Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1352 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Poll reveals that only about 15% are based. If you come around looking for resources, bring your daughters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Firefly1032:

I know Ukraine is causing substantial casualties on the Russian but I don’t get the perception that Ukraine is “winning”, certainly not enough to re-capture Crimea or LHR/DHR. .
View Quote

The definition of Ukraine "winning" is them not losing. The fact that the Russian Federation gave up on Kiev and presumably on Lvov and other such cities is a sign of victory. Ukraine can regroup and then concentrate on retaking Mariupol and maybe Crimea. Now it's a moot point not to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:23:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grambosc] [#3]
Originally Posted By Stretchman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44YZkikRGB0

I was actually stationed in England when this was all the rage. CND protestors, who were largely agent provocateur, attempted to surround our base and effectively shut us down, but were unable to impede the flow of traffic.

There were a lot of perimeter breaches by the protestors and the British had jurisdiction and would come and collect them.

Two full fledged KGB agents were caught by British intelligence. One was actually working in a secure area. Crazy times. The Brit subjects largely hated the yanks, at least, the younger ones did. It was kind of a suck tour.

Spain, otoh, was a blast. Was tdy there when the marine barracks was bombed, back in 83. The Cold war was a lot hotter than most people back in the world ever knew.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stretchman:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

It was scarier when there were 5 times the amount of warheads. Now it is the post launch supply chain failures that will kill everyone, not radiation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44YZkikRGB0

I was actually stationed in England when this was all the rage. CND protestors, who were largely agent provocateur, attempted to surround our base and effectively shut us down, but were unable to impede the flow of traffic.

There were a lot of perimeter breaches by the protestors and the British had jurisdiction and would come and collect them.

Two full fledged KGB agents were caught by British intelligence. One was actually working in a secure area. Crazy times. The Brit subjects largely hated the yanks, at least, the younger ones did. It was kind of a suck tour.

Spain, otoh, was a blast. Was tdy there when the marine barracks was bombed, back in 83. The Cold war was a lot hotter than most people back in the world ever knew.

My dad was on the Stribling (DD-867) when it made a port call in NY in the 60s.  Because it had been FRAMmed out with nuclear anti submarine rockets, some of the protestors handcuffed themselves to the deck handrails because they thought it would prevent the ship's departure.

Instead, the order was given to cut the handcuffs with an acetylene torch (hand warming if not heartwarming) and they were tossed overboard for the NY harbor patrol to fish out of the drink.  I don't think any of them tried that tactic there again.

It was brilliant, effective, and restrained solution that would certainly not be tolerated in today's Navy.

It's one of my dad's better Navy stories.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

dont let them know that. Lol.
View Quote

"In Russia, cannon shoot you!"

I can't imagine a military where you rape your junior enlisted troops, have essentially no NCO corps, and abuse the hell out of company-grade officers.  Not to mention shit like this.  

No wonder their doctrine had them going straight to chemicals and tactical nukes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

The. It's still going to be a long, slow slog to dislodge the Russians and send them packing. .
View Quote

IMO this war will last at least 2 years. At least, probably longer.

The biggest danger to Ukraine is giving up territory at the negotiating table.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

I think he was making a self deprecating joke about an American having to drive a right hand drive stick shift.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RUM:
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FO65fpjX0Acbb3u?format=jpg&name=small

Is he complaining about not getting something tailored to him in a war zone?

I think he was making a self deprecating joke about an American having to drive a right hand drive stick shift.

Imagine trying to drive on the right side of the road, from the wrong side of the car, like a postman.

Now do it in a war zone.

I'm sure he was just joking about the situation, and will be careful to return the car in one piece.  Or at least try to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

You gonna keep your brass?
View All Quotes

And we hoped the ammo shortage might get better! LOL!
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I will shoot the first five Russians that come to my house, trying to sign a peace accord. Maybe, by the sixth, I will have calmed down enough to listen. No promises.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By grambosc:

Imagine trying to drive on the right side of the road, from the wrong side of the car, like a postman.

Now do it in a war zone.

