User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s a solid number in 1998
View Quote
Oh please.  I live about a quarter of a mile from Microsoft, and I'd love to have a connection that fast.  Also, most of my friends would too.  If you live in a very tech area, you'll typically have slower connections due to the early adaptor problem.z
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've connected 20Mbps dsl before.  A homeowner isn't going to have a filter to do that if it isn't already.  And if his loop is 15,000ft plus, it isn't getting much better.
View Quote
When I had DSL I just used a standard cheapie jack fileter that I spliced into the line where it entered my house.  Rann a CAT3 line direct to the DSL modem connected to the line before the filter. Worked like a champ and gave much better UL/DL speeds.

You can also spend money and buy one like this that just snaps into your Telephone network interface box:

But yeah, if the loop is miles away that will be the limiting factor here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Oh please.  I live about a quarter of a mile from Microsoft, and I'd love to have a connection that fast.  Also, most of my friends would too.  If you live in a very tech area, you'll typically have slower connections due to the early adaptor problem.z
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That’s a solid number in 1998
I live in a very tech area and have 500mbps at home.

Gigabit coming this year, per Comcast. We'll see if they live up to that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I think my kids watch goes faster than that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just ran it again.

The Download Speed is 2.17Mbps and the Upload Speed is .46 Mbps.
View Quote
Slow, but still good enough to stream 720p video.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You know how I know op isn't a gamer or watches any digital media?

Sorry about your internet
View Quote
Thats more than plenty for games. Games need ping speeds way more than raw bandwidth.

Now video on the other hand....Well....He aint watchin hi def. In fact, youtube doesnt even like this guy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Depends on what you are paying for, If you pay for 10 and get 2.5 thats slow. If you pay for 2.5 and get 2.5 then you get what you are paying for.  Ask your provider.
I live on a 5 meg connection, can watch all the Prime I want in SD and the work from home wife can do all the remote vpn connectivity she needs.
View Quote
At my house the only source, aside from satellite, is ATT. The fastest they offer is an "up to 10Mbps" package that usually comes in closer to 3 depending on traffic due to bandwidth restrictions. When everyone on my road is sucking it up it is unbearably slow, late night and early morning it is usable but still slow. It sucks but at the moment I'm stuck with it, I tend to enjoy more time outdoors and away from devices when I'm home so it's probably a blessing in disguise.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I get about 3.6 average.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The average speed in the US is 93.98Mbps as of 2018.

2.5Mbps was slow even in the early 2000s.
View Quote
Very few live in "Average" internet areas.
We'll get anywhere from 9 to less than 1 on DSL and that is all we have. 2.5 seems a bit anemic though.
Fiber is supposed to be on the way with 400Mbs speeds. Quite the difference, but if you were to "average" it, we shoudl expect over 200Mbs right now, right?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I just checked my speed is 0.75 down and 0.26 up.

Edit with a 206 ping
Verizon 3 bars of LTE
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm rural and fired Frontier for charging me $60/month for 1.5mb down dsl and switched over to using a mobile carrier for $40/mo, so far so good and I see speeds of 5-20mbps down now.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Rural-internet--Alternative/5-2161887/
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is like 5.5.  It's slow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Mom and dad had a 10 year old DSL plan. It ran about that speed and buffered with amazon video. I called century link. They upgraded their phone plan and internet speed without a price increase. Bumped their speed up to 15 mbps i think.... Thats fast enough for a couple of devices running video.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
That's basically nearly unusable now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Gigabit masterrace here. Service that slow would drive me nuts OP
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
DSL is capable of 6Mbps - potentially.
View Quote

ADSL2+ which is probably what the OP is using is good up to about 20Mbps after overhead.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When I had DSL I just used a standard cheapie jack fileter that I spliced into the line where it entered my house.  Rann a CAT3 line direct to the DSL modem connected to the line before the filter. Worked like a champ and gave much better UL/DL speeds.

You can also spend money and buy one like this that just snaps into your Telephone network interface box:
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-51j4f4gi/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2610/4582/95S-1-11__59866.1314373186.jpg

View Quote
or just call your provider and have a tech come out and do it.

