Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2600 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

Interesting article linked in tweet.

Click, read, and enjoy.
View Quote

I'll read that article when I get more free time this evening, but that's honestly a very good take, and that seems likely. Putin hopes that he can throw bodies at the problem long enough that Western support declines, at which point he can come to an agreement that allows him to take the entirety of the Donbas (I can't imagine that Putin's goals go much further than that).

It's really, really imperative that we don't let something like this come to pass. Make no mistake, if Putin is allowed to come away with something that even remotely resembles a victory, he'll inevitably be back for more in a few years. His expansionist desires need to be fucking stomped here.

This also explains why Russian propaganda has been targeting conservatives so hard. They hope they can get enough neo-isolationists elected in November that it derails our support for Ukraine. It's especially important that we (non-isolationist conservatives) stop that from happening. Honestly, I've been worried for months that the neo-isolationist wing of the GOP will find a way to fuck this up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By triode:

I am sure the Mosin Nagant rifles are being issued to some.  

Russia might need to do a buy back though.
View Quote

Sure, I am willing to let them go for $10,000 plus 100 rnds of ammo for each.  I know what I got comrade!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#4]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

Ok, well the goal is not a stand up fight in Kherson, the goal is to cut off the supplies and starve them out. It makes no sense to fight their better forces that are dug in. It makes sense to keep cutting their supply lines in the rear. At least that makes sense to me.
View Quote

The Times and Donald Macgregor say they are indeed making a stand up fight, and are taking crippling casualties (I have no idea here). Macgregor has even channeled his best inner-Cronkite and said the war is unwinnable:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/holding-ground-losing-war/

There is also a rumor that Anne-Margret is not coming.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack67:
The Times and Donald Macgregor say they are indeed making a stand up fight, and are taking crippling casualties (I have no idea here). Macgregor has even channeled his best inner-Cronkite and said the war is unwinnable:

One can only hope that Brutus enters the chat soon.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CS223:
If you are using an Apple product you can tap on the AA in the url bar and select reader mode from the drop-down and it will remove the paywall.
View All Quotes

What did it say?
If you are using an Apple product you can tap on the AA in the url bar and select reader mode from the drop-down and it will remove the paywall.

I'm on a Samsung tablet using Chrome. . Simplified view option  pops on the bottom which bypasses the paywall.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2022/09/23/ukraine_is_holding_ground_losing_war_580330.html

View All Quotes

Ok, well the goal is not a stand up fight in Kherson, the goal is to cut off the supplies and starve them out. It makes no sense to fight their better forces that are dug in. It makes sense to keep cutting their supply lines in the rear. At least that makes sense to me.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2022/09/23/ukraine_is_holding_ground_losing_war_580330.html

The Russians are going to become increasingly desperate, as the loss of the forces in Kherson, and their equipment, could well be a "Stalingrad", "Saratoga", or possibly even a "Yorktown" moment for Russia.  A large collection of their best remaining deployed troops and equipment are in a position to be destroyed/captured, which will destroy Russian offensive capability and force Russia into a long-term defensive campaign in the south in which Time joins the Ukrainian side.  We have to remember that Stalingrad did not end WWII for the Axis and both Saratoga and Yorktown did not immediately end the war, as some of the bloodiest, brutal "no-quarter" fighting in the American Revolution actually took place after Yorktown (the Second Southern Campaign, The Gnadenhutten Massacre, the Crawford Expedition, etc).  In the Russian view, they need to turn this into a "Leningrad" "Salerno" or "Bagstone", where the besieged forces are rescued and their position and military power left at least somewhat intact.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Previously posted video and comments label it a SU-30.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By triode:

I am sure the Mosin Nagant rifles are being issued to some.  

Russia might need to do a buy back though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41727/6D56C5D1-EE6E-4B0C-A7D1-A22C3B9E00EE_jpe-2537301.JPG

This was from twitter today.

This has to be a WW2 reenacting photo…. Right??
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Hostile1:

I don't understand what all of that means in context.
View Quote

To me they are saying "We tried to help you, but you have shown your gratitude by injuring us.  Do not  ask us for help in the future".
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#15]
Originally Posted By j_hooker:

This has to be a WW2 reenacting photo…. Right??
View Quote

That is what is being said, yes.