I'm sure he was just joking about the situation, and will be careful to return the car in one piece.  Or at least try to.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grambosc:
Originally Posted By RUM:
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FO65fpjX0Acbb3u?format=jpg&name=small

Is he complaining about not getting something tailored to him in a war zone?

Now do it in a war zone.

Yep....it's hard to believe that anyone would take that as a serious complaint.  I grew up throwing baseballs but still look like a retard if I throw one left handed.....I'm guessing running a stick shift left handed would be similar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Armenia has denied this.  
View Quote

They're getting invaded by Azerbaijan again, I don't know why they would want to transfer planes. Doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:

The definition of Ukraine "winning" is them not losing. The fact that the Russian Federation gave up on Kiev and presumably on Lvov and other such cities is a sign of victory. Ukraine can regroup and then concentrate on retaking Mariupol and maybe Crimea. Now it's a moot point not to.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:
Originally Posted By Firefly1032:

I know Ukraine is causing substantial casualties on the Russian but I don’t get the perception that Ukraine is “winning”, certainly not enough to re-capture Crimea or LHR/DHR. .

My guess is they will push towards Kherson, to try and cut.off Crimea and go north.

They have to reinforce izium though
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:

Bellingcat?

It's the equivalent of quoting RT, or CNN.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

Bellingcat?

It's the equivalent of quoting RT, or CNN.

Feel free to post content.

@SheltiePimp
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Armenia has denied this.  
View All Quotes

Armenia has denied this.  

@Prime

Feel free to post some content.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The most severe ground fighting in Ukraine's war against Russia has shifted east, with the most intense combat now centered in the country's Kharkiv, Luhansk and Mariupol sectors, official statements and news reports on Monday said.

Serhiy Haidai, head of the Luhansk region defense command, said that Russian Federation (RF) forces shelled the towns Severodonetsk and Rubezhnoe overnight. RF forces attempted five "massed attacks" in Luhansk region on Sunday, he said.

UAF forces turned back the assaults, burning RF tanks, armored personnel carriers and trucks, he said. A Monday morning, March 28, statement from the Army General Staff (AGS) credited Ukraine Armed Forces (UAF) units in Luhansk sector with the destruction of two RF tanks, an armored personnel carrier, and a truck.

The important road intersection city Izium has become a focus for much of the fighting. According to Ukraine Army statements, on Sunday UAF units captured three villages controlling roads leading to Izium: Topolske (to the southwest), as well as Sukha Kamianka and Kamian'ka (both the south-east). Fighting was continuing, the statement said.

The AGS also reported multiple RF attacks on UAF defenses holding the perimeter of the surrounded city Mariupol, crediting units there with the elimination of 150 RF soldiers, two tanks, and eight armored personnel carriers.

Mariupol's defenses, now locked in the fourth week of a siege by RF forces, are held by a combined force drawn from the UAF 36 Marine Brigade, the Azov National Guard Regiment and local police.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in a Sunday evening interview with independent RF media said that in past weeks he offered UAF forces holding Mariupol the option of surrendering or attempting to escape the encirclement. He said they refused, preferring to defend the city to the last.
View Quote
Sources: Most intense combat in Ukraine war shifting east
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By michigan66:

"In Russia, cannon shoot you!"

I can't imagine a military where you rape your junior enlisted troops, have essentially no NCO corps, and abuse the hell out of company-grade officers.  Not to mention shit like this.  

No wonder their doctrine had them going straight to chemicals and tactical nukes.
View Quote

The west can't understand a culture that doesn't value humans.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

That's been the rumor for quite some time now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]

It's 3 hours old.

This is a directive to;

A) Force Russian oil and gas companies to "only" accept payments for contracts that were settled years ago in rubles.

B) Force Russian oil and gas companies to stop all transfers unless payments are made in rubles within 3 days.

That means he will cut off all gas supplies in 3 days. All of it, unless they pay on Russian terms.

