User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:54:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This. I’m in the totality and it was perhaps the most incredible natural phenomenon I’ve ever witnessed.  

Was not expecting how impressive it was. Thought it was all hype.
View Quote

I had been in the 90%+ plus range last time and was pretty amazed by that. I was in totality this time and was completely blown away by it. Completely different experience. Girl told me it was the difference between a peck on the cheek and full intercourse.

Only in GD can people find a way to poo poo anything and everything.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Interesting take, and I believe every bit of it.

Over hyped, over played, no one cared.

“Get two days worth of food and gas”

Please.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The eclipse was awesome. The hype and social response was outrageously embarrassing.

We traveled to Forest Ohio where their local government put out a 2 page letter to residents to prepare for the event.
Many people there had their entire yards roped off to prevent the hordes from parking on their lawn. There were no hordes.
Quite a few roped off their yards to charge for parking for the hordes. There were no hordes and nobody paying for parking.
There were thousands of T-shirts for sale for the 2 or 3 hundred people that showed up.
Every business had signs up telling the public that restrooms were for paying customers only. There were very few paying customers.

The show was literally everywhere. Every parking lot, every side street, every park and sidewalk. Nobody needs to park on your lawn.
It wasn't a good look. Unfriendly, uninviting, scared. The government and public over reaction was very covid-like.
Apparently, we haven't learned anything.

“Get two days worth of food and gas”

Please.

There were a fucking lot of people who went to see it. A stupefying number of people.

But the vast swath of the country that was in the path of totality many there were an awful lot of places to go to watch it.

On Sundays, I work in a slightly nicer restaurant in a decent sized town along a couple of interstates that were good routes to the path of totality. We got absolutely smoked this week with eclipse travelers, as did most of the other decent restaurants in town.

I have a suspicion the interstate towns around the path of totality saw more  economic boost from it than the towns inside the path.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Every "Government" warning I saw was about too many people congregating in a small area at one time and using up the resources of that area, such as gas and food. Everything else has been low IQ hysteria by people I expect it from.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Some people find it neat to experiance primal things. I tried to imagine what it would feel like when our ancestors went through the same thousands of years ago.

2017 was neater, the sky turned red. It was Biblical feeling in nature.

Its ok to enjoy natural phenomenom. If people get geeked up for it, I think that is a good thing. Nature is cool and a lot bigger than any one of us. Add the rarity of it happening and like visible comets, it is somthing nature fans look forward to.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as the hype around this one goes, if it wasn't for Arfcom I don't think I would have seen any of it, just a couple "eclipse is coming" google feed stories. And I live in the area of totality. So if you were deluged by horror stories, that might say more about the type of news you search for than it does about the general amount of hype around this event
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#8]
social media.

i dont get the hype, just another day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't get this place sometimes, how can you not look up at that and marvel at how awesome the universe is - but nah, I'll get all pissed about people enjoying an event that may never occur again in their lifetimes. It's almost pathetic.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't get this place sometimes, how can you not look up at that and marvel at how awesome the universe is - but nah, I'll get all pissed about people enjoying an event that may never occur again in their lifetimes. It's almost pathetic.
View Quote

There is no lack of immature edge lords here, imagine bragging about not seeing an eclipse. It is pathetic and stupid.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#11]
It was cool but the best thing was it being 74F and sunny in Ohio the first week of April.
It was a beautiful day.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Simpsons predicted ARFcom years ago

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is it. Next total eclipse event for North America will be in 2044, and mostly in Canada. For the US. it will only be in the Dakotas and Montana. That's a bit of a wait for the next one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This was my first I’ve seen in totality.  I’ll have to admit, it’s in the top 10 natural things I’ve ever seen.

This is it. Next total eclipse event for North America will be in 2044, and mostly in Canada. For the US. it will only be in the Dakotas and Montana. That's a bit of a wait for the next one.

Quoted:
First total eclipse here. Was awesome for about 4 minutes. Next one in US is 2044. Western US but not much of the country will see it.

I guess, if you don't want to count Alaska as a part of North America or the US in 2033....
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sydney Australia is directly in the path of one in just 4 years from now.
That might be a fun trip, for many different reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sydney Australia is directly in the path of one in just 4 years from now.
That might be a fun trip, for many different reasons.

Australia has quite a few coming in the next couple of decades.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
social media.

i dont get the hype, just another day.
View Quote

This is where I landed.

Herd mentality ran wild on this one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#16]
End times eclipse?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You saw both total eclipses from the same location?
View Quote
2017 and 2024 in totality were both visible from the same place, as long as you lived near Carbondale, IL or Cape Girardeau, MO.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#18]

That is hysterical.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Luxor in 2027 will be a show
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"Get two days worth of food and gas"

Please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The eclipse was awesome. The hype and social response was outrageously embarrassing.

