Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We can hope
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then the hadron collider suddenly disappeared and the earth was slowly swallowed by that newly created black hole and just like that the earth was no more.
We can hope

Truly the only solution to climate change... is to destroy the Earth!  Without an Earth there can be no Climate Change.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wonder how big a flash and noise it makes when the particles collide. Has there ever been a camera mounted somewhere in the room when it happened?
View Quote
There's lots of cameras. You see and hear nothing but the vacuum pumps and rack fans.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I started working on the Higgs in 2007 as an undergraduate research assistant. Got pretty good at it and my advisor was middle management at CMS for the Higgs groups so I got lucky. Went to Grad school in 2009 and quickly became the most senior grad student working on the Higgs to 4 lepton channel because of the "oopsie" in 2008 which forced the older grad students waiting on data to graduate to switch back to Tevatron data. I worked my ass off for the next few years and became a player in the Higgs to 4 lepton group at CERN. I was basically the lead analyst for our university since I had been doing it longer than our postdocs. Professors think deep thoughts but don't usually do much of the coding, etc. There are some exceptions. Anyways, I participated in the writing of the discovery paper because of this and there was only like 5-10 of us plus the spokespersons out of 4k in the collaboration so that was pretty cool. After that I bet my career that they wouldn't find anything else new at the LHC in the next 30 years and moved on the become a staff member at a national lab doing things that are more like out of the 1950s but I get to blow shit up which is always fun no matter how you slice it. Many of us were pretty burned out after 2012. Working 20 hours a day for 6 months every year wears on you. I had my 264 page thesis written by 2013 and graduated as soon as I could which was basically 4.5 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@MrHiggs

For those of us not familiar with previous threads or the scope of your work, can you provide some background?

Thank you
I started working on the Higgs in 2007 as an undergraduate research assistant. Got pretty good at it and my advisor was middle management at CMS for the Higgs groups so I got lucky. Went to Grad school in 2009 and quickly became the most senior grad student working on the Higgs to 4 lepton channel because of the "oopsie" in 2008 which forced the older grad students waiting on data to graduate to switch back to Tevatron data. I worked my ass off for the next few years and became a player in the Higgs to 4 lepton group at CERN. I was basically the lead analyst for our university since I had been doing it longer than our postdocs. Professors think deep thoughts but don't usually do much of the coding, etc. There are some exceptions. Anyways, I participated in the writing of the discovery paper because of this and there was only like 5-10 of us plus the spokespersons out of 4k in the collaboration so that was pretty cool. After that I bet my career that they wouldn't find anything else new at the LHC in the next 30 years and moved on the become a staff member at a national lab doing things that are more like out of the 1950s but I get to blow shit up which is always fun no matter how you slice it. Many of us were pretty burned out after 2012. Working 20 hours a day for 6 months every year wears on you. I had my 264 page thesis written by 2013 and graduated as soon as I could which was basically 4.5 years.

Good to see you MrHiggs.  I hope you're getting some healing.
Your answer reminds me of this scene from Margin Call 1:30-2:15.

Margin Call (2011) - First Meeting [HD 1080p] (Re-Upload / Audio Fixed)
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There's lots of cameras. You see and hear nothing but the vacuum pumps and rack fans.
View Quote

Pretty sure you answered this before, but do the beam dumps make noise when used?

Also assume there would be a massive burst of radiation involved too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn’t this how ghostbusters started.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pretty sure you answered this before, but do the beam dumps make noise when used?

Also assume there would be a massive burst of radiation involved too.
View Quote

There is a lot of radiation created but the dumps are designed to range it out. Here  is a recent article where they pulled a beam dump out. It's cool because you can see the funky pattern the beam leaves so that they can spread the load out as they're dumping it. There would be a lot of thermal energy from the radiation, but mostly local to the beam areas. I doubt there is any noise and definitely none detectable above the sounds of pumps and fans running for the machine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The Omega Tau podcast recently did an episode on the LHC Beam Dump.

