Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
They do have a lot of memes.

ETA:

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Swift driver was a patient of my wife’s.
According to him…..

Sure
Wish
I
Finished
Training
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Was always CRST around here.
Crash and roll stunt truck everybody called them
Truck drivers are not the drivers..
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Part of my job includes plowing snow so I see a lot of highway miles in bad winter weather...

Its not necessarily the drivers or the companies, but wiggle wagons and winter just not friends. I see a lot of them tipped over along the interstate.
View Quote

After following a set of UPS triples through southern Utah one winter, I wholly agree with your statement.  Trailer #3 spent most it's time in the adjoining lane due to winds and icy roads.  No way for me to pass and I spent the entire distance on I-15 between the I-70 junction and the AZ state line at 40mph stuck behind that truck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure you follow swift.best.in.crash on Instagram. Kind of a parody of the "Best In Class" decal on the side of their trucks/trailers.

It's exactly what you think it is.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What trucking companies drivers are the worst on the road? I know Swift isn't highly regarded. Any other companies that have a reputation for hiring idiot drivers?
View Quote
Swift is just the biggest, so they have the most idiot drivers simply by numbers. I was a Swift driver for 5 years. And I got no high praise for the company, don't get me wrong, But all the majors, Swift, Knight, Werner, et al, all have to hire drivers straight from school simply because the 1 year retention rate for a new driver hovers around ~10% and even less for 3 years, simply because the job sucks and the pay is nowhere near commensurate with the suckage. That's just a fact. Turnover for the big carriers often approaches 300% annually.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I drive a tractor trailer every day mostly in the Atlanta metro area. I pull a pneumatic tanker hauling dry bulk concrete ingredients, and typically log 2000- 3000 miles each week. Truck will do 73mph, which I’m happy with.  

Most of the Swift drivers are very new to driving. Same with JB Hunt, Werner, Knight, Hub Group, etc., so I’m not just picking on Swift specifically. It’s a training issue. Many of their “trainers” haven’t been driving for very long either. Their trucks are governed at 65mph typically, and they’re taught to stay in the center lane so that they always have a way out. Thus they camp out there and become a giant rock in the middle of a rushing river, creating an unsafe condition for everyone, including them.

99% of the time they don’t have a CB in the truck, so you can’t politely inform them that they’re being asshats. I don’t hate on anyone for being a newbie or for having a slow truck. But fuck, keep it in the right lane where it belongs. You either have to pass them on the right or smoke them in the hammer lane and risk a left lane violation in some areas. Or just suck it up and run 65 behind them and make the issue worse by becoming part of the problem. I’ve driven trucks governed at 63-65mph and had more close calls in those slow ass trucks than I ever did in a truck that could do 80mph.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They do have a lot of memes.

View Quote

That's actually a pretty impressive fuck up, and I'm kinda curious how the driver pulled that off.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Roughly half of new drivers don't make it past the training on the road, with a new CDL and a mentor. Swift requires 240 hours of team driving with a mentor before you are turned loose with your own truck, and they have a hard time getting experienced drivers willing to be a mentor. And like half or more new drivers don't even make that, and never get their own truck. More than half of those that complete the OJT, quit within a year because of how much the life on the road sucks, and more than half of those that remain are gone within 3 years. I don't mean they move on to a better company, they just bail on the whole scene, because of how much it sucks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's actually a pretty impressive fuck up, and I'm kinda curious how the driver pulled that off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I bet that the driver didn't lock in the trailer axles after repositioning them. Then he hit the brakes on the highway, and out they flew.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Worst I've seen was a company out of Chicago that hired only Russians.  Anywhere in IL if I saw one of their trucks I'd do what I could to stay the f*uck away from them.  Every one of their trucks had the corner quarter sections of its front bumper torn off from hitting a parked vehicle or object trying to fit someplace the truck could not fit.

The best one I saw one of their drivers do was at a truck stop in southern IL.  The driver tore the piss out of a truck parked next to the spot he was trying to back into.  The driver got out and was talking to the driver of the truck he hit, doing the usual accident information exchange.

The offender remarked he needed to get his wallet out of the truck and climbed in "to get the wallet".  He took off, cutting hard into the damaged truck, completely ripping off the hood.  Then his trailer hit another truck flying out the exit of the truck stop, heading south on I-57.  He made it to the interstate, watched by a bunch of people while calling 911.