St. Petersburg, 2020
https://www.giornalettismo.com/foto-fake-soldati-russi-armati-parata-2020/
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:03:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By vahog:

I feel Biden's incompetence/dementia has been a major factor to success in our Ukraine policy so far. He usually does a decent job of doing as he is told, and his inner circles are so far outside their comfort zone of domestic political posturing, that they are also doing what they are told by the "professionals" (if that is the right term).In a way, it's the deep state doing what it is supposed to do, without the sinister content of the phrase. It's also helped that the Europeans have shown some backbone and pulled the advisors along.
View Quote

Can you imagine being the guy/gal responsible for translating Biden's speeches into Russian for Putin and the FSB??!! With all the mumbling and mealy mouthed gibberish! Then, less than 24 hours later, the "official" White House contradicts everything that was translated. "Dimitri! You translated wrong again!!" Talk about wanting to jump (thrown) from a window.

Then, the FSB folks whose job it is to analyze Biden's speech for policy implications Even if you figure out what he said and meant, it gets contradicted an hour later and you look like a fool to your bosses.

It adds a certain unpredictability to the US response that may, hopefully, be an advantage. Like a German General once said "war is chaos and the US Army practices chaos ever day". Or something like that...
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

The Netherlands is also giving Russian draft dodgers political asylum.
Not party to any of the aguments but the feeling seems to be that it hurts Putin.
View Quote

Giving them asylum and watching them is the correct answer. I would probably require them to do a certain amount of charity work to keep them busy while in country, but building a large exodus is optimal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

I respect what Macgregor accomplished in the service, but at this point he seems either disenfranchised from not ascending higher or literally a paid mouthpiece.  I get it that my perspective is skewed towards Ukraine, but I do seek other sources as well.  This article projects an image so far from the current reality that it is disturbing it is given a voice in conservative circles (I know we've hashed this with regards to him appearing on Tucker).
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Schmigs:
View Quote

Just for reference:

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Wow, he's being very kind and gentle.

Pretty much all the Russians that surrendered in WWII were sent back to RUS in 1945, Stalin had them sent to the gulag or shot.  Mostly shot.

Becoming a citizen of the US or France or whatever was not an option.  After the war, Rus hold you accountable.

In Byelorussia in particular, some of the partisans were doing a "Live and let live" shtick in the German rear area in the forests, many of those guys were bypassed Red Army from 1941.  As the Red Army rolled West in 1944, Stalin parachuted NKVD in to basically say get off your ass and get to work and your time card will be getting checked after the war.  The Partisans, by and large, were more worried about what Stain would do after the war to them then Hitler during the war.

It takes a brave man to be a coward in the Red Army.

If the Ukrainians were smart they should run an IO message that  POWS will not be repatriated if they dont want to be. Thats gonna be a touchy subject.  Im not sure who wants Russian immigrants.
View Quote

I saw the other day that Ukraine promised no Russian who surrenders will ever be repatriated against his will. They know the same history.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

It is probably a hell of a system, but slowing the drones to sit still and bunching them up so you can show off your system didn't really help them in this demo. Targeting drones should be relatively easy though - if you can track jets, shooting down a drone that goes 100mph or less is going to be a piece of cake.
View Quote

Agreed. But I suspect that test was ONLY of the ammo and it's effectiveness on small drones.

In the subsequent video's they are hitting fast moving drones. Probably a test of the radar, tracking, etc.

It does look a little big and lumbering for the typical "hobby drone" defense. Hopefully it will lead to something more nimble.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Boop.

View Quote

Did I see that correct? The truck takes a Jav hit and some stuff (looked suspiciously like people) gets blown out. Then the truck drives away? WTF
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Yea, they are like the Chinese propaganda units.  Best tech and gear is showcased, but in combat they have proven to be unable to use what they are given effectively.  Or actually what they are given looks cool, but doesn't work as advertised.
View Quote

I bet on a platoon level, maybe even Company, they are an effective force. But will they be sustained, supplied, etc? And how will they react to raining 155? I look forward to their final videos.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:

Translation:   everyone saw HIMARS and wants to buy them.   Let us get in on some of that action.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:

Translation:   everyone saw HIMARS and wants to buy them.   Let us get in on some of that action.

Good, very good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Is he fucking insane?? Is this verified?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Is he fucking insane?? Is this verified?

In WW2 you got eight years for being taken prisoner….it was considered Treason. Article 58-10 of the Soviet penal code, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DOW:

Those guys look disturbingly well equipped.
View Quote

It's old footage of a military day parade in Chechnya
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

If they don’t the fine folks at Tula Ammo can supply more. Now that they can’t export to the USA I’ll bet they have a lot of extra capacity.
View Quote

I have read several times that the 7.62X39 is still used in Russia. At least by their Interior (police type) forces who sometimes prefer the X39 over the 5.45. Do they have enough in the supply chain to arm hundreds of thousands of troops? I dont know and I have doubts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Could be just cadets or some training. I practiced for the Drill Team in JROTC with an M1903.

