[#1]
Quoted:
modern country music is gay pop music.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got your Tyler Childers right here, sweetie pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II-L8Hq0_i4
View Quote

WTF?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no problem with new country music. Some of what I like many of you openly hate. I think a lot of you hate because you won't think for yourself. It's his earlier stuff but Luke Bryan for one has some pretty good slow songs. Do I, Hunting And Fishing And Loving Every Day, and Drink A Beer are great songs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Hick-Hop.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Here is some real country music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtVeDaZxAXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAm4nHFOir0

So why can't you like both?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#6]
OP couldn't be more wronger.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Here is some real country music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtVeDaZxAXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAm4nHFOir0

They are drastically different.  I even got a Sirius subscription (Prime Country channel) in my vehicle so I can listen to what I consider real country, as the local country stations play too much of the "new" stuff.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't really pay attention to the political leanings of musicians for the most part.  

What did Sturgill Simpson do to brand him a leftist?  Of course that term is used quite loosely here, similar to fascist on DU I would imagine.
View Quote

This. Arfcom is full of shit as usual. Everyone basing their hatred on someone because of their politics in some way, shape, or form supports a person, group, product that supports leftist or Democratic policies. Leftist ideology is so ingrained in our lives that you would have nothing if you boycotted every leftist or Democratic organization out there.

For shits and giggle lets boycott Steven Spielberg and everything he has done. So no more Band Of Brothers and no more Saving Private Ryan.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Wheeler Walker Jr will change your world man.

https://youtu.be/Dr-kyeaUDr0?si=p3qzQ_8pOHaRU_x-
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wheeler Walker Jr will change your world man.

https://youtu.be/Dr-kyeaUDr0?si=p3qzQ_8pOHaRU_x-
View Quote

Yea and it's all an act.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Go listen the the BLM support commercial from Tyler Childress.

edit:

Found it.

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This. Arfcom is full of shit as usual. Everyone basing their hatred on someone because of their politics in some way, shape, or form supports a person, group, product that supports leftist or Democratic policies. Leftist ideology is so ingrained in our lives that you would have nothing if you boycotted every leftist or Democratic organization out there.

For shits and giggle lets boycott Steven Spielberg and everything he has done. So no more Band Of Brothers and no more Saving Private Ryan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't really pay attention to the political leanings of musicians for the most part.  

What did Sturgill Simpson do to brand him a leftist?  Of course that term is used quite loosely here, similar to fascist on DU I would imagine.

Yeah, I'm just interested in what Sturgill did that was lefty.  I've seen him talking to Rogan about building AR rifles and shit so I don't think he is anti-2a.  Did he insult Trump?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen - "Rodeo Clown"
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I should just sing along and support people donating my money to causes I detest?  Yeah, I'm not doing that.  Not everyone is a lefty.  I will continue to do what I can to support those that support my beliefs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tyler Childers is not country and he is a BLM cock gobbler.
View Quote

This, yet GD continues to symbolically felate him.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yea and it's all an act.
View Quote

nowaybillandted.gif
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So I should just sing along and support people donating my money to causes I detest?  Yeah, I'm not doing that.  Not everyone is a lefty.  I will continue to do what I can to support those that support my beliefs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I'm saying is you can't escape it. Just using one of the examples I posted. I'm sure you've seen BOB. It's a great series. Whether you own it, streamed it, or caught it on tv it was made by a Democrat and you either stream it on a Democratically controlled streaming service or you bought it from a left leaning retailer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good music is easier to find now than it ever has been.

Believe it or not there is music out there that isn't served to you on your nearest FM radio station.
View Quote

This has been my experience
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#21]
For me unless the music is lyrically leftist, aka Rage Against the Machine or the like, I just don't care that much.  I listen to so much music out of Europe and I would guess most of them think being able to own a gun at all is disgusting.  I find Roger Waters reprehensible but Meddle is one of the greatest albums ever made.  A lot of the artsy types lean left IME and a lot of them are great artist, musicians, etc. I just don't do a GD purity test, which is very fickle, before enjoying music.  I probably would have a lot of disagreements with the right wingers as well.