His plan must have been to hide at the truck stop at the next exit, because before the cops got to the first driver he hit he had rolled his truck trying to take that exit too fast.  I'm sure he had his license taken or that day's destruction, but he probably bought another one at the crooked IL DMV office where he bought his first license.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Basically, the reward for a mentor when I started over a decade ago was:
1. They could run as a team, so the mileage was almost double. But, the first fifty hours, the mentor had to sit in the right seat, so that wasn't really a full run hard situation, what with sleep needs and all.
2. Drivers on probation got a flat salary, like 450 a weak, not mileage. The mentor got full mileage. Most were O/Os, though so they were totally risking their own truck and livelihood to some dumbass fresh from a trucking school.
3. After a noob successfully completed 240 hours of mentorship, and was driving his own truck, the mentor got like a nickel a mile for each paid mile the noob drove, for six months, assuming the new driver lasted that long, and a hell of a lot of them, maybe even most, simply didn't.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Swift driver was a patient of my wife’s.
According to him…..

Sure
Wish
I
Finished
Training
View Quote

Somalis
Wanted
Immediately
Fuck
Training
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My mentor was Wyatt Knight's (Porky's) brother, btw. Swift O/O.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bet that the driver didn't lock in the trailer axles after repositioning them. Then he hit the brakes on the highway, and out they flew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw one just like that that ended up being a murder-suicide. Some dick bag just couldn't handle the fact that his wife was leaving him so he jerked the wheel into oncoming traffic. Missed the truck but went under the trailer and blew the tandems off, killed them both.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Worst I've seen was a company out of Chicago that hired only Russians.  Anywhere in IL if I saw one of their trucks I'd do what I could to stay the f*uck away from them.  Every one of their trucks had the corner quarter sections of its front bumper torn off from hitting a parked vehicle or object trying to fit someplace the truck could not fit.

The best one I saw one of their drivers do was at a truck stop in southern IL.  The driver tore the piss out of a truck parked next to the spot he was trying to back into.  The driver got out and was talking to the driver of the truck he hit, doing the usual accident information exchange.

The offender remarked he needed to get his wallet out of the truck and climbed in "to get the wallet".  He took off, cutting hard into the damaged truck, completely ripping off the hood.  Then his trailer hit another truck flying out the exit of the truck stop, heading south on I-57.  He made it to the interstate, watched by a bunch of people while calling 911.

His plan must have been to hide at the truck stop at the next exit, because before the cops got to the first driver he hit he had rolled his truck trying to take that exit too fast.  I'm sure he had his license taken or that day's destruction, but he probably bought another one at the crooked IL DMV office where he bought his first license.
View Quote
That Russian from Chicago... He was driving a Volvo, wasn't he?

All of the Russians drive Volvos.

Every. Single. One.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Every. Single. One.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every. Single. One.

I drove 2 Fartliners, a Kenny, and two Vulvas, and I liked the Volvos the most. It was just more roomy and nice. The Fartliner Cascadias were cramped, the Kenny (disclaimer: it had 500K on the clock, so my opinion wasn't like objective) was a hoopty jalopy and the sleeper berth shook like a 70s motel bed vibrator when idling, and though the Vulvas were high mileage too, the hotel aspects were much better, IMO. They all had Cummins engines...no wait, I think the Kenny had a Detroit Diesel, but I only had that one for ~3 months.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#21]
My mentor had an IH, which did not have any DPF crap and that was sweet. IH had some sort of exemption so they weren't required to have the DEF/DPF shit for like three years after the others.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I think Walmart is the only national company that seems to consistently have normal and courteous truck drivers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I drove 2 Fartliners, a Kenny, and two Vulvas, and I liked the Volvos the most. It was just more roomy and nice. The Fartliner Cascadias were cramped, the Kenny (disclaimer: it had 500K on the clock, so my opinion wasn't like objective) was a hoopty jalopy, and though the Vulvas were high mileage too, the hotel aspects were much better, IMO. They all had Cummins engines...no wait, I think the Kenny had a Detroit Diesel, but I only had that one for ~3 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every. Single. One.

I drove 2 Fartliners, a Kenny, and two Vulvas, and I liked the Volvos the most. It was just more roomy and nice. The Fartliner Cascadias were cramped, the Kenny (disclaimer: it had 500K on the clock, so my opinion wasn't like objective) was a hoopty jalopy, and though the Vulvas were high mileage too, the hotel aspects were much better, IMO. They all had Cummins engines...no wait, I think the Kenny had a Detroit Diesel, but I only had that one for ~3 months.
Agreed. Volvo truck is best truck. I don't want no ugly ass 379.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Something about flatbeds and Peterbilts turns the driver into an asshole, and prevents the truck from being parked properly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#25]

A SWIFT moving truck? Ho Lee Fuk
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think Walmart is the only national company that seems to consistently have normal and courteous truck drivers.
View Quote