<----  20 year field telecom tech.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ADSL2+ which is probably what the OP is using is good up to about 20Mbps after overhead.
View Quote
Yep, and VDSL runs 50.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We'll get anywhere from 9 to less than 1 on DSL and that is all we have. 2.5 seems a bit anemic though.
Fiber is supposed to be on the way with 400Mbs speeds. Quite the difference, but if you were to "average" it, we shoudl expect over 200Mbs right now, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vast majority of Americans, population-wise, live in the "average" areas.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yep, and VDSL runs 50.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and VDSL runs 50.
Yeah good DSL is fine for most people.

After we got fiber availability though last year I don't think I could live somewhere that I couldn't get at least 300Mbps/100Mbps.  I mean since starting the backup from my house over my OpenVPN connection to my offline drive at the office around 9AM I've pushed 183Gb and counting at 130Mbps to my backup drive.  Both work and home internet are still completely usable as work has a 1Gbps/1Gbps connection.  It's not even noticeable actually that I'm doing anything.

If you're a gamer though nowadays with 50GB+ updates coming out every other week it seems for games DSL just isn't going to cut it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
You're the reason we can't embed .gifs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on how progressive your town is.  I live in a town of under 5K people but could get a 10Gbps+ synchronous fiber connection tomorrow if I wanted to pay for it.  Right now 1Gbps/250Mbps is $90/mo and 1Gbps/1Gbps is $250/mo.  It's not as cheap as ALLO in Lincoln, however, it's pretty damn cheap for our small town.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-51j4f4gi/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2610/4582/95S-1-11__59866.1314373186.jpg

Yeah our guy said anything past my ~1.5 wasn't going to happen as long as they weren't going to upgrade something or other down the line.

If you are unlucky and have Frontier for DSL (I think they started out with all the things that Verizon didn't want), then I doubt they are going to ever upgrade existing infrastructure, they seem to not give a crap in general and even less so about their old rural areas.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's pretty fuckin terrible. I'm thinking about upgrading to gigabit.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9057237794.png
View Quote
I've got gigabit at home and the only time it really makes a difference is software updates.  Honestly 50-100mb with today's online services is more than adequate for a home.  Now if there is some new service that comes out, that's a different story.  Somebody is I'm sure already working on some new awesome tech that will actually use 1gb home download speeds.

Well, then of course we'll deal with the same issues we always have.  Oversubscription will rear it's ugly head and everyone will slow down.

Pro tip:  Your ISP doesn't have enough backhaul or uplink capacity to give every customer all the bandwidth they are currently paying for all the time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're the reason we can't embed .gifs.
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah our guy said anything past my ~1.5 wasn't going to happen as long as they weren't going to upgrade something or other down the line.

If you are unlucky and have Frontier for DSL (I think they started out with all the things that Verizon didn't want), then I doubt they are going to ever upgrade existing infrastructure, they seem to not give a crap in general and even less so about their old rural areas.
View Quote
Yeah Verizon sold all of their local service areas except for Virginia to Massachusetts to Frontier.  Supposedly they are a subsidiary or partially owned by VZ.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#27]
On my phone in a cinder block hanger with metal roofing and 1 bar I get 8Mpbps.

At home on my router, under 100 and I'm calling my provider
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Its not great.  But if that's the best you have available..... Its not horrible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
This statement makes my head hurt. An impossible idea.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Source: https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/maps/connect2health/#ll=40,-95&z=4&t=broadband&bbm=fixed_access&dmf=none&zlt=county)
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's pretty fuckin terrible. I'm thinking about upgrading to gigabit.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9057237794.png
View Quote
234 down, and only 11 up?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#32]
at&t is 15 Mbps for DSL
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
DSL is capable of 6Mbps - potentially. It depends upon how far you are from the DSLAM.  It also depends on the quality of your wiring in your house.

Typical situation is that the DSL signal goes through the entire house tip and ring wiring and there is a filter on anything connected to a jact except the DSL modem/router. A better solution is to put the DSL filter at the service entrance - run a direct high quality (ethernet) wire to the modem and feed the house through the filter.  That should eliminate any issues from poor house wiring.