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think Jason Isbell could fall into modern country music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-z2TjikjKg&t=12s
View Quote

Also... woke leftist. He and Childers, while talented musicians, are perfect for each other.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#23]
All OP’s music is good but it’s also derivative of older country music. There’s a huge spectrum in the “country” music genre just like the “pop” music genre.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In my playlist
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In my playlist

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm with you.

Fuck all that bitch made sit to pee "just enjoy the music" faggotry. Thats the sound of defeated 'principled conservative' speak if I've ever heard it.

Stop supporting shitbags who hate everything about you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#26]
don't know how i missed this thread.   OP is wronger than anyone, has ever been, ever.

WAYLON JENNINGS - LONESOME ON'RY AND MEAN (Live In TX 1975)

Merle Haggard - Working Man Blues
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Go listen the the BLM support commercial from Tyler Childress.

edit:

Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ3_AJ5Ysx0
View Quote

The video to go with it.

Tyler Childers - Long Violent History (Lyrics)

I actually appreciate the anger in the song, but the problem with it is the confused point of view from a leftist.

If the state is killing innocent people your fight is with them, not the public at large.  The only legitimate target I saw destroyed in the summer of love might have been the local police station.  What the hell does disrupting peoples dinner or blocking traffic do to fix what they view as unjust killings by the state?

Not a damn thing, it just makes things worse.  Everyone saw how BLM went from 75% approval to dog shit in months because of their in ability to constrain their actions to impact what they are upset with.  

I think its obvious Childers is a pretty hardcore lefty judging these lyrics and him going along with the gay music video.  I will say he's not just doing a money grab.  This stuff really hurt his career, and predictably so.  He did it anyways.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  SPNI

Not a boomer either.  Gen X here.

Growing up I thought ALL country music sucked, but I liked 90's Alt and grunge at the time.

As I got older, I found I liked real country, which is OLD country.   Waylon, Willie, Merle, Cash etc.

New pop country is fucking terrible, and any man who admits to liking it should be ashamed of himself.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Much of it is labelled that on various things, but what's the difference? How is people playing acoustic string instruments and singing about rough, blue-collar, rural living not country?

I think it's the essence of country, and is more authentic than the lame shit that is on country radio. Homos like Alan Jackson and Clint Black with contrived accents and costumes from the western-wear store perform "real" country, but the Steeldrivers and Turnpike Troubadours don't?
View Quote

Well I'd say it WOULD have been called country, had this pop/rap "country" bullshit not gained steam, and now when you turn the radio to a "country" station, you don't hear bluegrass or folk music, you hear that garbage bullshit.

So, I'll stick to my "modern country is utter garbage" opinion, with the understanding that I'm calling "country" what every "country" radio station around here plays (I'm in Arkansas, FWIW, so we have as many country radio stations as we do mosquitos)

I like bluegrass and folk music.  But I call them bluegrass and folk music.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#31]

On a serious note.

I just started playing the acoustic guitar about a month ago.  Listening to some of the old school songs really show and make it clear that these old timers were some of the best guitarists out there  especially when there was not an easy way to really be exposed to music and other musicians like today. It really seems to have set the stage for the common strumming patterns and chords that we see today.

I might not have enough experience yet but it seems The country music folks followed the blues, and then today's rock and pop seems to have copied these old school country western artists.  Respect should be given to them. Accomplishing this stuff at that time is a lot different than accomplishing that today with all the tech and examples out there.

New vs old aside, thanks for a cool thread OP.  I have enjoied many of the posted videos even if they are not exactly my style of music. I got a lot out of them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/407062/download__22_-3030756.jpg

On a serious note.

I just started playing the acoustic guitar about a month ago.  Listening to some of the old school songs really show and make it clear that these old timers were some of the best guitarists out there  especially when there was not an easy way to really be exposed to music and other musicians like today. It really seems to have set the stage for the common strumming patterns and chords that we see today.

I might not have enough experience yet but it seems The country music folks followed the blues, and then today's rock and pop seems to have copied these old school country western artists.  Respect should be given to them. Accomplishing this stuff at that time is a lot different than accomplishing that today with all the tech and examples out there.

