Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2290 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZ-VG1wXEAAzdkB?format=jpg&name=large

Glad he’s around, but he needs to stay off Twitter.
View Quote

to clean even his finger nails shades aint even scratched up
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

Quayle simply failed to recognize that while "potatoes" is the correct plural, the correct singular, at least in modern usage, is "potato" and not "potatoe". No worse than the average arfer's misuse of the possessive plural, your/you're, etc. Some of arfers' attempts to spell phonetically words which they may use in conversation but don't often see written down are far worse.

The left just tries to make a mountain out of any misstep by a conservative, as they were wont to do, even that long ago.
View Quote

Potatoe is historically an acceptable alternate spelling for the singular.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Imagine the troll factor if Ukraine blows up the north end of the base tomorrow,
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Yeah, no.  

You’ve made a false claim that the “explosive filler” in the ERA is useful for other purposes.  It is not useful because it’s close to impossible to detonate with anything less than a shaped-charge hit.  Even then, it’s explosive characteristics are specifically tailored to defeat the plasma jet but not harm the underlying armor.

If you have not noticed, it’s usually just left intact on wrecked tanks, because it’s useless.

And no one would strip it, then replace it with rubber (except maybe a corrupt Russian tank factory owner).
View Quote

RedEffect on YouTube, who is a skilled Russian tank apologist and who is perhaps more neutral towards Russia than I am comfortable with, points out that the T-80 in questions was stripped of everything including bolts. Perhaps the ERA explosive was used to fill up ERA panels on a tank where there were concerns about the age of its own ERA? I think it’s likely that the Ukrainians stripped it because the Russians at least had all the bolts and the sights in it when they deployed it, and it was their second best tank model (not ranking variants here) in one of the first units in.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

It also could be as simple as Ukrainian propaganda.. there is no way to confirm what is what with that armor.. but I have seen some evidence from inside Russia that shortcuts have degraded there own ability to produce everything they say they are. Bottom line is that it's no secret Russian armor is shit
View Quote

Russian armor meaning tanks? Yes. Russian armor meaning the actual armor arrays on tanks? It’s outdated, but usually strong for it’s day until it fell behind in the 1990s and it still needs to be taken seriously if you’re not using M829A3/4.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#6]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

So how does NATO and other and other countries defend Taiwan and our bases against a ballistic missile attack from China?

HIMARS is a game changer but they are zipping rite through bridge concrete.  How are planes left out on the tarmac to prevent the same type of saki attack from happening?

Yeah we have patriot but how long could that defend against it.  Was patriot in place after the solamani attack?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:

So how does NATO and other and other countries defend Taiwan and our bases against a ballistic missile attack from China?

HIMARS is a game changer but they are zipping rite through bridge concrete.  How are planes left out on the tarmac to prevent the same type of saki attack from happening?

Yeah we have patriot but how long could that defend against it.  Was patriot in place after the solamani attack?

Believe it or not Patriot is our lower tier defense against missiles.  Ideally, we would hit their launching systems before they actually launched, but everything at that point is made to deal with a weapon in flight.

THAAD, SM-3, SM-6 cover much larger areas, as you get lower through the multiple layers.

Ascent and midcourse is where the ballistic missile has not released MIRVS, usually.  Terminal is to hit anything leaking through the other defenses. Below Patriot is stuff like CRAM, NASAMS, etc.

Notice Aegis ashore is also boost/ascent phase.

this is 4 CRAM intercepting multiple mortars at Basra air base in 2009.  At all levels of defense, the Russians have nothing equivalent.  I really wanted to see their close in weapons in action, but have not seen evidence of them working as of yet.

PHALANX GUN IN ACTION IN IRAQ

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Capta:

“Crimea has probably been seen as a secure rear-area.”

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390973/Odessaassbandit-2295052.jpg

S O O N
View All Quotes

S O O N

lol.  His time to shine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Yeah, no.  

You’ve made a false claim that the “explosive filler” in the ERA is useful for other purposes.  It is not useful because it’s close to impossible to detonate with anything less than a shaped-charge hit.  Even then, it’s explosive characteristics are specifically tailored to defeat the plasma jet but not harm the underlying armor.

If you have not noticed, it’s usually just left intact on wrecked tanks, because it’s useless.

And no one would strip it, then replace it with rubber (except maybe a corrupt Russian tank factory owner).

