Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3138 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

Did who getting unwound by artillery ever get sorted out?
View Quote

I tried to get this phrase unwound and, depending on how you correct the shitty grammar, you get two different results.
It's either three UA brigades got unwound by artillery or these three brigades were able to take RU positions previously unwound by artillery.
I pity those who have to read reports written by this guy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Agnes is full of shit.

Whatever she says, it's class A bullshit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Agnes is full of shit.

I learned a long time ago to not expect much from Germany.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
These are large air defense sites near the Engles air base that was attacked recently.

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:

OK, let’s look specifically at 155 rounds, so far the USA has provided over 800,000 to the Ukraine according to various sources, and those numbers are from August.
That means we need to replenish our stocks, and that’s not including the thousands guided munitions also sent at that time.
Where does the money to do that come from?
If we get into a major conflict will those countries you mentioned supply us in our shortages, or will they be facing their own shortage issues?

This is a wet dream for countries like China, they’re watching one of their greatest rivals get decimated, and watching another deplete it’s war fighting reserves only to have to try and ramp up production, it’s a win all the way around for them without having to fire a shot.
View Quote

I don't see any numbers or facts here, only emotions.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]

I went back and looked at that too.  Sure enough British children's show Peppa Pig with the word "Thrasher" under the character.

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/medium/3/peppa-pig-thrasher-clarence-n-cash-transparent.png
View Quote

So Peppa is now sk8r girl.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

View All Quotes

I went back and looked at that too.  Sure enough British children's show Peppa Pig with the word "Thrasher" under the character.

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/medium/3/peppa-pig-thrasher-clarence-n-cash-transparent.png

I'm waiting for the Australian children's show "Bluey" to kick off with morale patches in Ukraine.

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
Idiot biden just traded the Russian Lord of War Viktor Bout for that Brittney Griner basketball playing America hating bitch.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Griner-is-free/5-2607090/?
View Quote

She is extremely high profile and generated a lot of sympathy and concern as nobody in america believed this was anything other than political bullshit. Now that she is no longer in russian custody, american military and political leaders can be more free to do stuff that russia is not going to like, without fear of a public execution of the basketball player.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

She is extremely high profile and generated a lot of sympathy and concern as nobody in america believed this was anything other than political bullshit. Now that she is no longer in russian custody, american military and political leaders can be more free to do stuff that russia is not going to like, without fear of a public execution of the basketball player.
View Quote

So American policy in Ukraine was being influenced by Griner?  Maybe it's just me--but I don't think so.

Let's put this in perspective.  
One of these two people has the potential and capability to kill Americans in the future.
The other dribbles a basketball.

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I'm not sure I would bring back a GPS-enabled ISR device to my position without first stomping it into a bazillion little pieces.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Squatch:

I'm not sure I would bring back a GPS-enabled ISR device to my position without first stomping it into a bazillion little pieces.
View All Quotes

I'm not sure what the protocol is for that.  Once the drone is jammed and forced to land it may no longer indicate it's position to the other side.

I posted video a few months back of a Russian unit using a drone that got hijacked and the drone operator immediately told the team to leave their position.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

And left US Marine Paul Whelan who has been there 4 years.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
Idiot biden just traded the Russian Lord of War Viktor Bout for that Brittney Griner basketball playing America hating bitch.

They shouldn’t have prioritized grinder over Whalen. Bad signal. Russia wanted Blount bad, we didn’t play hardball. We traded a GRU asset for a Russian employed basketball player who brought cannabis extract knowingly to Russia

This was just a LBGT rights Pat on the back. We shouldn’t play trade when one is guilty of killing thousands for a NBA player employed in Russia. Like trading for that twit who goes to Nork every few years or for Segal. If anything it should be first come first served in Trades. Was Whalen an asset? If so he should be priority. If not he’s there falsely for 4 years and is head of the line.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Had to look him up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Bout

I thought the highlighted part was funny, true, but funny.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]
These are large air defense sites near the Engles air base that was attacked recently.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjbijiQX0AII2mf?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjbjilwWIAIlBJ4?format=jpg&name=large

View Quote

Dumb question.

Besides nasams in DC do we have SAM installations near Whiteman, Minot, etc?

Or do the oceans and other systems solve that issue?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

i cannot find it offhand, but i believe it was Peter Robison (tear down this wall speechwriter) who was part of a recent podcast discussing the long and proud history of the russians breaking agreements.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm not sure what the protocol is for that.  Once the drone is jammed and forced to land it may no longer indicate it's position to the other side.

