Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Got laid off in August.

Decided to get into content creation and online gaming.

No profit, but I'm much happier.

Got an offer from BAE to be a Bradley Mechanic a few days ago, but I'm not interested anymore.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, good luck, have fun!
View Quote

Do you have a different perspective on raises and employment in fortune500 companies or are you content simply acting like a smug coot?
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still retired, but I guess I'm getting a 3.2% SS COLA....
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Only got 2.5% but I think I'm overpaid honestly. But the 40% bonus and the company eating the healthcare cost increase makes it not bad.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
My boss told me to stuff it
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]
This year I took over a team I was part of.  Complete shitshow for various reasons.

Most employees haven't had an actual review in years because previous manager was too lazy.

Oh well, everyone's submitted.   I ain't saying I did great work, I am saying I did some work.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#7]
You will all hear this.

Cost of Labor is not the same as cost of living.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Well raises will be announced next month for this year's evals...

Unfortunately no raise for me this go round...

Mainly because I got a 40% raise when I moved to this company last month.

Next year I'd bet 4 or 5%.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm 14 months into my current gig. A few months ago I asked my boss (whom I've never met) if I had an annual review coming up, and he laughed at me. Said we don't do that shit.

That said, I did get a 20% flat increase in my commission rate earlier this year, and am often being handed extra work when I finish early in the week (more work is more commission).

I'm doing okay at work. We did have billing rate increases last year, I don't know if that will happen in 2024 or not. I'll see what I can work myself into once we get into busy season again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Entire company got ZERO percent raises this year.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol. We don’t get ours done until February. Raises effective in March.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]
My company basically does it through a stack ranking system.

Which means that for every one person who gets a pat on the back and a big raise there is another person who going to get a stern talking to about improving performance and a sliver of a raise.

My boss has done a ton for me these last couple years and I'm incredibly grateful for the mentorship and career advancement. I'm not expecting to get that top spot again and I'm okay with that
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh, I don't do that shit anymore.

When I retired I didn't even bother signing my last NCOER.

Fugg 'em.

If I do go back to work, that'll be one of my criteria. I don"t want a middle aged man that hates his receding hairline and can't stand pleasuring his morbidly obese wife to micro-manage me on a daily basis and then eval me. 18 years of that is more than enough.

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My company basically does it through a stack ranking system.

Which means that for every one person who gets a pat on the back and a big raise there is another person who going to get a stern talking to about improving performance and a sliver of a raise.

My boss has done a ton for me these last couple years and I'm incredibly grateful for the mentorship and career advancement. I'm not expecting to get that top spot again and I'm okay with that
View Quote

I used to be part of a team that was like that.  It sucked.  A bunch of type A over performers, except for a couple.  

Sucked being the boss, but he was solid and honest.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The 80% raise notwithstanding, were you really expecting to get enough of a raise to be able to afford an in ground pool 6 months from now?  So around $100,000 raise, with 6 months worth of it going to the pool installation?

Or the raise was going to be enough to afford the monthly finance payments?

I’m not being sarcastic, just wondering how that math works.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a jelly of the month subscription .  I was planning on putting on a pool this spring...

Nah, but I did get a 80% raise a month ago.

The 80% raise notwithstanding, were you really expecting to get enough of a raise to be able to afford an in ground pool 6 months from now?  So around $100,000 raise, with 6 months worth of it going to the pool installation?

Seriously tho, I'm also getting another 5% raise in January
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I got laid off in September so I don't have to do that bullshit this year.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ERoZUE1.jpeg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a jelly of the month subscription .  I was planning on putting on a pool this spring...

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]
14.95 % bump on top of an 11.5% mid year bump

If I hit my stretch target next year I will get a 46% raise.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that how a company has a layoff without announcing it's having a layoff?
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I used to be part of a team that was like that.  It sucked.  A bunch of type A over performers, except for a couple.  

