BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What could I get for a used 2080ti right now? I'm not a miner, I game. Card kept the factory clocks the entire time.

Where would be a good place to list it?
View Quote
Just a heads up in case you don't watch stuff like this super close. As of the 3 days ago, any income for a good or service over $599 into your paypal or venmo or whatever online payment account, in a calendar year, will become taxable income unless you can prove that the income was a loss.

This is enforced through the online payment processor (they are the one's who report it to the IRS).    

You can read about it here for example:

https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407389460499

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I went from a 670 x2 SLI to a 1660 and now a 3080ti all within two months
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The queue closed months ago and no new entries are allowed.  I have been waiting on my card for about 6 months now, based on how the queue is moving, there is a reasonable chance that my turn will never come before the next generation rolls around.
View Quote

I've been in the queue so long the original 3070 I signed up for has been updated to a new SKU. 3070 FTW3, if I remember right. Must be about a year now.....

Fortunately I got lucky and got a 3060 at MSRP. Will run it until I get the 3070, if ever.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:42:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just a heads up in case you don't watch stuff like this super close. As of the 3 days ago, any income for a good or service over $599 into your paypal or venmo or whatever online payment account, in a calendar year, will become taxable income unless you can prove that the income was a loss.

This is enforced through the online payment processor (they are the one's who report it to the IRS).    

You can read about it here for example:

https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407389460499

View Quote
Cash is king
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was able to get a 3080ti FTW Ultra for retail prices after waiting about 6 weeks
View Quote
The EVGA queue system is closed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Meh, wake me up when GPUs are readily available and not at stupid prices.
View Quote

See you in a few years...
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think that's going to happen.  My original plan when the 3000's launched was wait for the whole thing to calm down.  Let those who super can't wait pay the crazy prices and I will just upgrade later after the storm passes.

....here we are over a year later, nothing has changed, at all.  I am fairly sure that "get lucky or pay double", is the new normal.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was able to get a 3080ti FTW Ultra for retail prices after waiting about 6 weeks

I had queue registrations for 7 different cards since March of last year, with none coming up for purchase.  They cut it down to only allowing two active registrations back in October and that didn't make anything better.  It's a good idea, but unfortunately just isn't working out.

The 3090 Ti announcement is a huge "fuck you" to the gamer side of things.  Uses the same GA102 core that that 3080, 3080 Ti, and regular 3090 use, so it further dilutes production.  Given the likely specs, it's probably not even 5% faster than the original 3090.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm still on a 1080TI anything Im missing?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ray tracing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too, except mine isn't the Ti.  1080 was/is such a great card, but yes. The 1080 is a 5 year old card and the 3070/3080 are a large performance jump.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#14]
3090Ti coming out means decreased production efforts on the other 3000 series GPUs. Although there is the 3050 coming.

So you can either get top of the line or bottom of the line.

Good luck out there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I sold my MSI 5700XT Mech OC for $850 and just bit the bullet and paid a couple hundred extra for an EVGA 3070 FTW3.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
3090Ti coming out means decreased production efforts on the other 3000 series GPUs. Although there is the 3050 coming.

Good luck out there.
View Quote

That 3050 is going to get vacuumed up by the miners.  8 GB card, lower power usage, perfect for ethereum.

Until this tulip mania burns itself out, no one's buying anything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That 3050 is going to get vacuumed up by the miners.  8 GB card, lower power usage, perfect for ethereum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck out there.

Except the miners and resellers
LoL
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been in their queue for 14 months
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't think that's going to happen.  My original plan when the 3000's launched was wait for the whole thing to calm down.  Let those who super can't wait pay the crazy prices and I will just upgrade later after the storm passes.

....here we are over a year later, nothing has changed, at all.  I am fairly sure that "get lucky or pay double", is the new normal.
View Quote

I don't really feel like that's sustainable long term. The steam charts posted a bit ago proved that a good majority of people are sitting on half decade old cards at this point. Those will need to be replaced sooner or later and I don't think the masses really have interest in playing Newegg's shitty shuffle every day for a chance to game or paying multiple consoles worth of money for a mid to low range card.

If anything it would be just another nail in the coffin for PC gaming as more and more are pushed to mobile gaming which is turning out to be making massive amounts of dollars to boot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't really feel like that's sustainable long term. The steam charts posted a bit ago proved that a good majority of people are sitting on half decade old cards at this point. Those will need to be replaced sooner or later and I don't think the masses really have interest in playing Newegg's shitty shuffle every day for a chance to game or paying multiple consoles worth of money for a mid to low range card.

If anything it would be just another nail in the coffin for PC gaming as more and more are pushed to mobile gaming which is turning out to be making massive amounts of dollars to boot.
View Quote
Fuck, I hope not.  I hate mobile games
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Meanwhile:

https://i.imgur.com/t1AL4eu.jpg

Already looking like a strong 2022 contender.
View Quote

Bought mine in 2015 for Fallout 4.  Still going strong.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good luck out there.
View Quote
There are typically a mix of dies on a wafer, based on performance and size optimization, so that they use every square mm of the wafer they can, and certain regions of the wafer have better yield, so they put the high performance high dollar stuff there so it bins out well.

