Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2019 1:33:21 PM EDT
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Atlantic-City-Firefighter-Beard-Born-Again-Christian-Lawsuit-506832291.html

A New Jersey firefighter has filed a civil rights lawsuit alleging that he is being forced to shave a beard he says he grew for religious reasons.

NJ.com reports that Atlantic City firefighter Alexander Smith says in his lawsuit he began growing out his beard in December as a born-again Christian. He says the department is threatening to suspend him without pay.

Fire department guidelines prohibit beards and goatees, saying facial hair can affect the seal of the breathing mask firefighters wear while battling fires.

Smith requested an accommodation for the beard Jan. 3, but the city denied his request Feb. 15, citing "overwhelming safety concerns."
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Find another job
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
In before the facial hair does not effect mask seal crowd.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
His body, his choice.

If he wants to die of CO poisoning, let him.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Is that a real thing here? Do they face fit through a straw to make osha happy lol
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
But it doesnt. People pass all the time . Ambulance company pulled the same where I worked. If it was abiut keeping you safe you would wear a motorcycle helmet in the rig
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quick question:
Do Sikhs get to have beards and turbans working for that same department? Do Muslims?

Somehow I think this would be okay for certain exalted demographics.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Great Scott!
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
His body, his choice.

View Quote
It's not his body his choice when he has teammates relying on him and may wind up having to rescue his dumb ass.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But it doesnt. People pass all the time . Ambulance company pulled the same where I worked. If it was abiut keeping you safe you would wear a motorcycle helmet in the rig
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you were in a cloud of potassium cyanide, would you rather or rather not have a beard between you and the mask seal?
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Find another job
View Quote
first post and there it is
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Let the dumb fuck grow it and the next time he goes into a smoke filled building he will die because his acba won’t be air tight.

Problem solves itself
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Medicfrost, I recognize your avatar. Its the motel6 service dog shootr.

nice
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm pretty sure God doesn't care if you have a beard or not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
His body, his choice.

View Quote
Sorry, but that is dumb. The safety rules are not their just to protect you but the other fire fighters as well. If one asshole goes down because he is not wearing his gear properly he endangers the others when they have to comes save his ass. We also know that if someone suffers some type of injury when not wearing their gear they would be looking for a handout or to sue.

The thousands receiving and suing for 9-11 benefits are a prime example. Every firefighter knows to don their mask when they go into a fire or a hazardous environment but somehow the rules went out the window on 9-11 and in the weeks and months to follow.

An old friend was with the FDNY and he grew out his beard and his Captain told him to tone it down big time for the same reason, mask sealing issues. Whether it does or does not compromise the mask seal is not the issue as it is the safety rule that has been adopted. Well he pushed back and was told shave it or get a rip and continue to get rips until you comply or get suspended. He complied and shaved it down.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
People pass all the time with the minimum fit factor but that's not a hard line between safe and unsafe.

For a SCBA, it's typically 10,000.  When I ran rescue squads, if you weren't in the 100,000s, you got a new mask or didn't pass.

It does fucking matter when you're in the middle of a burning building with a life threatening amount of scalding hot gases and fumes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you were in a cloud of potassium cyanide, would you rather or rather not have a beard between you and the mask seal?
View Quote
You can throw out whatever doomsday scenario you want. Department down the road makes them clean shave but the Draeger masks have cracks in them. Its about appearance. Make it about appearance and dont cite BS safety to justify it. We have people test with beards and pass. I myself shave clean.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sorry, but that is dumb. The safety rules are not their just to protect you but the other fire fighters as well. If one asshole goes down because he is not wearing his gear properly he endangers the others when they have to comes save his ass. We also know that if someone suffers some type of injury when not wearing their gear they would be looking for a handout or to sue.

The thousands receiving and suing for 9-11 benefits are a prime example. Every firefighter knows to don their mask when they go into a fire or a hazardous environment but somehow the rules went out the window on 9-11 and in the weeks and months to follow.

An old friend was with the FDNY and he grew out his beard and his Captain told him to tone it down big time for the same reason, mask sealing issues. Whether it does or does not compromise the mask seal is not the issue as it is the safety rule that has been adopted. Well he pushed back and was told shave it or get a rip and continue to get rips until you comply or get suspended. He complied and shaved it down.
View Quote
I will make a guess and assume you understand there was no way everyone could have worn an airpack in the collapse zone and did the work . Shit they would still be filling bottles if they had. They went in and did the job . Same way they guys at Chernobyl went in. You take care of them after . You dont lay the blame on the illness on them . Pretty low in my opinion
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't wear ppe?  Can't have job.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
At least he does claim to be a Viking/worship a raven or thunderbolt/ type of beard.

lol
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You can throw out whatever doomsday scenario you want. Department down the road makes them clean shave but the Draeger masks have cracks in them. Its about appearance. Make it about appearance and dont cite BS safety to justify it. We have people test with beards and pass. I myself shave clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a simple question.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Find another job
View Quote
This. Guy is a fucking retard.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is that a real thing here? Do they face fit through a straw to make osha happy lol
View Quote
Yes. I believe it’s every year (been a while since I was on) the masks and fitment has to go through a seal test per NFPA (OSHA for FD). If I remember right, they do a vacuum test and/or positive pressure test with an acceptable leak down over a certain period of time. A beard dramatically effects this. A full range of head motions with leak detection is also done.

If he wants to keep his beard, he can become a janitor or quit. Good luck getting on another full time department because every department I have seen, even a majority of volunteer departments, are upfront about no beards.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
A hazmat suit
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Find another job
View Quote
FPNI

You're not owed a job, it's not a right. If you can't wear a respirator, you can't do the job.