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dbnd:
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
So seeing videos of Russian equipment....like putting modern covers over their old surplus metal helmets. One I saw yesterday was a Russian tank that had foam blocks in the explosive armor instead of explosives. Is the bulk of Russian equipment in that state? Is that the consensus?

And was there any fallout over the rooskie that was identified after mutilating the Ukrainian soldier?

What you saw was a T-80BVM that was captured in March that had already been stripped of anything useful including the explosive filler in the ERA.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498984538319597573?s=21&t=MWyEhXO_4tGbrnploGw5-Q

https://youtu.be/T_fwZf9vrO0

But that doesn't explain why the explosive filler was refilled in its complete volume by rubber on all the Kontakt-1 ERA on the turret roof.   It also doesn't explain the angled metal piece that is bolted inside and sandwiched with the filler which is supposed to be there, you should not be able to flip through this material like a thick deck of cards either.  The plates are metal encased explosives.   There would be no point to remove that metal piece as manufactured, it's simply missing from the beginning.

The other ERA on the front of the hull does have removed explosive filler, but there must have been a graft going on at the place that made the Kontakt-1

Inside, each brick should look like this:  The gray stuff is the explosive material, the other parts are the metal plates bolted inside.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BAE1xl0zNhU/VZeIbWgO81I/AAAAAAAACn0/joOMeG8uld0/s1600/2c20.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0oZf0fE_h9s/WZVfLG8EClI/AAAAAAAAJAw/IpgESdos2ykvZYZqN-WfTB7D0n0cMtlhQCLcBGAs/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/k-1%2Bangled.png

Yeah, no.  

That was my point.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

OAB is back!!!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

S O O N

OAB is back!!!!

He never left, just got a little behind in his reading.  He got busy, you know.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Are the Russians really so fucking stupid they would use land mines as a substitute for ERA?

Surely this was just an already damaged orc tank the Ukrainians decided to demo cheaply by stacking mines on top of it and lighting if off with a grenade drop so they didn't use a valuable Javelin or Stugna for the task? Or maybe the tank hit one of these mines, lost a track and Russian engineers were demining the area and stacking the located mines on the tank when the Ukrainian drone spotted their activities and decided to have a little fun?

Then again, it could just be Russia being Russia. Nothing would surprise me anymore. I'd always thought the typical enlisted Russian had an average IQ of about 75. We're talking an entire army of Forrest Gumps. But if Russians are riding around in tanks outfitted with landmines for ERA, and doing so on purpose, then Forrest Gump would be a fucking genius in that army.

View Quote

I'm not a smart man, but I know what armor is...
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:
Despite being wrong about Dan Quayle at the end,

Originally Posted By LurkerII:
Dan Quayle could not even spell potato, Carlin was right on!

Although I couldn't stand the Bush 1 administration for banning imported "assualt weapons" in 1989 as well as Quayle standing by Bush with his mouth shut whenever Bush spoke about AW bans, Quayle was not a stupid person in my opinion.  In 1986 and 1987, I spent a lot of time researching nuclear forces stats/info of the USA and Russia and my work ended up making international news via my congressman regarding the INF Treaty. Anyway, I read a lot of senate hearing transcripts and a lot of what Dan Quayle stated regarding nuclear weapons security- he's not dumb, not even a little.

I'm not an expert of the history of spelling, but around 1992, I was talking to a retired engineer who was in his late 70s and the Dan Quayle spelling incident came up. He told me that when he was young, potato was sometimes spelled "pototoe". I dont know if that is true, but the guy was a high level engineer/geologist in his career.
@Ryan_Ruck
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
Despite being wrong about Dan Quayle at the end,

Originally Posted By LurkerII:
Dan Quayle could not even spell potato, Carlin was right on!

Yes, I know. I said what I said.

Although I couldn't stand the Bush 1 administration for banning imported "assualt weapons" in 1989 as well as Quayle standing by Bush with his mouth shut whenever Bush spoke about AW bans, Quayle was not a stupid person in my opinion.  In 1986 and 1987, I spent a lot of time researching nuclear forces stats/info of the USA and Russia and my work ended up making international news via my congressman regarding the INF Treaty. Anyway, I read a lot of senate hearing transcripts and a lot of what Dan Quayle stated regarding nuclear weapons security- he's not dumb, not even a little.