I barely understood half of what they were talking about other than that the thing soaks up several metric fucktons of energy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Supercollider?  I just met her.

seriously, was I beaten by 70 seconds?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe . If they were at LANL recently I probably know them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

National Lab, huh? Wouldn't per chance be in New Mexico would it?
I've got a relative who just retired, worked in the same kind of field. Wonder if you two have met.
Maybe . If they were at LANL recently I probably know them.

My grandfather retired from Sandia. Work there from a little after wwII till late 90's. Still consulted for yrs after. I dig the forest & terrain around Los Alamos.

Thanks for being here @MrHiggs. You bring some cool discussion.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anatoli Bugorski: The Man Who Stuck His Head Inside a Particle Accelerator

As a researcher at the Institute for High Energy Physics in Protvino, Russia, Anatoli Bugorski worked with the largest particle accelerator in the Soviet Union, the U-70 synchrotron.[3] On 13 July 1978, Bugorski was checking a malfunctioning piece of equipment when the safety mechanisms failed. Bugorski was leaning over the equipment when he stuck his head in the path of the 76 GeV proton beam. Reportedly, he saw a flash "brighter than a thousand suns" but did not feel any pain.[1] The beam passed through the back of his head, the occipital and temporal lobes of his brain, the left middle ear, and out through the left hand side of his nose. The exposed parts of his head received a local dose of 200,000 to 300,000 roentgens.[3] Bugorski understood the severity of what had happened, but continued working on the malfunctioning equipment, and initially opted not to tell anyone what had happened.

link
View Quote

Holy shit!
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can this solve our city violence? Just sent the troublesome to another dimension and forget they exist.
View Quote

What do you think this place is…
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Synchronicities… i was thinking of that game last night.

Out of This World Full Intro
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:00:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Outcome of experiment:
ERROR , HUMAN IS DEAD MISMATCH

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can this solve our city violence? Just sent the troublesome to another dimension and forget they exist.

Might be the delirium but I just had a crazy thought pop in my head.

What if there are a certain amount of souls in the universe and another planet figured out that they can control where the troubled go by making the worst people breed here on Earth to suck up the bad souls that are available. Thereby preventing the worst from being born on their planet.

That's why our leaders basically subsidize the poor, dumb, and evil to keep having more and more babies. Our leaders are paid off by or just from the other planet.

The entire goal being to consolidate the worst souls onto this hell known as Earth.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is a lot of radiation created but the dumps are designed to range it out. Here  is a recent article where they pulled a beam dump out. It's cool because you can see the funky pattern the beam leaves so that they can spread the load out as they're dumping it. There would be a lot of thermal energy from the radiation, but mostly local to the beam areas. I doubt there is any noise and definitely none detectable above the sounds of pumps and fans running for the machine.
View Quote

Forbidden pretzel!

Thanks, that was neat.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Even lead is mostly empty space between particles.
Very few interact in collisions. (I think)
View Quote

That’s right, I have watched the documentary Ant-man.   There is plenty of space between particles.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wonder how big a flash and noise it makes when the particles collide. Has there ever been a camera mounted somewhere in the room when it happened?
View Quote

I’ll have my cell phone video ready to go.      
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Isn’t this how ghostbusters started.
View Quote

Don’t cross the streams!      
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Mr.Higgs

sent you an IM
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My grandfather retired from Sandia. Work there from a little after wwII till late 90's. Still consulted for yrs after. I dig the forest & terrain around Los Alamos.

View Quote
The old guys are always fun to talk to. They knew what they were doing (most of them anyways). I've seen several of the old guys that were left pass away in the last 8 years. There's very few left that we're even around in the 80s.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Truly the only solution to climate change... is to destroy the Earth!  Without an Earth there can be no Climate Change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then the hadron collider suddenly disappeared and the earth was slowly swallowed by that newly created black hole and just like that the earth was no more.
We can hope

Human initiated galactical imbalance.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And seeing your join date I’m going to assume you have no clue who at least one of the posters in this thread is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
as i said 99% of people can't fathom what they're doing

that includes any theories post here

And seeing your join date I’m going to assume you have no clue who at least one of the posters in this thread is.

