BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The entirely new torch head and handrail that was installed during the restoration.

http://www.thehistoryhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Statue-of-Liberty-Torch-Pictures.jpg
View Quote
oh, cool, the Statue of Being told who to bake cakes for and pay a healthcare penalty for merely existing.

I think we should dismantle it and sell it for scrap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I follow what he does, off and on. He's an interesting cat to me. 

In recent years, he seems to have developed a new strategy of steadfastly refusing to "grow" his business, such that economies of scale kick in, allowing him to become insanely wealthy by selling his wares to the common man, at a price the common man could probably afford. He doesn't want to be the CEO of a big corporation. He's already done that (he once had several hundred employees across his various enterprises), and by all accounts, he hated it. He seems happy enough these days as a hired gun - somebody that gets to spend more time doing what he really loves to do (economics be damned), knowing full well that his customer base is now necessarily restricted to the precious few who have the disposable income to pay for any of it. And to the extent that these people, few in number, are willing to pay for it...he'll be fine. 

We (meaning normal middle to upper middle class dudes) are not his actual customer base. We just watch (and comment) from afar. 

Good work, if you can get it. More power to him
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Dude, you've never stopped to ask yourself why Sandra Bullock can't keep a man?

She is hot and she has money but nobody will stay with her.

She's either crazy, an insufferable cunt, or she never puts out.  Likely a combination of all 3.

I suspect Jennifer Aniston suffers from the same affliction.
View Quote
Remember the old adage: "No matter how hot the woman, somewhere, there's a guy who's tired of her shit."

Sandra isn't traditionally beautiful, but she's hot as the surface of the sun. Until you hear her start using her own words instead of those in the script she's reading. The woman's brain damaged, like many of the other left coast condescension militia that overflows Hollywood.

I dunno about Jesse James, but I don't know if I'd stay with her even if she DID put out on the regular. Outer beauty paired with inner ugliness sours pretty quickly.

I don't know if the metal actually came from the Statue of Liberty.  Maybe? Maybe not part of the actual rail, but a part of some other bit that the guy working on that area found 'laying there'. Might have been anything, even a chunk of angle that they were using to make a frame to hang the whole mess from in order to get it down. I'd like to hear more myself.

As for making Damascus.  Go over to AWE me on youtube and watch them make the scissors blade. They melted down a bucket full of scissors to make the Damascus for that one. In fact, they do a lot of Damascus work, and they show pretty well the difficulty and time involved in making it and tempering it. You want to know where some of the 500 hours came from? Look at what it might have taken him to form the billet. I'm guessing he'd have counted that.

For myself? IF I had the money, and IF he could provide provenance, I might jump. Doesn't look all that ugly to me. Of course, I enjoy the look of a well made AK, so what do I know?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never understood the fascination with damascus crap.

I have seen enough damascus shotgun barrels fail to understand that it is substandard in every aspect.

Is is decorative?  Sure.  If it actually had any of the magical properties these nimrods assign to it we would have covered it in great detail in school...

Jesse James is an artist.  To me, a bullshit artist.  He is not a metallurgist, engineer, or even a machinist.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"Louder or quiter than Sandra Bullocks crying?"
-goloud
View Quote
One of my favorite arfcom quotes ever.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Stealing objects from a historic site on a project with federal funding is pretty much the brainiac move of the century.

Not to mention destroying it and trying to sell it.

It was most likely legally acquired somehow.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah he has built bikes.  He purchased one frame for his bike shop.  After all the mods to make it "his" he realized that he may as well make the frame himself. His copper bike wasn't plated he built the copper tanks and fenders from copper as if it were cookware.  

Damascus making is a bitch.  I can just barely make a forge weld, Damascus is dozens of layers of forge welds.  Alec Steele a YouTube blacksmith that makes beautiful Damascus often fails.  The beauty of Damascus is that a soft iron is welded and mixed with a hard steel do you have the toughness of the HARD stuff but the give of the soft stuff.  I doubt the railing on the torch was A53 pipe.  I'd bet it was wrought iron like the armature inside the statue was.  Wrought iron and a good modern steel would make for a tough but flexible Damascus.  