Motherfucker is the kind of guy who thinks going down in a fire and having to be rescued by those who actually give a shit is an okay situation. Obviously only gives a shit about himself, and can also GFH.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's not his body his choice when he has teammates relying on him and may wind up having to rescue his dumb ass.
View Quote
It's not just that, there can be a lot of materials that when burned can produce carcinogenic materials that can
be breathed into the lungs.

One, two, three times with inadequate protection might not be enough to cause any harm, however over
the course ones career breathing in that shit can catch up with a person.

Depending on what state laws exist that covers firefighter safety, the department/community could be on the hook for
additional health benefits and payouts.

A number of states have enacted 'heart Lung' bills to address the issue of high rates of work related cancer and heart disease
amongst firefighters and other public safety personnel.

firefighter heart and lung bill
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
His body, his choice.

View Quote
Nope. If he wants to die of CO poisoning on his OWN time, that's his business. If he wants to die of CO poisoning while he's supposed to be pulling people out of a burning building, that's the taxpayers' business.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Improper face mask seal and you can get hurt or die because you are breathing in toxic gases.  Not many religions ask you to get hurt except the ROP.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of factors at play.

My brother in law had to shave his beard because he kept failing his fit tests.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
His body, his choice.

View Quote
He’s part of a team.  Other guys depend on him either being able to rescue them at some point or not becoming a liability himself.  Maybe they can vote on it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Find another job
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nope. If he wants to die of CO poisoning on his OWN time, that's his business. If he wants to die of CO poisoning while he's supposed to be pulling people out of a burning building, that's the taxpayers' business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
His body, his choice.

Structure fires are loaded with toxic chemicals that can kill or cause lung disease or cancer in small amounts.  CO is usually the least of the concerns from a poor mask seal.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#33]
He doesn't even go to fires. He's a full-time mask maintenance dude. He says the only time he goes to a fire scene is to fill bottles.

Lol.

It helps to read the article I guess.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My college roommate was a fireman and had a beard after college.
He got chlorine gas into his air mask during a pulpmill accident.
It took several days to kill him, I understand it's a terrible way to go.
They changed the rules after.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you were in a cloud of KCN you'd probably have prison officials around you...
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
His body, his choice.

View Quote
And then he puts his brothers at risk when they have to go back in to a structure to find his asphyxiated ass.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
His body, his choice.

View Quote
This is the correct answer.  Play stupid games and all...
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quick question:
Do Sikhs get to have beards and turbans working for that same department? Do Muslims?

Somehow I think this would be okay for certain exalted demographics.
View Quote
My Wyoming brother gets it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Please explain what part of being a born again Christian mandates a beard?  I must have missed that in the Bible.
View Quote
Well . . . there are probably some small sects that require beards.  Just as likely he is a hipster who wants his beard and willing to pimp religion to try to get it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
He doesn't even go to fires. He's a full-time mask maintenance dude. He says the only time he goes to a fire scene is to fill bottles.

Lol.

View Quote
Fuck reading. I want to be outraged.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My college roommate was a fireman and had a beard after college.
He got chlorine gas into his air mask during a pulpmill accident.
It took several days to kill him, I understand it's a terrible way to go.
They changed the rules after.
View Quote
Yup.  Once when a young maintenance superintendent at a power plant, I had two guys respond to a chlorine leak, not shaven clean.  Both survived but with a bad case of chemical pneumonia.  They both said it was like drowning in your own fluids, and being awake for it. At the time, we did not have a shave policy, but that particular incident made us change it.  Everyone in the production department, had to pass a fit test and be no beard, limited mustache.  My two guys that had experienced it, further recommended to everyone that might need to don a mask, to keep a couple fresh disposable razors in the their tool box.  No repeat performances were desired on their part.

Great was the weeping and gnashing of teeth,  the policy stayed in place about twenty years.  It was changed after I left, that each plant and crew, had to have minimum of two clean shaved personnel at all times.  Razors were on hand for all, with the understanding that anyone may have to shave if extra hands were needed, no exceptions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Let the dumb fuck grow it and the next time he goes into a smoke filled building he will die because his acba won’t be air tight.

Problem solves itself
View Quote
except as referenced above, two or more firefighters may be at risk saving his sorry ass if he succumbs to smoke inhalation
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol.

View Quote
That's a duty assignment within the department.
His official job title is a firefighter, which requires him to be clean shaven.
And just because his current assignment is as the mask dude, doesn't mean
that's his job within the department for as long as he want's it. He can be reassigned
at any time and he was no right to complain about it.

If he still doesn't like it, then fine, create a special non-firefighter civilian position that
doesn't require the duties of a firefighter at a much lower pay scale.  See how he likes that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
His body, his choice.

View Quote
except when other depend on his ass to be alive to help them live.

Firefighting is a team sport.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a while.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A hazmat suit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A hazmat suit
You're not very good at this, are you?
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
His body, his choice.

View Quote
If he drops in the middle of a burning building, someone else will have to risk his own life dragging his sorry ass out of there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you were in a cloud of KCN you'd probably have prison officials around you...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ad infinitum like a mofo.

Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lol.

View Quote
If his job description is firefighter then it doesn’t really matter if he’s assigned to an air resources unit.

The department should either change the job description of the air resource tech or start requiring him to rotate to a seat on a fire rig.  I would be doing that just for proficiency if he still held the role of FF.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You cannot get as good a seal with a beard. Is he a maried AMISH?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top