Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2016 4:07:29 PM EDT
My old platoon sgt posted this today of FB. Just some back story we served in Somalia back in 93. IIRC he was always in the rear with the gear while we made daily patrols out in the Mog. We got shot at a few times but it was never anything too serious and nothing like what the guys and girls in the past years have gone through. The worst injury we had over there was one of our dipshits shot off the tip of his pinky with a 9mm.  I know everyone deals with dangerous situations in their own way but I asked some guys in my old unit what did he experience differently than what we did. No one could come up with an answer. He was always sitting in the commo room while we were outside the wire, I never once remember him going out with us. Then last year I ran into a guy on my block who said that he was going someplace quiet for the 4th because of his PTSD. I asked him what did he do over there. He said he was motorpool.  Is this the new look at me fad?

Here is what my old PSG posted.

I, as a combat veteran, have chosen to sustain from the independence day activities. I have great difficulty with explosions, loud booms and bright flashing lights, especially those that resemble muzzle flashes. Please do not take this as disrespect,I have been blessed with the honor and the opportunity and have paid my respects to our glorious nation by serving our citizens without regard for my life. I do not expect any of you to understand nor do I ask you to change anything you plan to do, all I ask is that you please forgive me for being unable to join you in this celebration. Thank you. Your average American combat veteran
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

My old platoon sgt posted this today of FB. Just some back story we served in Somalia back in 93. IIRC he was always in the rear with the gear while we made daily patrols out in the Mog. We got shot at a few times but it was never anything too serious and nothing like what the guys and girls in the past years have gone through. The worst injury we had over there was one of our dipshits shot off the tip of his pinky with a 9mm.  I know everyone deals with dangerous situations in their own way but I asked some guys in my old unit what did he experience differently than what we did. No one could come up with an answer. He was always sitting in the commo room while we were outside the wire, I never once remember him going out with us. Then last year I ran into a guy on my block who said that he was going someplace quiet for the 4th because of his PTSD. I asked him what did he do over there. He said he was motorpool.  Is this the new look at me fad?

I, as a combat veteran, have chosen to sustain from the independence day activities. I have great difficulty with explosions, loud booms and bright flashing lights, especially those that resemble muzzle flashes. Please do not take this as disrespect,I have been blessed with the honor and the opportunity and have paid my respects to our glorious nation by serving our citizens without regard for my life. I do not expect any of you to understand nor do I ask you to change anything you plan to do, all I ask is that you please forgive me for being unable to join you in this celebration. Thank you. Your average American combat veteran

View Quote
View Quote
Sustain or abstain.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It started a couple years ago.

Special snowflakes need their attention.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sustain or abstain.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sustain or abstain.  

That's what he wrote!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]

I have Roman candle wars with my friends who are combat vets.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a fag
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have Roman candle wars with my friends who are combat vets.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still have a couple of WWII & Korean combat vets here that get a front row seat to the July 4th festival, they seem to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I think majority of it is BS. Just seeking attention and wanting everyone to know they are a "combat" veteran. I actually like hearing it. I always tell the wife "Ahhh, sounds almost like Iraq. If only there was a helicopter flying around, it would be perfect."
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember the "Don't shoot off your fireworks around my house as I have PTSD" facebook chain last year too.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I'M A HARDCORE SOLDIER.  I DEPLOYED AND KILL PEOPLE.  I AM ARMY STRONG. I CAN DO ANYTHING!

Except....

I have PTSD and fireworks bother me.

Veterans trying to become the next protected class. Fucking retarded. I hope the guy dies in a fucking VA line.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a hard time with fireworks, to tell you the truth.  My last deployment was nearly 10 years ago, and I was not diagnosed with PTSD even though I did seek counseling.

I really enjoy watching fireworks, but ever since my last deployment, I can only take a few minutes of them before I start looking for a quiet spot.

I also don't do well in crowds anymore.

If somebody tells me that they have a hard time with these things after a deployment, even if I know their deployment didn't consist of much actual combat, I try to offer support instead of judgment.

Everybody handles their combat and/or deployment experiences differently, OP.  I consider myself pretty damn mentally tough, but fireworks and crowds are not my favorite things in the world anymore.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, they're frequently the types to go out of their way for a "thank you for your service," military discounts at places which don't advertise them (even places which cater to military or vets), or free breakfast, lunch, AND dinner on Veteran's Day.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Unrelated, but this is the best veteran+fireworks story I've ever read.

Anyhoo, someone, whom I don't know, but apparently unrelated to the survivors of the artillery shell/Black Cat incident, decided that this required a stern response, right smartly.

Counter-battery fire came in the form of two artillery shells and a smoke bomb zeroing in on the culprits.

Passing over our crates in the bloody process, I might add.