I'm not an expert of the history of spelling, but around 1992, I was talking to a retired engineer who was in his late 70s and the Dan Quayle spelling incident came up. He told me that when he was young, potato was sometimes spelled "pototoe". I dont know if that is true, but the guy was a high level engineer/geologist in his career.
@Ryan_Ruck

It was spelled "potatoe" on the cue card they gave him, he questioned it and was told it's fine. And engineers aren't necessarily known for their spelling prowess.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:29:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#12]
Medvedev yapping again about the potential for “accidents” to happen at European nuclear power plants:

https://youtu.be/qrOObczCkE4

Translated from his telegram:

“Kyiv bastards and their western patrons, by the looks of it, are ready to cause a new Chornobyl. Missiles and shells are hitting closer and closer to the reactor of the ZNPP and storages of radioactive isotopes.
They are saying that all of this is done by Russia. It is an obvious, 100% lie, even for a slightly stupid and russophobic audience.
Even the UN do not buy this.
They are saying, that this happens strictly by accident. Like the did not intend it.
What can I say here.. One shall not forget that nuclear power plants are also located in the European Union. And such accident can also happen there.”
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Potatoe is historically an acceptable alternate spelling for the singular.
View Quote

Wasn't he just reading off the answer cards and he was reluctant to argue with the cards the school had made?
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm trying to figure what that is leading to myself.  Perhaps more will join in?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

Curious that it's only those countries. No Romania, Baltics, or Hungary.

I'm trying to figure what that is leading to myself.  Perhaps more will join in?

Dana and Zuzhana SPGs, and Krab SPG, three capable systems. Romania and Hungary either buy their stuff or make old Soviet towed designs. If Germany had balls, they'd join the team, if Poland let them.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#15]
I wondered where these inflatable S-300 Sam systems were coming from.

These look like so much fun for the yard.  I'm not a responsible adult though.

Like the Russian guided missile  electronic components, Alibaba is their friend.

Group buy for $2,000.
https://m.alibaba.com/product/60731054529/Inflatable-military-decoy-inflatable-Defense-Missile.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Imagine the troll factor if Ukraine blows up the north end of the base tomorrow,
View Quote

It would be a lot more than a troll factor. The russian people would come to the conclusion that their leaders are making them look weak and incompetent.
Somebody already shined that sign up on the side of that skyscraper in moscow that said "WHATS AIR DEFENSE DOING?" ( I believe that is the exact wording) So they already feel like their leaders are using soldiers as cannon fodder, and instead of this war reminding the world how formidable and strong Russia is, it's having the opposite effect. Russians don't like that.
If they were to hit that base again it would convince everybody that russia isn't capable of defending itself from Ukraine and western weapons. Weak. And that's why I've been hoping they will hit that base again.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]

https://s.alicdn.com/@sc04/kf/He8cefef5697b4cbf87f3ed046dc9083bC.jpg_720x720q50.jpg

Like the Russian guided missile  electronic components, Alibaba is their friend.

Group buy for $2,000.
https://m.alibaba.com/product/60731054529/Inflatable-military-decoy-inflatable-Defense-Missile.html
View Quote

Cool! Bounce house. You would want the compressor further back though.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

Dana and Zuzhana SPGs, and Krab SPG, three capable systems. Romania and Hungary either buy their stuff or make old Soviet towed designs. If Germany had balls, they'd join the team, if Poland let them.  
View Quote

Poland says “nah”.  And by the way, also that “they’ll be running the EU with Ukraine in 10 years.”
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/08/12/7363007/

The Ministry of Culture is preparing a draft law on the status of English: it will be mandatory in certain areas.

The Ministry of Culture and Information Policy is working on a draft law on establishing the special status of English in Ukraine as the language of international communication.

Source : First Deputy Minister of Culture and Information Policy Rostyslav Karandeev during a briefing at the Media Center Ukraine - Ukrinform, the ministry's website reports

Details : The draft law provides for:
establishment of a special status of the English language in Ukraine as a language of international communication;
significant expansion of the scope of the English language in Ukraine; the English language will be mandatory in certain public spheres of social life where international communications are available.