You need at least 4.5Mps to lives stream an HD movie.
View Quote
DSL can be around 35 Mbps with standard equipment and decent lines
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Frontier still sells an 864k down plan, and I've installed it several times recently. You can stream Netflix with no problem according to the salesman
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He should have said median instead of average.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

DSL can be around 35 Mbps with standard equipment and decent lines
View Quote
And short loop length, like 5000ft or less.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#37]
That's about what my speeds are on my att hotspot. Its fast enough to stream netflix without buffering but the quality goes in and out
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Fiber optic master race.

I was sitting at 2 upload and .8 download before fiber.

It's at 800 and 1000 now :)

It's a shame its not available everywhere yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Doing better than I am, OP!

Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Get a netgear nighthawk m1, the external outdoor antenna.  Beam style and point it towards a cell tower.
Along with a tplink ac1750 router.
Theres maps online shows tower locations.

Thenngo on ebay and buy a grandfathered ATT buisness account for 35$. Pay the 35$ a month for internet.
Depending on how congested the cell tower is, i have seen speeds over 250mps sometimes alot higher.

This the solution i replaced my parents dsl with and even dropped expensive xfinity at my house.
View Quote
I've looked into this but that router is $350.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just ran a speed test on my internet service and it's showing 2.5mbps.....I'm out in the sticks so it's DSL.....no fiber optic lines here.

My question is, for a typical DSL setup, is 2.5 normal?

Tony Rumore
Tromix
View Quote
When I lived outside of Guthrie, the only internet we could get was satellite and long-distance wifi.  The wireless ISP shot us a wifi signal about 13 miles.  When we left six years ago, we were getting 12 Mbps down.  I imagine its faster now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#43]
My mom was getting 0.75 Mbps over her DSL, which is what she was paying for as well (over $80/month for is also). One of the huge disadvantages of country living.
Very poor cell reception, so that was not an option either.
It worked well enough for her needs most of the time (e-mail, basic web browsing). If she wanted to download something or watch a video, she would start it and walk off, come back about 10-15 minutes later and watch it.

She moved and now has a 100 Mbps plan (gets 120 all the time though) and does not know what to do with all that speed. I actually had to get her a new computer because I never realized how slow the computer was because I thought it was just the slow internet, but it was the whole computer.

I have a 65 Mbps plan, and recently noticed my speeds have jumped from 65-70 now up to 90.  More speed than I need as well even with 2 streaming TV's, 2 teens on their phones, an x-box as well as a few tablets and computers, but for $40/month, I am ok with it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That and LECs don't have much interest in upgrading plant in rural markets. Where I work, in a small city in a rural area. Max DSL is 6mb, the cable company is getting 300mb even in the sticks.
View Quote
Same here.  Our telecom has to move our plant on the poles so a competitor can place fiber on it in our main area.  We ain't doing resdential fiber around here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Slow.

I usually don't bother with less than 100Mbps if I can help it.

Stayed in an adobe igloo in Big Bend area (middle of nowhere), guy had it wired for satellite internet, was able to get good speeds, could stream music/hd videos.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I couldn’t even read through the first page of this thread before getting really sad. I haven’t run anything less that 100MBps (to my router; some loss of that over WiFi) up and down  since 2012... 2.5Mbps (or 2.5MBps) would mean I’d just go to the library and check out a book.

Sorry to hear you can’t get fiber where you are at and best of luck!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Frontier still sells an 864k down plan, and I've installed it several times recently. You can stream Netflix with no problem according to the salesman
View Quote
Frontier told me they didn't service my area, until I sent them a picture of their ped on my property easement.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#49]
I have 2 options since dialup is gone. Dish network or the like and latency is shit, to upload a 10 min video to YT on dish it would take 3 days.

DSL here is 10.17 and upload is .61

Its really poor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a netgear nighthawk m1, the external outdoor antenna.  Beam style and point it towards a cell tower.
Along with a tplink ac1750 router.
Theres maps online shows tower locations.

Thenngo on ebay and buy a grandfathered ATT buisness account for 35$. Pay the 35$ a month for internet.
Depending on how congested the cell tower is, i have seen speeds over 250mps sometimes alot higher.

This the solution i replaced my parents dsl with and even dropped expensive xfinity at my house.
How much do you pay per month now for crap speed.
That nighthawk will pay for itself in 3 months with 100x dl/up speed increase, and you can take it anywhere with you.
350$ is pennys when it comes to quality internet speed.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top