Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Nope. The F/A-18 is still my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The Hornet is sexy but the F-16 is a smashing success of a plane.

Phantoms have a lot more kills of course but they also got shot down quite a bit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote
Well, you didn't post a picture of one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the main role of the 16 vs the 15?  I want to say the 15 is our dogfighter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am not sure about your argument. The F-86 had more units produced and more countries buying it but the latter is close and about to eclipse the F-86 in terms of countries utilizing it. And there are less fighters in service in general than in the 1950s and 1960s. And the F-16 is still selling,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Define successful and comparison to other fighter jets?   There have been many more jets made with more air and air kills (not ratio) than the F-16 just to name one variable.

There are too may variables.  It is a very successful jet fighter.  But you  have define successful in comparison to others.

The F-4 Phantom has the most air to air kills of supersonic jets but not at the kill ratio of the F-16.

The F-86 sabre has the most air to air kills of any jet.
I am not sure about your argument. The F-86 had more units produced and more countries buying it but the latter is close and about to eclipse the F-86 in terms of countries utilizing it. And there are less fighters in service in general than in the 1950s and 1960s. And the F-16 is still selling,
he's talking about kill's and kill ratios. If we make 10 million copies of a jet, and they all get shot down while not shooting down a single opposing aircraft would it be the most successful? I sure dont think so.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Since the F-16 first flew 16 years after the F-4, one would expect it to be superior.
View Quote
The F16 is also a “boomer” plane

Makes me sad ?? when I think about the future of America being left in the hands of people who think  like that .
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That is a bad ass looking Mig 21 !
View Quote
MIG21 the other not as cool not as capable fighter .
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Fantastic airplane.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Mig-21 has killed an F-16 in combat.
Happened last year in combat between India & Pakistan.
I posted the link on the first page.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, you didn't post a picture of one.
View Quote
its winking at you
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
@bullf-16

Got any thoughts ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
It was may favorite plane, also my favorite incentive ride - Zaragosa, Spain, 1989, tail # 84-1326. My friend and I got rides after we tried to get Capt Dave Wilmot out of his jet when it had crashed and was burning. He was stuck inside.

Capt Wilmot's plane at Hahn. The damage on the left leading edge was from taking out the light poles before the runway threshold. The cockpit snapping like that had sheared the SMDC lines so the canopy could not jettison.

My ride. I'm in the back seat, obviously. Empty barf bag too.

I'm on the left

Day 1, Gulf War. Our squadron jet painted up

Me with some Mk20 Rockeyes

Mk84s all the way across. I can't remember what fuze we put in them, but they detonated 15 feet above the ground
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
F-16 is one sexy looking bird. They never seem to get old, and age like fine wine.
View Quote
Indeed, its beauty never fades.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No the ME 109 was not a jet , you are thinnking of an ME262 .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ME109 jet?
Below is the post you failed to include in your quote. Read it, then read the thread title.

Quoted:
OP if you are going by production numbers the mig 21 & Me 109 are the most successful
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Define successful and comparison to other fighter jets?   There have been many more jets made with more air and air kills (not ratio) than the F-16 just to name one variable.

There are too may variables.  It is a very successful jet fighter.  But you  have define successful in comparison to others.

The F-4 Phantom has the most air to air kills of supersonic jets but not at the kill ratio of the F-16.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Love the F16. A few years ago I was finishing an oil change, glanced outside and saw a bald eagle fly over the loading dock-8 feet off the ground, probably 40 feet from me. Flew to a power pole outside the parking lot and just before it left I heard  jets flying over...loudly. Looked up and saw a pair of F16s heading south. Definitely an "America! Fuck yeah!" moment, even if they were two unarmed National Guard planes travelling from unit to unit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Never been a phan.
View Quote
heheh
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@bullf-16

Got any thoughts ?
View Quote
None Greasy but thanks for the mention.  Today is Valentines Day and two years ago i was in intensive care with Regina looking at all the fucked up tubes ran down her throat.  At least she was with her kids and all  her students that day.  19 Feb is gonna suck worse.  What the fuck ever.

Last thing I give a shit about is a fighter thread in GD.  Though they usually are fun.  Not for a while here.

Thanks for thinking of me brother.  Kittehs are more awesome than ever...they bring joy.

My boy is invited to the Arnold Invitational in Columbus Oh to compete in the squat challenge.  He did 430 x 14 reps two days ago in preparation. The competition is twice your body weight for reps.  His goal is to be 205lbs at weight in and do 410lbs 18 or so reps.  Insane.  My Regina did good with her two kids.

Too depressed lately to even hog hunt...how sad is that.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what's wrong with this post. I would say that a case could be made for either the F-4 or F-86 since the F-16 has never been tested in a "true" air war with a near peer enemy like the Vietnamese or Norks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Selling and giving away a  bunch of monkey model export versions to 2nd rate air forces around the globe doesn't make it better than the 15.  Everything the 16 does, the 15 does better.
View Quote
I agree. My definition of “best fighter” would be which one would an opponent be most hesitant to engage. My money would be on the F-15 winning that bet since aviation started. In other words, has any fighter been as totally dominate in the skies and for so long as the F-15?

