BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, it shouldn't be counted. Can I go to a polling place the day after and demand my vote be counted? If your preference is to vote by mail, there should be a postmark cutoff date that's prior to the election date. Miss the cutoff and you're out of luck. The goal should be to have votes collected and recorded so we have results by the following morning as is typical.

View Quote

I'm glad that you're not in charge , then.
The postmark shows that the voter voted on or before election day.
There is no way to know exactly WHEN a ballot that's mailed will arrive at the Board of Elections.
That's why there is some time granted for the ballot to actually arrive and be counted.

I don't get you guys on this forum who are quick to disenfranchise everyone who doesn't march in lockstep with your personal views.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Kavanaugh understands more about U.S. Constitution and Law than one thousand OPs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Kavanaugh understand more about U.S. Constitution and Law than one thousand OPs.
View Quote

More than Thomas,Alito,and Gorsuch as well...
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The writing is on the wall.  Nothing matters at this point.
View Quote

Bananas for all.

Too bad federal elections aren't bound by unilateral rules.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is the North Carolina legislature's fault. They gave their board of elections too much power when they wrote the law.
View Quote

So...Democrats?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It is a constitutional ruling.

The state sets up the system within which the elections are held.
View Quote

And the rule as written is being ignored or modified.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
There will always be the Robertseque defector. In this case, multiples.

If it was 9 "originalists" and 0 leftists, scotus would be +1 toward the liberal end, with most significant cases being punted. Evil can not be so easily defeated, nor would such a defeat be long lived if it did happen. There is plenty of leverage to be used against a man or a woman, even if money is not enough to secure them.

I think the most malignant evils are the ones that appear to be gains for good. Trojan horse mythology comes to mind, and we have a prime example in Trump. Look at our deteriorating gun laws, our descent into a fearful/muzzled society, and the absolute division of the citizenry. Trump is not solely responsible for this, it's been going on for a very long time. But the openings he has created whether purposeful or not are mortally damaging to our nation.

This was inevitable, human nature systematically destroys itself every so often.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well to start with, I think mail in ballots are a pile of hot steaming crap...

But I recognize that states are allowed to choose their electors.  I think a major factor that will come into play is vote counts start getting counted after the poll closes on election night.  Any ballots received after that should be put under the microscope if they are not in line with similar ballots previously counted and reported.

Once upon a time, I think they were not even allowed to start publicly reporting the counts until after 7pm pst - so not to project a winner while voting was still underway.
View Quote

absolutely. there's no way to validate the authenticity of the voter.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bananas for all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The writing is on the wall.  Nothing matters at this point.

Bananas for all.

talk about incorporation....
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kavanaugh understand more about U.S. Constitution and Law than one thousand OPs.

Not sure about that, but probably. Definitely more of a principled federalist.

When any of them write an opinion that goes against what I would expect, I try to take the time to read it and consider it an excellent opportunity to improve my legal education. I may or may not agree, but I understand the issues better.

I definitely don't jerk my knee to my chest and assume they've been "compromised."
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I definitely don't jerk my knee to my chest and assume they've been "compromised."
View Quote

This is GD sir.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is no way to know exactly WHEN a ballot that's mailed will arrive at the Board of Elections.
That's why there is some time granted for the ballot to actually arrive and be counted.

I don't get you guys on this forum who are quick to disenfranchise everyone who doesn't march in lockstep with your personal views.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it shouldn't be counted. Can I go to a polling place the day after and demand my vote be counted? If your preference is to vote by mail, there should be a postmark cutoff date that's prior to the election date. Miss the cutoff and you're out of luck. The goal should be to have votes collected and recorded so we have results by the following morning as is typical.

As Kavanaugh said in his opinion on the WI case, setting a deadline for votes to be received does not disenfranchise anyone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#14]
He hasn't been compromised. He's been a fairly shit pick from the beginning.

Some of us have tried to tell you this from the get go.

As of last year the motherfucker was ruling with Roberts 95% of the time.

He wasn't on the original Federalist/Heritage list and was later added by Trump.

Why did Trump add him? Because it was at the request of Kennedy in a backroom deal for him to retire and Trump to get a SCOTUS pick. It wasn't a coincidence he clerked for Kennedy.

That he's a turd is only a surprise to people that haven't been paying attention.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He wasn't on the original Federalist/Heritage list and was later added by Trump.

Why did Trump add him? Because it was at the request of Kennedy in a backroom deal for him to retire and Trump to get a SCOTUS pick. It wasn't a coincidence he clerked for Kennedy.

That he's a turd is only a surprise to people that haven't been paying attention.

https://i.imgur.com/33gPO4o.gif
View Quote

Gorsuch clerked for Kennedy in the same term as Kavanaugh. Is he a turd too?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/33gPO4o.gif

Not as big a one, no.

He's definitely no Thomas or ACB though.

