Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Actually, most people I know that hand split wood to heat their homes...meaning 3-10 cords of wood per year hand split use splitting axes for the vast majority of splitting.  They have 8lb mauls and wedge/sledge for the real nasty stuff.  

People in the know, know mauls are not the answer for large scale splitting.  

NOTE: Splitting axes are not chopping axes.  Although they may look the same to those less knowledgeable about axe profiles and grinds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Maul...

Also, don't keep a pile of wood around for long on the ground in FL.  Termites will find it in a few days and go to town.  

Use it quickly!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Actually, most people I know that hand split wood to heat their homes...meaning 3-10 cords of wood per year hand split use splitting axes for the vast majority of splitting.  They have 8lb mauls and wedge/sledge for the real nasty stuff.  

NOTE: Splitting axes are not chopping axes.  Although they may look the same to those less knowledgeable about axe profiles and grinds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We heat our home in Texas using a majority wood, all split by hand. Four cords during most winters, 99% split with a Fiskars X27. The Maul will probably die in the barn, covered in dust while the axe lives under the seat of the SxS because it does twice the work with half the effort. It's lighter, faster, and has a sharper edge. The only benefit to the maul is driving it into the log with a sledge. However, if you start the big, ugly rounds near the edge, you'll never need to drive a wedge.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I heat with an indoor central wood furnace.  Still split with a Monster Maul... getting too old for that sumbitch though.  May have to try some of this newfangled Fiskars gadgetry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This would be a great way to get the boys interested in what you are doing OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_K5GOgUKQ

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a Grunsfer splitting maul for the larger diameter pieces.  This splitting ring works on smaller pieces.  Plus your boys could use it.  Put a log on it and smacked it a few times with a 2-3 lb maul hammer.  Made by Kindling Cracker

<a href="<a href="https://i.postimg.cc/wvDRTmHH/EF4-D653-E-F3-E8-4216-B27-E-3-F3-E389722-A8.jpg" >[url]https://i.postimg.cc/wvDRTmHH/EF4-D653-E-F3-E8-4216-B27-E-3-F3-E389722-A8.jpg">https://i.postimg.cc/wvDRTmHH/EF4-D653-E-F3-E8-4216-B27-E-3-F3-E389722-A8.jpg">[url=https://postimg.cc/hzPt2hf3]https://i.postimg.cc/wvDRTmHH/EF4-D653-E-F3-E8-4216-B27-E-3-F3-E389722-A8.jpg

This would be a great way to get the boys interested in what you are doing OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_K5GOgUKQ

I made my own.  Works great on easy to split wood like Pine and Poplar.  Hickory and Oak?  GTFO.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]

I'll take my Gränsfors Large Splitting Axe over a maul any day.
If you really want to get serious. Get an Easton Made splitter with a conveyor.
Mine will be here in June

FAST LOG SPLITTER Eastonmade 12-22 with 4 way

Good for you OP, I'm glad you made the decision to quit buying gas station wood.
Gathering wood for camp fires is a rite of passage for your boys.
When you get yourself an axe, don't leave out the boys. I didn't catch their age. Maybe their old enough to get an axe of their own.
I started my boy with a boys axe from the Peavey mfg co.
He quickly found the defect in the handle. They sent out a new handle and now I'm going to teach him how to hang it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Still wishing Gransfors Bruks wasn't so globalist woke.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
What type of tree?  Willow is not worth the effort.  Oak probably would be.

What condition is it?  All gnarled and full of knots or punky in the center, pass.  

If you have a sledge, buy a couple of wedges and go to town.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Barefoot in a skirt
Splitting with Ease - the barefoot ax-girl
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Axe when you can, maul when you must.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

She could teach these 'monster maul' fellas in this thread a few lessons.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:30:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, like how long it takes to recover from dropping a 20 lb chunk of green locust across the arch of your foot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Such nice and beautiful rounds!

But enough about the girl.  I've never seen such easy to split wood around here.  That stuff would split if I accidentally dropped it on a door stop.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#16]

@sabre_kc

Be careful with that rolled over edge on your wedge, hit it with a grinder. The rolled edges can break off from the force of the hammer strike, they  propel off with .22lr levels of force/penetration. Coworker lost his dad that way.

https://bangordailynews.com/2008/09/23/news/state/monticello-man-killed-in-wood-splitting-accident/

general

Also if it just got chopped down. it is going to be totally green, gotta season minimum 4 seasons out of rain with maximum air circulation to get it to good heating dryness.