We traveled to Forest Ohio where their local government put out a 2 page letter to residents to prepare for the event.
Many people there had their entire yards roped off to prevent the hordes from parking on their lawn. There were no hordes.
Quite a few roped off their yards to charge for parking for the hordes. There were no hordes and nobody paying for parking.
There were thousands of T-shirts for sale for the 2 or 3 hundred people that showed up.
Every business had signs up telling the public that restrooms were for paying customers only. There were very few paying customers.

The show was literally everywhere. Every parking lot, every side street, every park and sidewalk. Nobody needs to park on your lawn.
It wasn't a good look. Unfriendly, uninviting, scared. The government and public over reaction was very covid-like.

"Get two days worth of food and gas"

Please.
The 2017 eclipse was a little more like what they described.  People were selling tickets to their yards and gas stations and restaurants had long lines.

People who wanted to see their second one learned their lesson, and prepared a little better.  We packed some food, and filled the tank a couple hours before and 40 miles from our site.  We avoided cities and routes that would take us near one if possible.  It also helped that people were staying in town before and after.

If there were people hoping for a repeat of 2017 and had visions of stacks of Benjamins from parking cars on their lawn, they would have been disappointed.  News hypes everything, so that schtick is as old as time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#21]
The one thing I have yet to see, and would like to see, is an eclipse right around sunrise/set.  Low in the sky over the ocean.  Not so low it's totally lost in the scattering, but low enough that the sun is a big orange ball.  I wonder if you could still make out the corona?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Been wondering myself.
View Quote

psyop
and we've become a country of pussies scared of our own shadow
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Total Eclipses in US history

1778 1806 1869 1878 1900 1918 1925 1932 1963 1970 1979 2017 2024

The last two have had a historically high level of mobility of a large population base relative to previous eclipses.  It is a rare celestial event.  As for boomers they’ll move onto something f else.
View Quote

I managed drive a bit north and get to see it in totality.  Wow that was an amazing experience.  Anything less than totality is not really a big deal.  Weather was perfect.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#25]
It was a very cool experience yesterday to be in totality.   My first one, maybe my only one.  Seeing my 8 y.o. daughter go bonkers when darkness hit was maybe the best part.  

It lasts only a few minutes and there's so much to take in. The second that totality begins you know you're on the clock and you want to just absorb and remember as much as you can.  I spent my few precious minutes videoing my kids reaction and the sky around, looking at the corona through binoculars, and then for a little bit putting down the devices and just taking it in with the naked eye. I had a drink in one hand too and I may have toasted the sky.  The sun and the moon, they did a heck of a job!  And the weather was perfect.

I wish I could go back 24 hours and do it again.  3 minutes, 37 seconds was not enough time!  But it was a gift.  It was amazing.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The one thing I have yet to see, and would like to see, is an eclipse right around sunrise/set.  Low in the sky over the ocean.  Not so low it's totally lost in the scattering, but low enough that the sun is a big orange ball.  I wonder if you could still make out the corona?
View Quote

I was thinking about that yesterday after seeing the eclipse, a sunset one could be amazing.   Actually I'd wader they are all amazing
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Watched it from the roof at work in NW Ohio, perfectly clear sky, probably ideal conditions. It was a little spooky and pretty cool, but not something I'll remember a week from now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In the 54 years I have been on the fucking rock, there have been maybe 2 total eclipse that have been where I could see them.

I caught one in SC a few years ago.
Today was rain.

I remember growing up a few partials and the same, all rained out.

To geeks, an Eclipse is something unique

View Quote

I've been here for two partials and one total.

It's rare enough to be cool.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I looked at Forest and Sycamore as potential places to get an extra minute of totality without having to travel too far to get it.

Wondered how crowded either would get. Guess it was about as dead as I would have guessed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I dared to ask that question on another site and got roasted.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#31]
It was pretty bad ass.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#32]
15 hour day for 4 minutes but it really was that last 5% or so that really mattered. People weren’t kidding about it being an all or none sort of thing. Worth it
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife and her friend drove a state away to see a full eclipse. Seemed silly to me. I stayed at home, the eclipse was nearly a full eclipse.  I watched it from my neighbor's yard.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Amazing experience for me and my wife.  One of the very few times the hype was surpassed by the event.  By ALOT. We had 3 minutes of totality with almost perfect clear skies and it was awesome.  In fact I have been a little depressed today because I will more than likely never see one again and I really would like to.  It was too short.  This is one case where 99% is not even close to 100%.