Doesn't sound like he works there anymore
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
we already have a black hole in our own galaxy we dont need another one
View Quote

Only one *supermassive* black hole. There are smaller black holes too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It was designed for 14TeV. They hit 13TeV in the las run but we were told after the "oopsie" in 2008 that they would never run all the way up to 14TeV because of the issues with the magnets. They must be getting much more confident in their operations. The CERN machine guys are the best in the world (sorry LB ). Plus they need to get more energy to rule out more SUSY models which they'll be doing for the next 2 decades.
View Quote

Your posts always make me google something to educate myself.

I know TeV.  I know CERN.  I don't know SUSY.

Hope you and your kids are doing OK.

ETA: This?

"However, no supersymmetric extensions of the Standard Model have been experimentally verified."
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You want a black hole eating the earth? This is how you get a black hole eating the earth!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is is going to knock us deeper into the Clown Universe?
View Quote
Probably
but can it really get worse?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It seems like everything really started to go to shit right around the first time they started that thing up...

It was either the hardon collider or Obama, I'm not really sure which.
View Quote
One is a giant sucking black hole that destroys and the other might open one
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

"However, no supersymmetric extensions of the Standard Model have been experimentally verified."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was designed for 14TeV. They hit 13TeV in the las run but we were told after the "oopsie" in 2008 that they would never run all the way up to 14TeV because of the issues with the magnets. They must be getting much more confident in their operations. The CERN machine guys are the best in the world (sorry LB ). Plus they need to get more energy to rule out more SUSY models which they'll be doing for the next 2 decades.

SUSY short for supersymmetry.
Attachment Attached File

Basically if you make a simple mathematical extension to the standard model, you can make supersymmetric cousins for every lepton and quark (sleptons and squarks, physicists are so clever). Bosons are a bit more complicated. There are a couple free parameters that set the energy scale for which these super particles should appear so you often see exclusion plots plotted in 2D space where each axis is the mass of a type of supersymmetric particle. Basically the higher we go in energy the more SUSY parameter space we rule out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We can hope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We can hope

Lol.  There was a short story called Implode and Peddle by HB Fife that dealt with a similar set of circumstances; if you can find a reprint of it, it's a pretty good read - sort of a Red Adair meets a Black Hole.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One of these days, one of these scientists, at one of these facilities will make a tiny mathematical error with major consequences.
View Quote

Yeah, they'll accidentally release 800 bajillion electron volts of energy which will annihilate 7 air molecules.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What if there are a certain amount of souls in the universe and another planet figured out that they can control where the troubled go by making the worst people breed here on Earth to suck up the bad souls that are available. Thereby preventing the worst from being born on their planet.

That's why our leaders basically subsidize the poor, dumb, and evil to keep having more and more babies. Our leaders are paid off by or just from the other planet.

The entire goal being to consolidate the worst souls onto this hell known as Earth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a conspiracy theory rabbit hole called the “Prison Planet” that dives deep in that one.  I think that Tom Cruise religion also has elements of that. Some far out stuff.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/368298/D14EAB79-9384-44ED-9133-F9113DA3D59E_jpe-2440092.JPG

Basically if you make a simple mathematical extension to the standard model, you can make supersymmetric cousins for every lepton and quark (sleptons and squarks, physicists are so clever). Bosons are a bit more complicated. There are a couple free parameters that set the energy scale for which these super particles should appear so you often see exclusion plots plotted in 2D space where each axis is the mass of a type of supersymmetric particle. Basically the higher we go in energy the more SUSY parameter space we rule out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/368298/D14EAB79-9384-44ED-9133-F9113DA3D59E_jpe-2440092.JPG

So there are Mexican particles?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is is going to knock us deeper into the Clown Universe?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a whole bunch of problems with that theory. Even though variations of it are found in various new age religions.

The big one for me is that when an author sits down to imagine an alien society that doesn't have any of our problems they usually wind up creating some kind of hell world that falls apart after a few moments of scrutiny. The Vulcans may have a very good sounding civilization to some fucking nerd who doesn't understand how reality works. But a few moments of considering what an emotionless society would be like reveals it to be something that no sane entity would want to live in.

