Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I think on a real small scale regional level.....the only thing I can really think of that I had never seen anywhere else is a traditional WI Fish Boil.
I've never had it.....looks bland and I don't trust people to be throwing gasoline or whatever the hell it is around something I'm about to eat in 2 minutes.
But they are popular and our Yacht Club is hosting one soon. So I'll go check it out......and then go for a burger instead.

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Chicken Coup

https://imgur.com/tyfXeEa
View Quote
Oh yeah!  When I lived in Charlotte-that place is amazing! Been 20 or more years since I've been there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweden is well known for its many culinary highlights. I'm sure all of you have heard about our famous Surströmming, but here are a few other delicacies.

Kebab pizza, the perfect food to cure your hangover.

Gravlax, a delicacy I eat as often a possible.

Jansson's frestelse, a classic for Christmas.

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
outside of Rocky Mountain Oysters

I can only think of Beau Jo's Pizza

and Mountain Pies

they also have "The Challenge"

you and one other, have 1 hour to eat a 20? diameter pizza that is very massive

– The depth of this pizza is over 3? tall

– It is stuffed with meats, cheese, and vegetables

– It weighs in at around 14 pounds total

Prizes
– Free Meal (if you eat the whole thing in the time allowed)

– Free T-shirts

– Pictures on Wall of Fame

– $100 cash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZ_wwH1Ptk
View Quote
Speaking of Beau Jo's, what their deal?  Are they closing shop? shops?  We were in Boulder last month, and the one on Baseline was demolished.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Smoked mullet
View Quote
I love me some smoked mullet dip
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No. Please describe!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Two hamburger or hotdogs, mac salad, fries, slaw, and what they call hot sauce, which is more like taco meat all put into a pile with ketchup and mustard on top.

It's a drunken staple in Rochester.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Deuce Bigalow European Gigolo
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those are called spiedies, Binghamton has an entire festival of them every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Those are called spiedies, Binghamton has an entire festival of them every year.
Huh, first time I ever heard of spiedies was last time I was in Bhamton early this year. This is the second.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I vote for Detroit style pizza. Delicious. Even made it at home.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, we like smoked mullet, conch fritters, and eating people's faces down here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Huh, first time I ever heard of spiedies was last time I was in Bhamton early this year. This is the second.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My friends at college thought I was an idiot when I made them for them "What the fuck is a spiedie, just looks like a chunk of meat"

My mom has a funny story from when she started dating my dad, he brought her home to go to clam bake and told her on the way there "I think my brother is bringing a ton of spiedies too, should be good"

She started to get nervous because she was thinking a speedy was some type of pill you popped, and she didn't think dad was into that kind of thing. It was only some time later that day she discovered it was just marinated chunks of meat cooked on the grill.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I almost forgot about the Spiedies. Very popular in the Scranton/ Wilkes/Barre area and northern tier heading up into NY state.
Been a long time since I've had that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Fried Mullet roe.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sweden is well known for its many culinary highlights. I'm sure all of you have heard about our famous Surströmming, but here are a few other delicacies.

Kebab pizza, the perfect food to cure your hangover.

https://i0.wp.com/www.al-forno.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/kebab-pizza.jpg?fit=550%2C367

Gravlax, a delicacy I eat as often a possible.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/sites/sbs.com.au.food/files/9c_Sliced-gravlax_1.jpg

Jansson's frestelse, a classic for Christmas.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Janssons_frestelse_close-up.jpg
View Quote
That Janssons frestelse looks yummy...that would hit the spot on a cold day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I almost forgot about the Spiedies. Very popular in the Scranton/ Wilkes/Barre area and northern tier heading up into NY state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nirchi's down in Binghamton has awesome pizza, and one of them in spiedie pizza. It's like when two very beautiful people have a ridiculously good looking child, the perfect blend of both.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In the Chicago area, there's this thing called "pizza".  I've had it in some other areas, on some sort of pathetic thin flatbread with just a faint dusting of cheese.  I think those people may have had pizza described to them by telephone, but may have never actually seen one.  