Even it on the ground the 15 looks like a hungry predator.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lawn dart FTMFW
View Quote
You have to have to flown it in combat to shit on the Viper.  What is your experience in the so called "lawn dart"  just fucking curious.

It took care of me and my family and the USA.  Im in a shitty mood, apoligise in advance

Jim
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has the Air Force given an F-16 a "Colonial Viper" paint scheme?
View Quote
Not that I could find.

Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Below is the post you failed to include in your quote. Read it, then read the thread title.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ME109 jet?

Quoted:
OP if you are going by production numbers the mig 21 & Me 109 are the most successful
Silly Boy , I was answering the jet question , thanks anyway .
Semper Fi !
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#25]
This should be an F-15 thread.

Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
you are a bona fide faggot
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Mig-21 has killed an F-16 in combat.
Happened last year in combat between India & Pakistan.
I posted the link on the first page.
View Quote
Gee a F16 ,  you do realize the F16 has a substantially greater combat record right ?

Not as good as the F4 but it’s still a really good combat record
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is the main role of the 16 vs the 15?  I want to say the 15 is our dogfighter.
View Quote
Que the "Wrong" Trump" meme.  The Eagle's fortay is BVR.  Merge with a Viper and the Eagle is hurting .
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#29]
They have always been my favorite cause they look so sweet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
We now have Romanian trainees here at ENJJPT.  They are all going to the Fishbed after graduation.  It is a fukking cool jet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Thanks for posting that

legendary music and video
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There were over 11,000 MiG 21 produced, plus 2400 Chinese Chengdu J-7 copies.
Close to triple the number of F-16's
I guess it depends on your definition of success.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/MiG-21_Lancer_C_cropped.jpg
View Quote
LOL

awesome
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh....to employ both working America's business....  better days for sure.  Or maybe not such better days...
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn you @GreasyEasy

now my brain is itching!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Think good thoughts Bullf-16.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It was may favorite plane, also my favorite incentive ride - Zaragosa, Spain, 1989, tail # 84-1326. My friend and I got rides after we tried to get Capt Dave Wilmot out of his jet when it had crashed and was burning. He was stuck inside.

Capt Wilmot's plane at Hahn. The damage on the left leading edge was from taking out the light poles before the runway threshold. The cockpit snapping like that had sheared the SMDC lines so the canopy could not jettison.
https://i.imgur.com/FdCAX4P.jpg

My ride. I'm in the back seat, obviously. Empty barf bag too.
https://i.imgur.com/nZ2oRW7l.jpg

I'm on the left
https://i.imgur.com/fpMSDlRl.jpg

Day 1, Gulf War. Our squadron jet painted up
https://i.imgur.com/dfaAZz0l.jpg

Me with some Mk20 Rockeyes
https://i.imgur.com/ODTCFool.jpg

Mk84s all the way across. I can't remember what fuze we put in them, but they detonated 15 feet above the ground
https://i.imgur.com/LjLsuhzl.jpg
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Think good thoughts Bullf-16.
View Quote
I call it Faith man!  Thanks and always do.  But sometimes I wallow in crap.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Oh....to employ both working America's business....  better days for sure.  Or maybe not such better days...
View Quote
Better days are the ones you have!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
None Greasy but thanks for the mention.  Today is Valentines Day and two years ago i was in intensive care with Regina looking at all the fucked up tubes ran down her throat.  At least she was with her kids and all  her students that day.  19 Feb is gonna suck worse.  What the fuck ever.

Last thing I give a shit about is a fighter thread in GD.  Though they usually are fun.  Not for a while here.

Thanks for thinking of me brother.  Kittehs are more awesome than ever...they bring joy.

My boy is invited to the Arnold Invitational in Columbus Oh to compete in the squat challenge.  He did 430 x 14 reps two days ago in preparation. The competition is twice your body weight for reps.  His goal is to be 205lbs at weight in and do 410lbs 18 or so reps.  Insane.  My Regina did good with her two kids.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@bullf-16

Got any thoughts ?

I will be thinking about you Bull.

take care of yourself brother.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#44]
The first time I saw one was at Luke AFB in '76 or '77. I was on the tarmac in front of some hangars when the sound of a jet at full tilt came rolling into view. It left the runway and immediately leveled for a second, then went into an unrestricted climb. Jaw dropping.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
No, F18 is sexier.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would have thought the F-5E Tiger II sold more but the F-16 series is still in production.

EDIT - Wiki only says a little over 2,000 F-5s were made, I would have thought it was a lot more as many air forces flew them
View Quote
The F4 served more and more were made than the F5, and a guess the F16 blows both out of the water. The other popular old school airframe was the F104, but again, the Viper wins by miles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Cancer stricken F-16 is best F-16.

I don’t know why but the F-16 with the Dorsal Spine and CFTs and all the other electro optical and EW shit hanging off it is so sexy.

It’s not sleek by any means but she looks so mean.
View Quote
Yeah, because sensors and BVR is where its at.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
I mean it is a Navy bird... Not judging...
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That is a bad ass looking Mig 21 !
View Quote
Yeah, the Mig-21 updates are pretty cool. Not bad for a 50 year old design.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
Equal sex.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top