Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1338 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By x248716x:

Macron's handlers are looking at his re-election polls.  he's trying to improve his image to the French people.  He's just pursuing his job security.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CletusRoundbelly:
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
Macron seems pretty intent on trying to get a peace prize out of this but he’s living on a different planet.

Macron seems to think the Russians are reasonable.

He's a fool.

Macron's handlers are looking at his re-election polls.  he's trying to improve his image to the French people.  He's just pursuing his job security.

He’s right though.  Making Putin believe the regime change is part of the equation it will seem like an escalation to him, and put him into a position where he feels compelled to control the problem.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#3]

There are several possibilities as to why he would attack Poland or the Baltics: nothing to lose,escalate to deescalate,preferring to lose to NATO than Ukraine. Anything that could provoke NATO into a reaction and allow a reframing back to "I told you NATO was going to attack us" allows him to not be seen as a loser by nationalists.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
I have zero doubt that they want to.

IMO, it's an intimidation tactic to get those countries to dial back support. To those countries I say: every Russian you help kill in Ukraine is one less Russian you'll have to kill on your own soil.

There are several possibilities as to why he would attack Poland or the Baltics: nothing to lose,escalate to deescalate,preferring to lose to NATO than Ukraine. Anything that could provoke NATO into a reaction and allow a reframing back to "I told you NATO was going to attack us" allows him to not be seen as a loser by nationalists.
I feel like his whole miserable life has been heading toward this moment.  He's an aging gangster who has a big gun, but has never been able to use it.  The money and power don't get him off anymore.  He wants to be remembered like Stalin is remembered to this day.  Even if he risks being remembered for being a murderous asshole.  The West has eaten his lunch throughout his entire life.  The West is prosperous and free.  A 16 year old McDonald's workers in America makes more money and has a better life than a software engineer in Moscow.  Rather than taking the steps to put his people on a path to prosperity, he chooses this.  He knows only violence and intimidation.  

He deserves nothing more than a violent death.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kncook:

War is brutal and this is fairly normal when you take a deep breath and realizes it's not two 1700s English gentlemen in a dual.
View Quote
What is it? A single? A triple?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FrankyRay:

But then we wouldn't have had this revealing discussion.

I feel enlightened having seen that kind of behavior. Had never heard of "knee capping."

That's not to say I got some kind of twisted satisfaction from it. I find it to be very disturbing.

It's the reality of war.

Probably wasn't such a good idea to put it online, though. It does give Pootin ammo for propaganda.
View Quote

first I heard about it was with the IRA (Irish Republican Army), seemed to be a common practice for enemy, suspected traitors, suspected spies, etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Triangle-66:
Based on their armbands they are Ukrainian separatists - white armbands (AKA) traitors to their own country. What is the penalty for treason? What should it be if you are killing your own civilian countrymen?
View Quote

I’m not sure where the white/red armband piece comes from. Maybe Russian state troops are red but there have been white bands on numerous fronts. Chechens are wearing white down in Mariupol as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]

first I heard about it was with the IRA (Irish Republican Army), seemed to be a common practice for enemy, suspected traitors, suspected spies, etc.
View Quote

Can't fight if you can't walk, can you?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Taboot:
I feel like his whole miserable life has been heading toward this moment.  He's an aging gangster who has a big gun, but has never been able to use it.  The money and power don't get him off anymore.  He wants to be remembered like Stalin is remembered to this day.  Even if he risks being remembered for being a murderous asshole.  The West has eaten his lunch throughout his entire life.  The West is prosperous and free.  A 16 year old McDonald's workers in America makes more money and has a better life than a software engineer in Moscow.  Rather than taking the steps to put his people on a path to prosperity, he chooses this.  He knows only violence and intimidation.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Taboot:
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
I have zero doubt that they want to.

IMO, it's an intimidation tactic to get those countries to dial back support. To those countries I say: every Russian you help kill in Ukraine is one less Russian you'll have to kill on your own soil.

Just like you can't fix the Middle East and you can't fix Africa, you can't fix Russia.