This, of course, necessitated answering fire missions of several minutes duration, culminating in an artillery shell bouncing gracefully from roof-to-roof of several innocent vehicles merely watching the display, before detonating spectacularly above a hapless Plymouth Neon and bringing the attention of Johnny Law.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think that nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL muzzle flashes are nearly invisible during the day.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]

I don't disagree with this, however, I think a little bit of common courtesy could be given by those that feel it is necessary to keep lighting off mortars after midnight in town.  Not everyone wants to stay up and party with you all night and those little plugs don't do shit with mortars going off a block from your house

Basically it boils down to not being an asshole when you live next to others in the city.  Feel free to buy some property out in the country and do whatever you want whenever you want but when you live in town you should abide by the cities noise ordnance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with this, however, I think a little bit of common courtesy could be given by those that feel it is necessary to keep lighting off mortars after midnight in town.  Not everyone wants to stay up and party with you all night and those little plugs don't do shit with mortars going off a block from your house
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not everyone wants to sleep either.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

I suspect there have been men (combat veterans) who since the inception of gunpowder disdain loud noises. There was a period when I 'over reacted' to fireworks noise...and I don't have to apologize to you for a fucking thing.

Now it's just the 'joyous noise of freedom'. Time heals most all wounds.

This guy just apologized for and explained his upcoming absence from the festivities, he asked no 'snowflake' status.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then move out into the country and party until you drop but when you choose to live in town then you need to abide by the noise ordnance that is most likely in place and you should stop at midnight (or whatever time it is where you live).

ETA: If you choose not to play by the rules then don't get pissed off when I call the cops and report you since I have to get up and work the next day and need to get sleep since my job is mentally demanding most days.
ETA 2: Again, it all comes down to not being an asshole to your neighbors otherwise you are the one that looks like the "special little snowflake" that doesn't have to follow the rules.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I suspect there have been men (combat veterans) who since the inception of gunpowder disdain loud noises. There was a period when I 'over reacted' to fireworks noise...and I don't have to apologize to you for a fucking thing.  

This guy just apologized for and explained his upcoming absence from the festivities, he asked no 'snowflake' status.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he is being a snowflake.

If he didn't want attention, he wouldn't have posted shit on facebook.  The man is looking for attention.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'M A HARDCORE SOLDIER.  I DEPLOYED AND KILL PEOPLE.  I AM ARMY STRONG. I CAN DO ANYTHING!

Except....

Veterans trying to become the next protected class. Fucking retarded. I hope the guy dies in a fucking VA line.
View Quote

hehehehe
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#23]
We live in a neighborhood just outside the "city limit" sign...we will be mortaring away as usual.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Shoot whiny vets with rubber bullets?

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a hard time with fireworks, to tell you the truth.  My last deployment was nearly 10 years ago, and I was not diagnosed with PTSD even though I did seek counseling.

I really enjoy watching fireworks, but ever since my last deployment, I can only take a few minutes of them before I start looking for a quiet spot.

If somebody tells me that they have a hard time with these things after a deployment, even if I know their deployment didn't consist of much actual combat, I try to offer support instead of judgment.

Everybody handles their combat and/or deployment experiences differently, OP.  I consider myself pretty damn mentally tough, but fireworks and crowds are not my favorite things in the world anymore.

View Quote

What this guy said.

But, like him, I don't go to the media, FB, or post signs in my lawn asking for "respect."

I'll just pound a couple of tall boys and play some video games.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If he didn't want attention, he wouldn't have posted shit on facebook.  The man is looking for attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Shitloads more people than vets have PTSD.

Get treatment.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#28]
You keep that shit to yourself.

There are a couple dozen guys here that have more time on a toilet seat than that sgt has in combat.
boo hoo remf dont like loud noises - take pill put in some ear plugs and take a nap, go to church, hide in mommas basement, whatever
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#29]
DUUUPPPPEEEEE!

And this gets posted every year.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think a lot of reporters have PTSD from those rubber bullets
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's what he wrote!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sustain or abstain.  

That's what he wrote!

But I'm almost positive he didn't write it, I believe it's a copy/pasta thing going around, I've seen that and similar going around before. Maybe he was just sharing it for others out there that it may effect and it had nothing to do with him personally. Maybe, I don't know for sure, just throwing that possibility out there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#32]
A bunch of fucking boot being boots.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think majority of it is BS. Just seeking attention and wanting everyone to know they are a "combat" veteran. I actually like hearing it. I always tell the wife "Ahhh, sounds almost like Iraq. If only there was a helicopter flying around, it would be perfect."
View Quote

Yep. Weak bitches that want people to acknowledge how self important they see themselves as being.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Out of all the combat vets I know, only one of them claims fireworks cause him PTSD. He's also anti-2A

What type of shit did he experience to give him this PTSD? He sat on a base in Afghanistan for an entire tour doing inventory.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#35]
LOL.  I am looking forward to watching the Fireworks show on Saturday night and then standing near my Squad car with bright flashing lights and directing traffic so folks can get out of town. And the I'll do it again on Monday night.  That guy is a pussy or he's just reinforcing his VA claim of PTSD.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm sure there are guys who really have PTSD out there and who need treatment.  And they have my sincere and heartfelt sympathy.