An interdepartmental working group on the preparation of legislative acts to ensure the functioning of the English language as a language of international communication is being created at the initiative of the ICIP. It will include people's deputies, representatives of state bodies and the public. Currently, the ICIP is summarizing the proposals received from state bodies and the public and preparing a draft order on the creation of such an interagency working group.

Taking into account the results of the interdepartmental working group, a draft law on ensuring the functioning of the English language as the language of international communication will be prepared, its public discussion will be held and it will be prepared for submission to the government.

Karandeev emphasized that Ukraine currently ranks only 40th out of 112 countries in the world in terms of English proficiency.
Direct language : "The transformation of the status of the English language should solve this problem. This is Ukraine's strategic course towards EU membership. The draft law provides for the regulation of the use of the English language in certain public spheres of social life. First of all, it concerns international communications."
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Look in the commanders hatch top right of tank, I think there is a guy in there, unfortunately the front left of the tank seems to be using land mines in place of ERA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/wmp9vp/ukrainian_drone_destroying_a_russian_tank_with_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
View Quote

I see what you are saying. Somebody is moving around inside that tank.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#21]

https://s.alicdn.com/@sc04/kf/He8cefef5697b4cbf87f3ed046dc9083bC.jpg_720x720q50.jpg

https://s.alicdn.com/@sc04/kf/HTB1URRPeDfN8KJjSZFjq6xGvpXaJ.jpg_720x720q50.jpg

https://s.alicdn.com/@sc04/kf/HTB1XiAYdzgy_uJjSZK9q6xvlFXaB.jpg_720x720q50.jpg

https://s.alicdn.com/@sc04/kf/HTB13KVImdzJ8KJjSspkq6zF7VXaf.jpg_720x720q50.jpg

Group buy for $2,000.
View Quote

I need one of those for the yard at the new house.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZ-VG1wXEAAzdkB?format=jpg&name=large

Glad he’s around, but he needs to stay off Twitter.
View Quote

Yeah, props to him for going and fighting, but his constant Twitter posting has kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It feels like a bit of a publicity stunt, to a certain degree.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#23]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

It would be a lot more than a troll factor. The russian people would come to the conclusion that their leaders are making them look weak and incompetent.
Somebody already shined that sign up on the side of that skyscraper in moscow that said "WHATS AIR DEFENSE DOING?" ( I believe that is the exact wording) So they already feel like their leaders are using soldiers as cannon fodder, and instead of this war reminding the world how formidable and strong Russia is, it's having the opposite effect. Russians don't like that.
If they were to hit that base again it would convince everybody that russia isn't capable of defending itself from Ukraine and western weapons. Weak. And that's why I've been hoping they will hit that base again.
View All Quotes

Well about that, there were signs in Russian occupied territory that had a photo of an explosion and GPS coordinates on telephone poles, the coordinates were for at least 2 other Russian airfields nearby.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By sq40:

The Ministry of Culture is preparing a draft law on the status of English: it will be mandatory in certain areas.

The Ministry of Culture and Information Policy is working on a draft law on establishing the special status of English in Ukraine as the language of international communication.

Source : First Deputy Minister of Culture and Information Policy Rostyslav Karandeev during a briefing at the Media Center Ukraine - Ukrinform, the ministry's website reports

establishment of a special status of the English language in Ukraine as a language of international communication;
significant expansion of the scope of the English language in Ukraine; the English language will be mandatory in certain public spheres of social life where international communications are available.

An interdepartmental working group on the preparation of legislative acts to ensure the functioning of the English language as a language of international communication is being created at the initiative of the ICIP. It will include people's deputies, representatives of state bodies and the public. Currently, the ICIP is summarizing the proposals received from state bodies and the public and preparing a draft order on the creation of such an interagency working group.

Taking into account the results of the interdepartmental working group, a draft law on ensuring the functioning of the English language as the language of international communication will be prepared, its public discussion will be held and it will be prepared for submission to the government.