Poland, Hungry, Italy, Germany, all of them face a cessation of gas supplies by the weekend.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kncook:
Prepare to switch to rubles for natural gas exports by March 31, Vladimir Putin tells Gazprom and Russia's central bank

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered the country's biggest gas company and central bank to prepare to start taking rubles for natural gas payments from "unfriendly" countries, saying they should outline their plans by March 31.

Putin blindsided traders in the natural gas market last week by announcing Russia would make countries deemed hostile pay for the product in rubles. Russia accounts for around 45% of EU gas imports,  with pipeline exports to Europe normally paid for in euros.

The President appeared keen to push ahead with the plan on Monday. He ordered Gazprom, the central bank and the government to prepare reports outlining how it will make the switch by Thursday, March 31, according to state news agency Tass. It was not immediately clear whether the switch itself would take place Thursday.

Analysts have said Putin is trying to shore up the Russian currency and to make life more complicated for Western countries that have sanctioned Moscow over its war against Ukraine.

"At face value this appears to be an attempt to prop up the ruble by compelling gas buyers to buy the previously free-falling currency in order to pay," Rystad Energy senior analyst Vinicius Romano said last week.

"What is clear however, is that this has added another element of uncertainty to the already chaotic European gas market by complicating gas purchases that many countries have been reluctant to cut."

The head of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, accused Russia of blackmail last week and said the move would be a clear breach of contract.

The boss of Italian energy company Eni, Claudio Descalzi, said at a panel in Dubai on Monday that the company would not be paying for gas in rubles.

European natural gas prices have soared due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and pushed higher last week when Putin announced the payment plan.

Dutch TTF gas futures, Europe's benchmark price, were up 4.7% Monday to 106 euros per megawatt hour. However, that was below last week's high of around 127 euros and far lower than a price of more than 300 euros hit earlier this month.

The ruble was 4.1% higher against the dollar, with $1 changing hands for 98.1 rubles. It has risen relatively sharply since plunging to a low of around 140 rubles to the dollar in early March.

---------------------------------------

WWIII, here we come.

Everyone already told Russia they aren’t going to pay it as it’s breach of contract.

This is several days old.

It's 3 hours old.

This is a directive to;

A) Force Russian oil and gas companies to "only" accept payments for contracts that were settled years ago in rubles.

B) Force Russian oil and gas companies to stop all transfers unless payments are made in rubles within 3 days.

That means he will cut off all gas supplies in 3 days. All of it, unless they pay on Russian terms.

Poland, Hungry, Italy, Germany, all of them face a cessation of gas supplies by the weekend.

Doesn't matter what it says. Paying in rubles is a non-starter and isn't going to happen. If Russia cuts them off, they're cutting their own throat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Armenia has denied this.  
View Quote

I would hope that Armenia's government isn't that retarded.  Azerbaijan has already started moving forward, the Russians are trying to talk them into stopping...and they're not.  I don't think Azerbaijan is scared of Russia's C Team showing up to save Armenia at this point.  And Armenia supporting Russia in Ukraine right now pretty much kills any chance of the west caring enough to intervene even diplomatically.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Biden Administration is pushing for Ukraine to make a deal with Russia.

That deal would likely involve Ukraine seceding the eastern sliver of the Donbass including Mariupol and recognizing the sovereignty of those separatist regions.  It would also more likely involve Ukraine pledging not to join NATO (although there could be a sunset on that pledge).  

Frankly, I think that's where this situation is heading anyways. The only question is how many people need to die before it gets there.   However, a cease fire and negotiated peace does NOT serve the best interests of the USA in the long term, because ideally the Russians would be bleed white for a number of months more.  

I think though that the Biden Administration sees the writing on the wall.  We and the rest of the world will have serious agricultural issues this year if the Russian sanctions are kept in place.  The Democrats will also be forced to drill for domestic oil and natural gas if the Russian sanctions are kept in place.  Food and gas shortages would be catastrophic for the Democrats in the midterms and even in 2024 if the Ukraine conflict stretches out into 2023, which it very well might.  