I posted video a few months back of a Russian unit using a drone that got hijacked and the drone operator immediately told the team to leave their position.
View All Quotes

I have a DJI mini. On mine, if I lose connectivity between the drone and controller, the drone will rise up to 100M and fly to where it took off, and land. I presume they are overpowering the RF link and spoofing the controller to force it to land. Once it is on the ground, you pull the battery or push the power button twice, and it shuts off. No more GPS updates.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#20]

If that's real, that's awesome.  

Someone make sure Putin gets a copy.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:17:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Squatch] [#21]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

I have a DJI mini. On mine, if I lose connectivity between the drone and controller, the drone will rise up to 100M and fly to where it took off, and land. I presume they are overpowering the RF link and spoofing the controller to force it to land. Once it is on the ground, you pull the battery or push the power button twice, and it shuts off. No more GPS updates.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

Or, so you hope.

Chinese-made drone, employed by Russians, expressly to locate Ukrainian positions.

Deception is still a fundamental principle of warfare.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Stomping on it may not work either.

Disconnecting the battery will remove power to the GPS device
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
View Quote

Lol I have more and better shit than that sitting on the floorboard of my truck between the seat mounts and the door pillar.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
More ARF donated winter thermals/socks/sleeping bags made it to Bahkmut. I pass on the thanks to those who donated.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184365/9DA3ECD3-5FE2-41FE-9441-CD16752A39D6-2628100.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184365/7A760F57-D9F9-4A35-AD8E-17DC63A993DC-2628098.jpg
View Quote

Speaking of socks and thermals. OP Tactical has a sale going on that includes socks. Use code CLR22 to get a discount.  *No Affiliation*
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
That is a bad trade
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:

That is a bad trade

Thye discovered Viktor Bout wasn't very good at basketball.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Thye discovered Viktor Bout wasn't very good at basketball.
View Quote
Ha, he probably identified as male
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Agnes is full of shit.

View All Quotes

Agnes is full of shit.

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

I would take the batteries out and send it to the intel types to see if they could get anything out of it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Dumb question.

View Quote

Not sure, but wrt to NASAMS numbers: I spent a fair amount of time yesterday trying to figure out numbers and could find nothing, anywhere - whether foreign build ones or domestic.  Also, references tended to be inconsistent wrt launchers, or batteries.  Three generations of them -some already retired.  Could not determine if the gen 2 (2005-2019) was upgradeable, or not.  It seems the systems delivered were gen 2 (not confirmed).

If someone knows about NASAMS in detail that’s open, that would be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Billy_Ringo:

So American policy in Ukraine was being influenced by Griner?  Maybe it's just me--but I don't think so.

One of these two people has the potential and capability to kill Americans in the future.
The other dribbles a basketball.

View Quote

And smokes dope.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:51:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#33]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

This is such a good point, so kudos for that.

I don't have direct experience, but the US supplied them to the Afghan commandos (and I think also Iraqi national police)? They are best suited to fill a role like the V100 Commando from the Vietnam era, so route security and reconnaissance missions over moderate terrain.

I don't have any idea about their ease of use or maintenance, but I have heard that they are better than UAH for mine/IED resistance, but not quite as good as MRAPs. And surprise surprise, since they weigh about in between a UAH and an MRAP, you would expect about that kind of performance.

Some things you can just tell by the way they look. Having a dual Mk19 and 50cal in a turret is good; but do they have a reliable supply of ammo and enough know-how to maintain those (new to them) weapons? The dismount ratio is a little more favorable than the UAH (on paper, 3 crew and 5 dismounts), but does that work in practice? Dudes wear and carry a lot of shit in winter time.

Now...I was shocked to see the Ukrainians basically bum-rush occupied villages with UAH, so I am pretty worried that they will try to misuse the ASVs too, but...the Russians suck so bad that they *might* be able to get away with it. That isn't any way to plan or conduct missions if you want to live very long though.

Bottom line, we probably have a lot of ASVs in storage, and whatever their faults, they beat the hell out of soft skin SUVs and fucking minivans that we have seen before. I am sure the Ukrainians are smart enough to figure out what works best for them.

This is one of the fucking weird themes I feel like I have heard from critics of aid to Ukraine: like the Ukrainians would  just drive a vehicle or burn up ammo "because it was free"?? No dude, I don't think any sane human being drives even a "free" vehicle towards certain death, or tries to draw fire toward themselves with "free" ammo...because I'm pretty sure people tend to want to live.