Sucked being the boss, but he was solid and honest.
View Quote

It does suck, but yea when you have an honest boss it makes things a lot better
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pink slipped. Company had to improve margins and earnings per share to get in The Street's good graces.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I rated "Exceeds", my first full year with the company.  My previous boss left a couple months ago, my review was conducted by our Global VP.  He stated that they were impressed with the execution that I brought to the table in a short amount of time, everyone he spoke with raved about my performance and team attitude, and my former boss was a HUGE fan of mine.  

We are reorganizing and RIFing a bunch of people.  My raise was assigned by a new manager that was just assigned to me.  3.2%.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Piker! a 3.5% merit, then a job promotion and another 6.9%.

Fuck ya! was a good day today!
View Quote

Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#24]
3.2% and all I had to do was stay above ground .
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

??????? dear God that went right over my head ???????. No wonder i only got 4%. Apparently I’m retarded lol.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#26]
#1 SQ/CC in MSG
five years running.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How does that work?  Haven’t had a raise in years but you got one last year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haven’t had one in years but I did get a 20% increase earlier this year.

However , I usually do my managers reviews in January.

How does that work?  Haven’t had a raise in years but you got one last year?

A review.

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

??????? dear God that went right over my head ???????. No wonder i only got 4%. Apparently I’m retarded lol.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Raise sometime in the next 6 months, probably...need a new contract and everyone drags their feet. I'll get back pay for it though so I hope they keep dragging their feet longer.

Expecting about 25-30%
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted: The 80% raise notwithstanding, were you really expecting to get enough of a raise to be able to afford an in ground pool 6 months from now?  So around $100,000 raise, with 6 months worth of it going to the pool installation?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Our review is on the anniversary of our hire date. So mine isn't due until April.

But we get our annual cost of living and an extra how ever much percent is decided on in January.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm the boss and I gave all my employees max ratings and a 4% raise.  Appreciated employees will always be willing to go an extra mile.
View Quote

In my company that is strictly not allowed.  Forced bell curve.  Managers have to give someone zero rewards, in order to give someone else double rewards.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Still married after a year.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Review went well, and I got good marks but nothing was mentioned about a raise.  That didn't surprise me since they had talked a few months back to all of us about being millions under in sales from last year.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Actually was preparing the Christmas bonus percentage recommendation spreadsheet for my corporation's Board yesterday.  They were super generous the last 2 years and gave 10 pct bonuses for the employees, and did so out of a concern for retention (outside construction work in all WX with 24/7 availability) since it's hard to find reliable workers who aren't afraid of manual labor.

Don't think they will need to be as generous now since leverage is returning to the employer.  Been seeing that with more unsolicited employment requests whereas folks were sending us to hell just six months ago.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Our company stopped doing them a couple of years ago.  I and my boss are both glad.  I’ve given them and received them, and I hated both.

And they were mostly pointless.  Nothing at a performance review should be a surprise.  If you have an issue, don’t wait for the performance review to bring it up.

If they do merit/cola raises, it’s usually at or near the first of the year.  Hope we get another cola.  Got one the last two years, and I could use another.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#38]
I hate this time of year and am consistently embarrassed when I deliver the increases to my associates.  What a fucking joke from a company that is doing well in a challenging economy.

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We're about a month out on reviews, maybe closer to two; I'm very curious how it will go.

I've been with the company 11 months. Work from home making 40% more than I did a year ago.

I was thrown into the fire with a massive project right off the bat, even finishing the development work myself (I'm the business analyst) when overrun and scope creep exhausted our budget and we couldn't buy more hours from the vendor to have their devs finish it.

So I'm already very well paid for what I do, but I also could make a case that I earned a nice reward.
View Quote

That’s a good position to be in.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#40]
One year anniversary last August. I'm pretty excited to hear about my review. I've taken some shit and given some shit, it's been a good year.

I made a point to save the company as much money as I gross in one year. Talked to HR about this as I just rebuilt a computer for less then $100 to run Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 maintaining the precision software. The company maintaining this piece of equipment wanted $11,000 to send us an updated computer with their precision software. This is for a large tensile strength test machine.

