BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dammit man, I can't read that.
My ASHRAE books are in Freedom Units, not Maple Syrup per Moose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dammit man, I can't read that.
My ASHRAE books are in Freedom Units, not Maple Syrup per Moose.
Welcome to ... communism.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And it's not an ATM machine, but most folks don't need therapy after hearing either one.  YMMV.
View Quote

This is GD, we are not "most folks".
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Under normal operation, cold water enters the tank, and is more or less instantly brought up to tank temp without the tank doing any work. When the tank drops to 2-3 degrees below thermostat temp, it heats the water.

If the thermostat is set to 120, it's heating the tank water when it is 117-118 degrees. 117 degree water is hot. Thus, it is a hot water heater.
View Quote

Rubber vagina heating machine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Then the function would be a Hot Water Source would it not?  Or if the function is to heat the water,  then... Water Heater?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Under normal operation, cold water enters the tank, and is more or less instantly brought up to tank temp without the tank doing any work. When the tank drops to 2-3 degrees below thermostat temp, it heats the water.

If the thermostat is set to 120, it's heating the tank water when it is 117-118 degrees. 117 degree water is hot. Thus, it is a hot water heater.

Agreed.

In addition, the term also clearly defines its purpose.

What does it do?

It heats the hot water for your home's hot water service.

This is different, say, from a water heater that heats your water for a cup of tea or cocoa. Or, the heater for an outdoor pool

A home can have many water heaters.

But, the hot water heater? It's for the home's hot water supply.

What if I pour hot water into the coffee machine?  Does it now magically transform into a hot water heater?
What about a pool in summer,  does it now become a hot pool water heater?

The function is to add heat, as required, to bring water to a preset temperature.  Thus, Water Heater!

No, of course not. Did you read what I posted?

Pouring hot water into a coffee machine doesn't magically make it the device that provides your home's hot water supply.

The function is to provide a source of hot water to the home. It dose this by use of a heater. Thus, hot water heater.

Then the function would be a Hot Water Source would it not?  Or if the function is to heat the water,  then... Water Heater?

Hot water source heater would work, but seems plenty implied with just "hot water heater."
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
For the argument to be valid please define the threshold at which water is hot, otherwise you're just heating water from one temperature to another.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you supply to the black box known as a water heater?  hot water or just room temperature water.

if you were arguing that it is a "water heater" and a "hot water re-heater", you might have some logic upon which to stand.

otherwise, tis just a water heater...it heats cold, warm, and hot water...

or to prove it to yourself, drain it and let it sit for a week...were it a "hot water heater", you would necessarily need to preheat the water before supplying it to the unit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What do you supply to the black box known as a water heater?  hot water or just room temperature water.

if you were arguing that it is a "water heater" and a "hot water re-heater", you might have some logic upon which to stand.

otherwise, tis just a water heater...it heats cold, warm, and hot water...

or to prove it to yourself, drain it and let it sit for a week...were it a "hot water heater", you would necessarily need to preheat the water before supplying it to the unit.
View Quote

No, you wouldn't need to heat anything if it weren't for your hot water needs. There's no heater for your cold water supply.

There are three commonly used terms for water heating devices in many households, each with a widely understood use, and just enough distinction to eliminate confusion.

Kettle/Electric kettle - heats up drinking water for tea or coffee or what not.
Swimming pool heater - heats up pool water.
Hot water heater - heats up your hot water supply.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope.
If you heat hot water, you get steam.
If its not a pressure vessel, you got bigger problems than semantics.

What's that? Sounds like a whistle. Last call for the fail boat?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hot water source heater would work, but seems plenty implied with just "hot water heater."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

What does it do?

This is different, say, from a water heater that heats your water for a cup of tea or cocoa. Or, the heater for an outdoor pool

What if I pour hot water into the coffee machine?  Does it now magically transform into a hot water heater?

The function is to add heat, as required, to bring water to a preset temperature.  Thus, Water Heater!

Pouring hot water into a coffee machine doesn't magically make it the device that provides your home's hot water supply.

The function is to provide a source of hot water to the home. It dose this by use of a heater. Thus, hot water heater.

In your example, there is no need to specify that it is a heater.  It simply is a source of hot water,  it could be coming from a natural occurring hot spring, etc.

By specifying Heater we are saying that it is a unit intended to raise the temperature from Not-Hot, up to Hot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In your example, there is no need to specify that it is a heater.  It simply is a source of hot water,  it could be coming from a natural occurring hot spring, etc.

By specifying Heater we are saying that it is a unit intended to raise the temperature from Not-Hot, up to Hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

What does it do?

?

It's a heater. So your home has hot water.

You don't need a heater if you have hot water already coming in that way.

You might need a cold water cooler, so your home has cold water.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

What does it do?

?

So, we agree... you only need a heater if you don't have hot water.  Otherwise there would be no need to heat hot water.   So how is that not  a water heater?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]

But when her website asks for my PIN Number.... it's grammatically incorrect!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I automatically assume someone has an IQ below 80 when I hear “hot water heater.”
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's no heater for your cold water supply.
View Quote

BUT... maybe you live somewhere (such as this Antarctic station) where your fresh water supply actually comes from snowmelt.

