payload anyway.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How about we start with an Orion Drive? Probably going to need that to get to Mercury with a decent payload anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd think SpaceX might be cheap enough that you wouldn't need that.  You will need a von Neumann-able process for making solar cells, which will power everything else.  Build your antimatter factories, build your starwisps on up to generation ships---"Yeah, you're catching a ride on Hale-Bopp, all right."---and go go go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You contain antimatter by keeping in very high vacuum and magnetically controlling its position.
We used a ring about a km in diameter.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/176296/6958346142_214b0bc3c3_o-2913069.jpg

The only thing they're good for is to kaboom them and measure what kind of other particles fall out.

They really do annihilate when they contact any normal matter. Star Trek got that right.
View Quote

In high school, my physics class took a field trip to Fermilab.  Coolest day I ever had in high school.  If you were there in 1988, 16 year old me says hello.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to know if LowBeta is Mr.Higgs after a name change.

I missed something. What happened?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

His wife died in childbirth.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

If we had the energy to make a ton of the stuff in the first place, we've already solved the problem of cheap, abundant energy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If we had the energy to make a ton of the stuff in the first place, we've already solved the problem of cheap, abundant energy.
View Quote

This is why we colonize Mercury and build a network of power sattelites. Once human civilization has cheap abundant solar energy we can do practically anything we want within the realm of physics as we currently understand it.

That's going to take awhile though. Who knows what we will know in 500 years?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh, as long as they don't do anti-nitrogen.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Piffle.   I made several orders of magnitude more antiprotons than CERN ever will make of anti-hydrogen. Several world records, actually.

If you took all the antimatter I made and blew it up you'd get on the order of a stick or three of dynamite's worth of kaboom.

100% nothingburger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Piffle.   I made several orders of magnitude more antiprotons than CERN ever will make of anti-hydrogen. Several world records, actually.

If you took all the antimatter I made and blew it up you'd get on the order of a stick or three of dynamite's worth of kaboom.

100% nothingburger.

Called out once?

eta

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit I had no idea. Fuck me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
CERN is the research wing of the Committee of 300, and their goal is to create a reliable means of time travel, with which to establish full global control.
View Quote

Did you know that CERN has the same layout and dimensions as the original Temple of Moloch and CERN spelled backwards is an acronym for Nephilim   Require Earth Control?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:27:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@LowBeta

Some hospitals have cyclotrons to make fluoride-18, which produces a positron when it decays.
View Quote

@Radiolucent

forgot about positrons, was thinking antiprotons.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In high school, my physics class took a field trip to Fermilab.  Coolest day I ever had in high school.  If you were there in 1988, 16 year old me says hello.
View Quote

The Lab is a unique national treasure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love that Charles Stross wrote a practical Orion Drive into one of his books.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Called out once?

eta

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% nothingburger.

Called out once?

eta

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Can we use it as fuel to power Epstein drives?

If so, I'm all for it!
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Worry not guys. I am 3miles from ground zero. I have everything needed to deal with headcrabs
View Quote

Only one tool necessary...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If so, I'm all for it!
View Quote

Epstein Drive is supposed to be a fusion drive. But the way it works is magic according to current science so...

Later on in The Expanse there are ships powered by antimatter. They are quite punchy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If so, I'm all for it!
View Quote

Epstein drive? That’s suicide.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Cool
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If so, I'm all for it!
View Quote

I vote for an Improbability Drive instead
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That was my reaction
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my reaction
Nothing. Literally nothing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my reaction

And I'm going to take your word on it. Literally.

I learned something from wiki.

In modern physics, antimatter is defined as matter composed of the antiparticles (or "partners") of the corresponding particles in "ordinary" matter, and can be thought of as matter with reversed charge, parity, and time, known as CPT reversal. Antimatter occurs in natural processes like cosmic ray collisions and some types of radioactive decay, but only a tiny fraction of these have successfully been bound together in experiments to form antiatoms. Minuscule numbers of antiparticles can be generated at particle accelerators; however, total artificial production has been only a few nanograms.[1] No macroscopic amount of antimatter has ever been assembled due to the extreme cost and difficulty of production and handling.

In theory, a particle and its antiparticle (for example, a proton and an antiproton) have the same mass, but opposite electric charge, and other differences in quantum numbers.

A collision between any particle and its anti-particle partner leads to their mutual annihilation, giving rise to various proportions of intense photons (gamma rays), neutrinos, and sometimes less-massive particle–antiparticle pairs. The majority of the total energy of annihilation emerges in the form of ionizing radiation. If surrounding matter is present, the energy content of this radiation will be absorbed and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or light. The amount of energy released is usually proportional to the total mass of the collided matter and antimatter, in accordance with the notable mass–energy equivalence equation, E=mc2.[2]

Antiparticles bind with each other to form antimatter, just as ordinary particles bind to form normal matter. For example, a positron (the antiparticle of the electron) and an antiproton (the antiparticle of the proton) can form an antihydrogen atom. The nuclei of antihelium have been artificially produced, albeit with difficulty, and are the most complex anti-nuclei so far observed.[3] Physical principles indicate that complex antimatter atomic nuclei are possible, as well as anti-atoms corresponding to the known chemical elements.

There is strong evidence that the observable universe is composed almost entirely of ordinary matter, as opposed to an equal mixture of matter and antimatter.[4] This asymmetry of matter and antimatter in the visible universe is one of the great unsolved problems in physics.[5] The process by which this inequality between matter and antimatter particles developed is called baryogenesis.

Much more here
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The sooner we extinct ourselves, the better for all of us. Humans are a failed extra terrestrial experiment and every person brought into this existence is pays for it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top