BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not worth it - check out Jefferson’s very small batch bourbon if you want good bourbon for about 30 bucks a bottle.
View Quote
This here. Got a bottle as a gift a while back and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Conversely, I got to try a friend’s Blue Label and wasn’t particularly impressed.

However I’ll freely admit that I’m not a connoisseur, or even a heavy drinker.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Odd... I feel mildly insulted, yet warm and fuzzy at the same time.

Well said, Sir!

TC
View Quote

I will raise a glass of the Caribbean cask to you good sir.

Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#3]
No. There are so many better choices for scotch at that price range or less.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Mostly people that buy it are douchebags trying to be pretentious.

The Gold is every bit as good for way less scratch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You seem ... familiar, bro.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even monkey shoulder bro
A toast to the fallen!
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy some weller and be happy with the money you saved. If you want to spend money, buy Belvenie, or Dalmor scotch, but 200+ for a bottle of blended booze is over paying.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A toast to the fallen!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even monkey shoulder bro
A toast to the fallen!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No. Not IMO.

I actually like green or gold more, and in that price range there better choices.

Johnnie walker has good marketing.
View Quote
FPNI

The JW Green is a really good scotch. The JW Blue is marketing hype, not a bad scotch just not worth the $$$
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Luckily for me scotch has always tasted foul but cheap whiskey is delicious
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As a newbie to scotch/whiskey....what am I going to notice about a single malt vs. a blend?

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Far better single malts out there for half the price, third the price even.
As a newbie to scotch/whiskey....what am I going to notice about a single malt vs. a blend?

Thanks
It really depends on you.

Can you differentiate between tequilas or rums in blind taste tests? Do you drink wines? What sort of associations do you make drinking other alcohol?

Only a few people in a dozen can taste subtle differences and fewer still will get the taste of "elderberry, black currant...etc." Perception of taste is dominated by expectations, so people taste what the bottle says and rate more expensive or higher rated wines and alcohol better. There are several studies that go into greater depth, but who needs science.

Balivine 14  year Caribbean Cask is a great starter scotch. Getting to know the difference between styles of scotch will help you nail down a decent one for a lot less than J. W. Blue
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got a set of 4 Glencairn glasses from Amazon.

Want to try a Macallan 18 year.

Your recommendations: Sherry Oak or Triple cask????
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wasn't expecting this, here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Lol, no.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just got a set of 4 Glencairn glasses from Amazon.

Your recommendations: Sherry Oak or Triple cask????
View Quote
Sherry cask is the standard.

I'm not opposed to their triple cask stuff, I've got a bottle, but for 18yr I'd stick to sherry cask.

It's good stuff and definitely a step up from 12yr.  Different texture, mouth feel, and the flavors are more pronounced.

Around here it's $300+/bottle so I only get mine out for special occasions.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
You'll have more people congratulating you on your sophistication.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
As I noted in an earlier post I am not a Scotch drinker but my late father was and always loved trying different brands. Back in the late 1980's, the New York Times had done an article on MacAllan 18 year old and he was very interested in it. But it was quite expensive. I bought him a bottle for his 65th birthday and he enjoyed every drop of it. And he kept the empty bottle!
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#19]
The scatter chart someone posted earlier is a pretty good place to start.

If you want to get into scotch, find a few references using a similar source, try the ends of the spectrum, and see if you can identify the characteristics. Then broaden your scope and try a few more, with a mind toward comparing them to what you already tried.  Can you taste the difference?  Is this one more or less peaty? Smoky? Sweet?  How does it taste in the mouth? How does it finish?

Finally (and most important), find out the points on that continuum that you like, drink, and enjoy.

I have never tried blue label, but I have consumed a lot of whiskey over the years, both to savor in small quantities, and on firemissions against my liver (I can’t remember why I was so pissed off at that particular organ for so many years, but it must have been something important).  Cheap, expensive, single malt, blend... find stuff you like and enjoy it. We’re only here for a short time.

I bought my old man a bottle of Macallan 21 when he got his PhD (a fairly pricey bottle of hooch). We drank the hell out of it and it was excellent. I will always remember that, but in all truth I’ve had cheaper scotch that I liked more.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lately I've been drinking a $30 bottle of Naked Grouse. Really nice sherried Scotch. Not as nice as an Abunadh or Tamdhu, but less than half the cost so...
View Quote
I have consumed a lot of Famous Grouse over the years, but not Naked Grouse. Might have to try it.

Hell, I like Glenkinchie, and it’s so sweet and smooth I don’t know if it even qualifies as “scotch” (even though it’s made in Scotland... albeit lowland).  It’d probably earn me a black eye, but I think Glenkinchie is more like Irish whiskey (which I also like).

I do have a bottle of Hibiki (?) that a friend brought back from Japan that I’ve never opened.  It’s sad in the back of my pantry for years. I should fix that problem...
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have consumed a lot of Famous Grouse over the years, but not Naked Grouse. Might have to try it.

Hell, I like Glenkinchie, and it’s so sweet and smooth I don’t know if it even qualifies as “scotch” (even though it’s made in Scotland... albeit lowland).  It’d probably earn me a black eye, but I think Glenkinchie is more like Irish whiskey (which I also like).

I do have a bottle of Hibiki (?) that a friend brought back from Japan that I’ve never opened.  It’s sad in the back of my pantry for years. I should fix that problem...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lately I've been drinking a $30 bottle of Naked Grouse. Really nice sherried Scotch. Not as nice as an Abunadh or Tamdhu, but less than half the cost so...

Yeah I think for $30 it's definitely worth a try. I had a buddy with some Hibiki that I got to try and it was pretty good IIRC, though I'm not sure which bottling it was. You should definitely crack it open!
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Only you can determine where your taste and means intersect.

Mine intersect at Glenlivet 12 or Glenmorangie 10 year old.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#23]
No blended is worth more than $20.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#24]
My mother was an occasional drinker and won a bottle of blue label years ago. She was excited to get a bottle of expensive alcohol that she never would have bought herself. She finally opened it at a dinner party to impress friends and found it to be not noticeably amy better than the regular stuff.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've consumed more and more variety of whiskey in the last year than in the previous 20, and this is my conclusion as well.
View Quote
Once you get over $200 i find you are paying more for intangibles then taste.  I have a bottle of jw platinum up here 180 a bottle..it was a gift.

Like somebody said before ok for a gift but not what you would buy yourself.

Lagavulin is good enough that and Macallan.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top