Putin is the byproduct of a fucked up society and after he's gone, we'll end up with another guy to deal with from the Stalin / Putin mold.

Supporting all of the countries on Russia's borders and helping them remain strong enough to stand up to the bully is probably the best policy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

There’s still lots that don’t get their news from fox,newsmax,rsbn,other online.
So there are still multitudes ignorant of the laptop, and all the other scandals,  they’ve never seen videos of joe being creepy with little girls
They know what abc,cbs,nbc,cnn tell them.   Some just catch the news because they’re waiting to watch wheel of fortune
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Originally Posted By sq40:
Originally Posted By NHTriumph:
Originally Posted By Kokodude:
Putin's real weapons aren't nuclear. He has the dirt on many Western political and business leaders.
I'm sure many of them worked directly with his regime at one point or another.
Money has changed hands, favors were done, secrets were kept.
If peace happens it will be negotiated in a backroom by players that we'll never know existed.
There's a world that lives outside of our perceived reality. This is what Putin is threatening to expose.

Maybe....

If there was ever a time that the secrets of the rich and powerful were exposed, I'm guessing it would have been a couple weeks ago.

Seriously, what's he waiting for?

Other than the Epstein/Pedo crimes,  a lot of dirt on misdeeds by politicians has leaked over the years with virtually zero consequences or cares.  Dirt really doesn’t matter.  
(And the fake dirt they made up for Trump didn’t matter either.)

There’s still lots that don’t get their news from fox,newsmax,rsbn,other online.
So there are still multitudes ignorant of the laptop, and all the other scandals,  they’ve never seen videos of joe being creepy with little girls
They know what abc,cbs,nbc,cnn tell them.   Some just catch the news because they’re waiting to watch wheel of fortune

Exactly.  And people who do care or pay attention are ostracized, called conspiracy theorists, etc.   The mainline media has incredible power, but when it comes down to it, most people are powerless to do anything about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#12]
On patrol with a volunteer battalion in Kyiv
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

I know this is from last night but I wanted to comment anyway. Your comment is complete crap and over-the-line. You are LUCKY I didn't warn you as this is a pretty clear-cut CoC #6 violation. Furthermore, it's also a personal attack because you are simply inferring that because he's worried about the outcome of an expanding war that he is a "Putin lover", which is a completely ridiculous assertion and he's never posted anything in support of Putin.

EVERYONE: Keep these kind of crap comment to yourself. Or, if you make them, then you better have some support for your assertion.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ISEEYOU2:
Originally Posted By AlchemyPhD:

Ahh, the good ol' regime change. A superb plan. Because none of the regime changes we've been involved in have led to a complete disaster. By all means, let's try that same time-tested approach with a nuclear power and see how it works out.

Anything that Brennan and his ilk support, I vehemently oppose. Not sure if everyone here is cheering for the right team, to be honest.

Putin lover...........fuck off !!!

I know this is from last night but I wanted to comment anyway. Your comment is complete crap and over-the-line. You are LUCKY I didn't warn you as this is a pretty clear-cut CoC #6 violation. Furthermore, it's also a personal attack because you are simply inferring that because he's worried about the outcome of an expanding war that he is a "Putin lover", which is a completely ridiculous assertion and he's never posted anything in support of Putin.

EVERYONE: Keep these kind of crap comment to yourself. Or, if you make them, then you better have some support for your assertion.

You’re so cute when you get angry
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fike:
Excellent report from Vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhBfNDVs-PY
View Quote

Vice is doing great reporting.

Upon seeing that it reaffirms my belief that separatists deserve anything they get.

And while I understand what our military members say regarding how you treat prisoners, respectfully, how you treated some goat fucker in the middle of assfuckistan is not how you’d treat some turncoat who just murdered your sister in your hometown in the middle of all out war. If it is, I honestly don’t think we can be friends. If that makes me a bad person, I can live with that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:40:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jDrexler] [#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ISEEYOU2:
Originally Posted By AlchemyPhD:

Ahh, the good ol' regime change. A superb plan. Because none of the regime changes we've been involved in have led to a complete disaster. By all means, let's try that same time-tested approach with a nuclear power and see how it works out.