This disappointing and unfortunate fiasco though has strengthened the GOP's political position. The Democrats 11  seat majority in the House and the 1 seat majority in the Senate is absolutely certain to be lost in the midterms.  If the GOP has a solid united message of hammering the Biden Administration on Gas and Food costs they may even be able to get a super majority in the Senate.
View Quote

What the Xiden administration wants is irrelevant. What Ukraine wants is. It appears to me they want the Russians gone. They also want the oil and gas that they can sell in place of the soon to be failed Russian oil and gas. They also probably want to take away market share from the Russians on wheat and several other things. The only way that happens is to push the Russians back to Russia.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Sounds like we need to hand over some F-22s and F-35s with "specially trained pilots" to Ukraine.

Never let your enemy dictate the terms of your actions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

They're trying to stay out of the way of people who want them dead. They've been there a while now. Once the oligarchs start having problems cashing their checks, the bunkers won't mean much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Sounds like we need to hand over some F-22s and F-35s with "specially trained pilots" to Ukraine.

Never let your enemy dictate the terms of your actions.
View Quote

But we won't.

It would be nice to see them have some munitions that would break Russian will though. Cruise missies for one.

Aslo a few Russian population border cities burning would be nice. War is fine for the Russians until they're in shelters getting bombed
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
View Quote

WOW
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#27]
At this point who the hell is going to believe it's not the Russians

WASHINGTON, March 28 (Reuters) - A U.S. official said on Monday that intelligence suggests the sickening of Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich and Ukrainian peace negotiators was due to an environmental factor, not poisoning.

Citing people familiar with the matter, the Wall Street Journal and investigative outlet Bellingcat reported that Abramovich and the negotiators had suffered symptoms of suspecting poisoning earlier this month after a meeting in Kyiv. read more

The U.S. official told Reuters: "The intelligence highly suggests this was environmental," adding: "E.g., not poisoning." The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, declined to elaborate.
View Quote
Intelligence suggests 'environmental' factor sickened Abramovich, Ukrainian negotiators -U.S. official
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:

But we won't.

It would be nice to see them have some munitions that would break Russian will though. Cruise missies for one.

Aslo a few Russian population border cities burning would be nice. War is fine for the Russians until they're in shelters getting bombed
View Quote

The only use of conventional bombs that ever broke the will of a nation was the Spanish train bombings in 2003. Bombing the Russians would harden their populace against what is now a very real threat.

Or would you surrender if the Mexicans blew up small areas of El Paso?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RaynoEleven:

That's very close to my assessment of what happened.  Only my opinion.  

Vlad has been sitting in his office allowing nobody to come within ten yards of him.  Those he allows that close don't dare tell him anything but what he wants to hear.  He's been smelling his own farts and reading his own press releases for so long he has no real grasp of the actual situation.

I also believe that the sanctions surprised him.  He was prepared for the weak sanctions the US and NATO might bring on, but...  When the Ukes stood up to the schoolyard bully and bloodied his nose, suddenly all the kids saw him as weak.  The sanction "pile on" was all the smaller kids paying him back for being the bully for so long.  That's really a major factor in the current dilemma for Vlad.

Now Vlad is deeply into the tar baby, and can't extract himself.  Every day this goes on, Vlad looks weaker and more inept.

I went into boot camp in '78, I remember when the Russians were the big scary bear we were all worried about.  

I have totally enjoyed lots of popcorn watching this shit show.
View Quote

"And the Tar Baby, he don't say Nothin'."
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

I hope your right and I'm wrong.

But I dont really see the happy ending here for Ukraine.

-If Ukraine was this golden goose, we'd have expected a lot more investment into the country before it got invaded

-Its hard to see how much $ is to be made in a country thats had much of its infrastructre - especially its crucial port cities where it can export grain and materials - blown to bits.

-The amount of $ Ukraine will need to rebuild was recently estimated at $560 Billion; should the war drag on at its current pace for another month or two rebuilding may reach $1 Trillion. No one is sending $500B-$1 Trillion to Ukraine, a country neither in NATO or the EU nor really essential to the US or EU beyond being a meat grinder against the Russians.