Maybe the Russians do that, but what a weird critique.
View Quote

Some errors here.

It is not 3+5.  It has a gunner in a one man turret, driver and tc in the front, and two shitty seats near the turret.  Getting out quickly is a prayer. I rode in one one time and it is the worst ride for a dismount of them all…save a BRDM or BMP.

Survivability is really bad. Look at it. The TC and driver are right by the front wheels and an AT mine will kill them. Lots of guys could survive a UAH mine strike on a front turret as the armor extends downward to behind the engine.  I’ve seen UAH engines completely destroyed with no casualties.

The crappy 3x scope is better then a UAH or M113 free gunner.

It has bad traffic ability because of wheels. A little better then a Stryker as the Stryker engine sits out there on the nose and ground pressure on the lead axle is high.

Bad bad fire control. Better then a free gun, worse then a Stryker or Bradley.

No dismounts.

It was sorta useful in 2006. After we got MRAPs and MATVs with CROWS, it sucks.

Compared to anything else, except a Toyota Tacoma, it is solidly last.

It is okay for long range fires if you had one or two, and a couple humvees. That’s it.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#35]

Dumb question.

View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjbijiQX0AII2mf?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjbjilwWIAIlBJ4?format=jpg&name=large

Dumb question.

This might help explain some, it is from 2017 and we leaped a bit in capability since then.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jun/22/2002319425/-l/-I/I/LAYERED-HOMELANDMISSILE-DEFENSE-FINAL.PDF&ved=2ahUKEwjv9qO51-r7AhWlGzQIHToYC_QQFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1EbfoSzT8qcVTDtzml2hdh

I would expect an airbase with over 100 nuclear weapons to have layered defenses.

Almost a decade ago this was tested in Europe to network everyone's systems to be able to shoot at missiles.

Raytheon's Ballistic Missile Defense Systems Provide Layered Defense Around the World

Same exercises above video but illustrated better in how systems work together.

Integrated Air & Missile Defense Solutions

Also interesting is the upgrades and distribution of the system to multiple European countries and Japan.  And almost a billion dollars to make more.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/06/raytheon-missiles-defense-gets-867-million-contract-for-sm-3-block-iia/
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Lol I have more and better shit than that sitting on the floorboard of my truck between the seat mounts and the door pillar.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

I have yet to see a Russian IFAK that was modern and competent that wasn’t an obvious battlefield pickup. There was a TG video where they opened a UA IFAK like apes opening the Ark of the Covenant.

Right now there’s a video going around of an obvious bootleg CAT knockoff. That’s the state of the art right now.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Just a word of caution to everyone that tries to analyze an event based on only a few data points, like a video of an explosion.

I’ve been involved in numerous investigations of major accidents resulting in millions of dollars in damage and a few lost lives. It’s been mostly in power plants and some refineries, pipelines and chemical plants. We would spend days interviewing people, collecting historical data from control systems, sequence of events recorders, annunciators, cameras, historians and whatever other instrumentation that’s available. With all that data and most of it time stamped to three decimal places, you would think that you could lay it out and it would paint a good picture of what happened.  More often than not it wouldn’t or the data would point to two different outcomes. Just remember that whatever you see and think you know about something, it may be incorrect. Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:13:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#38]
Russians in Belgorod are selling anti-tank defenses (aka “Copelerone”) on the equivalent of Craigslist.

Never used and only dropped once.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:20:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#39]
deleted
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Looking for satellite images, but still exploding.

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Drone footage.

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

Better they go to American companies expanding the manufacturing footprint.
Don't you agree?
I'm a real world example, this expansion of production capacity may significantly improve my standard of living, employment wise.
View Quote
I agree, and relish some of the german politicians complaining that US defense companies are having a windfall.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
View Quote

Russians using incendiary again.it looks pretty bad.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Billy_Ringo:

The other dribbles a basketball is a pothead.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 4:13:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: general_cluster] [#48]
Losing entire companies to pneumonia?  Outrageous cases of idiocy and negligence?  

Russia stronk. (per Grey Zone)
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By general_cluster:
Losing entire companies to pneumonia?  Outrageous cases of idiocy and negligence?  

Russia stronk. (per Grey Zone)
View Quote

How reliable is that source?

I checked the weather and it's cold, but that cold yet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3138 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top