On a more serious note - fried brain sandwiches are actually a thing in southern IN.  I haven't tried, and don't plan to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYnL_nN7-tc
View Quote
Whenever I make it home for a visit, I'm going to the Hilltop Inn for a brain-sammich, onion rings, and fishbowl of bock beer is on the agenda. A brain-sammich is a lot like a deep fried tenderloin sammich.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Lutefisk would fall under the food oddity category. Some people like it for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Our local $30 Bloody Mary...

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Alabama white BBQ sauce is all I can think of. Pretty good on smoked chicken.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I currently live in Houston. There is nothing that everyone in the country hasn't heard of already but I guess the most obvious would be fajita. Here in the little taquerias of H-town fajita means skirt steak though and you can get it made a myriad of ways.

I used to enjoy a giant fajita quesadilla when drunk/hung over.

I originally come from a Czech area and in Czech areas you have sausage rolls (kolbasnsik) and kolaches, which some folks think are sausage rolls but are a pastry more like a danish.

Sausage rolls:

Attachment Attached File

Kolaches:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Whenever I make it home for a visit, I'm going to the Hilltop Inn for a brain-sammich, onion rings, and fishbowl of bock beer is on the agenda. A brain-sammich is a lot like a deep fried tenderloin sammich.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57642/IMG_0320_JPG-898652.JPG
View Quote
There was a takeout joint in Independence MO called Clem's that had a brain sandwich like that. I tried it once. Just couldn't get past the consistency.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Seems most of the foods around the DFW area are fusion based or local takes on popular foods.

My local BBQ joint, Jambo's has a pretty good little BBQ sammich: The Jambo Texan  

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I live in North Dakota. Food with seasoning is an oddity here.
View Quote
Not at my house! But ya, German from Russia food is very bland, the Norwegians ain't any better.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

and Mountain Pies

you and one other, have 1 hour to eat a 20? diameter pizza that is very massive

– The depth of this pizza is over 3? tall

– It is stuffed with meats, cheese, and vegetables

– It weighs in at around 14 pounds total

Prizes
– Free Meal (if you eat the whole thing in the time allowed)

– Free T-shirts

– Pictures on Wall of Fame

– $100 cash

View Quote
I don't think a 'Rocky Mountain High' could give me enough 'munchies' to eat one half of that beast!   (not a smoker)
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I currently live in Houston. There is nothing that everyone in the country hasn't heard of already but I guess the most obvious would be fajita. Here in the little taquerias of H-town fajita means skirt steak though and you can get it made a myriad of ways.

I used to enjoy a giant fajita quesadilla when drunk/hung over.

I originally come from a Czech area and in Czech areas you have sausage rolls (kolbasnsik) and kolaches, which some folks think are sausage rolls but are a pastry more like a danish.

Sausage rolls:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81824/4E43CC79-A92A-46DC-944C-613A906A9298_jpeg-898670.JPG

Kolaches:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81824/4EBFB5B8-897C-40B3-92D0-F35C2FB1FC61_jpeg-898674.JPG
View Quote
Ah yeah, forgot about kolaches. In Houston that first pic is of kolaches. Yes, it’s not traditionally correct, but those are kolaches in H-town.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Just realized, there is something unique to Houston that other folks may not have heard of and we are now in the season for it. Houston has one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the US and they have taken a shine to Cajun/Creole food. This time of the year there are Vietnamese crawfish boils going on. They use a lot of the same spices are Cajuns but add things like basil, lemongrass, a shit load of garlic, and limes instead of lemons. It may be available in other areas of the US now but it started here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Beef, lamb and turkey testicles.  Delicious.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't know if it's just a local thing or not but the first time I have seen it was when I moved here.
Coleslaw on everything, Hamburgers hotdogs, BBQ sandwich they all get a pile of nasty ass mayonnaise soaked cabbage piled on top of them.  
View Quote
"Mayonnaise soaked cabbage" is not coleslaw.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In the Chicago area, there's this thing called "pizza".  I've had it in some other areas, on some sort of pathetic thin flatbread with just a faint dusting of cheese.  I think those people may have had pizza described to them by telephone, but may have never actually seen one.  