Anything that Brennan and his ilk support, I vehemently oppose. Not sure if everyone here is cheering for the right team, to be honest.

Putin lover...........fuck off !!!

Does this mean the posts that just yell “sorry your girl lost” at anyone who disagrees with them are now reportable? At the end of the day it’s the same thing. Asserting that you support for a particular person in a way that’s meant to insult and disparage you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes - see my post above. I completely disagree with AlchemyPhD's position, but that doesn't mean he's done anything warranting a warning - much less a ban. This forum is not an echo chamber. You "win" discussions by providing better arguments, not by throwing people off the board you disagree with. If it's the latter you want, then you better hope you never post anything *I* don't like...
View Quote
otherwise we're as bad a Twitter, Facebook with censorship.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Other than the Epstein/Pedo crimes,  a lot of dirt on misdeeds by politicians has leaked over the years with virtually zero consequences or cares.  Dirt really doesn’t matter.  
(And the fake dirt they made up for Trump didn’t matter either.)
View Quote

No one's gonna do shit until the power goes off or the food quits showing up so it doesn't matter what the Russians say. I'm a giant skeptic when it comes to conspiracy shit but the reality is our "leaders" set up an island to rape little kids.

I've seen the drone footage of the owl statues and shit. The guy who owned the island "committed suicide" while in custody and his right hand woman was convicted of child trafficking. If they're still out there you should be able to find the flight manifests in a quick search of our "leaders" going there over and over. If that didn't rustle anyone's jimmys nothing Putin says is going to either.

This is team pedo vrs team genocide with the Ukrainians and a bunch of drunk Russian conscripts caught in the middle. It's shit in one hand and shit in the other and anyone who is saying different is either delusional or has an agenda. Meet the new boss same as the old boss.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:57:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jDrexler] [#21]

I don't want to derail the thread, but I personally LOATHE those comments. There are people who throw those accusations out just as a way to impugn the other person without having a solid foundation. It's the cancer that is killing Arfcom. I see it akin to the left throwing the "racist" tag to people on the right because it's nearly impossible to defend and the mere accusation sticks with you forever. I wish people could stick to the arguments at hand without making everything personal.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jDrexler:

Does this mean the posts that just yell "sorry your girl lost" at anyone who disagrees with them are now reportable? At the end of the day it's the same thing. Asserting that you support for a particular person in a way that's meant to insult and disparage you.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I personally LOATHE those comments. There are people who throw those accusations out just as a way to impugn the other person without having a solid foundation. It's the cancer that is killing Arfcom. I see it akin to the left throwing the "racist" tag to people on the right because it's nearly impossible to defend and the mere accusation sticks with you forever. I wish people could stick to the arguments at hand without making everything personal.

Last post on the issue, but is there any reason the staff can’t put their heads together and add it to the CoC? For years I’ve I’ve been  accused of being a Hillary voter because either I didn’t agree entirely with the hive mind on an issue or simply because I’m from NY.

If a rule were put in place to disallow baseless accusations of support for particular politicians I’d be all for it, but only if it’s applied equally.

If you’d like to continue the conversation I’d have no qualms continuing via PM.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Just catching up.

I used to be a adventurer separatist like you, but then I took a arrow bullet in the knee.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvXKj2PM4p4
View Quote

putting the bear back in his cage for a generation is certainly within the best interests of Sweden.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Vice is doing great reporting.

Upon seeing that it reaffirms my belief that separatists deserve anything they get.

And while I understand what our military members say regarding how you treat prisoners, respectfully, how you treated some goat fucker in the middle of assfuckistan is not how you’d treat some turncoat who just murdered your sister in your hometown in the middle of all out war. If it is, I honestly don’t think we can be friends. If that makes me a bad person, I can live with that.
View Quote

It isn't about morality. If the Russians think surrender means a sandwich and a call to mommy then they will surrender more easily. Less Ukrainians will die and their chances of winning increase. If they wanna break out the lime and backhoes wait till the war is over.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

No one's gonna do shit until the power goes off or the food quits showing up so it doesn't matter what the Russians say. I'm a giant skeptic when it comes to conspiracy shit but the reality is our "leaders" set up an island to rape little kids.