So your drinking water really does come from a cold water heater.

And then they probably have a separate heater to produce hot water.....

http://www.antarcticstation.org/station/water_treatment/
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So, we agree... you only need a heater if you don't have hot water.  Otherwise there would be no need to heat hot water.   So how is that not  a water heater?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

What does it do?

?

It is a water heater. When did I say it wasn't a water heater? It's the water heater for your hot water supply, hence "hot water heater."
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For all intensive purposes,  sure!
View Quote

Irregardless, at some point the water ain’t hot. Then it goes in the tank. And gets heated.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#20]
It starts off as a cool water heater thens transforms into a warm water heater. Once it is hot it doesn't do much but hold water. Given time it shifts into hot water reheater mode.
It is quite a multifaceted appliance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Laughs in "I have used all the water in the water heater taking a shower"

You're wrong.  The method of heating is irrelevant.  Cold water in, hot water out.  It's a water heater, more specifically a cold water heater.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
GD never disappoints, so I seek your wisdom.

I have this installed in my kitchen:  Hot Water Dispenser.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375298/hotwater-2935391.jpg

But sometimes I unplug it when we go on vacation.  What is it then?  And if I ask someone to plug it back in when we return, what do I call it?  

View Quote

Sink hot water heater? Kitchen hot water heater?

But wow... had no idea such a thing existed. Is the few seconds to wait for your hot water supply just too valuable?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It comes out at a configurable temperature, up to boiling.  We keep it at 185, which is considerably higher than the temp I have our house's hot water set to, but perfect temp for our tea.

What can I say, we like tea.  

And it also turns out to be fairly useful for a range of other things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sink hot water heater? Kitchen hot water heater?

But wow... had no idea such a thing existed. Is the few seconds to wait for your hot water supply just too valuable?

It comes out at a configurable temperature, up to boiling.  We keep it at 185, which is considerably higher than the temp I have our house's hot water set to, but perfect temp for our tea.

What can I say, we like tea.  

And it also turns out to be fairly useful for a range of other things.

Reminds me of some setups I've seen with those bottled water dispensers. No need to ever boil water, it just comes out the perfect temp for such things.

These will often have a hot water heater, and a cold water cooler.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Water being supplied to the heater is above absolute zero; therefore, it is hot water, that the heater makes hotter.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#26]
After growing up with a barely functional water heating system off a steam boiler, you better believe my Rinnai is a HOT water heater.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#27]
The consensus around the cold water cooler is that it's just a water heater.  It will heat hot water, cold water and warm water.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And it's not an ATM machine, but most folks don't need therapy after hearing either one.  YMMV.
View Quote

Yup.  And my PC doesn't have a FAT table, either.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Since the water around here right now is coming out of the ground at 120 degrees, I will go with Hot Water Heater....but in reality, the proper name is WATER HEATER

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I saw the OP in the spice section the other day looking for Ground Water.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Just get your husband to replace it if you're afraid to do the work yourself, OP.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The purpose of it is to generate hot water for direct use, as opposed to a boiler or furnace which heats water to create steam or to circulate through radiators.  It is a "heater" that produces "hot water" as such it is not redundant.
View Quote

But it is not a heater that heats hot water. It heats cold water to make hot water. The tankless variety stop there. Tank varieties do more. They maintain a desired setpoint. As such they are water heater/hot water maintainers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well that's a tankless water heater.

Not a tankless hot water heater. That's obviously redundant.

But saying hot water heater while referring to a tanked unit is not technically redundant nor incorrect.

Just saying.
View Quote

So you're saying it's a water heater that is hot.  We just need to agree on which noun ("water" or "heater") the adjective "hot" modifies.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

ATM machine
VIN number
RPMs (not really the same, but still kind of grates on my nerves)
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#37]
As a plumber it’s the dumbest internet thing ever.
A conventional tank heater is a hot water heater, a tankless is a water heater. You can’t store hot water without heating it. Dumb.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Well my hot water tap won't get very hot without a water heater on it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As a plumber it’s the dumbest internet thing ever.
A conventional tank heater is a hot water heater, a tankless is a water heater. You can’t store hot water without heating it. Dumb.
View Quote

It's up there with "pepperoni isn't a real pizza topping," "French is the international language of diplomacy," and "Asian women squeak when they have sex." And I'm probably overlooking a few.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just get your husband to replace it if you're afraid to do the work yourself, OP.
View Quote

Lol, my house has 10 water heaters total.

8 tankless, 2 tanked.

I installed all 10.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Im with OP.  It heats hot water.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#44]
irregardless
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I want a water heater powered by magic rocks. For personal use.  

Kharn
View Quote

Yes!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Terms like, “hot water heater”, make me want to go nucular.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For all intensive purposes,  sure!
View Quote

Intensive porpoises. Let's get it write.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

8 tankless, 2 tanked.

I installed all 10.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

8 tankless, 2 tanked.

I installed all 10.

Mine has 1 and it's 32 years old. I keep saying I should really plan on replacing it sooner than later.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sound logic.

Since I read the words let's argue... What is the wife units 'thought'?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Im with OP.  It heats hot water.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top