On a more serious note - fried brain sandwiches are actually a thing in southern IN.  I haven't tried, and don't plan to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYnL_nN7-tc
View Quote
It may be perfectly delicious, but I think I would pass.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm close to Reno. So it's Basque Food.

You sit family style, you get a big ass salad (lettuce tomatoes, etc but also potatoes), big ass bowl of soup w chorizo in it, an appetizer(chorizo, calf brains, paella, pigs feet, etc.), platter of french fries and an entree that's either NY steaks,  lamb chops, tongue, oxtail stew, pork cutlet, roast chicken and ice cream or hard cheese for dessert. Sometimes flan or bread pudding.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Tell me more about the Koolaid pickles.
View Quote
nastiest thing i've ever tasted
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
NYC, so I've had tons of weird shit... Balut of course is up there, and the Asians get a lil nuts, but really the weirdest meal off the top of my head was beef bone marrow app and a kangaroo burger entree at some fake fancy place uptown. Weird.
View Quote
I used to like marrow when I was a kid, I would spread it on bread, but a few years ago I bought a marrow bone and cooked it.

It was not nearly as good as I remembered, and I won't be buying another one.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Jo Jos. Sliced potatoes dredged in chicken finger batter and deep fried.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

and Mountain Pies

you and one other, have 1 hour to eat a 20 diameter pizza that is very massive

The depth of this pizza is over 3 tall

It is stuffed with meats, cheese, and vegetables

It weighs in at around 14 pounds total

Prizes
Free Meal (if you eat the whole thing in the time allowed)

Free T-shirts

Pictures on Wall of Fame

$100 cash

View Quote
If each person has to eat seven pounds of pizza, I would say that it's a pretty safe bet for the house.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#36]
There is an Ethiopian restaurant near here, as well as a Peruvian restaurant.

So far I have managed to resist both of them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Crawdads, mudbugs, bass bait or what ever you want to call them.

To me that's the strangest thing in the world to eat not mention just plain nasty.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Jo Jos. Sliced potatoes dredged in chicken finger batter and deep fried.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/399736/BF933F2B-CD7D-481F-9182-DE4ABAA3D6FD_jpeg-898737.JPG
View Quote
The 'Jo Jos' I've seen are wedges of potato dredged and pressure fried like yours. Never seen them sliced.

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#40]
First Baptist Church Sunday potluck casserole. Ingredients may vary.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just realized, there is something unique to Houston that other folks may not have heard of and we are now in the season for it. Houston has one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the US and they have taken a shine to Cajun/Creole food. This time of the year there are Vietnamese crawfish boils going on. They use a lot of the same spices are Cajuns but add things like basil, lemongrass, a shit load of garlic, and limes instead of lemons. It may be available in other areas of the US now but it started here.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81824/44D20590-C627-44BC-ABDD-C676C4DC13F0_jpeg-898720.JPG
View Quote
That looks heavenly.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There is an Ethiopian restaurant near here, as well as a Peruvian restaurant.

So far I have managed to resist both of them.
View Quote
Ethiopian food is just UN grain shipments anyway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#43]
My area?  Probably crystal meth or heroin
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Slugburgers, basically a hamburger that the meat mixture is cut with soybean grits. It's a depression Era food that hung on till today. About a 50 mile circle in Northeast mississippi is the only place you'll find them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
It looks to me as if it can be pretty starchy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
It looks to me as if it can be pretty starchy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Navajo Tacos are probably the most regional thing I can think of... only northern NM and norther AZ.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/63/fe/7363fefe1db9d0861ef93142a35028e1.png
View Quote
Isnt that Fry Bread?

Anything special about Navajo Tacos vs "Indian Fry Bread" everywhere else?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I envy you guys that have neat regional food.

Here in Northern Virginia, dining out means driving to a strip mall featuring Outback, Logan's Steakhouse, or Red Robin, etc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Isnt that Fry Bread?

Anything special about Navajo Tacos vs "Indian Fry Bread" everywhere else?
View Quote
Navajo Taco is fry bread with all sorts of shit on top...
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top