Karandeev emphasized that Ukraine currently ranks only 40th out of 112 countries in the world in terms of English proficiency.
Direct language : "The transformation of the status of the English language should solve this problem. This is Ukraine's strategic course towards EU membership. The draft law provides for the regulation of the use of the English language in certain public spheres of social life. First of all, it concerns international communications."
View Quote

I observed some time ago that once a nation can watch Breaking Bad in its original language they are never quite the same again.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Look in the commanders hatch top right of tank, I think there is a guy in there, unfortunately the front left of the tank seems to be using land mines in place of ERA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/wmp9vp/ukrainian_drone_destroying_a_russian_tank_with_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

I wonder if the tank crew was transporting mines inside the tank to either lay themselves, or were dropping them off with infantry.  They were in the process of unloading and staging them when Mr. Drone happens by and thinks, “hmm..there’s explodey stuff all over that tank!:
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:53:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#26]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Holy fuck! Are they seriously using landmines as era?.. dear baby Jesus they really are fucking retarded drunken fuck ups..it's embarrassing we have members here who think Russia has a strong Profesional military
View Quote

I'm guessing someone way laying or removing mines and stacked them on that tank fender. They got interrupted, maybe by shelling, fled and our drone picked up the story from there. But with orcs it's hard to know for sure.

beat by Capta
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]

I wonder if the tank crew was transporting mines inside the tank to either lay themselves, or were dropping them off with infantry.  They were in the process of unloading and staging them when Mr. Drone happens by and thinks, “hmm..there’s explodey stuff all over that tank!:
View All Quotes

I was thinking that was a possibility.  The thought process of the Russian tanker:  "Too dangerous, I'm not moving these things by carrying them inside the tank!  We will just put them outside, they can explode safer then if something happens. "
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
The Russians are not in a good place.

They just lost a lot of their top tier men trying to take Donetsk. That's not good, those guys don't grow on trees in Russia.  Top tier Vagner Mercenaries were absolutely wasted near Bakhmut due to the Russian's inability to provide them with close air support during their assault.  What a waste of good infantry.

The Russians really need to take Donetsk before the muddy fall season.  If they can't take Donetsk before the ground turns to mud they will NOT be able to have any prayer of bringing about favorable terms at the peace table and Ukraine will continue to fight.  To say nothing of the fact that they still don't have dominance over the Black Sea coast and their land bridge to Transnistria, which at this point looks like a pipe dream for them.  

If this conflict goes into 2023 the Russians are so screwed.  By the end of 2023 or early 2024 Ukraine might actually have their act together and enough equipment that when combined with full mobilization will mean either the Russians are going to have to just admit they're in a war and use conscription or they're going to get pushed out of Ukraine perhaps even losing Crimea.  

Russia is an aging nation. They don't have the young men they had in WW2 to throw into a meat grinder.  The levels of corruption in the Russian military are still epic in scale.  Hell, things are so bad for them recruitment wise that to keep from using conscripts they're going to prisons now and offering amnesty for those inmates with prior mil experience if they join up and fight.  Some of the prisoners, even those with years left on their sentences are turning them down.  If inmates in Russian prisons know that the war is going badly you can imagine that the common Russian citizen knows the war is going badly.

I never underestimate Russians ability to just endure hardship and suffering.  They seem to be resigned to it as a people, but at a certain point even the Russians will wonder "what the Hell are we doing this for?"  Ukraine isn't that special of a place and their slavs like just like them who never invaded Russia or posed any serious threat.  I think the average Russian knows the USA isn't crazy enough to start a war that could lead to a nuclear holocaust.  So, at some point Putin is going to be facing a very negative population and the Russians tend to go from not giving a shit to full on revolution pretty damn quick and with little warning.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Rise and shine, Cyka!

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Poland says "nah".  And by the way, also that "they'll be running the EU with Ukraine in 10 years."
View All Quotes

Poland says "nah".  And by the way, also that "they'll be running the EU with Ukraine in 10 years."

I'm drawing a blank but there was a project within the past few years, NGF or FCAS or EuroTank or something, that Poland wanted in on but the Franco-German group snubbed them. Shortly after, Poland started looking at the SEP3 and F-35. I still, jokingly, think that if war kicked off with Russia, Poland would have to think about whether to attack East or West.

First the Britain-Poland-Ukraine triad and now a Poland-Slovakia-Czech Republic triad. What an interesting time we're living in.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Believe it or not Patriot is our lower tier defense against missiles.  Ideally, we would hit their launching systems before they actually launched, but everything at that point is made to deal with a weapon in flight.

THAAD, SM-3, SM-6 cover much larger areas, as you get lower through the multiple layers.