I think I'd personally rather face a new recruit armed with a rusty AKM than someone who knew what they were doing armed with a Mosin.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

Just for reference:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65378/agdhdh_PNG-2537553.png
View Quote

Filightaware could probably clear this up easily.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

Russia's conscript force wont accomplish anything.

Russia has three paths to victory or peace without total embarrassment.
1. Some sort of economic black mail...which I do not think will work.
2. Exhaustion. Throw bodies at the problem until the West gets tired. I do not think that will work.
3. Nuclear blackmail. This might work.

Before they go all in on a nuke, I think they would probably test the brinkmanship waters of NBC.  I would anticipate a mass assault of tanks and infantry, somewhere, supported by a very large surprise nonpersistent chemical attack.  Some sort of mass use of gas like the Chlorine attack at Ypres, 1915.  Tactically, will it work? I dunno.  Its the red line test of this administration.  That would drive what comes next.

Unless Putin gets whacked, you'll see, 1,2,3.

I dont think the next big thing will be Nuke or Bio, and persistent agent isnt really useful in an attack.
View Quote

Very good point about testing the waters with chem.
If we hear about NBC gear being rushed to the front units, then we know. I'm fairly confident that some NATO intel will catch wind of the impending NBC use. Question is will it be days or hours before its used.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Took 6 hours to get my last Mosin to quit dripping cosmoline. Shame to see AK's look like that.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#36]
"New Report About Putin's Orders Makes Retired U.S. General Laugh"
View Quote

New report about Putin's orders makes retired general laugh
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#37]

That’s in the article too.
View All Quotes

That’s in the article too.

Why is Ukraine advancing at all though? Do they really need to take territory before the October rains? Ukraine isn’t taking back that much territory, why should hundreds of men die and dozens of vehicles be destroyed for not much land gained?

Maybe Ukraine was trying to cause another mass Russian retreat before the sham referendums. But everyone already knows they are a sham, except for pro-Russians. Doesn’t seem worth it to me to have men die just to disrupt a referendum that doesn’t matter anyway.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By kncook:

Time to begin sanction efforts against Orban and Hungary. Seems they have an obvious favorite in the conflict.
View Quote

Hungary doesnt border Russia and only so many Russians could fly to Hungary. In a way, Hungary is helping the cause by taking in some Russians rather than those Russians getting stuck and drafted.

As a Hungarian, I am sometimes frustrated by Orban's policies on Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I have read several times that the 7.62X39 is still used in Russia. At least by their Interior (police type) forces who sometimes prefer the X39 over the 5.45. Do they have enough in the supply chain to arm hundreds of thousands of troops? I dont know and I have doubts.
View Quote

Even if they do, trying to support forces armed with both the AK-12/74 in 5.45x39 and the AKM in 7.62x39 would have to complicate logistics even more for them.

I don't understand why they would even need to be issuing conscripts old AKM rifles. They should have enough AK-74's left over from the 1980s to easily arm a million troops with. Yet apparently they don't. Where the hell did all of them go?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Not to say UKR isn't taking heavy casualties as they probably are, but, Douglas Macgregor.. lol Dudes a chode.

Also, new avatar thanks to CeRuLeaNBLuMaN on twitter. #NAFO
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By anonimovaca:

Why is Ukraine advancing at all though? Do they really need to take territory before the October rains? Ukraine isn’t taking back that much territory, why should hundreds of men die and dozens of vehicles be destroyed for not much land gained?

Maybe Ukraine was trying to cause another mass Russian retreat before the sham referendums. But everyone already knows they are a sham, except for pro-Russians. Doesn’t seem worth it to me to have men die just to disrupt a referendum that doesn’t matter anyway.
View Quote

I also find it strange that Ukraine seems to be clawing forward while taking losses. They have proven to fight smart, there must be a bigger reason than just taking ground. Maybe they need this ground to put the himars in range of something very important.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Wreckshooter:

Like what?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wreckshooter:
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I'd really like to know what the plan is. Ukraine is chewing up russian troops. If putin gets the idea he is going to lose this, he is going to launch a tactical nuke on the battlefield. Then what? Biden has issued a very stern warning. What could we possibly do to russia now without actually shooting at them with american forces? If we do that, it's war. Are we ready to get into an actual war with russia after they have proven they will use nukes? I'm sure everybody is hoping somebody inside russia is going to remove or kill him. Or russia will revolt. We better not depend on that. People already said putin would not use national mobilization. He's doing it while calling it something else. And the second he made the announcement, agents with lists were going door to door handing out notices for people to show up.