I've seen the drone footage of the owl statues and shit. The guy who owned the island "committed suicide" while in custody and his right hand woman was convicted of child trafficking. If they're still out there you should be able to find the flight manifests in a quick search of our "leaders" going there over and over. If that didn't rustle anyone's jimmys nothing Putin says is going to either.

This is team pedo vrs team genocide with the Ukrainians and a bunch of drunk Russian conscripts caught in the middle. It's shit in one hand and shit in the other and anyone who is saying different is either delusional or has an agenda. Meet the new boss same as the old boss.
View Quote

Nothing is going to happen cuz the country is morally bankrupt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Based on their armbands they are Ukrainian separatists - white armbands (AKA) traitors to their own country. What is the penalty for treason? What should it be if you are killing your own civilian countrymen?
View Quote

A bit ironic, given our Founding Fathers were separatists.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Krater:

View All Quotes

Rule #1 for revolutionaries/separatists is don’t lose.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Hi-Vel:

Russians come to my country and murder innocents by the bushel I will drag things out much longer and painfully. It'll be epic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hi-Vel:
Originally Posted By TheResurrector:

Yep. As an Active Duty Soldier, I picture someone doing this to me after I am captured. Fuck Ukraine. I hope they all die.

Russians come to my country and murder innocents by the bushel I will drag things out much longer and painfully. It'll be epic.

QFT, with Russia posting this video I’m not sure if this is Ukrainians doing this in the first place but if I’m fighting for my very existence with the threat of another Holdomor if my side loses… they’re not just catching a bullet to the leg. The next Russian unit into my town is going to find heads on spikes. Or worse.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Suggesting some sort of equivalency between those two is a tiny bit of a stretch... Don't 'cha think?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#32]
The pearl-clutching about some bad guys getting shot on the battlefield is to be expected.

Bad guys, especially if they are irregulars and separatists, getting shot on-site is also to be expected.

War is hell. It doesn’t make it right, but it is understandable.

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

I'm not on Russia's side by any means, 100% opposed to their bullshit invasion but that said it isn't really the individual soldiers fault. What do you expect them to do ? Refuse orders ? Heck a lot of them didn't even get the choice whether or not to join the military. They didn't have any good option. About the best option I can see is to surrender and plead your case that you were forced and didn't want to participate.
View Quote

I agree with the policy of treating prisoners well and according to the Geneva convention. For multitudes of reasons it’s the best policy.
I should not have made the comment and wish I could take it back. FWIW

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:
I think people are forgetting Ukraine is only slightly removed from Russia. There are still statues and busts of Lenin and Stalin in Ukrainian cities and towns. Really no better than 3rd world savages. The kneecapping video proves they can be just as evil.
View Quote

Don't go to Seattle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

Suggesting some sort of equivalency between those two is a tiny bit of a stretch... Don't 'cha think?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

That's not how libs think. They just go with what things have in common and ignore everything else. CNN and their echo chambers do it, so they assume everyone else does too.

Or whatever
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:19:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#38]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
I'm withholding judgment on the POW video until info comes out as per my SOP with any domestic video used to spark outrage. The only source I see on my Twit feed is pro-Russian, which raises questions.
View Quote

Lol. Right. Because Pro-Ukrainian accounts and OSINT wanna be Reddit Army Warriors which outnumber Pro-Russian accounts 9:1 are going to share it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Not that I like Biden…  but these photos speak volumes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvXKj2PM4p4
View Quote

Thank you. Good, tight synopsis from that presenter on Sweden's activities. Explains the multiple (NATO flagged) cargo aircraft landings near Bofors last 72 hours.