However, it appears that a lot of guys are glomming onto the PTSD bandwagon these days.

Not just the vets either, people are claiming PTSD for all kinds of stuff.  Like getting bit by a dog or having to read The Great Gatsby at Harvard and be oppressed by whitey.

Here's a true story -

A while back, the Library of Congress decided to have a whole bunch of WWII vets write out their WWII experiences so they could be preserved in some kind of "greatest generation" file.

A whole shitload of vets wrote their story and submitted it.

So when the editors started checking up on the stories, they found that the vast majority were pure bullshit.

All these REMFs wrote out these bold tales of combat heroism and hardship and mailed them in.

It's a shame because the REMFs probably had a lot of very interesting true stories they could have contributed to the record.

Ever read Bill Mauldin's books "Up Front" and "The Brass Ring"?  He was just a cartoonist for Stars and Stripes but his books are very interesting.

Another source of BS is the way people tell you a Luger was taken by his granddad from a dead german officer.

Or maybe his granddad traded a bottle of Italian vino for it?  Perhaps?

Or maybe granddad ordered it from an ad in the back of Popular Mechanics in 1955?

Always a dead german officer.  Apparently live officers and all enlisted guys carried no weapons of any kind.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Your average American combat veteran

View Quote

Fuck you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Out of all the combat vets I know, only one of them claims fireworks cause him PTSD. He's also anti-2A

What type of shit did he experience to give him this PTSD? He sat on a base in Afghanistan for an entire tour doing inventory.
View Quote

Somalia 93, pre Oct 3rd. Just talked to my old squad leader and even he said that he never went out of the university compound.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#39]
My brother hash tagged #veteransagainstfireworks on Instagram last year.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Then move out into the country and party until you drop but when you choose to live in town then you need to abide by the noise ordnance that is most likely in place and you should stop at midnight (or whatever time it is where you live).

ETA: If you choose not to play by the rules then don't get pissed off when I call the cops and report you since I have to get up and work the next day and need to get sleep since my job is mentally demanding most days.
ETA 2: Again, it all comes down to not being an asshole to your neighbors otherwise you are the one that looks like the "special little snowflake" that doesn't have to follow the rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF THAT FRISBEE LANDS IN MY YARD AGAIN I'M CALLING THE COPS ON YOU LITTLE BASTARDS

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a guy that served in Iraq tell me that he was triggered when I ripped off a belt on one of my PKMs years ago.

He said the AKs also triggered him.

Somebody tells me that, I'm not going to argue with them or make fun of them.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't bullshitting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

heh
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#43]
My BIL is a Vietnam Vet who has had trouble with this since the late 1980's and is really bad now in his old age. Out of respect for him, I don't use loud shit around him. He just goes in the cabin when the 4th fireworks start and turns up the TV. I get it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Had a neighbor growing up that was in Vietnam.

Whenever we would play cops and robbers wi5h our cap guns, he would freak out and hide out in his basement.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I remember when I was a kid, fireworks and dinnerware was the only shit you could buy Made in China
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#46]

I on the other hand get excited about fireworks.

Maybe because they DO remind me of gunshots and explosions.

Don't be such a fucking pussy about it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#47]

YUP.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You sound like my oldest daughter, who was in the army in Iraq towards the end of our active involvement there.  

Fireworks are really the only thing that bothers her, but she will go inside and sit someplace quiet when they start. It's not the big, loud, booming ones that get her, it's the little pop-pop-pops, always with the kids running around her neighborhood, that make her a little jumpy. Shooting guns doesn't bother her at all, and if she has any other PTSD issues, she doesn't tell me about them. Her husband is still active duty, and got back from Afghanistan last year, so we'll see how he handles fireworks soon.

I know I can look forward to a phone call from her every 4th, as chatting with her Papa seems to chill her out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Except....

View Quote
Yep I have a buddy coming down that has been in all kinds of crazy shit.

He was the QRF on the ground at FOB keating and we plan to shoot off tons of fireworks and tannerite.

If the shit bothers you put earplugs in, crawl under a blanket and hug your DD214.

Loud noises affect me and get me pissed off to a new level sometimes,

But I love as it just shows I'm still alive.

He has been through all kinds of crazy shit and his PTSD doesn't keep

Him from enjoying life.

Some Vets need help I got it, but damn guys you made it, thank God your

Still here and live, live like there is t a tommorow.

If not for you, do it for all of our buddies that didn't make it back home.

I don't know why I deserved to live while others didn't, but I figure God has a

Stack of Conops waiting on me and until then I'm going to enjoy every day on this

Planet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
I understand

I just talk to myself and say relax fucker your here with your wife

Kids are have fun smile and fucking chill out.

Crowds I just hate so I get it, I just tell myself shits ok man just the fuck chill out

If it gets too bad I just go out and have a smoke.

Most of the time I just look at the women and make fun of the fatties

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top