Jesse James is a metalworking god.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has Jesse ever divided by zero and built himself a bike?
Yeah he has built bikes.  He purchased one frame for his bike shop.  After all the mods to make it "his" he realized that he may as well make the frame himself. His copper bike wasn't plated he built the copper tanks and fenders from copper as if it were cookware.  

Damascus making is a bitch.  I can just barely make a forge weld, Damascus is dozens of layers of forge welds.  Alec Steele a YouTube blacksmith that makes beautiful Damascus often fails.  The beauty of Damascus is that a soft iron is welded and mixed with a hard steel do you have the toughness of the HARD stuff but the give of the soft stuff.  I doubt the railing on the torch was A53 pipe.  I'd bet it was wrought iron like the armature inside the statue was.  Wrought iron and a good modern steel would make for a tough but flexible Damascus.  

Jesse James is a metalworking god.
Indeed he is.
All the drama aside, the man has skills, pure and simple.
There is a video floating around on youtube for a show he was trying to get picked up by somebody. In it he goes through the process of how he was taught how to make damascus steel by someone else and then attempting it on his own. I fully believe that if he did the entire process by hand for this gun, that he has the hours invested in it that he claims to.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#8]
JFC, some of you lot are just insufferable 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd edit that out after the Metallica incident.hes a member here
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Holy crap.lol

In before the bans time outs and lock
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:32:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why would NYC sue him?

The Statue of Liberty belongs to The United States and is located in New Jersey.

I'm guessing there's only a minute amount of Statue of Liberty handrail material in that hideous pistol.

Considering the absolute lack of provenance; perhaps there isn't any at all.
View Quote
The Island the statue and Ellis Island sit on are part of NYS and NYC. They are however on the NJ side of the state line that runs down the Hudson.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:50:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not usually a huge fan of his designs, but I have a weird attraction to that peice. I'd buy it if I could afford it...

I can't though...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:57:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Next year he will release a single action army made from the liberty bell
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I respect Jesse James's metal working skills. I saw him pound out a fuel tank for a bike when several of the ones he competed with bought already made tanks.

I'd buy that 1911 if I had that disposable income.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:10:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, the gun is made from copper?
View Quote
Iron and Copper. The statue is copper on an iron frame, right?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Does that make it 1/2 French?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, the gun is made from copper?
The back story is that the pistol was made from some of the steel hand railing of the statues's torch.

Photgraphic documentation seem to indicate that torch railing was removed intact along with the old torch head and is still perfectly intact and in place on the torch head.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]
That is f-ing expensive. I wouldn't even shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Next year he will release a single action army made from the liberty bell
View Quote
A suppressor would be more ironic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll bet that thing is damn near silent for that kind of money. Has Jesse released the dB measurements yet?

Am I the only one kind of thinking the other two are probably bullshit? It's probably made from a scaffold or some shit that was used as a handrail during the restoration
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#21]
He should consider using ordinary dustcover specs on the frame. Whatever he's got going on looks ugly and won't work with many holsters. You don't need that much material/thickness unless you're machining a rail into it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#22]
The guys who replaced the torch gave him material.
Calm the fuck down.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good God but some of you have a burning hatred inside for anyone who's done better in life than yourselves. You'll make shit up and present it as fact in an attempt to bring them down to your level.  FFS, seek help before it kills you.
View Quote
This.

Anytime anything Jesse James comes up people just lose their fucking minds here.

Calm the fuck down losers
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#24]
It's a gun made out of a piece of hand-railing from a national monument.