I asked a coworker in the know shortly after my anniversary date how annual reviews work. He laughs at me and says "your salary, right?". I am and he informs me salaried people have not gotten a raise in at least two years. I was like, "OH".
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you have a different perspective on raises and employment in fortune500 companies or are you content simply acting like a smug coot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, good luck, have fun!

My reply was from the perspective of an employee of the F500, directed towards the F500, receiving 2-3% after delivering solid performance, encouraging coworkers with a positive attitude, identifying and fixing half a dozen long running problems that objectively save 2-3 times the employee's pay each and every year going forward, and politely giving the boss a heads up on a couple more that were brewing but outside of the employee's power to prevent.  I've lived it, and spoken those words to the company.  

Maybe you are a F500 executive, focused on constructing a new corporate headquarters building your employees have nicknamed the crystal palace, and I offended you?

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My reply was from the perspective of an employee of the F500, directed towards the F500, receiving 2-3% after delivering solid performance, encouraging coworkers with a positive attitude, identifying and fixing half a dozen long running problems that objectively save 2-3 times the employee's pay each and every year going forward, and politely giving the boss a heads up on a couple more that were brewing but outside of the employee's power to prevent.  I've lived it, and spoken those words to the company.  

Maybe you are a F500 executive, focused on constructing a new corporate headquarters building your employees have nicknamed the crystal palace, and I offended you?

View Quote

Not offended at all. My comment on the couple % raises was to support OP and many others who might see a 3% raise and wonder if they suck. The reality is they're probably doing a fine job and shit raises are unfortunately very common in industry.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not offended at all. My comment on the couple % raises was to support OP and many others who might see a 3% raise and wonder if they suck. The reality is they're probably doing a fine job and shit raises are unfortunately very common in industry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for clarifying.

To the F500 repeating the line about the cost of talent rather than inflation, good luck getting talent working at a known 80% market rate, willing to stick with the company long enough to learn some of the esoteric processes and functions that are contributing to your poor performance metrics, and be savvy enough to fix them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#44]
I haven't had a performance review since retiring from the CG almost 18 years ago.

I been with the same company since, we don't do that shit and we also don't play the HR game.  I like it much more this way, we are all adults, we know our job and we do it.

Having said that I guess I am doing ok, the owner leaves the day to day running of the company to me while he has slid into a halfway retirement lifestyle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm under an union contract so I am screwed one way or the other.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except the C-suite, right?

Right????
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Had to do a job description write-up.  Got kicked back saying it was a job description review, not a resume.

Fuck that,  I know what I do.

So I re-wrote it and dumbed it waaaaaaay down,  to like 32K yearly dumb.  That was accepted.

Imma bounce like a Laker's basketball; ZFG.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Right????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right????

They probably got a marginal % raise on base salary. Some will take no raise and flaunt it to employees as if they're making some great sacrifice.

Meanwhile the majority of their compensation is in stock and many corporations are engaging in massive share buybacks to prop up the stock price.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm self employed and the market isn't great in the industry I'm in but I keep my expenses low and thankfully my husband makes up the difference. My husband works for Union Pacific railroad. If you recall the POTUS denied UP union from striking. Since then UP has cancelled all the switchman jobs which is what my husband does. He has seniority so he was able to move to the conductor position but as of last week UP has cancelled 1/2 the crew so they are going from a two man grew to a one man crew. My husband has enough seniority that he won't be furloughed but he will have to be on the extra board for the remainder of his employment which means he will not have scheduled weekly days off (he will only get days off when he's worked the federally imposed maximum hours-and he will have to work all shifts and vacation time. He cannot call in sick and he cannot lay off if I'm sick or in the hospital. He can apply for FMLA which after appeals will eventually mean that he won't get fired for being sick or caring for me but he will lose his pay during this period. So how do you think he faired? FUJoeBiden.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
With 11 direct reports and a bunch more with squiggly lines to me…I hate this time of year. Writing the BS reviews while I’m handcuffed by HR within a couple percentage points between my worst and best on the team.

Bleh.
View Quote

Same brotha.  Worst time of year.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top