BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I always wondered about dropping things over the damaged side, like a weighted tarp or some such, to let the water pressure seal the crack... slow the water down, anyways.
View Quote

Yeah, even back then, fothering a sail over the side (or some hatch tarps in Titanic's case) was another thing they could have done but didn't.  I suppose it was a lost art from the not-long passed days of sail to steamship drivers - wouldn't occur to them.  Besides, they were unsinkable!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After reading the responses, I'd be part of the group pulling "men" out of the lifeboats.
View Quote
You ain't doin shit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Rose was rotten selfish cunt. If she just would have stayed on the first life boat jack would have had the door all to himself. Cal and Lovejoy could have just paid their way on to one of Murdoch's boats like they intended.  She was directly responsible Jack's and Lovejoy's death that night.
 That selfishness followed her her whole life. The bitch just throws the dimond away knowing full well what it could have done to help her caretaking granddaughter.  After the movie implies she died at the end look at all the pictures of herself (not her family) she had at her bedside. Let's not forget just leaving her mother high and dry after presumably spending the last of their family money to keep her in good graces with the high society while she was trying to find a wealthy husband.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rose could have scooted her ass over and made room for Jack on that stupid door she was floating on.

Fuckin' bitch.

Rose was rotten selfish cunt. If she just would have stayed on the first life boat jack would have had the door all to himself. Cal and Lovejoy could have just paid their way on to one of Murdoch's boats like they intended.  She was directly responsible Jack's and Lovejoy's death that night.
 That selfishness followed her her whole life. The bitch just throws the dimond away knowing full well what it could have done to help her caretaking granddaughter.  After the movie implies she died at the end look at all the pictures of herself (not her family) she had at her bedside. Let's not forget just leaving her mother high and dry after presumably spending the last of their family money to keep her in good graces with the high society while she was trying to find a wealthy husband.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#4]
After reading many of the post here over the years of members admitting they’d abandon women and children to save their own asses in active shooter situations I have no doubt at least some of you would trample on the necks of women and children to save yourselves in any life and death situation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:17:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quite the contrary.

You epitomize the very premise of the movie "Idiocracy". Allowing your virtues to impede your ability to succeed.

This is why the barbarians will inherit the world. They will put produce you and force their will and culture onto others. The will to power.

There is a reason the British Empire collapsed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the biggest things that separates us from the animals is the ability to rise above and overcome basic animal instinct and the ability to discover and follow moral truth accordingly. Whole aspects of our civilization depend upon it. You reflect the decline of that knowledge and ability in our society at large and baser human behavior in general.

Quite the contrary.

You epitomize the very premise of the movie "Idiocracy". Allowing your virtues to impede your ability to succeed.

This is why the barbarians will inherit the world. They will put produce you and force their will and culture onto others. The will to power.

There is a reason the British Empire collapsed.

Ironically, the implication is that you are one of the titlular subjects of Idiocracy.

The sort of men on the Titanic created the greatest civilization Mankind has ever seen. People like you reflect the decadence of civilization as baseness is elevated into virtue.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:29:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, even back then, fothering a sail over the side (or some hatch tarps in Titanic's case) was another thing they could have done but didn't.  I suppose it was a lost art from the not-long passed days of sail to steamship drivers - wouldn't occur to them.  Besides, they were unsinkable!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always wondered about dropping things over the damaged side, like a weighted tarp or some such, to let the water pressure seal the crack... slow the water down, anyways.

Placing pretty much anything over the hole can be beneficial. I didn't realize they did so little.

Without water-tight bulkheads, though, I'm not sure they could have saved the ship. Shoring, wedges, and such can't fix the fact that water can just pour over the tops of the bulkheads to such large compartments. Very poor design from a damage control perspective.