I truly do not understand why anyone would pay that kind of money for that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And if you actually comprehended, the dude "grabbed it because it was just laying there."  Fuck asking whoever it belongs to for permission.  I'm working here and it's just laying there, so I'm gonna grab it.  Thanks for letting us know not to leave anything laying around wherever you work, Mr. Ethics.
View Quote
Ummmmmm on most demo/restoration projects, the trash/ripped out materials get put in a dumpster or recycled.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It took 500 hours to make 1 pistol?? Bullshit. It that's true, he didn't know what he was doing and fucked up many times before finishing.
View Quote
A proper Japanese sword has something like 16,000 folds. Good, handmade, damascus takes time. That said, I'm sure 500 hours is a bit of an exaggeration.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dude, you've never stopped to ask yourself why Sandra Bullock can't keep a man?

She is hot and she has money but nobody will stay with her.

She's either crazy, an insufferable cunt, or she never puts out.  Likely a combination of all 3.

I suspect Jennifer Aniston suffers from the same affliction.
View Quote
No matter how hot she is, no matter how cool you think she may be. Someone, somewhere, is fucking sick of her shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And if you actually comprehended, the dude "grabbed it because it was just laying there."  Fuck asking whoever it belongs to for permission.  I'm working here and it's just laying there, so I'm gonna grab it.  Thanks for letting us know not to leave anything laying around wherever you work, Mr. Ethics.
View Quote
Newsflash: They don't care, and don't save every little piece from restoration projects, even high profile ones. I "know a guy" that has some minor trash pieces from the UT clock tower, Capital, and Battleship Texas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The guys who replaced the torch gave him material.
Calm the fuck down.
View Quote
Since you're late to the party, I guessed you missed the part where other members have already posted photographic proof that the original railing around the torch is still intact and could not have been given to Jesse James or used in the manufacturing of that pistol...

Original torch being removed during restoration, railing completely intact

Original torch on display, railing completely intact

Original torch still on display, railing still completely intact

New torch

So what is this gun actually made out of?

Railing from the handicap stall in the gift shop bathroom?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The way I see it if it took him 500 hours to make it then he didn't know what the fuck he was doing and was learning as he went. JJ is the biggest tool in the firearms industry, because he just jumps from one thing to another, and charges everyone for the right to own his artwork. Yes, artwork, not really a gun. And I don't care if the metal came from the SoL or the 9-11 cross, it's bullshit and the fact that people pay for his garbage is proof that a fool is born every minute.
View Quote
Care to post some pictures of some things you have built?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Whatever went on between James and Sandra is none of our business anyway and it's not like many of us know them personally.  I don't feel qualified or comfortable speculating about something like that. That's just me though.

While James may believe that he was given a piece of railing, it appears possible that he was mislead. If true could he have been given an underside connector/structural piece and then told that it was a part of the system that supported the railing? That would make more sense.

Who knows the truth? Certainly not me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
While James may believe that he was given a piece of railing, it appears possible that he was mislead. If true could he have been given an underside connector/structural piece and then told that it was a part of the system that supported the railing? That would make more sense.
View Quote
Oh ok, just a simple mistake then.  Silly little miscommunication.  I mean it's only $85k, right?  No biggie.

So, you'd be ok with buying a brand new $85k Corvette Z06 and finding out it was "accidentally" manufactured with a rebuilt Geo Metro 4cyl engine?  Chevrolet was probably misled by the engine supplier, so it's not their fault.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Jesse James is a tremendous faggot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Oh ok, just a simple mistake then.  Silly little miscommunication.  I mean it's only $85k, right?  No biggie.

So, you'd be ok with buying a brand new $85k Corvette Z06 and finding out it was "accidentally" manufactured with a rebuilt Geo Metro 4cyl engine?  Chevrolet was probably misled by the engine supplier, so it's not their fault.
View Quote
I never said that I was okay with it. I was just fishing for an explanation as to why the Statue of Liberty rail appears to be intact without automatically presuming that the guy is a liar.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I think we skipped $8500 early on.

I wouldn't pay $8500 for it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Assuming the pistol is actually made of the statue of liberty and that the material was not stolen, lets say it was going to be tossed in the dumpster after the renovation I would say its pretty bad a$$
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top