-Its far faster for the US to re-jigger its agriculture to produce more wheat (perhaps plant less corn for ethanol and corn syrup) to boost world wheat stocks then it is to rebuild ukraine into an wheat exporting powerhouse.

The most likely recovery I see is China poorly rebuilding Ukraine in exchange for long term wheat supplies and being a central hub of Chinas EU Belt and Road Initiative.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Balu:
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Originally Posted By Birddog15:
Amazing clip:

And overall great (37 post) thread on how sanctions will begin the unraveling of Russia:

If that first clip is from a pro Putin talk show, then I guess what he is saying is that it must either be total victory over Ukraine, or the end of Russia.  Am I understanding that correctly?

He's saying essentially that if "The Great Power known as Russia" TM can't subdue little Ukraine, then the mythos of Russian Power/ Greatness will be shattered irrevocably, and they will be on their way as a worthless power and heading toward the dustbin of history.

Basically he's saying if they can't take Ukraine, any future threat against NATO or the US will seem utterly absurd. And it was their ability to threaten NATO/US that have Russia its Gravitas and domestic legitimacy for the last 70+ years.
This.  100%.  Great synopsis.

The perception of power *is* power . . . and the world's perception of Russia is that they couldn't knock over a lemonade stand run by a troop of girl scouts at this point.  If they don't win definitively - total surrender without conditions - then they lose.  Period.

They are setting the stage for escalation.

What other choice do they have?

Serious question.

Plenty; the best case is not escalation but just keep doing what they are doing until they can negotiate a 80/20 solution:

1. Crimea recognized as Russian territory
2. Ukraine commits to not join NATO or host offensive weapons (ABM, SRBM, Cruise, etc)
3. Donbass becomes 'autonomous' buffer state* (this the least important of the 2)

Achieving 1+2 would actually be a substantial victory, especially if forecast out 40-50 years. Assuming of course that the west removes sanctions if Ukraine asks them too as part of the peace deal.

Thats my biggest fear - Ukraine strikes a peace deal with Russia...and then the US/West says 'fuck that' and keeps the sanctions going, prompting Russia to continue the war. Thats when escalation is going to happen.

That's a completely untenable end state for Ukraine. Why would they even consider a "deal" like that? They would be fools to agree to anything less than the restoration of Ukraine's Budapest Accord borders.

Uggh, unless the US/NATO somehow put boots on the ground in Ukraine, or Putin 'dies from covid', that peace deal is the single best outcome Ukraine can hope for.

Russia is a bunch of brutish, drunken oafs weilding ancient weapons built by commies... but they have an authoritarian regime, 140 million people, and a bottomless stockpile of dumb bombs and artillery.

Collectively, Russia can institute a draft, zombie horde this out, taking insane casualties but steadily scouring ukrainian cities from the earth. Every day this war goes on, more of Ukraine is smashed to rubble.

Already Mariupol looks like downtown Syria. Once this happens to every city, Ukraine (a poor country pre-invasion) will be effectively destroyed, destined to poverty and misery for decades barring a complete $100+ Billion rebuilding fund from the west.

So, by comparison, that peace deal is pretty sweet; its essentially a status quo antebellum, recognizing the facts on the ground that existed pre-invasion.

Sucks but thats reality.

I don't think Russia has the ability to do to any other city what they've done to Mariupol. At this point, as long as western weaponry continues to flow like water, Russia will end up getting pushed back to the original pre-war borders and possibly removed from Crimea. The only peace accord the Ukrainians will want to sign is one where Russia gives up its claims to Ukrainian land altogether. After that, it's up to Ukraine to decide what it wants to do. For sure, Ukraine can count on money coming in for rebuilding. The west may use all the seized Russian assets to get the money to send to them just as a big FU to Putin (assuming he's still around). The west also wants access to Ukrainian resources like wheat, oil, and gas. That's why money will pour into Ukraine post-war.

I hope your right and I'm wrong.

But I dont really see the happy ending here for Ukraine.