Terrible pic.  But it’s mine.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#35]
So I live on the edge of totality zone. home was 99.7 but traveled  into the 100% zone. By all accounts of  those who stayed in 99.7 it was " meh, looked through the glasses saw a dark circle over the sun, looked kind of shady outside but wasn't dark. However, in the 100% zone it was hands down the most impressive visual  that had to absolutely terrify ancient humans. The sky goes dark.  above you. like night time dark, and you can look up with the naked eye because the sun is FULLY blocked, no glasses and where once was a sun is now a black circle with a razor sharp white ring around it. If you had no understanding of what was happening you would assume the sun had gone out and the world was ending. I went from a "meh ill check it out in the parking lot" guy in 2017 to honestly considering traveling out of the country for the next one. Also i feel so guilty for not forcing other " meh" family members to come with.

To each their own but never give anyone shit for being excited about rare natural occurrences. I cant fathom trying to be to cool for the eclipse, you have to be a super miserable person to have issues with others enjoying  the time they have
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#36]
There are only two opinions on a total eclipse. Those who think it's meh, and those who have seen one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Chicago area resident here... In 2017, I saw totality in Kentucky as part of a road trip to Florida.  All my friends back home were overwhelmed by the hype and underwhelmed with the partial eclipse.  Knowing this one was coming, I started pondering plans for the trip, initially focusing on traveling to Dallas.  Well, life got in the way, so those plans never materialized, but I did manage to drive to southern Illinois (Robinson) to see this eclipse.  It was worth it.  

The media here really hyped up the eclipse for Chicago, but it was still a partial eclipse, and there is no comparing the two. I can imaging the same reaction from a lot of people here as with 2017, "well that was dull."  On the other hand, seeing the partial eclipse when in the path of totality just builds the anticipation, and then the 3+ minutes of actual totality were just incredible to see.  ABC / Nat Geo's 2 hour special on the eclipse did a good job of covering totality, although it would suck to have had your eclipse vision ruined by a bunch of nosy camera lights.

I took a bunch of pics on my camera, but wasn't doing anything fancy with it.  These photos are heavily cropped, as most of the pics were just empty blackness.  The first two were otherwise unprocessed.  The last one was processed a little to clear up some of the glare.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is where I landed.

Herd mentality ran wild on this one.
View Quote

The only "herd mentality" is the one where the GD bros feel the need to out miserable each other.

It's no wonder most of y'all have no friends.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My wife and her friend drove a state away to see a full eclipse. Seemed silly to me. I stayed at home, the eclipse was nearly a full eclipse.  I watched it from my neighbor's yard.
View Quote

Anything less than 100%, why bother? A total eclipse, on the other hand, is a whole different deal.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whatever makes you happy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#41]
You've been around quite a few eclipses in your life time?

No you haven't.

The totality is unlike anything you can really describe, its very moving.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
People who have seen a partial think they have seen an eclipse.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#43]
You can see a lot of total eclipses in your lifetime as long as you are not poor.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep, I don't get it. To me it's the same as seeing a rainbow, or some other rare sight. Not that big of a deal......sure as hell wouldn't drive hours to see an eclipse for a couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yep, I don't get it. To me it's the same as seeing a rainbow, or some other rare sight. Not that big of a deal......sure as hell wouldn't drive hours to see an eclipse for a couple of minutes.
View Quote

I really think it's better this way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Because its cool as fuck thats why.
View Quote

A partial eclipse is pretty meh.  Being in the area of totality is like watching a sunset for the first time x 10.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I started making plans to see this one after experiencing the last one in 2017. Totality is that neat and worthwhile of an experience. Might not be my last, either.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#48]
It was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen.  

To look up at a twilight sky, so swift it seemed as if brought on by a lightswitch ...seeing planets emerge ... and seeing a big black hole where the sun was supposed to be ... and the crown of the corona around it ... the sunset-esque colors all around the perimeter of the horizon ... the color of the sky around the sun - a deep neon-ish blue/purple - colors, a gradient of colors I don't think I've ever seen in my life...
... it brought me to tears.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Luxor in 2027 will be a show
View Quote

I was told that there should be 7+ minutes of totality!

We have 3:30ish seconds in Houlton Maine yesterday. I'd love to go but Egypt is kinda sketchy and scammy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree and I live where it was 100%.
It was cool looking but wasn't even the best part of my day, certainly not life changing or anything like that.
Being 74F, dry, sunny, little wind was the nicest day of the year so far, that was the best part of yesterday.

I've been stuck by lightning, that was a lot more memorable.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top