Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen cyclists riding on the breakdown lane of a 6 lane highway when there was a PAVED bike path no more than 50' from the highway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you think being technically right achieved some sort of self actualization instantly before death that made being right worth it or was it the cyclist last fleeting moment one of terror like most trauma deaths?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, the operator of the motor vehicle was at fault.  Setting aside the 3 foot statutory minimum for a moment, the driver made a demonstratively unsafe pass on a narrow bridge with depraved indifference to a person's safety, and destroyed a human life.  

The driver won't serve enough jail time.  The driver won't have the assets to make the person, or his estate, whole.

Do you think being technically right achieved some sort of self actualization instantly before death that made being right worth it or was it the cyclist last fleeting moment one of terror like most trauma deaths?

The cyclist was on a bridge, riding on the shoulder, and was hit from behind by a reckless driver.

And you are making this out to be the cyclist's fault?

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Darwin would disagree in this case.

Putting your safety in someone else’s hands while they drive a few feet away at 70 mph with a heavy metallic vehicle, with nothing more than a thin plastic liner and a couple inches of foam between your noggin’ and pavement/guard rails…as seen in this case can be hazardous to your health.

Drivers at fault…okay…the cyclist is still dead.  Maybe the cyclist received some sort of satisfaction/clarity that made it all worth it before his heart stopped beating and Bowles released…dunno
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His point is retarded, then.

Yes, a bicycle loses to a vehicle.

A small car loses to a pickup truck.

A pickup truck loses to a tractor trailer.

And so on.

I hate cyclists who think that they own the road but if the cyclist had the right to be on the narrow bridge and some dipshit with a wide trailer killed him, then the driver is at fault and the OP premise “just because you can doesn’t mean you should” is pants on head stupid.

Darwin would disagree in this case.

Putting your safety in someone else’s hands while they drive a few feet away at 70 mph with a heavy metallic vehicle, with nothing more than a thin plastic liner and a couple inches of foam between your noggin’ and pavement/guard rails…as seen in this case can be hazardous to your health.

Drivers at fault…okay…the cyclist is still dead.  Maybe the cyclist received some sort of satisfaction/clarity that made it all worth it before his heart stopped beating and Bowles released…dunno

Darwin?

Let me show you where natural selection is taking the United States of America...

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've seen cyclists riding on the breakdown lane of a 6 lane highway when there was a PAVED bike path no more than 50' from the highway.
View Quote

Bicyclists use the road because they CAN, and they don't want to be forced to use the "bike paths" which are populated by pedestrians and their dogs and kids. You can ring a bell, sound a horn, or shout something but as often as not, they won't move or pull their dog or kids out of the way because they OWN that path and you're the intruder.  They will tell you that bicycles belong on the road with the rest of the vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The cyclist was on a bridge, riding on the shoulder, and was hit from behind by a reckless driver.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, the operator of the motor vehicle was at fault.  Setting aside the 3 foot statutory minimum for a moment, the driver made a demonstratively unsafe pass on a narrow bridge with depraved indifference to a person's safety, and destroyed a human life.  

The driver won't serve enough jail time.  The driver won't have the assets to make the person, or his estate, whole.

How about you answer my question before asking more…oh wait you’re just trying to change the narrative with some silly question that you already know the answers to…
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Darwin?

Let me show you where natural selection is taking the United States of America...

https://www.sciencealert.com/images/2018-01/processed/wall_e_obesity_people_1024.jpg
View Quote

Who’s alive and who’s dead in this scenario
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I still don’t know what you’re talking about.

“Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” but in your story is sounds like it might be the driver’s fault, and not the cyclist?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I despise stereotypical road-bicyclists, I'm not sure how I feel about this particular case.

IF the cyclist was riding WITH traffic, and IF he was "riding on the narrow shoulder" the only way he would have "caught" anything was if the driver of the trailer crossed onto the shoulder. That would make this crash the driver's fault for not keeping his vehicle in the lane of travel.

There was a bad bicycle crash here a few years back. Older gentleman riding down the shoulder of a state highway "practicing for a bicycle race" got clipped from behind and shot to the moon. Stupid thing is there was a paved, public access, former-railroad grade less than 1/3 mile away that paralleled the same route he was taking. But the "serious" cyclists don't want to use that because the pavement isn't quite as nice and they're supposed to stop at intersections.