-If Ukraine was this golden goose, we'd have expected a lot more investment into the country before it got invaded

-Its hard to see how much $ is to be made in a country thats had much of its infrastructre - especially its crucial port cities where it can export grain and materials - blown to bits.

-The amount of $ Ukraine will need to rebuild was recently estimated at $560 Billion; should the war drag on at its current pace for another month or two rebuilding may reach $1 Trillion. No one is sending $500B-$1 Trillion to Ukraine, a country neither in NATO or the EU nor really essential to the US or EU beyond being a meat grinder against the Russians.

-Its far faster for the US to re-jigger its agriculture to produce more wheat (perhaps plant less corn for ethanol and corn syrup) to boost world wheat stocks then it is to rebuild ukraine into an wheat exporting powerhouse.

The most likely recovery I see is China poorly rebuilding Ukraine in exchange for long term wheat supplies and being a central hub of Chinas EU Belt and Road Initiative.

More likely, Europe and the west will pour money into Ukraine to replace the oil and gas Russia is no longer able to supply. This is especially true with Europe who needs to fill a big shortfall. Thing is, Ukraine hasn't had that much of its infrastructure turned to rubble because the Russians want all that for themselves. They could care less about apartment buildings and hospitals. But pipelines that they send Russian oil and gas to Europe with? They want those in tact because it means money for them. Same with the ports.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

Yep....it's hard to believe that anyone would take that as a serious complaint.  I grew up throwing baseballs but still look like a retard if I throw one left handed.....I'm guessing running a stick shift left handed would be similar.
View Quote

I was in Japan for three years while in the Navy.  You pick it up pretty quickly.  Fortunately the pedals are the same.  I haven't driven a stick in years but swapping to left foot accelerator/brake, right foot clutch would be a disaster.  Even with an "auto" that would be truly dangerous.  Now, turning into the "right" lanes on turns or in/out of driveways, or looking the right way as a pedestrian, takes some adjusting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Featureless:

I was in Japan for three years while in the Navy.  You pick it up pretty quickly.  Fortunately the pedals are the same.  I haven't driven a stick in years but swapping to left foot accelerator/brake, right foot clutch would be a disaster.  Even with an "auto" that would be truly dangerous.  Now, turning into the "right" lanes on turns or in/out of driveways, or looking the right way as a pedestrian, takes some adjusting.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Featureless:
Originally Posted By fox2008:

I drove one in Scotland, it's really not that bad. Comes quick...driving on the wrong side is WAY harder to get used to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Then they deploy chemical weapons or tactical nukes.  That is, unless they have some face-saving way to disengage and put and end to this crap.  

In a perfect world, we blast Putin, make everything good, and live happily ever after.  

Not going to happen; we help nobody by making the perfect the enemy of the good, and we are rapidly moving to the point where millions get to share the misery of hundreds of thousands of Ukranians.
View All Quotes

The theory is that Russia cannot resupply because they no longer have the materiel to resupply with. On the other hand, Ukraine can continue to use ATGMs, and have supposedly received some advanced SAMs of some sort that will defeat the cruise missiles (what few Russia has left). Once Ukraine gets more of those and anti-ship missiles, the ability of Russia to prosecute the war goes to near zero. Ukraine has been pushing the Russians back on all fronts including in the east. It's still going to be a long, slow slog to dislodge the Russians and send them packing. The West needs to hurry up and get the advanced weapons and equipment like SAMS, Switchblades and the like to Ukraine. Talk is cheap, lives are not.

Then they deploy chemical weapons or tactical nukes.  That is, unless they have some face-saving way to disengage and put and end to this crap.  

In a perfect world, we blast Putin, make everything good, and live happily ever after.  

Not going to happen; we help nobody by making the perfect the enemy of the good, and we are rapidly moving to the point where millions get to share the misery of hundreds of thousands of Ukranians.