RE: Kaliningrad, late last night a Russian flagged aircraft threaded the Baltic air corridor into Kaliningrad, and then after a brief time on ground left with (escorting?) a Bermuda flagged aircraft back through the corridor into Russia (then both dropped ADS-B).
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CGC:

If they are separatists or mercenaries or otherwise irregulars, then they are unlawful combatants per Law of Armed Conflict. They are not fighting under they flag of a sovereign state, subject to summary execution as sabateurs. This is what they should do with them and properly document their deaths for accountability, not record it for frivolous reasons.
View Quote

Nope.  How about you read up on the subject?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlawful_combatant
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Winston Churchill had a turn of phrase that I always loved.
“…now at this very moment I knew the United States was in the war up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all!  England would live; Britain would live; the Commonwealth of Nations and the Empire would live. How long the war would last or in what fashion it would end, no man could tell, nor did I at this moment care. once again in our long Island history we should emerge, however mauled or mutilated, safe and victorious. We should not be wiped out. Our history would not come to an end. We might not even have to die as individuals.
Hitler’s fate was sealed. Mussolini’s fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to powder. . All the rest was merely the proper application of overwhelming force…United we could subdue everybody else in the world. Many disasters, immeasurable cost and tribulation lay ahead, but there was no more doubt about the end.”

It took near-annihilation followed by a significant degree of magnanimity to remake the Japanese nation.  I do not hate the Russian people and believe we can live together in mutual peace and prosperity, but sadly they may have to be ground to powder first.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Originally Posted By Balu:

Russian imperialism, Russism, the ideology of Russian supremacy, Pan-Slavism, and glorification of the USSR must be eliminated completely or there will never be peace in that region. Russia has a shameful history of barbaric violence as the primary means to build an empire. Once they lose this war and they are crushed economically, the entire rotten Russist culture must be dismantled and erased just like Nazism was in Germany and Japanese Imperialism was in Japan.

Winston Churchill had a turn of phrase that I always loved.
“…now at this very moment I knew the United States was in the war up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all!  England would live; Britain would live; the Commonwealth of Nations and the Empire would live. How long the war would last or in what fashion it would end, no man could tell, nor did I at this moment care. once again in our long Island history we should emerge, however mauled or mutilated, safe and victorious. We should not be wiped out. Our history would not come to an end. We might not even have to die as individuals.
Hitler’s fate was sealed. Mussolini’s fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to powder. . All the rest was merely the proper application of overwhelming force…United we could subdue everybody else in the world. Many disasters, immeasurable cost and tribulation lay ahead, but there was no more doubt about the end.”

It took near-annihilation followed by a significant degree of magnanimity to remake the Japanese nation.  I do not hate the Russian people and believe we can live together in mutual peace and prosperity, but sadly they may have to be ground to powder first.

Agreed. It sucks that it may have to come to that but if their ideology is left to fester after this war yet again, they will never accept peaceful coexistence with their neighbors. Just like there has not been any peace while the USSR was empire building and even after its fall the Russians kept stirring up pretext for war everywhere they went, followed by invasions. Ichkeria, Afghanistan, Abkhazia, S. Ossetia, Georgia, Nagorno-Karabakh, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Crimea, and now the whole of Ukraine. They already stated that after Ukraine they have their eyes on Moldova, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Gotland island, Finland and Sweden. Russian expansionist aggression and the ideology driving it must be utterly destroyed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

There was a video of the Russians inside the airport administration building yesterday. Remember when all the media said they were "exterminated" after the first days of the war, this is a good example of why we can't trust any media on both sides.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CletusRoundbelly:

Macron seems to think the Russians are reasonable.

He's a fool.

View Quote

Macron is right. The more the russians are further convinced they are in a fight for their existence the longer and worse this gets for Ukraine. Biden needs to shut his fucking mouth if he isn't capable of thinking. The "butcher" statement he made was designed to make him look good to the victims. But he is creating more victims. I'm sure we can all agree that more dead and injured children is the last thing we want.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:

There was a video of the Russians inside the airport administration building yesterday. Remember when all the media said they were "exterminated" after the first days of the war, this is a good example of why we can't trust any media on both sides.
View Quote

Were they actually in the building yesterday? Or last month?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#47]

I'm not on Russia's side by any means, 100% opposed to their bullshit invasion but that said it isn't really the individual soldiers fault. What do you expect them to do ? Refuse orders ? Heck a lot of them didn't even get the choice whether or not to join the military. They didn't have any good option. About the best option I can see is to surrender and plead your case that you were forced and didn't want to participate.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:
Don't know how long this one will be up.