My last 18 months I pulled reefers out of the Walmart DC 6072 in Moberly. Walmart tractors are all drop and hook dry goods vans; they contract the meat, produce, and dairy DCs to Swift, Werner and Hunt. Walmart tractors haul 53' foot vans, drop and hook, and are on their way, no muss and no fuss, and they pay well, and their drivers are home regularly, so they have a mellow life. Walmart contracts the shit routes to third parties.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

S-Somalis
W-Wanted
I-Immediately
F-Fuck
T-Training
View Quote

Those fuckers can't back to a dock worth a shit, even with one of the two team drivers ground guiding. Trucking, at least OTR and port drayage are on a race to the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Sure wish I had finished training?
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Somalis and Slavic tracksuit wearing types, with some Indians thrown in just for the hell of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over the last couple of years I've noticed the most reckless driving coming from Amazon contractors. I've seen 2 of their trucks rolled over in the last 3 or 4 months.

Somalis and Slavic tracksuit wearing types, with some Indians thrown in just for the hell of it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had one pull in front of me and I creamed his truck at 55 mph. I'm grateful for my dash camera, the cop wanted to cite me until he saw the video.

eta. He had the tracksuit uniform and flip-flops with white socks. When he got out of his truck I said outloud to myself "you gotta be fucking kidding me" when I saw what he was wearing.
View Quote

Not currently working, but a CDL A driver by trade. If you like to people watch and marvel at some of the sorriest looking examples of humanity, hang out at a truck stop or big box store DC shipping/receiving dept.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Truck driving, which used to be a cool way to make a living, has gradually transformed into one of the most miserable jobs in existence. Same with driving for Amazon, Fed Ex, etc. You not only have the nightmare of electronic logbooks, you can't scratch an itch without it being recorded by the "eye in the sky" linked back to corporate. Slow down, speed up, stop to pee, anything.... and a light comes on and a report generated in an office somewhere.
Now, companies like Swift are so desperate for drivers they're hiring anybody with a pulse, fresh out of Bubba's Truck Driving School ("Sign up now! Get your CDL in 2 weeks!!!").  
A sad end to a once-proud profession.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I know Swift isn't highly regarded.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

After following a set of UPS triples through southern Utah one winter, I wholly agree with your statement.  Trailer #3 spent most it's time in the adjoining lane due to winds and icy roads.  No way for me to pass and I spent the entire distance on I-15 between the I-70 junction and the AZ state line at 40mph stuck behind that truck.
View Quote

He was supposed to drop the third trailer and con gear at the first available off ramp when it got icy and windy- Utah law.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Walmart dry goods drivers, the only kind that work directly for Walmart, never have to stand outside the back door in driving wintry mix, trying to get someone to let them in so they can get unloaded and move on to the next store 150 miles away. They haul a full van of non-perishable shit from the DC to the store, put it in a door, and grab an empty, then go back to their DC, drop the empty and go home. The grocery DCs do not operate that way. Just before I said fuck it, I was out 26 weeks straight, 2-3 runs a week, 2-3 stores per run, plus backhauls here and there, like meat from Tyson in Milwaukee and Cedar Rapids, or Egglands best in Iowa, etc. That's why they contract them out to the majors that have a supply of dumbasses from Bulgaria that will put up with that shit.

They do pay all miles, not just loaded, so that's nice.

Miles. Miles are not odometer miles, in case you have never drove OTR. The miles are BH&G moving guide miles, which are from map center to map center, so it is sometimes good, and sometimes bad.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I heard flatbed drivers are not well regarded
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1. They could run as a team, so the mileage was almost double. But, the first fifty hours, the mentor had to sit in the right seat, so that wasn't really a full run hard situation, what with sleep needs and all.
2. Drivers on probation got a flat salary, like 450 a weak, not mileage. The mentor got full mileage. Most were O/Os, though so they were totally risking their own truck and livelihood to some dumbass fresh from a trucking school.
3. After a noob successfully completed 240 hours of mentorship, and was driving his own truck, the mentor got like a nickel a mile for each paid mile the noob drove, for six months, assuming the new driver lasted that long, and a hell of a lot of them, maybe even most, simply didn't.
View Quote

Im my experience, the whole dispatch training trucks as solos so the trainer can sit in the jump seat to monitor the student and have training discussions goes out the fucking window after week 1. After that dispatch says "hey, we got a trainer/student truck that can haul that hot load to Phoenix by 0800 tomorrow morning". Then it becomes just two guys teaming with no training/lectures and proper rest.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I saw a Swift trailer yesterday with the hows my driving number spray painted over.  I el oh el'd because of the previous threads/comments on the swift trucks on this forum.
View Quote

I used to drive a service vehicle ~45k a year. One afternoon, my boss calls me and starts reaming my ass about my driving. I had him slow his roll, and asked him what it was about, as he was both feet in my ass without telling me why.
He said a trucker called him and said I cut him off. Apparently the guy cussed him. I asked him how many calls he had on me in 6 years, and he said this was the first. He proceeded to jump again, and I hung up on him.
Finally got him to take the name and number off, after one of the guys was caught in an insurance scam with a set up accident. They targeted vehicles with company names on the side, because they knew they had insurance.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I heard flatbed drivers are not well regarded
View Quote
They are well retarded... I mean regarded... In their own minds
They can't back up a truck worth a shit

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nice edit.

