User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If we tested the entire population, what percentage of people 65 and older would show a likelihood of some degree of cognitive impairment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
These conclusions are based on an analysis of over 600 adults more than 65 years-old in Nueces County, Texas,
all of whom had cognitive assessment scores indicating at least a likelihood of impairment.
If we tested the entire population, what percentage of people 65 and older would show a likelihood of some degree of cognitive impairment?

There's that aspect of it. There's also a question of how many other seniors over 65 are still driving. In other words, are the "cognitively impaired" any more or less likely to still be driving? And, more importantly, is their accident rate any higher than other seniors of similar age?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know a 89 year old guy that drives just fine..
I also know 20 year olds that couldn't drive a nail, let alone a car.
View Quote

This. Young ones texting and driving concern me the most.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There's that aspect of it. There's also a question of how many other seniors over 65 are still driving. In other words, are the "cognitively impaired" any more or less likely to still be driving? And, more importantly, is their accident rate any higher than other seniors of similar age?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These conclusions are based on an analysis of over 600 adults more than 65 years-old in Nueces County, Texas,
all of whom had cognitive assessment scores indicating at least a likelihood of impairment.

I bet if you tested everyone from 16 to 30 and everyone from 65 to 80 more in the younger group would fail than the later.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Even worse, we apparently really want to put one of two of them in the driver's seat of this nation!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Over 65 you are on you way to Mr. Magoo land.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
In my experience, it appears that the majority of drivers are mentally unfit for the task, regardless of their ages.

One thing I'll say for the old folks, I hardly ever see them staring down at a phone.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad was killed while on his bike by some geriatric 85 year old. The amount of pain and anguish he caused and still caused because he refused to hand up his keys can’t be measured. Enough negligence that he was prosecuted for my dads death.  His family should have been responsible as well for not getting him off the road.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on the individual. I know two people over 90 that live in and manage their own homes, drive 7 days a week and do their own grocery shopping with very little difficulty. I would not be afraid to ride with either one of them and if you spoke with them over the phone you would think they were in their 40s.

Neither have difficulty thinking or remembering things and both can converse on a variety of topics. They are great to talk to and both of them passed their drivers test this year without any issues.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top