This has nothing to do with “feelings”…it has to do with physics.  It probably is the drivers fault…lot of good that’ll do the likely dead cyclist.

I still don’t know what you’re talking about.

“Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” but in your story is sounds like it might be the driver’s fault, and not the cyclist?

He's obviously saying that, just because you can pass a guy on a bike doesn't mean you should.

There's a phenomena I've noticed while riding my bike on the road...when cars move over the 3 ft or whatever to go around me, when they move back over to get all their wheels back in their lane, they tend to over-correct and go all the way to the white line. Maybe looking in their right mirror?  Trailer pullers do it, too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My dad called it the law of gross tonnage.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad always called that sort of thing the law of dead right.

My dad called it the law of gross tonnage.  

Right of weigh
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Doesn’t mean you should.  Saw a pretty nasty crash today between a cyclist and a trailer.  Narrow bridge, wide trailer, cyclist caught the fender of the trailer riding on the narrow shoulder.  Banged the guardrail and Down into the river the cyclist went.  Cyclist was underwater for a long time.

You can stand on your laurels all you want but physics won’t care in the end.
View Quote

How does standing on your laurels relate to this situation?
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How about you answer my question before asking more…oh wait you’re just trying to change the narrative with some silly question that you already know the answers to…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the description of the events, the cyclist got hit out of nowhere.  It's not like he knowingly ran a stop sign, entered a limited access roadway, cut off a motorist.  He was struck by a reckless driver who had no business operating a motor vehicle with a trailer.

If there is any epiphany, here, it's about your own possession of a license to operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
With the better part of 200,000 miles of commuting up and over the Blue Ridge Mountains on two lane roads, the most common trait I've observed with motorists who were visibly impatient with cyclists is that they, themselves, never used the turnouts to let vehicles behind them pass, even though it was readily signposted for "Slower Vehicles Use Turnout".  They never wanted to cede that they were, in fact, the slower, more obstructive roadway user after passing the cyclist.  And it was a profound correlation.  To the point where they would often actively keep another vehicle from passing, where passing was allowed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From the description of the events, the cyclist got hit out of nowhere.  It's not like he knowingly ran a stop sign, entered a limited access roadway, cut off a motorist.  He was struck by a reckless driver who had no business operating a motor vehicle with a trailer.

If there is any epiphany, here, it's about your own possession of a license to operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who ends up dead?
 Neat…you’re technically correct and so was the cyclist.  Where did that get him?

If you want to take the risk okay, but you’re not going to beat physics…no matter how right you may be when it comes to the law.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

His point is retarded, then.

Yes, a bicycle loses to a vehicle.

A small car loses to a pickup truck.

A pickup truck loses to a tractor trailer.

And so on.

I hate cyclists who think that they own the road but if the cyclist had the right to be on the narrow bridge and some dipshit with a wide trailer killed him, then the driver is at fault and the OP premise “just because you can doesn’t mean you should” is pants on head stupid.
View Quote

Well, sure, the driver may be at fault, but you're still dead.

If I'm cruising along in someone's blind spot and they cut me off, to me, that's my fault.  Yes, they're in the wrong and should have checked their mirrors, but I'm the dumb shit pacing them in a space they don't see.  I may also be dead if I made further dumb decisions when reacting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]
how slow was the “Cyclist” on the road going that he needed to be overtaken on a narrow bridge by a wide trailer?

around hwre there are plenty of people who  want to use the road to go out larping as  Obese Lance Armstrong with their spandex cyclist gear looking like a ball of biscuit dough wearing a rubber band.  They typically ride 2-3 wide going probably 1/2 the speed limit on no-shoulder rural roads.

Regardless, the laws of physics always prevail over the laws of man.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Cyclist was stuck behind a slow driver in the opposite lane, soon as we passed by each other he pulled out over the double yellow and passed the slower driver.
No loud pipes though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#17]
there's a reason i don't have my family riding around in some econo shitbox

it'd sure cost me a lot less but for the same reason i carry insurance on things i choose to spend more money on larger vehicles

more power to you if you want to ride around on a bicycle, or a unicycle or a tricycle or whatever it is that floats your boat but once again it takes one 16yr old girl texting her friend from her kia to end your ass. no do-overs.

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys will be talking about me getting run over one of these days.
Maybe even tonight when I ride my bike home from work.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top