The Ukrainians want the Russians out of their country, pure and simple. And, they're willing to fight to make that happen. Nobody gives a damn about Putin and face-saving. What matters is booting Russia back to its own borders and removing them as a world power. The way this conflict ends is in Russia's defeat. This needs to happen now instead of in the future when he rebuilds and threatens Poland next time or the Baltics. There is no escaping WW3 unless Russia is defeated now via conventional warfare. We and NATO are engaged in the battle whether we like it or not. It just so happens we're letting the Ukrainians take the fight to the Russians instead of Poland and the Baltic countries having to fight on theirs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Are you basing this on their rational, consistent, compliant, and legal interactions with other nations including other "disputed borders" that have taken place in the recent past?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
Originally Posted By rca2222:

I'm not saying that Ukraine "should have" given Russia anything, and I stated that clearly in the original post. What I am saying is that Russia would probably not have invaded had their been concessions, such as Crimea and parts of the Donbas region. Those places will never be reunited with Ukraine, and in Crimea it would seem that the locals don't want to be. It isn't fair, or just, but it's the reality. Those disputed borders are also what prevent Ukraine from joining NATO.

Are you basing this on their rational, consistent, compliant, and legal interactions with other nations including other "disputed borders" that have taken place in the recent past?

I'm basing it on Putin's self interest. It was clear that economically this was going to be a disaster for him, his cronies, and Russia. Had he been given a way out I think he would have taken it. That is not to say that Ukraine wouldn't have been facing Russian aggression again in a few years, but they would have had time to prepare,  and perhaps join NATO.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sq40:

I had no idea you could do that. Incredible.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Haub:
Anyone translate this? Anonymous leaked it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/008331E4-4711-4552-9543-C2BB6E1D3CA6_jpe-2329167.JPG

Translation via Google Lens on phone

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51966712336_d0103df0c6_k.jpg

I had no idea you could do that. Incredible.

Very cool tech, and it looks like the video was likely a fake manufactured in compliance with this directive? which would explain how RT had it first?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#37]

The Ukrainians want the Russians out of their country, pure and simple. And, they're willing to fight to make that happen. Nobody gives a damn about Putin and face-saving. What matters is booting Russia back to its own borders and removing them as a world power. The way this conflict ends is in Russia's defeat. This needs to happen now instead of in the future when he rebuilds and threatens Poland next time or the Baltics. There is no escaping WW3 unless Russia is defeated now via conventional warfare. We and NATO are engaged in the battle whether we like it or not. It just so happens we're letting the Ukrainians take the fight to the Russians instead of Poland and the Baltic countries having to fight on theirs.
View Quote

Overreach, in my opinion, but nobody asked me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
Based on maps, it looks like Crimea has a bridge to Russia in the east.  I don't understand why Russia needs the seaports in Southern Ukraine. Sevastopol should have a warm deep water port.  Unless the bridge from Crimea to Russia is some 2 lane wooden piece of shit, I don't understand why those other ports would be so critical.  For the costs of this war they could have built a hell of a nice bridge, pipelines, water/sewer, rails, etc.
View Quote

This is about erasing Ukraine, and making it russia. This other stuff is bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By rca2222:
I'm not saying that Ukraine "should have" given Russia anything, and I stated that clearly in the original post. What I am saying is that Russia would probably not have invaded had their been concessions, such as Crimea and parts of the Donbas region. Those places will never be reunited with Ukraine, and in Crimea it would seem that the locals don't want to be. It isn't fair, or just, but it's the reality. Those disputed borders are also what prevent Ukraine from joining NATO.
View Quote
There is no use in "would have/could have" discussion. It's just as easy looking at the words that have come out of Moscow to say that the probably would have invaded anyway, because they have to crush those Nazis. You don't stage the majority of your active duty forces for an invasion just for show.

I would also not bet on "never be reunited" either. If Russia's military continues to be chewed up and rendered unfit/unable to be supplied, There's no telling how far a fully-mobilized and western-equipped Ukraine could go. I hope they fully restore the borders that Russia promised to respect in the Budapest Memo, by force if need be.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

I drove one in Scotland, it's really not that bad. Comes quick...driving on the wrong side is WAY harder to get used to.
View Quote

Yeah I attended some training at Hereford for two months back in 2010. Was driving a bunch of different vehicles but my favorite was a zippy little VW Golf GTI stick shift from the right seat. It’s not hard to get used to.