Ascent and midcourse is where the ballistic missile has not released MIRVS, usually.  Terminal is to hit anything leaking through the other defenses. Below Patriot is stuff like CRAM, NASAMS, etc.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126617/15_ACTJulAug21_News_MissileDefense-2486517.png

https://thebulletin.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/170223-D-ZZ999-999-1024x768.jpeg

this is 4 CRAM intercepting multiple mortars at Basra air base in 2009.  At all levels of defense, the Russians have nothing equivalent.  I really wanted to see their close in weapons in action, but have not seen evidence of them working as of yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILcVt9p7cug

View Quote

There is a documentation about them in action:

Hunter Killer : Best Scene (Best Movie of the Year 2018)

SCNR.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sq40:

View Quote
English is very widespread with the younger generation. I see reported about half of 25-35 year old's can speak fluent English. In all my time in Ukraine, every younger person I tried to converse with knew English.  

Often, it's their ticket to a better job/life.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#34]
FIRMS from 2hrs ago.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

They just lost a lot of their top tier men trying to take Donetsk. That's not good, those guys don't grow on trees in Russia.  Top tier Vagner Mercenaries were absolutely wasted near Bakhmut due to the Russian's inability to provide them with close air support during their assault.  What a waste of good infantry.

The Russians really need to take Donetsk before the muddy fall season.  If they can't take Donetsk before the ground turns to mud they will NOT be able to have any prayer of bringing about favorable terms at the peace table and Ukraine will continue to fight.  To say nothing of the fact that they still don't have dominance over the Black Sea coast and their land bridge to Transnistria, which at this point looks like a pipe dream for them.  

If this conflict goes into 2023 the Russians are so screwed.  By the end of 2023 or early 2024 Ukraine might actually have their act together and enough equipment that when combined with full mobilization will mean either the Russians are going to have to just admit they're in a war and use conscription or they're going to get pushed out of Ukraine perhaps even losing Crimea.  

Russia is an aging nation. They don't have the young men they had in WW2 to throw into a meat grinder.  The levels of corruption in the Russian military are still epic in scale.  Hell, things are so bad for them recruitment wise that to keep from using conscripts they're going to prisons now and offering amnesty for those inmates with prior mil experience if they join up and fight.  Some of the prisoners, even those with years left on their sentences are turning them down.  If inmates in Russian prisons know that the war is going badly you can imagine that the common Russian citizen knows the war is going badly.

I never underestimate Russians ability to just endure hardship and suffering.  They seem to be resigned to it as a people, but at a certain point even the Russians will wonder "what the Hell are we doing this for?"  Ukraine isn't that special of a place and their slavs like just like them who never invaded Russia or posed any serious threat.  I think the average Russian knows the USA isn't crazy enough to start a war that could lead to a nuclear holocaust.  So, at some point Putin is going to be facing a very negative population and the Russians tend to go from not giving a shit to full on revolution pretty damn quick and with little warning.

View Quote

If they had a frontal lobe or some sense of logic they would admit that the gamble failed. Ukraine looked like a juicy fruit ripe for the picking but turned out to be a fucking hornets nest. Fucking Russians just stifle your ego's and take the loss, go home!

* They wont be able to until it's too late. It was probably too late in April. Should have done it when they withdrew from Kiev.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

If they had a frontal lobe or some sense of logic they would admit that the gamble failed. Ukraine looked like a juicy fruit ripe for the picking but turned out to be a fucking hornets nest. Fucking Russians just stifle your ego's and take the loss, go home!

* They wont be able to until it's too late. It was probably too late in April. Should have done it when they withdrew from Kiev.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

They talked themselves into a corner. They've had twenty chances to say something amounting to "Our work here is done. Well done." and poof back home.

Instead, every muppet rolled out the "We will crush you" horseshit and now defeat means abject humiliation. It will kill the myth of daddy Putin and his underlings... and those guys are totally willing to let every able bodied male in russia die for that myth.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#37]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODpn2UCyPE

SCNR.

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126617/15_ACTJulAug21_News_MissileDefense-2486517.png

https://thebulletin.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/170223-D-ZZ999-999-1024x768.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILcVt9p7cug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODpn2UCyPE

SCNR.

Lol, my family gets so mad at me when I point out the inaccuracies in how the movies portray of how real weapons systems work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Lol, my family gets so mad at me when I point out the inaccuracies in how the movies portray of how real weapons systems work.
View Quote

I watch movies with a woman who loves it when I explain the mistakes/inaccuracies in detail.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#39]

I watch movies with a woman who loves it when I explain the mistakes/inaccuracies in detail.