There are many other factors. A big one being that a technologically advanced civilization or really any civilization is probably going to be the result of millennia of Darwinian pressures.

There's also this curious element of self loathing in play. People compare current human civilization with Star Trek or various other fictional constructs and they see humanity as pathetic, weak and worthless. But here is the key thing. Those are FICTIONAL constructs! We don't have any actual alien civilizations to compare with. The moment we do everything changes. But for now all we have is fiction and the fever dreams of people who grew up watching the X Files and various shlocky movies.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's a whole bunch of problems with that theory. Even though variations of it are found in various new age religions.

The big one for me is that when an author sits down to imagine an alien society that doesn't have any of our problems they usually wind up creating some kind of hell world that falls apart after a few moments of scrutiny. The Vulcans may have a very good sounding civilization to some fucking nerd who doesn't understand how reality works. But a few moments of considering what an emotionless society would be like reveals it to be something that no sane entity would want to live in.

There are many other factors. A big one being that a technologically advanced civilization or really any civilization is probably going to be the result of millennia of Darwinian pressures.

There's also this curious element of self loathing in play. People compare current human civilization with Star Trek or various other fictional constructs and they see humanity as pathetic, weak and worthless. But here is the key thing. Those are FICTIONAL constructs! We don't have any actual alien civilizations to compare with. The moment we do everything changes. But for now all we have is fiction and the fever dreams of people who grew up watching the X Files and various shlocky movies.
View Quote
There can be no good without evil. There can be no joy without pain.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Holy shit...fuckers still alive!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anatoli Bugorski: The Man Who Stuck His Head Inside a Particle Accelerator

As a researcher at the Institute for High Energy Physics in Protvino, Russia, Anatoli Bugorski worked with the largest particle accelerator in the Soviet Union, the U-70 synchrotron.[3] On 13 July 1978, Bugorski was checking a malfunctioning piece of equipment when the safety mechanisms failed. Bugorski was leaning over the equipment when he stuck his head in the path of the 76 GeV proton beam. Reportedly, he saw a flash "brighter than a thousand suns" but did not feel any pain.[1] The beam passed through the back of his head, the occipital and temporal lobes of his brain, the left middle ear, and out through the left hand side of his nose. The exposed parts of his head received a local dose of 200,000 to 300,000 roentgens.[3] Bugorski understood the severity of what had happened, but continued working on the malfunctioning equipment, and initially opted not to tell anyone what had happened.

link

Holy shit...fuckers still alive!

And they wouldn't even class him as disabled so that he could get free epilepsy meds. Socialized medicine in a nutshell, right there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've got to remember, re star trek, is that the fan community is such that in TNG they added a character whos job is to explain how feelings work and who has the supernatural ability to identify what feelings someone else is having. When you consider that, it's easy to see why all of the social constructs in the show are completely dysfunctional.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I think I saw that machine in Stranger Things…
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Headcrabs. It's always Headcrabs.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing is we call the potential from spontaneous symmetry breaking that gives rise to the Higgs, the Mexican hat potential
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#44]
“I must warn you Gingy….you are tampering with forces far beyond your comprehension!” - Scared Shrekless
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Funny thing is we call the potential from spontaneous symmetry breaking that gives rise to the Higgs, the Mexican hat potential
View Quote

"Without spontaneous symmetry breaking, the Standard Model of elementary particle interactions requires the existence of a number of particles. However, some particles (the W and Z bosons) would then be predicted to be massless, when, in reality, they are observed to have mass. To overcome this, spontaneous symmetry breaking is augmented by the Higgs mechanism to give these particles mass. It also suggests the presence of a new particle, the Higgs boson, detected in 2012."

Cool!
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This or clown world intensifying…

My money’s on clown shit going up to 11
View Quote

Clownraiser dimension.

We have such honks to show you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The old guys are always fun to talk to. They knew what they were doing (most of them anyways). I've seen several of the old guys that were left pass away in the last 8 years. There's very few left that we're even around in the 80s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, my Grandpop died with the last 6 yrs. Doubt anyone remembers him though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/93097/6loex0-2440477.jpg

No shit?  Never heard that part of scientology before
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top