While I have a CDL, I don’t drive for knight swift. Or even drive.  

You must be new here. I’m the resident SME on fuels, oils and greases. As I own one of the largest oil distribution companies in the US.  You being in OH, you’ve 1. Seen my trucks.  2. Have used products I’ve supplied.

I just know a lot about the trucking industry as I own a fairly large fleet.  ~100 CDL vehicles,  over 200 plated vehicles.  So I follow the trucking world closely.

Swift, now Knight-Swift makes a lot of public mistakes because they’re the largest OTR fleet, essentially, that is non specialized freight.

Most dangerous fleets are technically garbage trucks. They fucking smash everything. Every day.

Statistically speaking.
View Quote

As a trash truck driver....I can attest to this. We are pros at tearing shit up. Not only do wear tear shit up...we total it out...or make sure half the damn city has no power for a couple hours.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Slow
Wagons
In
Fast
Traffic

Stevie
Wonder
Institute
For
Trucking
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#41]
-Next time you are at a Walmart, drive around back on your way out. There are usually three/four doors, with two trailers occupying two of them, 53' dry vans. One of those is is normally empty, fully unloaded, and the other is either full or partially unloaded. The stuff in those vans isn't time sensitive, you see. So a walmart driver just has to drop his full trailer, hook the empty, drop that, rehook the full trailer, and put it in the door where the empty was, then rehook the empty and be on his way. He doesn't even need to deal with anyone in the store most times. Four door stores don't even require the drop and hook dance. Just put the full in the open door, and grab the empty and go.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Stevie
Wonders
Institute
For
Trucking
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Im my experience, the whole dispatch training trucks as solos so the trainer can sit in the jump seat to monitor the student and have training discussions goes out the fucking window after week 1. After that dispatch says "hey, we got a trainer/student truck that can haul that hot load to Phoenix by 0800 tomorrow morning". Then it becomes just two guys teaming with no training/lectures and proper rest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not widely acknowledged, but true. And it often resulted in some lovely crashes. And there's also a required backing sheet, like so many angle backs, so many straight backs to park, and so many backs into a door. The pencil-whipping was epic. "Yep he did 20 angle backs at truck stops, honest!"
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

While maybe true my dad is an owner operator you should hear all the stories he tells me of those drivers backing into other trucks at the pilots alone lol
View Quote

Swift pays for training. As a result a large amount of their drivers are new and that's why they largely suck. The guys pulling for Amazon seem to be giving them a run for their money in the suckage department though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Werner
Schneider
Swift

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#46]
My dad used to work for a now out of business trucking company, Deaton

I can remember using the restroom at one of their hubs, and on the wall was written:

"If you want to quit eatin' go to work for Deaton"
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nice edit.

While I have a CDL, I don't drive for knight swift. Or even drive.  

You must be new here. I'm the resident SME on fuels, oils and greases. As I own one of the largest oil distribution companies in the US.  You being in OH, you've 1. Seen my trucks.  2. Have used products I've supplied.

I just know a lot about the trucking industry as I own a fairly large fleet.  ~100 CDL vehicles,  over 200 plated vehicles.  So I follow the trucking world closely.

Swift, now Knight-Swift makes a lot of public mistakes because they're the largest OTR fleet, essentially, that is non specialized freight.

Most dangerous fleets are technically garbage trucks. They fucking smash everything. Every day.

Statistically speaking.
View Quote

JJ McTruckerface I'm guessing
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#48]
It's fun to stand out in driving sleet, leaning on the door buzzer button, peeking in at 4 people blithely going about their business like the deaf on parade, until you finally have to call the dispatcher to call the store to get whichever grocery dept asst mgr has the duty to come let you in. Policy is they are supposed to start you getting unloaded within ten minutes of arrival. LOL, yeah, right.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Someone post what Swift spelled backwards stands for
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I saw a Swift trailer yesterday with the hows my driving number spray painted over.  I el oh el'd because of the previous threads/comments on the swift trucks on this forum.
View Quote

I don't drive for Swift and never have but I do use a sharpie to change 3's into 8's and 5's into 6's on anything with one of those on the back before I leave the terminal. Karen calling and telling whoever answers that you're driving "dangerously" because you passed her while she was doing 40 mph in a 55 mph zone is a real thing.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top