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@sabre_kc

Be careful with that rolled over edge on your wedge, hit it with a grinder. The rolled edges can break off from the force of the hammer strike, they  propel off with .22lr levels of force/penetration. Coworker lost his dad that way.

https://bangordailynews.com/2008/09/23/news/state/monticello-man-killed-in-wood-splitting-accident/

View All Quotes
Quoted:

@sabre_kc

Good idea and good shot on the PPE. Gloves and eyepro are essential, heard about guys loosing eyes from splinters bug never someone being fatally injured. My dad picked up these wedges at an antique store years ago, no idea how old they are or where they came from. I’ll grind off the edges before the next use. Thanks for the note sir.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought an X27 a while back and it is a great tool for the money.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]
After splitting by hand for a decade with a maul I managed to break a finger and seriously bruise my shin bone within about 3 weeks. I said enough and put this thing together. Best money I’ve spent.

Attachment Attached File

May be just slightly more than you need but I wanted to share and also caution you that you can seriously hurt yourself, even if you have experience.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd make sure of what the species is first.  It it's any variety of elm... just walk away.
View Quote
Yeah elm is great firewood, but don't split it green unless you want to fight the strings.
Roll the rounds out of the way, and forget about them,, or even better, let it stand dead for about 2 years til the bark falls off. Then it splits decent
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good idea and good shot on the PPE. Gloves and eyepro are essential, heard about guys loosing eyes from splinters bug never someone being fatally injured. My dad picked up these wedges at an antique store years ago, no idea how old they are or where they came from. I’ll grind off the edges before the next use. Thanks for the note sir.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@sabre_kc

The local cops called the state ME because they thought it was a murder. State ME apparently came up, asked for an Xray of the wound, looked at it and apparently said "was this guy splitting wood when this happened using a wedge" ... So it couldn't have been first time the ME had seen/heard of it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Went back last night to take a better look.  Turns out it was palm, which is why the home owner said that it wouldn't burn.  Palm will actually burn when dry, it just burns extremely fast and smokey.  I still grabbed 5 or 6 logs to use for kindling and for when my boys just want to roast marshmallows in the backyard firepit.  If they turn out to be too much trouble to split, I'll just toss them into the conservation area behind my house...

Summary:  The wood score sucked, but I'll still buy a wedge to see if I can make some use of it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Carve into tikis!  
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Went back last night to take a better look.  Turns out it was palm, which is why the home owner said that it wouldn't burn.  Palm will actually burn when dry, it just burns extremely fast and smokey.  I still grabbed 5 or 6 logs to use for kindling and for when my boys just want to roast marshmallows in the backyard firepit.  If they turn out to be too much trouble to split, I'll just toss them into the conservation area behind my house...

Summary:  The wood score sucked, but I'll still buy a wedge to see if I can make some use of it.
View Quote
Haha.  I was picturing junky wood, but not Palm.

I'd let them dry for a couple months before trying to split.  Use a scale and weigh them weekly.  When they stop losing so much weight, then split them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Curious if you could just rent a log splitter for a 1/2 day...

May be less expensive than a E.R. visit.
View Quote

A gas splitter can put you in the ER too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#29]
These four words should get it done:

"Son, split the logs."
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm not a tree expert, but I'm guessing that it is oak.  Tree was cut down about 4 weeks ago.  Already cut into 18" logs; just needs to be split.  

Too green?  
Oak too much trouble to split?
Too small a job to justify the axe/maul/wedge expense?
View Quote
This doesn't need to be complicated. It may be harder to split green but it will season faster if you do. I wouldn't burn it until next year though.
Splitting with Ease - the barefoot ax-girl

(don't let the fact it's a barefoot woman making it look easy as hell splitting on rocks without hitting them fool you though - it is more technique than strength or equipment and she is very high on the learning curve)

ETA - beat, never seen anyone else post this...

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Fiskars Super Splitter
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I use a 4lb hammer and a wedge,they fit right in the tool box
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
fiskers X27 or whatever the current variant is.  You're welcome.

The hatchet in the same series is awesome for kindling too.

View Quote

Agreed. Splitting wood and kindling today. Fiskars wood maul and hatchet is all i use.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top