New vs old aside, thanks for a cool thread OP.  I have enjoied many of the posted videos even if they are not exactly my style of music. I got a lot out of them.
View Quote

I'm not a musician myself, just an enjoyer of music. I get what you're saying, and that's why the contemporary artists I like are mostly people playing acoustic instruments. Rhiannon Giddens even built the banjo she's playing in the video I posted earlier (and for many of her songs).

As for (apparent) technical skills, these guys impress me:

Trampled by Turtles - Wait So Long

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sung rap style through the nasal cavity for resonance.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I honestly hate Luke Combs' music. Anybody that writes/sings a song defending the actions of a crazy chick lost me.

Midland is solid and frankly it hard not to like Morgan Wallen, especially after they tried to crucify him of over the N word when he was clearly drunk out of his noggin.

Zach Bryan is a hell of a new artist too. I can and sometimes do listen to "Something in the Orange" on repeat.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Some might call this 'not country,' but how much more country can you get than a woman playing a fretless banjo that she built herself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Xlyi8Is98
View Quote

Does this play on CMT?  Seems more like folk music which has blurred genras of music generations.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#36]
90% of new music sucks balls. 8th grade level lyrics, confused band member images, run of the mill melodies, average talents, nothing inventive. I’m not old, I just understand what real talent looks like.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.

OP, I did similar to what you describe with Prime Music - searched Red Dirt and went from there.  

Turnpike Troubadours
Shane Smith and the Saints
Jason Boland & the Stragglers
Zach Bryan
Josh Abbott Band
Wade Bowen

Lots of overlap with old Texas music like Robert Earl Keen and Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Jason Isbell and Tyler Childers are pretty far left, but they still make good music.  Same with Hayes Carll.  I listen to them sing, I don't vote for them.

Chris Knight is pretty good.  I wonder what his username is when I hear this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t24TXeFXuU

Judging by previous posts, nobody is going to listen to that one either.

Good thread, OP.
View Quote

Chris Knight is a great songwriter.

His song "Love and a .45" is tremendous.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Country music died after the 90’s.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2zFF-I7e0

Tell me you didn't listen to any of the songs without telling me...
View Quote

A forced and fake nasal twang does not make it country.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Chris Knight is a great songwriter.

His song "Love and a .45" is tremendous.
View Quote
He's one of my favorites.  I saw him this year, and unfortunately his voice isn't so good anymore, but I still enjoyed the show.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#43]
OP…
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#44]
first opened in 1949, I owned this Texas dancehall in the 1980's

professional country music writer, singer, musician

skin in the game

there's music and there's the music business

don't get'em confused

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Hank Williams Jr. Blues Man

Hank Williams Sr. - Lonesome Whistle

More evidence
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
IMHO it really doesn't get much better than this. Can't say I'm a big "country music" fan, but I do love all beautiful music, no matter the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA644rSZX1A
View Quote

That's an absolute classic right there.

Country isn't my favorite genre, but what I do like of it is what I'd call a more "traditional" sound. Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard are two singers I really like.

I just can't listen to the same music decade after decade. I'm always looking for something new. If it's genuine and has some feeling, I'm in.

Lately I've probably listened to the Turnpike Troubadours more than anything else.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2zFF-I7e0

Tell me you didn't listen to any of the songs without telling me...

I will give you credit for at least offering a criticism of a song I posted, instead of some vague, irrelevant rant.

Did you listen to any Trampled by Turtles or Turnpike Troubadours?

Of the ladies, the trio singing 'Crossing Muddy Waters' is something I really enjoy hearing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Lost interest when they stopped making it in 3/4 time.

Ray Charles Three Four Time
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Does this play on CMT?  Seems more like folk music which has blurred genras of music generations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some might call this 'not country,' but how much more country can you get than a woman playing a fretless banjo that she built herself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Xlyi8Is98

I have not looked at CMT in decades.

I think there's a lot of crossover, and part of my argument here is that a lot of what is called Americana, folk, red dirt, or whatever these days, is actually genuine traditional "country" music. Many people hate "modern" country, and I'm among them, if you define the genre by what's being played on pop country radio.

Someone playing an acoustic string instrument and singing heartfelt lyrics about pain, poverty, and struggle is pretty damned country to me.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top