View All Quotes

You found a good one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:46:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ludder093] [#40]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
Rise and shine, Cyka!

View Quote

Judging by all the other gear lying around, no one bothered to wake "Ivan" up before they all quickly bugged out.  Oh well. Russians never leave anyone behind.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]

But that doesn't explain why the explosive filler was refilled in its complete volume by rubber on all the Kontakt-1 ERA on the turret roof.   It also doesn't explain the angled metal piece that is bolted inside and sandwiched with the filler which is supposed to be there, you should not be able to flip through this material like a thick deck of cards either.  The plates are metal encased explosives.   There would be no point to remove that metal piece as manufactured, it's simply missing from the beginning.

The other ERA on the front of the hull does have removed explosive filler, but there must have been a graft going on at the place that made the Kontakt-1

Inside, each brick should look like this:  The gray stuff is the explosive material, the other parts are the metal plates bolted inside.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BAE1xl0zNhU/VZeIbWgO81I/AAAAAAAACn0/joOMeG8uld0/s1600/2c20.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0oZf0fE_h9s/WZVfLG8EClI/AAAAAAAAJAw/IpgESdos2ykvZYZqN-WfTB7D0n0cMtlhQCLcBGAs/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/k-1%2Bangled.png
View Quote
Correct, they make a bunch or correct ERA units, pass inspection, and then stuff in whatever they can find

They probably have some yearly inspection, but everyone is paid off.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#44]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Correct, they make a bunch or correct ERA units, pass inspection, and then stuff in whatever they can find

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chaingun:

They need to purchase it from Poland, to be sure of quality assurance.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Group buy for $2,000.
View Quote

My own asian inflatables look a bit different.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By swede1986:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swede1986:

Group buy for $2,000.

*snort* lol.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
Rise and shine, Cyka!

View Quote
LOL that is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Good question. Hungary is too "agnostic" about this war. Romania is too poor, corrupt, or whatever. The Baltics dont share a border...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

Curious that it's only those countries. No Romania, Baltics, or Hungary.

Good question. Hungary is too "agnostic" about this war. Romania is too poor, corrupt, or whatever. The Baltics dont share a border...

Do that Baltics even produce their own munitions? Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia do.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:42:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#49]

I'm drawing a blank but there was a project within the past few years, NGF or FCAS or EuroTank or something, that Poland wanted in on but the Franco-German group snubbed them. Shortly after, Poland started looking at the SEP3 and F-35. I still, jokingly, think that if war kicked off with Russia, Poland would have to think about whether to attack East or West.

First the Britain-Poland-Ukraine triad and now a Poland-Slovakia-Czech Republic triad. What an interesting time we're living in.

View All Quotes

Yes we are and in 10-20 years Europe may look like a very different place.
Though this war is far from over, I believe Ukraine will come out whole or nearly so.
France and Germany will come out of it physically undamaged, but with significant political damage.  They put themselves and Europe in a dangerous position through naked greed - not the actions of responsible adults and leaders of the EU.
Poland and the Baltics, on the other hand, saw the same information and made appropriate decisions in time to build LNG terminals for themselves from about 2010-2015.  That wasn't a coincidence.
You can also argue that Poland is making an extremely foresighted choice with Ukraine which goes beyond “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.”  Ukraine is going to come out of this war as a force to be reckoned with.  Ukraine and Poland together will be the premiere military power in Europe.  Ukraine also has the resources, energy, and nuclear power which will lead directly to a joint Ukraine-Poland nuclear weapons program, which is absolutely necessary for both of their long-term survivals.  The Baltics, though they can’t compete with Poland in terms of contribution, no doubt hope to come under the Poland/Ukraine umbrella based on their loyal support.
Ukraine will remember who its good friends were, and also those who weren’t such good friends.  Poland and the Baltics are getting on the right side of that equation.  Depending on the breaks, I don’t think it’s impossible for Russia to break up with Ukraine eventually getting a major chunk of it, and/or for Kyiv to become the new center of the slavic world for the first time in several hundred years.
So yeah, IMO Poland has some adult professionals running the country who not only know how to do the right thing, but how to maximize their benefit from it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2290 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top