BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From another father, don’t do it. Gaming becomes an addiction for this generation and if you let it in the door it’s hard for their focus to be on anything else.

We don’t have it in our house. My sisters on the other hand bought my nephews gaming PCs snd PS5s. After watching the behavioral changes in them, no way I’d have it in my house.
View Quote

100% correct. If you love your kids do not do it or you just might turn out to be the enabler that allows them to melt their minds.
So many parents claim they will limit their kids screen time and monitor it but so few do it.
I have a nephew that has morphed into a thing that is almost unrecognizable. He lives in his devices. His parents completely failed him.  

Parents and politicians are blaming the tech giants for addicting their kids but it the parents fault for giving them the tools and time to do it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sounds like you have a time management problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not boomers, just realists.

My 8 year old is sitting next to me playing Minecraft right now. No way in hell I would get her a PC, let alone one that can handle gaming, yet.

It's not just the games, but turning the PC into the hub of everything that you do. Not a path I want the kids going down yet, they need to keep being kids. Way too early for them to learn how to shift priorities to fit in more PC time.

I didn't have one until college and looking back I'm still really glad about that. I spent a lot of hours on it gaming with my friends, but nothing like what I saw other kids doing, it consumed them. Both the guys I lived with that were hooked came to school with built up rigs already, they had been in the PC game since middle school. They taught the other 3 of us how to build them and how to game on them.

Hell, all I had was a PS1 and an SNES at the time and still spent a lot of time just wandering around in the woods.

Sounds like you have a time management problem.

Not really, but serious gaming and kids aren't a good mix, on PC or console. Their malleable brains are far more receptive to the feedback loops most games create.

Hell, even when I play an RPG or something I usually set a timer so I don't get sucked in too far. OP can do that for his kid sure, but is the kid gonna be obsessing about just getting back in game the whole time he's away? I know adults that are like that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Seriously, avoid gaming.  

PC gaming is top tier.  Tier 1. He’s going to build something, and a month later it’s going to be outdated and need upgrades.
View Quote

What bullshit. I ran my pc for nearly 8 years before I decided to change some things.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From another father, don’t do it. Gaming becomes an addiction for this generation and if you let it in the door it’s hard for their focus to be on anything else.

We don’t have it in our house. My sisters on the other hand bought my nephews gaming PCs snd PS5s. After watching the behavioral changes in them, no way I’d have it in my house.
View Quote

The behavior change has very little to do with games and everything to do with boys and how they are raised.

At this point, the kid is probably a loss due to his raising. The video games just keep him from bothering everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What bullshit. I ran my pc for nearly 8 years before I decided to change some things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep. The new generation Intel processors are basically unchanged over the last two, slightly better performance. Same for graphics cards. The NVidea cards are only a little better with ai generation in the 40xx over the 30xx and AMD cards you could go 7xxx or 6xxx and you would be fine for current games.

That's about 3-4 years of technology which will probably serve anyone running that stuff for another 5-8 years.

Quoted:

The behavior change has very little to do with games and everything to do with boys and how they are raised.

At this point, the kid is probably a loss due to his raising. The video games just keep him from bothering everyone else.

Failures in raising children is always the parents' fault.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually this. You dont have to get the cutting edge--

This $69 Gaming PC is INCREDIBLE

I picked up a z420 hp workstation for free after a nearby business piled it into a tech recycle bin. She runs an i5 4 core 8 thread processor and i salavaged a total of 20gb of ddr3 ram from the same bin. The hard drives were old, small platters, so i tossed them and picked up a smaller 256gb ssd for around $40 and a nvidea 1050ti for under $100. It easily runs mincraft with modded shaders. Roblox isnt a problem, and neither is modern Doom. It does struggle with Helldivers 2, but runs fine on lower settings. It's easily a school workstation if needed.

Great older system with legs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My 8 year old is sitting next to me playing Minecraft right now. No way in hell I would get her a PC, let alone one that can handle gaming, yet.
View Quote

Nah, you are out of your mind if you unironically let your kid play Minecraft but draw the line at a PC. How is she playing Minecraft? You realize that's still a computer game, right? She's basically PC gaming. Absolutely unhinged boomer take.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I've always got my computers from Ibuypower. I've tried to build one once and if one part isn't working correctly it's a fucking nightmare trouble shooting it.

But building it with a kid would be a good bonding experience that he'll remember. Use PC part picker like suggested.

Don't listen to these boomers saying it's going to rot your kids brain. You said he wants it for editing videos and creating with some gaming use....that's great, lots of careers in that field. Very worthwhile thing for him to be using. Video games are hand eye coordination and problem solving in real time. It's like an interactive puzzle. I believe they're good for you for an hour or 2 at a time.

Now kids youtube on a tablet makes you fuckin ADD autistic. That shit is legit the devil.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nah, you are out of your mind if you unironically let your kid play Minecraft but draw the line at a PC. How is she playing Minecraft? You realize that's still a computer game, right? She's basically PC gaming. Absolutely unhinged boomer take.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PS4, she had an hour to play after homework was done.

Not even close to a PC. The console can really only do one thing. I don't want her life revolving around a PC just yet, plenty of time for that as an adult.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, it is so damn easy now. No having to deal with irq adjustments and all that crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can assemble an AR lower, you can build a PC. You won’t have detents being sent into orbit at Mach 3 with a PC

Yep, it is so damn easy now. No having to deal with irq adjustments and all that crap.

Dude, that's been decades.  It's only easy to assemble the parts.  You still need a decent amount of knowledge.  How many sticks of DDR5 will boot on your mobo?  What power connectors do you need for your video card?  How much wattage will you need?  How are you dealing with cooling?  Does your mobo support the PCIe standard needed to keep up with your video card?  Which m.2 slot is for your hdd?  Which slots do you use for your RAM?  I'm not saying you can't look it up or research, but it's not like someone who has never worked on a PC can drop by the store for a box of parts and have a running system tonight.  It's like 3d printing.  It's a lot of fun, but expect tinkering and researching.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top