I'm posting this mostly for the romantics that think this shit is so cool.  It's not, and this is how bad things are getting.  The laws of land warfare we pretend to care about so much, mean next to nothing when two sides hate each other this much.

This is what it comes to.  Draw whatever conclusion you like.

Kid gloves are off

Kneecapping prisoners? I guess they should have stayed in Russia.

Assuming what we see on the video is what actually happened and it's not some FSB manufactured propaganda, the white arm band dudes are NOT Russian soldiers. It's important to understand that there are separatists in the Donbass region who are a mixture of local ethnic Russians, FSB agent provocateurs and local criminal element who may or may not be Russians or Ukrainians by ethnicity. These groups have been armed and supported by Russia to create contested territory and thus deny Ukraine the chance to join NATO, as well as to serve as a pretext for invasion. These are not conscripts or members of the regular Russian army. They are insurgents within Ukraine's borders who do not enjoy, even from a legal standpoint, the protections of the Geneva convention. Throughout conflicts of the past partisans and spies had been routinely summarily executed if caught. Not saying that makes it okay but it's a totally different situation from what a lot of hand-wringers here keep posting about.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By xmission:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Statue_of_Lenin_Seattle.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Lenin_(Seattle)

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xmission:
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

There's Soviet monuments all over the 2nd world.
Meaningless.
Are they all 3rd world savages too? Have you visited?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Statue_of_Lenin_Seattle.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Lenin_(Seattle)

Stunning map reveals 100 statues of Lenin have been toppled in Ukraine (2014)

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Agreed. It's easy to say that these are war crimes - and you'd be technically correct - when you're sitting thousands of miles away. People have forgotten how terrible war is and all that it brings. Over the past few decades, we've seen "sanitized" pictures of war. A Hellfire strike here, some machine gun fire there, everything from a safe distance without maimed bodies but nothing up-close and personal. War is hell, and maybe it's good that we are reminded of its horror so we/everyone don't get too gung-ho about getting into the next war.
View All Quotes
There isn't a Ukrainian soldier who hasn't seen the photos and videos of their guys being tortured and killed in 2014. There isn't a Ukrainian soldier who isn't aware of what happened at Iloviask. There isn't a Ukrainian soldier who hasn't seen photos of dead  kids,shot up cars  and the destruction of Mariupol. Expecting them to make Russians chai and give them cookies at this stage of the not a war is a bit much.

I do not endorse what is done and filming it was just absolutely stupid but it is ignorant to wonder why it took place.   I have already said enough times that the longer Europe and the US allow the war to go on the worse it will be. It is patently stupid to think that Putin will get bored or Ukrainians will just give up. Dithering is only making matters worse. Biden,Macron,Johnson and Scholz need to realize this.

Agreed. It's easy to say that these are war crimes - and you'd be technically correct - when you're sitting thousands of miles away. People have forgotten how terrible war is and all that it brings. Over the past few decades, we've seen "sanitized" pictures of war. A Hellfire strike here, some machine gun fire there, everything from a safe distance without maimed bodies but nothing up-close and personal. War is hell, and maybe it's good that we are reminded of its horror so we/everyone don't get too gung-ho about getting into the next war.

When I was in Kyiv in the winter of 2014, I had a few beers with a local guy who worked as a photojournalist in Donbas from the beginning. He showed me an unpublished set of pictures, that I still have never seen elsewhere, from earlier that year, not long after the start of the war.

The pictures showed a clearing outside of some woods full of dead Ukrainian soldiers, lined up relatively neatly, as if they had been lined up and shot. Most of the corpses displayed some charring as well.

He told me “the death toll is worse than the UN says it is.”
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Attachment Attached File
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1338 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top