I'd love to see Samsung and TSMC's modern nodes. The last time I was around this stuff much was in the 45nm era, and they were already playing with magic on the lithography side.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There are typically a mix of dies on a wafer, based on performance and size optimization, so that they use every square mm of the wafer they can, and certain regions of the wafer have better yield, so they put the high performance high dollar stuff there so it bins out well.

I'd love to see Samsung and TSMC's modern nodes. The last time I was around this stuff much was in the 45nm era, and they were already playing with magic on the lithography side.
View Quote

Without going into specifics, 3nm is giving multiple manufacturers fits.

It’s going to happen, though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

??? You don't mix devices on a production wafer.

That typically only happens extremely early in the development process to see if a particular design or layout will work, you share a portion of the cost with other customers in the same boat and you only get a handful of die per wafer.
Shuttle runs are still a thing, but most of that process is being done with simulations.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That typically only happens extremely early in the development process to see if a particular design or layout will work, you share a portion of the cost with other customers in the same boat and you only get a handful of die per wafer.
Shuttle runs are still a thing, but most of that process is being done with simulations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In fairness I wasn't working around a big fab house doing commercial runs.

It was a small, vertically integrated company that produced their own opto-electronics and DSP's, so they were setup for small batches and short runs, with near constant development and improvement.

They put smaller, less complex things near the outer edges of the wafer, where the yields were lower, so that defects had smaller impacts.

I just assumed the big guys did similar stuff. We already know they bin the outcomes so that one die pattern might be used for several different cards.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Big yawn...

Very annoying to keep releasing cards when people can barely get the ones they just released.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Big yawn...

Very annoying to keep releasing cards when people can barely get the ones they just released.
View Quote
I think the market is going to start turning in this current and next generation.

Intel is launching their products that will take pressure off the lower tier market along with the Chinese domestic cards that are all over Asia, and a couple of other players like Samsung and Marvell are considering getting into the graphics/compute business soon.

Pair that with with the politics of consuming huge amounts of power for crypto turning sour, and I think there will be more availability in the coming year or two.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#29]
[edit]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What could I get for a used 2080ti right now? I'm not a miner, I game. Card kept the factory clocks the entire time.

View Quote

You should be able to get your original retail for it, or damned close.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:05:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In fairness I wasn't working around a big fab house doing commercial runs.

It was a small, vertically integrated company that produced their own opto-electronics and DSP's, so they were setup for small batches and short runs, with near constant development and improvement.

They put smaller, less complex things near the outer edges of the wafer, where the yields were lower, so that defects had smaller impacts.

I just assumed the big guys did similar stuff. We already know they bin the outcomes so that one die pattern might be used for several different cards.
View Quote

Interesting. I guess that was much more prevalent back in the pre 6" wafer days, when many of the process steps were done by hand.

There would be a lot of issues doing something similar now, aligning the different reticles I think could be relatively straightforward and doable for some of the tools, but I don't think its worth the hassle. I would imagine the exposure/etch and mixing different complexity, many metal layers with less metal layers, would be the tough part.
Obviously, it is a possbility but when you are pumping out thousands of these wafers a week/month they want to keep things simple where they are able to.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I went with the Radeon RX6900XT with 16GB of GDDR6.

Good enough for me.
View Quote

I started installing my RX 6900 XT and 5900X tonight. Gonna need to pick up a new cooler tomorrow and then find out if my 750W PS will cut it. Can't wait
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on model about $1k-$1,200+ on eBay.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#34]
If no one can buy the cards they already make, what's the point of making new ones?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The words of a man who is running a 60mhz monitor and has never seen the light of 144fps with Gsync.

Or....one of those who has some sort of eyeball to brain problem and is unable to see it.

I can spot 60fps in a second now and it looks like dog shit on a cracker.  Never going back.  Ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Card makers have backed themselves into a corner. If you can hold 60 fps or more in your games, they have nothing. Everyone seems to think they have to have triple digits. No ... no, you don't. As long as you don't drop below 30fps minimum, things are playable just fine unless you're playing for money in a shooter or something that requires extreme twitch.

I see zero point in paying attention to any new card release until prices cut in half or more and are available at those prices. Till than, it's just meaningless talk.
The words of a man who is running a 60mhz monitor and has never seen the light of 144fps with Gsync.

Or....one of those who has some sort of eyeball to brain problem and is unable to see it.

I can spot 60fps in a second now and it looks like dog shit on a cracker.  Never going back.  Ever.

That's wild.  Maybe I don't want to train my brain for higher than 60fps.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Was planning to build a new PC a year ago. Still rocking my twin 970's and i5-2500k. Probably going to wait another year before bothering at this point
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You can - right now - get a gaming PC with a 3060 for $1700.
View Quote

I haven't bought a home PC in over 25 years.  I just build from parts.  Where are the popular/best places to buy a good prebuilt that doesn't have substandard parts?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top