Biden isn't doing shit. The opposite of what he says seems to happen

Like what?

Lol why am I not surprised you got offended by my post. If it wasn't for you saying you were a marine I'd swear you were vidman
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I also find it strange that Ukraine seems to be clawing forward while taking losses. They have proven to fight smart, there must be a bigger reason than just taking ground. Maybe they need this ground to put the himars in range of something very important.
View Quote

They have more than 10,000 Russians stuck in one place with limited supply lines. They want to kill or capture them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By anonimovaca:

View Quote

Really? Ukraine took back more than 1,100 square miles in like three days about a week and half ago.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Thanks for that.

That’s a really tough fight.  With the Russian artillery active, and them having their backs against the river they can’t cross, it’s a real deal siege and assault with peer parity.  It seems that they will be stalemated through winter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:

Thanks for that.

That’s a really tough fight.  With the Russian artillery active, and them having their backs against the river they can’t cross, it’s a real deal siege and assault with peer parity.  It seems that they will be stalemated through winter.

This has been discussed pretty thoroughly, but some key quotations:

The Ukrainian government does not usually disclose casualty figures, but the soldiers and commanders interviewed in the past week portrayed the battlefield losses as “high” and “massive.” They described large offensives in which columns of Ukrainian tanks and armored vehicles tried to cross open fields only to be pounded mercilessly by Russian artillery and blown up by Russian mines...

Despite the high stakes, there is little face-to-face combat between the two sides, like there was in the early days of the war in the suburbs of Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital. Each Ukrainian soldier along the southern front carries an assault rifle, but few have fired their weapon...

In the south, death comes at long range. It is indiscriminate and total. When the artillery shells hit, young men press themselves to the earth, hands cupped over their ears, mouths open to let the blast wave ripple through their bodies.
“This is a different kind of war,” said Iryna Vereshchagina, a volunteer doctor working near the front lines. “We’re attacking the Russians but there’s a big payment for this.”
She said that of the hundreds of battlefield casualties she has treated, she has not seen a single gunshot wound.
“So many people are getting blown up,” she said.
She looked down at her boots.
“Sometimes,” she said, “there are just pieces of people left.”...

...And going on the attack is always more perilous than defending an entrenched position, especially when the enemy knows the other side is coming.
All of this has unsettled some Ukrainian soldiers fighting along the front line.
“The problem is that we are advancing with no artillery preparation, without suppressing their firing positions,” said Ihor Kozub, the commander of a volunteer military unit near the southern city of Mykolaiv.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Very good point about testing the waters with chem.
If we hear about NBC gear being rushed to the front units, then we know. I'm fairly confident that some NATO intel will catch wind of the impending NBC use. Question is will it be days or hours before its used.
View Quote

Y'know, you may not see much.

Shoot up an AO with nonpersistent, give it an hour, and go in.  Mass fratricide of conscripts really isn't the issue. He doesn't care.  There will be panic, and the Russians will get a few klicks of advance, but that doesn't matter either.  The question is what we do.  That will drive what will come next.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Willmar:

Perfect adjective for it. Ugly.
View Quote

Not the picture I have imagined of the Russians being routed

Lots of work left to be done.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#49]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Even if they do, trying to support forces armed with both the AK-12/74 in 5.45x39 and the AKM in 7.62x39 would have to complicate logistics even more for them.

I don't understand why they would even need to be issuing conscripts old AKM rifles. They should have enough AK-74's left over from the 1980s to easily arm a million troops with. Yet apparently they don't. Where the hell did all of them go?
View All Quotes

This is like the 20th time we'll be having the exact same discussion, it shouldn't be a surprise anymore.  Where are the infinite tanks?  Where are the infinite artillery shells?  Where are the infinite rockets?  Where is the Air Force?  Where are the trucks?  Where are the radios?  Where are the satellites?  How could they be running out of rations? How could there be plywood in their plate carriers?  How could they be running out of tires?  How could they be running out of boots?  How could their reactive armor boxes be empty?  How could they be running out of.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#50]

View Quote

Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, etc. $$
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2600 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top