Sorry you spent money on the PSA Kavanaugh lower.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

As Kavanaugh said in his opinion on the WI case, setting a deadline for votes to be received does not disenfranchise anyone.
View Quote

And it's perfectly reasonable to accept absentee ballots as long as they are postmarked by election day.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shockingly, lawyers often have differing opinions on how to interpret the law.  That’s why the Supreme Court is, the supreme test.  You’ve got people who are appointed for life and absent blatant corruption, not going to lose their job.  They are at the top of their profession and have zero reason to compromise and now you have to get them to see things your way.

Look at Scalia, who took Kagan skeet shooting, and was friends with Ginsburg.  You’re not just making decisions.  You’re selling, and you’re selling on a very high level.

Thomas is probably my favorite justice philosophically.  As a sales guy, not so much.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And it's perfectly reasonable to accept absentee ballots as long as they are postmarked by election day.
View Quote

If that's in accordance with state law, absolutely. It's also perfectly reasonable to only accept ballots if they're received within a certain time frame whenever they happen to be postmarked, up to and including only accepting ballots delivered on or before election day, if thats how the state's laws are written.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:04:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If that's in accordance with state law, absolutely. It's also perfectly reasonable to only accept ballots if they're received within a certain time frame whenever they happen to be postmarked, up to and including only accepting ballots delivered on or before election day, if thats how the state's laws are written.
View Quote

But states aren't going to be that strict, and they shouldn't be. An absentee ballot is al alternative to walking to the polling place and casting a vote. The fact that you're away from home and spent part of election day walking to the post office to deposit your vote instead of some random day ten days prior to election day, shouldn't be a disqualifier for your ballot. You've still voted ON election day, and it's going to take a few days for that ballot to be counted. I'm ok with that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you a compromised never trumper?   Cuz you sound like a compromised never trumper.  

View Quote

Because I think that people who vote on election day should have their vote counted?
This forum is full of people who try to justify eliminating as many votes as possible. They represent us poorly by adopting that position.
I don't care what they think of me
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So...Democrats?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the North Carolina legislature's fault. They gave their board of elections too much power when they wrote the law.

So...Democrats?

No Republicans.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#24]
9 days is crazy. How shitty is the USPS in NC?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can we not make a determination that the ballot must be received at the tabulation location, before the deadline, to be counted? People have mailed many timed sensitive document to beat deadlines, contracts, payments, etc.. Guess common sense is not so common?

And rules for Federal office elections only, positive ID, same as required for any federal benefit application.

Can we say REAL ID? For Federal election?

The state Gov makes rules rules for state and local offices, fed Gov makes the rules for the Federal level elections.  
I believe in states rights to regulate state and local elections, and reserve federal election rules regulate federal level office elections.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can we not make a determination that the ballot must be received at the tabulation location, before the deadline, to be counted? People have mailed many timed sensitive document to beat deadlines, contracts, payments, etc.. Guess common sense is not so common?

And rules for Federal office elections only, positive ID, same as required for any federal benefit application.

The state Gov makes rules rules for state and local offices, fed Gov makes the rules for the Federal level elections.  
View Quote

I think that it's perfectly acceptable to have it postmarked by election day
It's not reasonable to expect people to overnight express a ballot, and even second day mail is often not delivered by the second day. Given the delays the post office has its impossible to predict how long it takes a letter to get to it's destination. Giving the ballot a few extra days to get to it's destination is an appropriate allowance as long as it's postmarked by election day. Don't be in such a rush to disenfranchise your fellow citizens by any means possible.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's not reasonable to expect people to overnight express a ballot, and even second day mail is often not delivered by the second day. Given the delays the post office has its impossible to predict how long it takes a letter to get to it's destination. Giving the ballot a few extra days to get to it's destination is an appropriate allowance as long as it's postmarked by election day. Don't be in such a rush to disenfranchise your fellow citizens by any means possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how long did we know there would be an election Nov. 3, and you ballot must be delivered by the 3rd.?
And you can always show up on election day with your ID?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In this thread, we learn who doesn't understand how judges work.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The goal should be to have votes collected and recorded so we have results by the following morning as is typical.
View Quote

We make ourselves look silly when we repeat this "we must have a result by election night or the following morning" nonsense.  There is NEVER an official result by the following morning.  People are mistaking predictions by TV Stations and Newspapers, AKA "calling the election" as some sort of official election result.  It's not.

Every state has a law specifying the process by which votes are counted, how the result for that state will be certified, and the deadline for doing so.  That deadline is typically a few weeks after the election:

https://ballotpedia.org/Election_results_certification_dates,_2020

December 8 is the deadline for all states to have certified their results.  December 14 is when the Electoral College actually votes.  December 23 is the deadline for states to submit their EC results to the federal government.  January 6 is when Congress counts the Electoral votes and declares a winner.

We're very likely NOT going to have an "election result" by Wednesday morning.  We very likely will have a very good idea of the result 5-6 days after the election.  If you can't see the enormous risk of backfire of all this talk about how the real result comes election night and any flipping of that result afterwards constitutes fraud, well, I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You should probably explain it to those who don’t understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In this thread, we learn who doesn't understand how judges work.

You should probably explain it to those who don’t understand.