The Brits mentioned it was also easier for them to adjust to driving in the states than it was to transition back to UK style. It’s just not as natural.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

They're getting invaded by Azerbaijan again, I don't know why they would want to transfer planes. Doesn't make sense.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Armenia has denied this.  

Wiki says they only have 4 SU-30s, but didn't use them in the last war because they didn't procure a lot of the newer weapons systems to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:
Russian moves in Ukraine seem bafflingly short-sighted

How could the Russians--Putin in particular--fail to calculate the inevitable downstream implications of their actions?  It makes no sense--almost--unless something is missing from the analysis.

Here is an intelligence analyst who asserts that Russia (for some reason) is fighting in Ukraine with its fingers, and not a fist.  

He seems to be fluent with Russian military capabilities and inventories, most especially their nuclear weapons, which is his area of expertise.

I can't vouch for his analysis--but he seems to know what he is talking about, and his credentials seem strong.

ARFCOM has assured me that EMP is a non-issue, but he seems to be perfectly familiar with the technical specs for military-grade EMP hardening, and asserts that it is not good enough to prevent incapacitation by Russian EMP weapons.  But perhaps ARFCOM knows better?

Lastly, he cites cultural inadequacies in the way the West perceives the world so as to leave it blind to the Russian pragmatic world view's intentions.

Anyway--it is food for thought.

Hopefully he is completely wrong.  

If not, we'll probably know in the next couple weeks.

The Nuclear 9/11 In Our Future...

Hour-long Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIVYKReWPA
View Quote

Damn man. I watched that whole video

That’s some scary shit

All of it. Worth watching
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
Great, the long slow death of starvation instead of instant vaporization. I'm not sure that's an improvement honestly.
View Quote

Well, that is what happens when the nukes start flying. Better practice your subsistence farming.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By binthere:
Yeah I attended some training at Hereford for two months back in 2010. Was driving a bunch of different vehicles but my favorite was a zippy little VW Golf GTI stick shift from the right seat. It’s not hard to get used to.

The Brits mentioned it was also easier for them to adjust to driving in the states than it was to transition back to UK style. It’s just not as natural.
View Quote

"what color is the boathouse?"

just kidding.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

Well, most of one anyway
View Quote

Disassembled and leaking
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:04:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#47]
So Russia is getting and actively recruiting non-Russians to participate in their bloodshed in Ukraine...yet...they are literally holding the West as hostages because if they interfere...than all heck is going to break lose...

Russia can go pound sand...honestly...also...the West needs to stop being so flipping weak...TRANSFER THE MIGS AND ANY AND ALL SOVIET ERA A/A SYSTEMS and START PEACEKEEPING MISSIONS!

Enough of the Ruskies being bullies...
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#48]

They're trying to stay out of the way of people who want them dead. They've been there a while now. Once the oligarchs start having problems cashing their checks, the bunkers won't mean much.
View Quote

Is this the Yamantau Mountain bunker complex that the internet was buzzing about several years ago?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

If this was the full extent of it we would not be having this thread.

The trailer park had considerable global influence and nuclear weapons. The former has largely been granted out of fear of confronting them and this idiotic desire to see Putin as some sort of reasonable peer. Russia has been allowed to simply get away with exactly what it is doing.

Contrary to what some are saying the US has placed very little importance in containing,let alone confronting Russia militarily. Consider the strength of the US forces in Europe when they invaded Georgia.
View Quote

Everyone kept equating russia with the full soviet union. It's why their sorry asses still have a seat on the security council at the un.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone translate this? Anonymous leaked it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/008331E4-4711-4552-9543-C2BB6E1D3CA6_jpe-2329167.JPG
View Quote
That's gotta be fake. An official document directing the creation of disinformation? That's even more stupid and more damaging than shooting POWs in the leg and posting video. A lot more. No way Russian command could be that bad. Right? Right?
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1352 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top