My ship would probably go down pretty quickly if we got major damage. It was definitely not designed for that, but it still has more watertight bulkheads in engineering than the Titanic. The design of my ship also lends itself to a major free surface effect when flooded. We've had flooding due to water coming in through the suppers and I had to keep watch on one of the decks to see if it got above a certain volume because we'd have some trouble if we didn't start breaking out some pumps past a certain point.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As a former HT, I've thought about this over and over.

I understand the bulkheads were not water tight. I get that they had "gaps" at the top for air flow. The question that lingers with me, could there have been a way to create a water tight bulkhead after the fact..?
I would like to think I could have mobilized the men and that fucking band to stuff mattresses and get us a fighting chance or die trying.
View Quote

No, the water tight bulk heads were water tight. There was no gap at the top. That is based on a common misunderstanding of what the problem with the ship construction was

But, the water tight bulkheads only went up to E deck (sometimes D) which was very close to the water line. With the massive breach sustained whole multi deck compartments were flooding and then spilling over into the next.

You'd have been trying to create watertight bulkheads on floors where there were none and it would have been fruitless.

She was rated for the front four compartments flooding and six were breached. If the bulkheads had extended higher it would only have slowed how quickly she sank. There is no overcoming the weight of the water she'd taken on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would have grabbed a dinning table they would have been better than a door.
View Quote

Sounds loud.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm building something that can float
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck all that noise. My woman and my children sur, everyone else is on their own. That chivalrous bullshit is about as stupid as the old British column battle formations. Nobody’s taking care of my family when I’m dead. Sorry not sorry
View Quote

Agreed.  As I understand it, all those women and children who survived and their husbands didn't, had a hard time afterwards.  Who wants to marry or support a widow with a kid or two?  Women didn't commonly work outside the home then (it wasn't unknown, just not common), so how was she going to support herself and her kid(s)?  More likely said womand + kids were on their own without an income.    I would have said families get on the boats first, that way there would be an man to support his family and keep them from poverty/starvation/etc.

This is an interesting read as well...

Sinking the Titanic Women and Children first myth
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]
No.

Just take one of the many unused life boats.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#12]
The wife & I would of lit a couple of cigars and open a bottle of the finest whiskey and see what happened next.
We’re old and she would not of went without me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Bill Burr does a great bit on the titanic.

https://youtu.be/FjLT-xI8_MA?t=323
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

With a full wooden interior and a carpenter's shop on board I think a few more floating things could have been fashioned. Nobody treated the sinking as serious until it was too late to launch lifeboats full from both sides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand the bulkheads were not water tight. I get that they had "gaps" at the top for air flow. The question that lingers with me, could there have been a way to create a water tight bulkhead after the fact..?
I would like to think I could have mobilized the men and that fucking band to stuff mattresses and get us a fighting chance or die trying.

With a full wooden interior and a carpenter's shop on board I think a few more floating things could have been fashioned. Nobody treated the sinking as serious until it was too late to launch lifeboats full from both sides.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The issue with the watertight bulkheads is commonly misunderstood.  The height of the bulkheads was based on the number of compartments the designers expected to be breached in a credible accident scenario.  If only one compartment was breached, the ship would have reached equilibrium before the water reached the top of the watertight bulkheads for that compartment.  Just like a canoe doesn’t need a sealed top to float.

Titanic was designed to remain afloat with any combination of two compartments flooded.  In a bow collision up to the first four could be flooded without sinking her.  As I understand it, the most likely accident scenarios were considered to be ramming something head on or getting T-boned by another ship, both of which would have breached fewer compartments than the actual accident.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would like to see a modern day sequel set on a budget cruise line by netflix of course.
View Quote
You could use clips from black friday and the recent DNC nominations in Somalia north to save money on cast.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Rose could have scooted her ass over and made room for Jack on that stupid door she was floating on.

Fuckin' bitch.
View Quote
An old woman on her deathbed and she isn't thinking about her husband of many decades or her family. No, her final thoughts are about some rando dude she raw dogged once on a cruise. Typical.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Interesting thread !

The women and children first thing comes in three different scenarios -

1. Enough lifeboats for all - so women and children first is just like being polite and opening a door / holding it open for a lady. You still get a place later.