I'm not sure they'd understand.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#31]
NC is lost.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But states aren't going to be that strict, and they shouldn't be. An absentee ballot is al alternative to walking to the polling place and casting a vote. The fact that you're away from home and spent part of election day walking to the post office to deposit your vote instead of some random day ten days prior to election day, shouldn't be a disqualifier for your ballot. You've still voted ON election day, and it's going to take a few days for that ballot to be counted. I'm ok with that.
View Quote

A majority of the states are in fact that strict, as Kavanaugh noted when he upheld Wisconsin's requirement that ballots arrive by 8PM on election day.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This. Op wants an activist judge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
States are like tiny countries. Their ballots rules are different as the federal government doesn't actually control the way they receive ballots/vote. That responsibility is the states. The Supreme Court only steps in when the states ask them to make that determination. The rules aren't the same state to state for their electoral votes.

This. Op wants an activist judge.

+1.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#34]
If I were making the law, I'd probably set the postmark deadline to be the day before election day rather than election day itself.  But there shouldn't be a receipt deadline (beyond obvious practical considerations) because that's out of the control of the person sending it.  And in reality, it should never take more than 1-2 days for a letter to go from Point A to Point B within a single district anyway.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Meh
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And how long did we know there would be an election Nov. 3, and you ballot must be delivered by the 3rd.?
And you can always show up on election day with your ID?
View Quote

So just because someone didn't mail their ballot a month ahead it's ok to disenfranchise them?
I don't get some of you. You could be hurting conservative voters,not helping them
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The goal should be to have votes collected and recorded so we have results by the following morning as is typical.

View Quote

That's only been a fairly recent development in elections.
In the founders time election outcomes weren't known for weeks
It isn't going to hurt anything to have to wait a few days to count ballots
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So just because someone didn't mail their ballot a month ahead it's ok to disenfranchise them?
I don't get some of you. You could be hurting conservative voters,not helping them
View Quote

"The dissent claims that the State’s election-day deadline

for receipt of absentee ballots will “disenfranchise” some

Wisconsin voters. But that is not what a reasonable elec-

tion deadline does. This Court has long explained that a

State’s election deadline does not disenfranchise voters who

capable of meeting the deadline but fail to do so. See

Rosario, 410 U. S., at 757–758. In other words, reasonable

election deadlines do not “disenfranchise” anyone under

any legitimate understanding of that term."

"The dissent’s rhetoric of “disenfranchisement” is mis-

placed for still another reason. As the dissent uses that

term, the dissent’s own position would itself “disenfran-

chise” voters. What about voters who request an absentee

ballot after October 29? What about voters who mail their

ballots after November 3? What about voters who mail

their ballots by November 3 but whose ballots arrive after

November 9? Even if we reinstated the District Court’s or-

der as the dissent would have us do, those votes would not

count. The dissent’s position would itself therefore “disen-

franchise” some voters, at least as the dissent uses the

term. All of which simply shows that the dissent’s rhetoric

of disenfranchisement is mistaken."

"To be clear, in every election a voter who requests an ab-

sentee ballot, particularly a voter who waits until the last

moments to request an absentee ballot, might not receive a

ballot in time to mail it back in, or in some cases may not

receive a ballot until after election day. Or in some cases, a

voter may mail a completed ballot, but it may get delayed

and  arrive too late to be counted.2 Indeed, in 2012 and

2016, the States rejected more than 70,000 ballots in each

election because the ballots missed the deadlines. U. S.

Election Assistance Commission, 2012 Election Admin-

istration and Voting Survey 42 (2013); U. S. Election Assis-

tance Commission, 2016 Election Administration and Vot-

ing Survey 11, 25 (2017). But moving a deadline would not

prevent ballots from arriving after the newly minted dead-

line any more than moving first base would mean no more

close plays. And more to the point, the fact that some bal-

lots will be late in any system with deadlines does not make

Wisconsin’s widely used deadline facially unconstitutional.

See Crawford, 553 U. S., at 202–203.

Put another way, the relevant question is not whether

any voter would ever miss the deadlines. After all, in every

deadline case, the answer would always be yes, and no elec-

tion deadline would ever be permissible. The proper ques-

tion under the Constitution is whether the deadline is rea-

sonable under the circumstances. See Rosario, 410 U. S.,

at 760. Again, Wisconsin’s deadline is the same as that in

about 30 other States for the November election and is rea-

sonable, for the reasons I have explained."

From Kavanaugh's concurring opinion in DNC v. Wisconsin.

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#39]
So now is it Election week or Election Month?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#40]
The mail by me is fucked up beyond repair.

I am waiting for a new CPAP mask. The medical goods place is literally down the street. They are closed due to covid so they would not let me come pick it up, so they dropped it at the town post office, the same town we are both in.

From there instead of getting delivered to me, it went to a local sorting facility several towns away.
They send it to boston where it has been for 2 days. Who the fuck knows when I will get it.

I suspect all the mail in ballots will do the same thing since apparently the town post office has no ability to see that a piece of mail is addressed to someone in town and keep it in house instead it travels through multiple sorting facilities all around the state. My package was mailed 4 days ago in the same post office that my mail gets delivered from and it is up in boston.

Fuck the post office. They are grossly incompetent by their own established procedures.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top