2. Not enough lifeboats - then you are effectively committing suicide ( titanic scenario due to temp ) by letting women and children go first.

3. Not enough lifeboats but warm water - you are not committing suicide - just enduring a hardship.

Then there is the very reall possibility that the lady is a Karen who votes Dem and believes you are a deplorable.  Commit suicide to save her ? Many of that type would decry your chivalry as male privilege !

Me - will I help a person in distress ? Every single day.

Will I commit suicide to help a stranger ? No.

My other thoughts - the "women and children first" notion came from a time when both had far fewer rights. No equality. The whole dynamic was different.

Women now claim equality and technically at least, would be hypocrites to go along with the "women first" thing now.

Just as they are with men always paying for dinner !
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, the water tight bulk heads were water tight. There was no gap at the top. That is based on a common misunderstanding of what the problem with the ship construction was

But, the water tight bulkheads only went up to E deck (sometimes D) which was very close to the water line. With the massive breach sustained whole multi deck compartments were flooding and then spilling over into the next.

https://www.simscale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/majorDesignFlawsOfTheTitanic.png

You'd have been trying to create watertight bulkheads on floors where there were none and it would have been fruitless.

She was rated for the front four compartments flooding and six were breached. If the bulkheads had extended higher it would only have slowed how quickly she sank. There is no overcoming the weight of the water she'd taken on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.simscale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/majorDesignFlawsOfTheTitanic.png

Two part expanding foam could solve that problem, what year was that stuff invented?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm wondering how many of them trying to force their way aboard just got tossed over the side by the mass of honorable men putting women and kids into the boats.
View Quote

Not enough
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Women and Children",..first.

Would you actualy Drown for them.
View Quote

Not these days...."everything a man can do, a woman can do better..." has been the mantra for 50 years...so fuck em
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

At least one of the officers in charge of the lifeboats refused to allow men to board even as he launched mostly empty boats for lack of women and children to put in them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Man, that husband and father gag really gets a workout in GD.

Over the years, I've seen it used as an excuse to cover all manner of cowardly and despicable things. Kind of impressive, really.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Back then? Yes.

Today? Fuck no.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Men and women are equal now....  in fact, if you can't even define what a woman is why in the fuck should they get special treatment?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes I would let women and children go first.I’ve made my peace with God and I’m truly not afraid of dying.My son will never say his father was a gutless coward.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Fuckin' bitch.
View Quote

It wasn't a door. It was a part of an arch for the main staircase.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

At least one of the officers in charge of the lifeboats refused to allow men to board even as he launched mostly empty boats for lack of women and children to put in them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Nobody believed it was actually sinking, it was cold out. so why bother getting in the lifeboats and paddle around for a bit to just return to the ship when the mess was sorted out.

Also some crew heard women and children only instead of women and children first.

eta, also the water was a smooth as glass (which is why the iceberg was hard to see, no waves breaking against it), with the smooth water the lifeboats had a significant overload capacity.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Have you seen the passengers on a Carnival Cruise?

It's a floating Walmart.
View Quote

Capt: "Men, bar the doors and batten down the hatches - we're doing the world a solid."
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nobody believed it was actually sinking, it was cold out. so why bother getting in the lifeboats and paddle around for a bit to just return to the ship when the mess was sorted out.

Also some crew heard women and children only instead of women and children first.

eta, also the water was a smooth as glass (which is why the iceberg was hard to see, no waves breaking against it), with the smooth water the lifeboats had a significant overload capacity.
View Quote

Additionally, it was expected that even if she were to be sinking, because of her advanced compartmentalization that she wouldn't founder until help arrived.  Especially with the miracle of wireless help would be coming quickly.

She went down way faster than anyone expected and help didn't come as fast as anticipated either.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#33]
"Oh, you're getting on the lifeboat? Ok, that means you dont need your PFD. GIMME DAT!"
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top